These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
Taranogas 3rd
Doomheim
#1441 - 2014-01-27 15:12:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Taranogas 3rd
this thread is horrible, income in high sec is utter **** for a new player, mining does max 9.5-12 mill per hour with a mackinaw (max skills with right ore solo character) and lvl 4 missions are a freaking horrible grind and you NEED max skills + faction/marauder to get the sort of income people brag about isk/hour on lvl 4 missions, that's 9+ months of training.

And the kind of income every one likes to spew with lvl 4 missions is a combined max skilled character + right ship + finding a great LP/isk item + having an alt AND salvaging + looting, that's where you get your max income, now please tell me how someone with all that and should make **** isk? now thing about how a player ALONE and how long he has to wait before even starting to make decent income.

People keep talking about income in each region and never think about how new players (yes genuine new players) can make enough isk to support their pvp and the answer is always (lol join null sec they got SRP) but what if I want to buy my own ships? what if I don't give a **** about nullsec ? **** me right?

Man I was blowing ships up in low sec so fast I barely had enough income and every freaking pirate had his carebear alt (and you know why?? not because high income > null income, but because **** null, not even if the reward is 1 bill/hour will people go there and you know why?? because it's all blue doughnut, you want to people to go to null but you want them to join your side and if they don't you shoot them all because they will take your resources and if they join you still have to contest them with income, see the problem here? no one cares about null income even if it was so high except null players and you're trying to drag others into your misfortune.

Give me the randomness of having faction/deadspace loot or spike rewards than the horrible grind that you have to do in High Sec.

Why would people leave the game if they nerfed high sec? not because they're carebears even if they are, but because if they nerf it too much CCP is pretty much saying all income sucks and you have no way to "sustain" yourselves except in these certain areas, so you either play my way or you don't.
Stop thinking about your old veterans playing for years and start thinking about new players coming who don't want to be a part of your alliance propaganda ****, this stupid "get in or get out mentality".

man null bears are the worst kind, you don't see WHers or low sec pirates complaining except null bears they're freaking everywhere, it's like there's nothing more than L4 missions? every other trade doesn't exist. you're just too scared of your shadow in null even with half the map blue you wouldn't risk an expensive ship for high income.

Faction LP is pretty much dead anyway now (if it wasn't) because of ESS, so thank CCP for that.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1442 - 2014-01-27 15:16:49 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:

"The only way I know how to make income is to shoot NPC-controlled red squares.

Why am I space poor?"

HTFU indeed.

Doesn't it tell you something that what you believe that the only way to make it make sense is to shift the goal posts?

We are indeed talking about combat pve balance (which many people use to make isk). Sure, some people make more building titans....just like you can make more playing the market than running missions. The fact that you can do other things does NOT mean an imbalance does not exist in the one thing we are actually talking about..

Combat based PVE balance in EVE has been screwed up by development choices made by CCP. As it stands right now, the only space that is in the right place on the traditional risk/effort/reward balance scale is wormhole space (most potential rewards + most potential risk).

Null Sec got a boost in Dominion with the system upgrades scheme, but then that got nerfed (and CCP made a huge mistake making anoms the core of the military upgrade system, anoms were never meant for that and the fact that they print isk means that you can't buff null without screw over the whole economy, which is why the 400 mil and hour trackign linked Titans were really really bad and got nerfed so quickly).

Mean while they added incursions (which any fool could have seen would only be popular in high sec) and then wormholes (adding wormholes while still allowing a Sisters of EVe LP store in high sec = a serious imbalance) , recently they buffed Marauders (much much more useful in high sec and even wormhole PVe, much less so in null because bastioning in null is dumb as hell). Low sec lvl 5s were already crap then they added "rewards" top faction warfare and low sec has never been the same sense while people farm a half bil worth of LP per hour with throwaway ships.

So instead of the linear risk/reward/effort scheme (ie most security = least income and least security = best income), we get this crazy mixed up thing in combat PVE where only one part of space (wormhoels) works right:

-Wormholes (best)
-low sec FW farming (second best due to massive isk making from converting LP + throwaway ships)
-High sec incursions, SOE and Thukker missions (third best)
-NPC null (forth, but only because Tech3s are a thing)
-SOV null (fifth (most anoms suck + null exploration is at the mercy of the evil RNG)
-High Sec regular lvl 4 missions (sixth but not far off sov null because of industrial implants)
-non-FW low sec (lvl4/5 missions, low sec exploration) (dead last)

Some of us simply think this is bad for the overall game and results in distorted outcomes (like null players having to have high sec, wormhole or FW alts to make isk to keep null seccing). I guess the rest of you are too busy protecting the status quo to notice.

