These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1301 - 2014-01-23 15:52:28 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Being able to wardec NPC corps is a bad idea, Kaarous. But there should be actual downsides for being in an NPC corp instead of the lame 10% bounties tax. Also, being in a player corp should have actual upsides for mission runners, miners or producers. At the moment the only reason for a PVE character to be in corp is if they live in a wormhole or if they research.

It's not ureasonable to leave a character in NPC corp because the game offers no reason to take it out. unless to a one-man folding taxdodge corp for mission runners. This is a fault in the game, people can't be blamed for doing the best they can.

Agreed heavily on the lack of incentives. That's a tragedy in my opinion. It follows the same issue where NPC controlled manufacturing is inherently superior to player controlled manufacturing.

Aside from a chat channel, a highsec corp offers very little.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1302 - 2014-01-23 15:53:00 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
My point is that a mechanic exists that prevent those conditions from causing death as often as it should. The main intended way to circumvent that mechanic, wardecs, is toothless since you dodge a dec for a pitiful amount of isk.

And I am betting that this will just get us talking at each other in circles again like a bad Michael Jackson video. You can't shoot at these people because of the C word. And it would be kind of presumptuous of me to say that you wanting to shoot at these people will increase their risk and lessen yours if the C word were nerfed.

Back into the circle we go.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Scarlett Wesson
Doomheim
#1303 - 2014-01-23 15:55:04 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Or, you just give people the ability to wardec NPC corps in exchange for being locked out of that corp's faction's stations.

FYP. Being locked out of a single corp's stations is not enough of an inconvenience, if you compare it to the number of potential targets you get.
Notorious Fellon
#1304 - 2014-01-23 15:59:21 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Being able to wardec NPC corps is a bad idea, Kaarous. But there should be actual downsides for being in an NPC corp instead of the lame 10% bounties tax. Also, being in a player corp should have actual upsides for mission runners, miners or producers. At the moment the only reason for a PVE character to be in corp is if they live in a wormhole or if they research.

It's not ureasonable to leave a character in NPC corp because the game offers no reason to take it out. unless to a one-man folding taxdodge corp for mission runners. This is a fault in the game, people can't be blamed for doing the best they can.

I feel dirty for agreeing with a Benny Ohu post. Like getting an open mouth kiss from an aunt; that dirty.

Crime, it is not a "career", it is a lifestyle.

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1305 - 2014-01-23 16:03:42 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
... like a bad Michael Jackson video.

HEY! Evil

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#1306 - 2014-01-23 16:03:53 UTC
Notorious Fellon wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

I feel dirty for agreeing with a Benny Ohu post. Like getting an open mouth kiss from an aunt; that dirty.

it's pretty much the same cause as the 'nullsec' complaints. some parts of the game, especially npc parts, are robbing everyone of depth and emergent gameplay in a game where depth is supposed to be the order of the day
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1307 - 2014-01-23 16:08:49 UTC
Scarlett Wesson wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Or, you just give people the ability to wardec NPC corps in exchange for being locked out of that corp's faction's stations.

FYP. Being locked out of a single corp's stations is not enough of an inconvenience, if you compare it to the number of potential targets you get.

Given what we have found even locking us out of every station in highsec wouldn't be enough. High sec players as a group just dont defend themselves, at all. War decs on NPC corps is a bad idea.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1308 - 2014-01-23 16:10:22 UTC
Notorious Fellon wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

I saw this:

Benny Ohu wrote:
'nerf highsec all the way into the ground' is not a good way to balance things, it's not fair to the people that want to live there

In the CSM Assembly Hall and nearly lost my ****.

Damn you Benny making me like your posting! Blink

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#1309 - 2014-01-23 16:27:27 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
In the CSM Assembly Hall and nearly lost my ****.

this has pretty much always been the thing, some people just flip out and cry 'you're trying to force highseccers where they don't want to go' or 'they're trying to destroy highsec' or something i don't know

there are some nerfs that are necessary but they're only to improve the game not as jealousy or hatred or to force people into a playstyle whatever the insane GD 'highseccer' crowd think
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#1310 - 2014-01-23 16:27:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
There are a couple of parallel conversations here. First, the interesting thing about highsec L4 income is that it's actually pretty bad unless and until the mission runner gets engaged in the market--that is, with other players. Similarly, baltec1 makes a lot of his ISK blowing up freighters, not running missions. The real money in high sec is in interaction with other players, either in the context of the market or in the context of the logistics and PVE that the market drives (which is why there are so many people flying for SoE now--it's not because the agent rewards are so hot). As incentive structures go, this is actually less broken than nullsec ratting, where you get paid in straight ISK without having to interact with anyone. It's better for retention, too, because other people are the game. You can nerf LP payouts for high sec missions, sure, but not without provoking inflation. If the numbers Mabrick posted recently are at all accurate in the general case, the ISK sunk cashing out LPs is comparable to the ISK generated by bounties. That's not a bad outcome.

