These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1201 - 2014-01-22 20:13:15 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
This is about game balance. If there is no reason to go to null then people will not go to null, if the only way to fix the game is to nerf high sec then thats what must happen.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the primary reason most people don't head to null is because of the ****** politics and asshattery that is perceived to go on there, whether true or not. I for one, don't want to surrender my autonomy and my fun/play time to someone else.
You want more people in null? What have you done to change that perception? What has your alliance done to change that perception, besides admitting that its goal is to ruin everyone else's game Roll?

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1202 - 2014-01-22 20:13:30 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Nerfs that effect other areas of space are not nerfs to highsec, they are nerfs to everything...

High end anom nerfs on the other hand, are nerfs to just nullsec.

And this is exactly the double standard I speak of. Let's take this one step at a time. First, list the nerfs you consider to be exclusive to null. And keep in mind I'm using your own definition of "nerf". For example, by your own standards, a nerf to the Forsaken sites is not a nerf to null because these sites exist outside of null.

These forsaken sites could not be run like the ones in sov null. It was a nerf to sov null to stop activity only happening in sov nul.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1203 - 2014-01-22 20:15:17 UTC
Quote:
You already are.
So is Baltec.

That is correct.

And my presence in highsec is a bad thing for plenty of people. I go out of my way to make this so, for as many people as I can.

Moreso Baltec than I, however, at least for anyone who pilots a freighter. Pretty sure I can lay about a dozen freighter kills at the feet of Bat Country in the last few weeks.

But this isn't *all* of them. If you really think that some highsec mission alts equal the entirety of a massive nullsec alliance descending on the denizens of highsec... then I have a bridge to sell you.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#1204 - 2014-01-22 20:16:28 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Tell me why you would take the greater risks in null sov space to earn less than in high sec with full concord protection?

To have fun. Understand sir that ISK/hr is not how I measure success. The problem is that I've never really made the connection between Null and a "fun" place. Your results and experience may differ.

If I were to play the role of an ISK/hr whore, you would have to make it really worth my while to get me to go to Null. But I can also tell you that I:

Do not currently rake in 150-180 million ISK/hr running missions.
Do not run any incursions.

You might recall that I'm "doing it wrong".

Honestly, I don't have a dog in this fight. But you seem convinced that:

1) CCP is ******* clueless about what is happening in Null Sec.

And

2) CCP is not ruining the game, they're just ruining YOUR game.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1205 - 2014-01-22 20:17:16 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Billy McCandless wrote:

So why not just pop into NPC Null for your LP?

Not only can these handful of systems not support tens of thousand players but if we even try they will be **** caged by every hostile power going.

Plus it does not fix the problem of the vast bulk of null sec being useless.

Was there ever a reason given why some space is literraly **** in null? Not why it is because thats documented somewhere I could probably read but why it was created that way? Why to 0.0 to -1.0 "hidden" sec status and all. Why not only different kind of rat and ice like in high?

The answer is long and complicated. Basically, the problem with null is CCPs piecemeal approach to things.

When I started, anomalies and complexes alike had to be scanned down. Belt ratting was a MAJOR source of income (so much so that the most coveted systems for ratting where those with a lot of belts, blue on blue fights would occur sometimes when one guy was chaining and some idiot would mess up his chain). But all in all Null sec couldn't even support the paltry sums of characters it had back then.

Then came Dominion and the ability to upgrade systems. it was great, you could take any system and make it militarily viable enough to support 3, 4 , maybe 5 people doing anomalies at a time and a similar number of people mining (with complexes and wormholes appearing in systems more often with the right upgrades, those were basically a bonus). The problem was that it made ALL space the exact same.

That's where the nerfing started, in the name of "driving conflict" CCP radically changed the miltary upgrade system, now the VAST majority of sov null sec could no longer support even ONE ratter with enough isk per hour to make living in that system a viable alternative to high sec with it's endless lvl 4 missions and now incursions.. Overnight null sec turned into the vast space-desert it was before, and it's stayed that way.

