These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#341 - 2014-01-12 01:38:04 UTC
Quote:
So what kind of post-apocalyptic vision do you guys propose for high sec, terrible enough to motivate all those 'risk-takers' to travel back to null where it is already so safe it's laughable? Whether you nerf high sec or buff null, the net result is buffing null. So how much booty is going to be enough to settle this argument definatively? Or what kind of scavanger/armageddon vision for high sec would supply null with enough of a sense of superiority to end this debate?

My point on it has been clear for some time.

Highsec's isk/risk ratio is too skewed toward isk.

I want to introduce more risk into their lives.

Make wardecs generate killrights on anyone who leaves corp during a war. That'll do for starters. I am not fool enough to think that it shouldn't be iterative.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#342 - 2014-01-12 01:46:10 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

And who is it exactly that is trying to play like other people don't exist? Are you referring to hi sec players? Players avoiding PVP? Because it seems to me these players are playing exactly how the mechanics allow them to play.

Clearly, you haven't spent enough time harassing highsec miners. They're some of the biggest culprits. Mission runners too, have a tendency to explode when you interact with them in any way that breaks their fugue state.

Quote:
I haven't (combat) PVP'd in my entire stay in Eve (~8 years) except maybe for once or twice, even though I spend most of my time in lo sec (75% of my time, to give a number). Do you think I'm playing the game wrong? Do you think I'm playing like other people don't exist?

Entirely depends on you.

The real industrialist players are to be lauded and praised. Although since you said lowsec I'd love to know precisely what activity you pursue.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Deunan Tenephais
#343 - 2014-01-12 01:58:14 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
That's the problem. There is no "equilibrium", there is nothing "all sides agree upon".

It's just them getting what they want, over and over again.

Every nerf, every time, the real players adapt and find ways to play our game. And every time, they say that we shouldn't be allowed to do it.

A simple search of the forums shows this off clearly. "Freighters should be able to be bumped!" "Freighters need more EHP so they cant be ganked!" "No one should be able to go into my mission pocket!" "Ban people who use Margin Trading scams!"

They never stop, no matter how much they take, it's never enough for them.

Oh please, don't play coy, both sides do it.
We are posting in a thread where the very first post is made of total sycophantry toward nerfing highsec security/income, pretending for a kind of better-ever-after if it happens.

And about increasing highsec security through years, CCP did that to try to better the players' retention rate, not because some entitlement minded people were moaning that they wanted Simcity In Space.

On a personnal level, what I would like to see happen is for concord intervention mechanisms to now have 2 phases:
-a battle detection phase during which there is a X% chance per each tick of a yet to be determined span of time for concord detectors to notice the fight happening, the percentage being directly proportionnal to the security rating of the system;
-the intervention phase proper, more or less as it is now.

It would make it more realistic, cops need to know there is an agression before stopping it.
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#344 - 2014-01-12 02:00:51 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Clearly, you haven't spent enough time harassing highsec miners. They're some of the biggest culprits. Mission runners too, have a tendency to explode when you interact with them in any way that breaks their fugue state.

If I were out "harassing" players it'd be a bit naïve of me to expect them to welcome my behavior with open arms. But more interesting I think, what is your motivation for harassing them?

Quote:
Although since you said lowsec I'd love to know precisely what activity you pursue.

Mostly POS maintenance. I don't get to log in often due to the type of work I do and lifestyle I live. And when I have the time I dabble on missions too; in both, lo and hi sec. Though the missioning is for fun mostly. I'm the type of player that loves to collect isk. It's how I like to measure my success in the game. Combat PVP has never been my thing.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Lady Areola Fappington
#345 - 2014-01-12 02:05:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Areola Fappington
Deunan Tenephais wrote:

Oh please, don't play coy, both sides do it.
We are posting in a thread where the very first post is made of total sycophantry toward nerfing highsec security/income, pretending for a kind of better-ever-after if it happens.

And about increasing highsec security through years, CCP did that to try to better the players' retention rate, not because some entitlement minded people were moaning that they wanted Simcity In Space.

On a personnal level, what I would like to see happen is for concord intervention mechanisms to now have 2 phases:
-a battle detection phase during which there is a X% chance per each tick of a yet to be determined span of time for concord detectors to notice the fight happening, the percentage being directly proportionnal to the security rating of the system;
-the intervention phase proper, more or less as it is now.

It would make it more realistic, cops need to know there is an agression before stopping it.

I've always said, the biggest flaw in EVE is the hard-set "walls". 0.5 to 0.4 is a huge mental step to take. 0.1 to 0.0 is another, but not as large.

The easy fix I've proposed, have concord response be a percentage scaled to the system you are in. 1.0=100% response, 0.9=90%, and on down the line. Tear down the "Berlin Wall" separating high and low, and let people choose what level of "protection" they are willing to live with.