But even if you do that, so what? the real money is in the market. That's what makes the LPs worthwhile; it's what draws all those big, fat freighters, and keeps the barges out in the belts. And guess what? No safety, no market. There's a reason why every attempt to build a Jita in nullsec has failed: the mechanics don't support the creation of one. The nearest approximation are the trade centers of huge alliances, but as long as those remain walled gardens they will never achieve the status of a major high sec hub. Not only that, but the fact that you can send fleets of freighters to Jita and be reasonably assured that they'll get there also fuels the market.

Then, sure, you can buff player-owned manufacturing (and please CCP, make it so!) but again, proximity to Jita (or Amarr, etc.) will still be one of the major variables for any would-be mogul to consider.

On top of all that rests market trading, which tends to be where real fortunes are made. (And, incidentally, high sec is centrally located: it's a literal hub.)

So, the question is, how do you "nerf high sec" in any substantive way without neck-punching the EVE economy? And if you do neck-punch the EVE economy, what next? Is someone going to try and set up a new Jita in NRDS Providence? How's that going to work out? (Not to mention that the only effective way to nerf high sec income is to nerf player interaction, and why do we want to do that?)

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

ZynnLee Akkori
Perkone
Caldari State
#1311 - 2014-01-23 16:44:13 UTC
Kira Enomoto wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

No amount of nerfing high sec changes the dynamic of dicking around with dipshits. If anything it just puts more dipshits in Null and for those of use not interested in ISK/hr or dicking around with dipshits it makes Null no more desirable.

The people I have spoken to in game stay in HS not because of the ISK, but because they cba to deal with the null residents.

This is a situation those who dwell in null have put themselves in, and they are the only ones who can remedy it. CPP can't do anything about the big alliances being comple arses to all those who are not a part of them. (and even to people who are.)

This has been pointed out in other threads. It's karma come back round to bite them in the ass. The only people who love Null seem to be people who love PvP content (those macho people we should all want to be like... HTFU!!). The rest of the people in Null are hose who like to do additional things other than shoot spaceships, but are willing to deal with the large burden of avoiding combat while they do this non-PvP stuff.

As it stands, I'd go to null specifically for pvp and that is all. Well, I guess if my corp held a null WH or anomaly run I would go in the group. I would certainly never go to Null solo for PvE (except maybe in a BR to stock stations with basic goods to sell).

Null has long treated highsec/carebears/industrialist as lepers, and tried to make their life as difficult as possible. It shouldn't be a shock when none of us are willing to voluntarily subject themselves to the asshattery in Null. If there weren't so many people in Null who's 'fun' depends on ruining the fun of others, people might be willing to spend more time out there.

A lot of people in highsec are obviously unwilling to let the people in Null determine when/how/where/what kind of game they play. Fix that, and you'll see more people in Null.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1312 - 2014-01-23 16:54:37 UTC
Quote:
Null has long treated highsec/carebears/industrialist as lepers, and tried to make their life as difficult as possible. It shouldn't be a shock when none of us are willing to voluntarily subject themselves to the asshattery in Null.

I missed the part where anyone is asking them to.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1313 - 2014-01-23 16:55:37 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
There are a couple of parallel conversations here. First, the interesting thing about highsec L4 income is that it's actually pretty bad unless and until the mission runner gets engaged in the market--that is, with other players. Similarly, baltec1 makes a lot of his ISK blowing up freighters, not running missions. The real money in high sec is in interaction with other players, either in the context of the market or in the context of the logistics and PVE that the market drives (which is why there are so many people flying for SoE now--it's not because the agent rewards are so hot). As incentive structures go, this is actually less broken than nullsec ratting, where you get paid in straight ISK without having to interact with anyone. It's better for retention, too, because other people are the game. You can nerf LP payouts for high sec missions, sure, but not without provoking inflation. If the numbers Mabrick posted recently are at all accurate in the general case, the ISK sunk cashing out LPs is comparable to the ISK generated by bounties. That's not a bad outcome.