Thirtythousand
#1443 - 2014-01-27 15:27:50 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
[quote=Pinky Hops]

low sec exploration has good payouts, if your the pirate comming in to kill/steal.

great way to introduce the next step of eve exploration (as high sec is garbage) "welcome to the rest of eve! now gtfo"

Support the updating of rookie ships! Join the discussion https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4222786#post4222786

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1444 - 2014-01-27 15:28:07 UTC
Taranogas 3rd wrote:
this thread is horrible, income in high sec is utter **** for a new player,.

Didn't read the rest of that noise. But income is supposed to be utter crap for a new player.

Thing is, it's not, I've personally helped 4 new players get their skills up enough to fly Maelstroms or Rokhs in high sec incursions. ALL of them went from maelstroms to Machariels or Rokhs to Vindis in very short order using nothing but incursion isk.

You couldn't do that when i started playing. It took me months to pay off my 1st CNR in 2007/8 (they guy who introduced me to EVE loaned it to me) and here you have people with less actual experience and in game SP than I had buying Pirate BSs after one week of incursioning.

Hell, some of my other more veteran carebear buddies of mine who come back to the game can't be paid to rat in null any more, to busy Xing up in incursion chat or running SOE missions in safety.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1445 - 2014-01-27 15:29:49 UTC
Thirtythousand wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
[quote=Pinky Hops]

low sec exploration has good payouts, if your the pirate comming in to kill/steal.

great way to introduce the next step of eve exploration (as high sec is garbage) "welcome to the rest of eve! now gtfo"

The only saving grace to low sec exploration i've found is the chance to get mid level deadspace loot. I did get a Pithum B type invul once, but the competition (while not as bad as high sec) is pretty fierce.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#1446 - 2014-01-27 15:37:01 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

Only the numbers do show that high sec income is better. CCP are only nerfing null income again as an excuse for the ESS, they said it themselves.

Its not a case of HTFU, its a case of high sec giving the best safety coupled with rewards better than null.

Except the numbers don't say that.
You have pulled mythical best case scenario's for high sec income, and are attempting to claim that these cases are sustainable, when they blatantly aren't.
While at the same time refusing any but the worst case null sec scenario's as valid data.

In short you are totally biasing your data set. So of course you are drawing the wrong conclusions from it.

Regardless, Null Sec income is about to get a potential boost, so any further arguments need to wait to see how it plays out in the actual social meta as to how much of a boost it works out to be. (Since even if a roaming null sec gang is stealing isk regularly, that isk is still being earned by someone in null sec)
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1447 - 2014-01-27 15:44:37 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Only the numbers do show that high sec income is better. CCP are only nerfing null income again as an excuse for the ESS, they said it themselves.

Its not a case of HTFU, its a case of high sec giving the best safety coupled with rewards better than null.

You have pulled mythical best case scenario's for high sec income, and are attempting to claim that these cases are sustainable, when they blatantly aren't.
While at the same time refusing any but the worst case null sec scenario's as valid data.

In short you are totally biasing your data set. So of course you are drawing the wrong conclusions from it.

Regardless, Null Sec income is about to get a potential boost, so any further arguments need to wait to see how it plays out in the actual social meta as to how much of a boost it works out to be. (Since even if a roaming null sec gang is stealing isk regularly, that isk is still being earned by someone in null sec)

Actually I was lowballing.

I chose 150 mil for incursions as thats easily sustainable, 200 mil is great but not always possible.

I also chose 100-120 mil for missions as thats more the norm although 180 mil is easily doable in SOE missions.

I chose to use the average income for anoms which is around the 90 mil mark.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#1448 - 2014-01-27 15:48:00 UTC
Taranogas 3rd wrote:
this thread is horrible, income in high sec is utter **** for a new player, mining does max 9.5-12 mill per hour with a mackinaw (max skills with right ore solo character) and lvl 4 missions are a freaking horrible grind and you NEED max skills + faction/marauder to get the sort of income people brag about isk/hour on lvl 4 missions, that's 9+ months of training.

It was a decent post, a little on the ragey side, but this comment you started out with is silly. You talk about new player income and then quote SOLO MINING as an example of how terrible it is? Solo mining being terrible income is not news, nor is it broken. Its fine. New players should know (or be told) that solo mining is terrible (if you're not multitasking). You can get better income doing just about anything else. The hisec incomes people quote for missions are indeed with all those things you mentioned, and thus out of the reach of new players, but by the same token, new players do not need to make 60-100m isk/hr at all to stay in pvp ships.