Hell, throw some skills into it, even. Good guys can have a "fast response" skill, upping the arrival percentage, making it more risky to attack em. Bad doods can have a "evasion" skill, lowering percent chance of response. Maybe even toss in some ship, implant, and/or modules that change those percentages too.

It almost fits RL police, in a way. In the nice rich neighborhoods, the 5-0 show up for any call from grandma. They ain't stopping for jaywalkers in the slums though.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#346 - 2014-01-12 02:11:46 UTC
Quote:
If I were out "harassing" players it'd be a bit naïve of me to expect them to welcome my behavior with open arms. But more interesting I think, what is your motivation for harassing them?

Mostly because it's funny that they explode into tears and anger when you do it. Especially when you point out how easily they could have avoided you by actually playing the game. But no, they just keep on going afk when they do anything, and somehow expect that consequences are things that only happen to other people.

But if I had to give a reason, my primary motivation would be because it's funny.

Deunan Tenephais wrote:
Oh please, don't play coy, both sides do it. ... And about increasing highsec security through years, CCP did that to try to better the players' retention rate, not because some entitlement minded people were moaning that they wanted Simcity In Space.

So, both sides don't actually do it. One does.

I find it funny though, that all of these "player retention" changes happen to coincide so neatly with what the SimCity crowd, as you called them, wanted out of it. That being, to crowd the other side out of the game as much as they can.

Remember what I said about them getting their way because they keep bleating about they'll quit if they don't get what they want?

Well, I don't believe in coincidences.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#347 - 2014-01-12 02:20:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:
So what kind of post-apocalyptic vision do you guys propose for high sec, terrible enough to motivate all those 'risk-takers' to travel back to null where it is already so safe it's laughable? Whether you nerf high sec or buff null, the net result is buffing null. So how much booty is going to be enough to settle this argument definatively? Or what kind of scavanger/armageddon vision for high sec would supply null with enough of a sense of superiority to end this debate?

Make wardecs generate killrights on anyone who leaves corp during a war. That'll do for starters. I am not fool enough to think that it shouldn't be iterative.

I really do not see what forcing casual players, especially the ones with real lives who are not glued to the keyboard every night while mummy brings them snacks and dinner, to just quit can achieve.

I am aware some people would prefer a game full of snotty nosed school boys, unemployed people, people in institutions of various types and really bored housewives and wish that everyone else would just leave ... but that is unlikely to achieve much for the long term success of the game.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#348 - 2014-01-12 02:22:39 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

I really do not see what forcing casual players to quit can achieve.

Because NPC corps don't exist, right?

Best Meltdown Ever.

Deunan Tenephais
#349 - 2014-01-12 02:28:46 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
Oh please, don't play coy, both sides do it. ... And about increasing highsec security through years, CCP did that to try to better the players' retention rate, not because some entitlement minded people were moaning that they wanted Simcity In Space.

I find it funny though, that all of these "player retention" changes happen to coincide so neatly with what the SimCity crowd, as you called them, wanted out of it. That being, to crowd the other side out of the game as much as they can.

Remember what I said about them getting their way because they keep bleating about they'll quit if they don't get what they want?

They were moaning but it does not mean CCP listened to them, they more probably followed their own ideas about how to make more poeple stay in the game.
After all, you admit that CCP do not listen to you, so care to explain why they would have listened to them ?

And do not twist my words to have a basis for rethorical manoeuvers, people know how to identify them nowadays, you will only make yourself and your position look fishy at best, untrustworthy and dishonest at worst.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#350 - 2014-01-12 02:31:28 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

I really do not see what forcing casual players to quit can achieve.

Because NPC corps don't exist, right?

I like my NPC school, have no intention of leaving it.

As for PvP in EVE its rather limited. If I feel like PvP I fire up a combat flight sim, don my head trackers and grab the hotas pedals and joystick and start throwing an early war bf109 around. I f Valkyrie ever becomes a reality I may rethink that.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#351 - 2014-01-12 02:34:13 UTC
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Deunan Tenephais wrote:

They were moaning but it does not mean CCP listened to them, they more probably followed their own ideas about how to make more poeple stay in the game.
After all, you admit that CCP do not listen to you, so care to explain why they would have listened to them ?

Probably because I'm actually looking at the outcome. Time after time, highsec has been made safer and safer.

They asked for it, they got it. They keep on getting it.

It's as simple as that.
Quote:

And do not twist my words to have a basis for rethorical manoeuvers, people know how to identify them nowadays, you will only make yourself and your position look fishy at best, untrustworthy and dishonest at worst.

What? I did nothing of the sort, so I have no clue at all what you're talking about.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Deunan Tenephais
#352 - 2014-01-12 02:59:43 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Probably because I'm actually looking at the outcome. Time after time, highsec has been made safer and safer.