But even if you do that, so what? the real money is in the market. That's what makes the LPs worthwhile; it's what draws all those big, fat freighters, and keeps the barges out in the belts. And guess what? No safety, no market. There's a reason why every attempt to build a Jita in nullsec has failed: the mechanics don't support the creation of one. The nearest approximation are the trade centers of huge alliances, but as long as those remain walled gardens they will never achieve the status of a major high sec hub. Not only that, but the fact that you can send fleets of freighters to Jita and be reasonably assured that they'll get there also fuels the market.

Then, sure, you can buff player-owned manufacturing (and please CCP, make it so!) but again, proximity to Jita (or Amarr, etc.) will still be one of the major variables for any would-be mogul to consider.

On top of all that rests market trading, which tends to be where real fortunes are made. (And, incidentally, high sec is centrally located: it's a literal hub.)

So, the question is, how do you "nerf high sec" in any substantive way without neck-punching the EVE economy? And if you do neck-punch the EVE economy, what next? Is someone going to try and set up a new Jita in NRDS Providence? How's that going to work out? (Not to mention that the only effective way to nerf high sec income is to nerf player interaction, and why do we want to do that?)

Thank you Dersen. This is the long view I've been trying to draw out. No one in this thread has submitted anything resembling a plan or proposal including its short term and long term effects as well as its short term and long term goals. It's all been, "Nerf High Sec". Nothing specific mind you - just a rallying cry of people who think it's too safe or too rich.

Benny Ohu wrote:
this has pretty much always been the thing, some people just flip out and cry 'you're trying to force highseccers where they don't want to go' or 'they're trying to destroy highsec' or something i don't know

there are some nerfs that are necessary but they're only to improve the game not as jealousy or hatred or to force people into a playstyle whatever the insane GD 'highseccer' crowd think

And still I've seen nothing specific in this thread. As I told Baltec, a nerf for the sake of null sec is not unreasonable, but he needs to be more specific so it can be evaluated by everyone. And the insane people are still going to be insane but I think, with actual specific initiatives and some wisdom behind the existence of those initiatives would quell any rebellion of the insane.

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1314 - 2014-01-23 16:59:43 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:
Null has long treated highsec/carebears/industrialist as lepers, and tried to make their life as difficult as possible. It shouldn't be a shock when none of us are willing to voluntarily subject themselves to the asshattery in Null.

baltec1 wrote:
The goal isnt to make more isk, it to make null desirable to go to.

If Baltec is not asking people in High Sec to come to Null Sec then who is he asking to come to Null Sec?

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1315 - 2014-01-23 17:03:11 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

baltec1 wrote:

If Baltec is not asking people in High Sec to come to Null Sec then who is he asking to come to Null Sec?

The nullsec players. Because they all have mission alts or incursion alts in highsec. Which is the problem in the first place, you may recall.

This is because there just is not enough to go around in nullsec, thanks to the income available being subtractive.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Anslo
Scope Works
#1316 - 2014-01-23 17:12:49 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

baltec1 wrote:

The nullsec players. Because they all have mission alts or incursion alts in highsec. Which is the problem in the first place, you may recall.

This is because there just is not enough to go around in nullsec, thanks to the income available being subtractive.

Is this a joke? Everytime I do exploration in nul the majority of systems are (1) empty and (2) chock FULL of combat sites and DED plexes. Untouched. Unthreatened. I'm not saying they trump incursions in terms of isk/hr, but don't sit there saying there is not enough good isk sources in nul sec. That's a blatant lie.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1317 - 2014-01-23 17:22:19 UTC
Anslo wrote:

Is this a joke? Everytime I do exploration in nul the majority of systems are (1) empty and (2) chock FULL of combat sites and DED plexes. Untouched. Unthreatened. I'm not saying they trump incursions in terms of isk/hr, but don't sit there saying there is not enough good isk sources in nul sec. That's a blatant lie.

You mistake my point.

Yes, the individual upper bounds are higher.

But DED sites are subtractive. Once you do them, it's gone and someone else can't come along and do it. Once that income is taken, it's gone. Furthermore, it's far more vulnerable to disruption, in which case your isk/hr goes to zero.