At the core of the problem was the fact that CCP used existing content (anomalies) are the core of it's military upgrade scheme. Anomalies POUR liquid isk into the economy, and this was exacerbated by CCP ending gun mining, which mean that 8 regions that weren't injecting any isk into the economy (Drone Regions) were now just like the rest of SOV null. 8 new isk spewing regions didn't help the EVe economy one bit.

What CCP should have done instead of using anoms as the base of the military upgrade scheme was what they did with low sec; introduced LP (FW, lvl5 missions) or tag 9clone soldier) based ways to make isk. Anomalies were never designed to be a large scale isk harvesting activity.

Because anomalies spew liquid isk, doing any buffing of null is a mistake because stuffing the economy with new isk is a mistake. When it comes to pew pew PVE, CCP has options, fix anomalies to spew something other than isk, or(and?) nerf the ridicules high isk activities of high sec that should exist in the 1st place.

With industry, it's a whole different thing. Null industry will NEVER be able to compete with high sec industry as long high industry is basically free and npc based. That's where the nerfing needs to happen.

The situation isn't that high sec is a bunch of fat cats sitting around, it's that those of us who would not have to deal with being in high sec are stuck. Our choices are live in null sec and suffer in a sub optimal situation, or stay connected at the hip to high sec. CCP talked about the idea of living in null in a self sufficient fashion, but it's just not possible while it's cheaper to just ship everything from jita, and it's cheaper because the game is broken.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1206 - 2014-01-22 20:17:20 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
This is about game balance. If there is no reason to go to null then people will not go to null, if the only way to fix the game is to nerf high sec then thats what must happen.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the primary reason most people don't head to null is because of the ****** politics and asshattery that is perceived to go on there, whether true or not. I for one, don't want to surrender my autonomy and my fun/play time to someone else.
You want more people in null? What have you done to change that perception? What has your alliance done to change that perception, besides admitting that its goal is to ruin everyone else's game Roll?

Well there is the fact that we have made CCP fix several bugs and pushed to fix several more broken areas.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1207 - 2014-01-22 20:18:24 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Tell me why you would take the greater risks in null sov space to earn less than in high sec with full concord protection?

To have fun. Understand sir that ISK/hr is not how I measure success.

So nerfing high sec income wont be an issue for you then.

TharOkha
0asis Group
#1208 - 2014-01-22 20:21:08 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

My house is ******.

Your house should be ****** too.

Because that philosophy has always improved the quality of life for all parties involved. Roll

Maybe thats the reason why are null sec SOE mission hubs sooooo much populated compared to those in hisec right? Not to mention that nullsec SOE pays 50% more LPs than in hisec.
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1209 - 2014-01-22 20:23:34 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
These forsaken sites could not be run like the ones in sov null. It was a nerf to sov null to stop activity only happening in sov nul.

baltec1, this nerf did not just affect your null sec blaster boat. Anyone and everyone running these sites were affected, irregardless on where they spawned. You know this.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1210 - 2014-01-22 20:23:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Kimmi Chan wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

To have fun.
Understand sir that ISK/hr is not how I measure success. The problem is that I've never really made the connection between Null and a "fun" place. Your results and experience may differ.

If I were to play the role of an ISK/hr *****, you would have to make it really worth my while to get me to go to Null. But I can also tell you that I:

Do not currently rake in 150-180 million ISK/hr running missions.
Do not run any incursions.

You might recall that I'm "doing it wrong".

Honestly, I don't have a dog in this fight. But you seem convinced that:

1) CCP is ******* clueless about what is happening in Null Sec.

And

2) CCP is not ruining the game, they're just ruining YOUR game.

I underlined the problem. The only reason to go to null is "just for kicks". The only way to maintain a reasonable lifestyle in EVE (reasonable meaning "making enough isk to do what you want such as throwing away ships in pvp or losing ships in say a wormhole) is to be a slave to high sec.