Also, with about 2 months sp in combat skills, I would say you can make better income in null than in highsec.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1449 - 2014-01-27 15:54:27 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Actually I was lowballing.

I chose 150 mil for incursions as thats easily sustainable, 200 mil is great but not always possible.

I also chose 100-120 mil for missions as thats more the norm although 180 mil is easily doable in SOE missions.

I chose to use the average income for anoms which is around the 90 mil mark.

And all of this is testable, yet the people swearing that what we're saying isn't the case refuse to even try to test it. Deep down the probably know what result they will come up with.

Combat PVE is what i mainly do in EVE and the risk/effort/reward equation is severely F'd up. When (in the pursuit of isk to use doing other things) it becomes a better bet to use a throwaway drake or caracal doing FW lvl 4s or flying a basilisk in a high sec incursion fleet than it is to use an expensive ship in null sec pve, there's a problem, high seccer status quo denial notwithstanding.
E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#1450 - 2014-01-27 16:24:56 UTC
So many variables of what if. I will say if all you do is sit in any sec and only shoot red pve crosses you won’t be with eve very long at all. Regardless of income boredom is this game’s biggest churn creator.

If you dont fix churn it wont matter at all if you can make 500 isk more per hr in hi-sec shooting red crosses.

Worse thing CCP could do is bow down to the forum crybabies squalling over an income nerf.

Do whats best for the game CCP and ignore the basement dwelling trolls still living with Mom and Dad who think they know better.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#1451 - 2014-01-27 16:39:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
I find it funny that the same people who want more hi sec risk are also the same faces who often tell high sec pvpers to get off the undock and do real pvp etc.

Where is this new high sec risk going to come from, exactly?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1452 - 2014-01-27 16:49:32 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
I find it funny that the same people who want more hi sec risk are also the same faces who often tell high sec pvpers to get off the undock and do real pvp etc.

Where is this new high sec risk going to come from, exactly?

Say again?
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1453 - 2014-01-27 16:53:13 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Take a Dominix to null, to an upgraded system. Use it to do anomalies (the most common source of null sec pve isk). See how much you make in a couple hours.

Take the same ship to high sec, Blitz missions for SOE,Thukker or a corp with industial implants in it's LP store, do this for one hour and 45 minutes (giving yourself 15 minutes to convert the LP and sell the items you get to buy orders (ie not even the best isk/lp converstion rates). See how much isk you have.

comparing "the most common source..." with "blitzing missions for very specific corporations..." doesn't look very good

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1454 - 2014-01-27 16:57:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
March rabbit wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Take a Dominix to null, to an upgraded system. Use it to do anomalies (the most common source of null sec pve isk). See how much you make in a couple hours.

Take the same ship to high sec, Blitz missions for SOE,Thukker or a corp with industial implants in it's LP store, do this for one hour and 45 minutes (giving yourself 15 minutes to convert the LP and sell the items you get to buy orders (ie not even the best isk/lp converstion rates). See how much isk you have.

comparing "the most common source..." with "blitzing missions for very specific corporations..." doesn't look very good

Yea it does because that's what a null sec pilot would probably be doing in high sec (because making isk for the sake of doing other things is about minimizing time making isk, unlike making isk for the purpose of just making isk).

My point of talking about the imbalance is that it's so bad that people like me who'd rather do isk making in null sec are effectively punished for doing so (go do an hour of forsaken hubs in a machariel then do an hour of SOE missions and you will understand).

You can't "blitz" anoms also, you have to clear them. If missions in high sec made you clear them they'd be much better balanced.

Anomalies are the staple of null sec combat pve in the way that missions are the staple of high sec combat pve. anomalies can make you (if you use the right ship) more isk than regualr lvl 4s, but not so much more that it becomes mathematically worth the risk (which is one reason so few choose anoms over missions, look at dotlan maps). But compared to SOE and thukker missions, no contest missions win (you can test this for your self) and it's about to get worse on the SOE side because of the Nestor.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1455 - 2014-01-27 16:57:56 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Also, with about 2 months sp in combat skills, I would say you can make better income in null than in highsec.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1456 - 2014-01-27 17:03:51 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Batelle wrote:

Thing is, this isn't really true. A 2 month old in a sniper domi or maelstrom of Attack BC will struggle with sanctums and havens (and forsaken hubs of one of the longer ranged races like guristas or blood raiders). They won't have tech2 guns or drones which are IMO necessary. They won't be able to solo ANY ded plex (Citadel Torps don't give a damn about your MJDing domi lol).