As opposed to L4s which are multiplicative, and incursions which are also subtractive but far more reliable/less vulnerable/better income.

To anyone who is actually trying to make money, there is only one clear choice here. Even Jenn Aside, who does DED sites and such on a regular basis, does it for fun, not money, because the isk is better elsewhere.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Anslo
Scope Works
#1318 - 2014-01-23 17:35:03 UTC
OK then. So the big issue is reliable sources of isk matching the potential of what can be made in nul by someone. I can see that. But what about this?

The nature of nul is such that, to conquer it and the moons and resources in it worth billions upon billions, one must work together with others to get the rewards. Alliances. To reap the isk, people work together and work hard. That in mind, nul takes hard TEAMwork to benefit from. Nul isn't about solo isk making. It's about doing that, and other things, together.

I can't think of a better way to word this...hope my thought came across. Maybe someone else can phrase it better.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1319 - 2014-01-23 17:37:24 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Anslo wrote:

You mistake my point.

Yes, the individual upper bounds are higher.

But DED sites are subtractive. Once you do them, it's gone and someone else can't come along and do it. Once that income is taken, it's gone. Furthermore, it's far more vulnerable to disruption, in which case your isk/hr goes to zero.

As opposed to L4s which are multiplicative, and incursions which are also subtractive but far more reliable/less vulnerable/better income.

To anyone who is actually trying to make money, there is only one clear choice here. Even Jenn Aside, who does DED sites and such on a regular basis, does it for fun, not money, because the isk is better elsewhere.

And back to circles.

So are we gong to make DED multiplicative or Agent L4s subtractive?

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#1320 - 2014-01-23 17:38:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
ZynnLee Akkori wrote:
A lot of people in highsec are obviously unwilling to let the people in Null determine when/how/where/what kind of game they play. Fix that, and you'll see more people in Null.

Well, to 'fix that' you have to look at why they do it in the first place.

As someone in another thread said (paraphrased), "you know what we call people who don't min-max in PVP? 'Dead'." Now add the consequence of loss of sovereignty, and potential billions of assets getting locked into a now-hostile station that you once used for staging. Nobody is less capable of min-maxing than the new player. Sure, you can put them in a tackle frigate and point them at someone, but because they're probably going to head straight for the enemy fleet or something like that, and because their characters' Navigation skills are poor, their own navigation skills are undeveloped, and their frigate is crap-fit, they're probably going to get blapped. If the fleet meta doesn't even require tackle (sniper Nagas, say), then what? From a min-max point of view, you want people to fly the ships that will win the fight, fly them well, know how to follow FC commands, and so on, because the alternative can be costly. Larger alliances tend to be more newbie friendly because they tend to have no problem fielding numbers.

Similarly, with industrial players: the current meta favors numbers more or less absolutely, at least until the server goes wobbly. Since the gaining and losing of sov is currently determined by ship-to-ship combat, every player who is not in a combat ship for a fight is a liability. Even if they are, if they haven't spent much time in it then they're probably not very good, and so they won't be as effective. if their alliance loses a fight on an important timer, the number of ships made and the amount of ore mined doesn't matter. Besides, anyone doing industry in null sec is either mining rare ores that aren't available anywhere else, or being deliberately inefficient.

Similarly, again, nullsec industry is in high sec, mostly around Jita, and mostly done with plausibly deniable alt corps or NPC alts, because for a variety of reasons that 's the most sensible place to do industry. I have no doubt that the Goons could move out of the Forge tomorrow and build out an impressive number of manufacturing outposts in their space, but if they did so they would be 20-30 jumps from Jita instead of 0-5--and Jita is where money is made--and they'd be working out of destructible, vulnerable outposts while some rival nullsec alliance moved into the generous and impregnable industrial and logistical capacity of The (aptly-named) Forge, thus gaining a clear advantage. Why would the Goons cede such an advantage to anyone? Nobody else in nullsec would.

That's not to say that there's no problem, nor to say that the problem is intractable. There are some interesting approaches that pop out of any close analysis. But the most important thing you have to do if you want to be able to understand what the problems in EVE are is assume that the players are responding more-or-less intelligently to the incentives the game offers, and more so as the penalties for failure increase. If you dismiss people as jerks, or idiots, or whatever other label springs to mind, you're only blinding yourself (even if they are being jerks: that's not interesting; what's interesting is why).

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!