It wasn't always that way. used to be that (at least with combat pve, industry has always be screwy), you wanted the kind of isk you can make right now in an incursion or from SOE/Thukker missions, you went to null sec and risked losing your ship. now you risk nothing but a gank squad if you are too shiney or some pissed off Germans popping your MOM ahead of schedule.....

CCP needs to restore the balance. The only place in EVE that works right nowadays are wormholes (maximum risk, maximum rewards).
Billy McCandless
Zacharia Explorations Group
#1211 - 2014-01-22 20:23:55 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Well there is the fact that we have made CCP fix several bugs and pushed to fix several more broken areas.

Yes but more to the point, are you more concerned with your own profitability in your space, or are you saying it would be better for all if more people went there?

Im just of the opinion that while, I accept, its possible to mission scan and even mine in null, without doing the Grand Alliance dance (Im avoiding the G word cos it offends Jenn for some reason), its impossible for anyone to live there.

So, this leaves the situation that Grand Alliances can live there but not profit and small operators can profit but not live there.

Thats certainly how it seems to be falling.

"Thread locked for being deemed a total loss." - ISD Ezwal

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1212 - 2014-01-22 20:25:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

baltec1, this nerf did not just affect your null sec blaster boat. Anyone and everyone running these sites were affected, irregardless on where they spawned. You know this.

This is incorrect, Baltec isn't talking about the npc AI change or anything like that, he's talking about the forsaken hub nerf, exclusive to null sec due to the military upgrades scheme.

Yea, you can get 'a' forsaken hub outside of null, but you can't get them to respawn on command.
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1213 - 2014-01-22 20:27:53 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Yeah, I'm also for fixing bugs, especially those that affect me the greatest. It doesn't mean I'm promoting an exodus into null.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1214 - 2014-01-22 20:28:52 UTC
TharOkha wrote:

Maybe thats the reason why are null sec SOE mission hubs sooooo much populated compared to those in hisec right? Not to mention that nullsec SOE pays 50% more LPs than in hisec.

You expect us to dump tens of thousands of our people into fewer than ten systems out of several thousand?

We want sov null to be viable, telling people to just go to NPC null does not solve the massive problem that sov null has.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1215 - 2014-01-22 20:29:56 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Yeah, I'm also for fixing bugs, especially those that affect me the greatest. It doesn't mean I'm promoting an exodus into null.

Tech nerf. Who just also happened to own most of the tech moons again?
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1216 - 2014-01-22 20:32:44 UTC  |  Edited by: MatrixSkye Mk2
baltec1 wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

The tech nerf was actually a fix. Tech is not even an R64! Come on, you know this :).

Tech is R16, if I recall correctly. And the price soared WAY above any R64 out there.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1217 - 2014-01-22 20:34:56 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

They couldn't run them like in null sov because they have no access to sov upgrades. It is impossible to do what we were doing outside of sov space.

The nerf was only aimed at sov space.
Mario Putzo
#1218 - 2014-01-22 20:35:12 UTC
The obvious answer is to buff lowsec. If null is too poor, and highsec is to rich yet changing either would disrupt either...clearly the only answer is to make Lowsec the area to make all the isk.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1219 - 2014-01-22 20:36:33 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

That's right.

Lets not forget the high end DEd complex nerf. Used to be that 10/10s used to have more overseer personal effects in them.

for example, the Angel 10/10 (Angel Cartel Naval Shipyard) used to drop 500 mil worth of OPEs (5 OPEs in all). So you could go into that 10/10 knowing you were gonna atleast make 500 mil even if you got no deadspace drop. It was worthwhile to take freinds, you could still make a profit.

Now it's foolish to take friends because a lot of time you'll get nothing good and have to split 200 mil 2 or 3 ways when you all could have made more isk running missions in high sec in the time it took you to clear the 1st 4 rooms and kill the boss in the 5th.

Hows that for a null only nerf?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1220 - 2014-01-22 20:37:54 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

The tech nerf was actually a fix. Tech is not even an R64! Come on, you know this :).

Tech was by far the best moon to own for years. We said it was a bad change when they nerfed the old moneypot that BoB owned in fortress delve.

Learn your history.