That same 2 month old can get into an incursion fleet in a rokh or maelstrom with meta or faction guns and and due to the incursion mechanics make the same exact isk as the guy flying the 5 bil mach or vindi.
Notorious Fellon
#1457 - 2014-01-27 17:12:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Notorious Fellon
Jenn aSide wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Batelle wrote:

Thing is, this isn't really true. A 2 month old in a sniper domi or maelstrom of Attack BC will struggle with sanctums and havens (and forsaken hubs of one of the longer ranged races like guristas or blood raiders). They won't have tech2 guns or drones which are IMO necessary. They won't be able to solo ANY ded plex (Citadel Torps don't give a damn about your MJDing domi lol).

That same 2 month old can get into an incursion fleet in a rokh or maelstrom with meta or faction guns and and due to the incursion mechanics make the same exact isk as the guy flying the 5 bil mach or vindi.

Yes, a two month old solo pilot in null will struggle compared to a two month old pilot who joins 20 other people to do incursions.

Crazy.

Apples are not like freight trains.

One requires social interaction, the other does not. Now what happens when you take 3-4 of those pilots in null? Now they are clearing belts, anoms, maybe even some low end complexes. They split the loot. Now what happens to your math? I know what happened to me when I went down in null my first time: I made way more than missioning in highsec. How about when we really make a valid comparison, and compare 20 of them working together, 15 of which are not noobs? Typical incursion fleets are not all noobs; so yes those who are in a crap-fit BS still make the same cash even though their contribution is lower. Why? Community. Now add in a split from Null PI. And then Moon Goo?

Stop making these radical comparisons and cherrry-picking your scenarios to support your desired whine.

Should we consider a change to make missions require full clear? Sure, I can get behind that.

Should we consider nerfing all of high sec just because the incursion community has made an ACTUAL COMMUNITY instead of a bunch of trolling asshats (nullsec)? No.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1458 - 2014-01-27 17:22:03 UTC
Notorious Fellon wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Batelle wrote:

Yes, a two month old solo pilot in null will struggle compared to a two month old pilot who joins 20 other people to do incursions.

Crazy.

That same two month old using a domi with faction drones and do the blitzable lvl4 missions. Hell, all you need is a shuttle for recon or cargo delivery.

You can't do that in null sec. No such thing as a blitzable anomaly.

Quote:

Apples are not like freight trains.

One requires social interaction, the other does not. Now what happens when you take 3-4 of those pilots in null? Now they are clearing belts, anoms, maybe even some low end complexes. They split the loot. Now what happens to your math? I know what happened to me when I went down in null my first time: I made way more than missioning in highsec. How about when we really make a valid comparison, and compare 20 of them working together, 15 of which are not noobs? Typical incursion fleets are not all noobs; so yes those who are in a crap-fit BS still make the same cash even though their contribution is lower. Why? Community.

Stop making these radical comparisons and cherrry-picking your scenarios to support your desired whine.

Should we consider a change to make missions require full clear? Sure, I can get behind that.

Should we consider nerfing all of high sec just because the incursion community has made an ACTUAL COMMUNITY instead of a bunch of trolling asshats (nullsec)? No.

The problem with people like this is prejudice. Prejudice against null sec folks makes seeing a very plain imbalance impossible to see.

You could test if for yourself (make a character and 2 months from now use it in null and high sec pve), but I doubt you're interested in the truth.
Anslo
Scope Works
#1459 - 2014-01-27 17:24:17 UTC
Everyone is biased but you, huh Jenn?

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1460 - 2014-01-27 17:30:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Anslo wrote:
Everyone is biased but you, huh Jenn?

Not everyone, just posters from high sec.

More serioulsy, some people can put aside their own self interest, i can. I make a MINT doing SOe missions, incursioning with ISN and tvp and throwing away caracals in FW (which I started doing after I saw this last year). But being able to profit from something doesn't make that something the right way to go.

This is the right wayfor combat pve to go (in descending order):

-Wormholes
-Sov null
-npc null
-low sec
-FW low sec
-high sec (most automated security so the trade off should be least income)

And this is what actually happens for individual income via combat pve:

-Wormholes
-FW
-High sec (incursions and "pirate" missions)
-NPC null
-SOV null
-regular high sec (damn near tied with sov null, TEST it)
-Low sec (still dead last)

The only place that works right is wormholes (mega risk, mega isk). Can you people not see this?