They asked for it, they got it. They keep on getting it.

It's as simple as that.

Deduction is not evidence, I find it much more believable that CCP wanted to securize highsec because it is newbieland and that give newcomers more time to learn how to more or less correctly play the basis of the game.
That moaning highsec simciters got their space secured too was only an easily predictable consequence, not a direct goal.

But there seems to indeed be a trend in what CCP has been doing during the past months/years: they are trying to better PvE content.
Why they are doing so, well I have my idea but I'm not sure, so I wouldn't sprout nonsense, there is already enough of that in all corners of these forums.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#353 - 2014-01-12 03:09:34 UTC
As far as I see, this entire discussion is irrelevant.

Those lobbying to nerf high sec to make null sec better will never see the game through the eyes of the people they despise and loathe.

Those lobbying to make high sec more safe and that are fearful of taking risk will never see the game through the eyes of the people they despise and loathe.

You can not convince those that can not be convinced.

This entire discussion can only continue and end in both sides flinging feces at each other all day, ad nauseum, until the thread dies.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#354 - 2014-01-12 04:20:36 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
As far as I see, this entire discussion is irrelevant.

Those lobbying to nerf high sec to make null sec better will never see the game through the eyes of the people they despise and loathe.

Those lobbying to make high sec more safe and that are fearful of taking risk will never see the game through the eyes of the people they despise and loathe.

You can not convince those that can not be convinced.

This entire discussion can only continue and end in both sides flinging ***** at each other all day, ad nauseum, until the thread dies.

This is part of what I've been saying.

It's a zero sum game. Neither side will give ground.

But one side (the carebear side) has been getting what they want, over and over again for a while now. It's time they started taking a hit themselves.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#355 - 2014-01-12 04:43:56 UTC
Answer.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Because everyone will be playing Star Citizen.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#356 - 2014-01-12 06:30:47 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

This is part of what I've been saying.

It's a zero sum game. Neither side will give ground.

But one side (the carebear side) has been getting what they want, over and over again for a while now. It's time they started taking a hit themselves.

Other than the bit where you are wrong. Because there aren't 2 sides. There is a continuum. You exist at the very far end where everyone is your rightful prey and anything that exists to stop that is unfair. You talk about 'carebear' tears. I've seen plenty of ganker tears myself when their gank failed for some reason. "Why did you warp off" "How did you warp that fast, Hacks, I'm reporting you" "I had enough DPS to kill you, how did you cheat your EHP". All of these I've seen coming from gankers. Tears are not exclusive to any group in EVE. And most people fall somewhere between the two extremes. Sure, you have the pure carebears, who want freighters to be untouchable. But then you have a lot of people in the middle who people like you love to group with the pure carebears, who want the ability to fit their freighters and to be able to make meaningful choices. Those people are not crying carebears, they are sensible people who want options. And some will both use freighters and gank. People can mine in High Sec and play in low & null also. There is plenty of middle ground. You just love to polarise everything because it's what society does these days to win an argument 'You are either with us or against us, you can't be half & half'

I'm one of those half & half people myself. I do feel Null needs a few buffs, like at least 40% refineries on the Factory outposts, it's still not a casual 50% refinery for easy perfect refines. But assuming my maths is right, 40% gets you there if you have all V's in all the relevant skills. I'm not against removing slots of some kind from those super hub high sec systems which have a dozen great stations in them. And I'm all for ways to allow more people to make the same amount of isk at once in Null sec systems.

But I am against simply doubling individual pilots incomes in Null, because it's already good, it just has density issues. I am against removing lvl 4's from high sec, because High Sec needs to turn a decent profit as a legit region in it's own right. I am against things that make Null/WH the king of all of EVE. Because they shouldn't be. Effort should be rewarded sure. But it shouldn't automatically dominate everything.
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#357 - 2014-01-12 06:45:05 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
You just love to polarise everything because it's what society does these days to win an argument 'You are either with us or against us, you can't be half & half'

Not empty quoting.

Katrina Oniseki

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#358 - 2014-01-12 07:06:36 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Answer.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Because everyone will be playing Star Citizen.

Not as long as people who dislike "stale" EVE (and who totally HATE EVE's community) keep paying for it just to post crap on a forum lol.

Thank you for your subscription fee/plex btw.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#359 - 2014-01-12 07:15:00 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:

I really do not see what forcing casual players, especially the ones with real lives who are not glued to the keyboard every night while mummy brings them snacks and dinner, to just quit can achieve.

I am a casual player with a job and things to do around the house.

A good chunk of my corp have children to look after, jobs to go to etc. This argument is a myth and should never stop CCP from correctly balancing the game.
TharOkha
0asis Group
#360 - 2014-01-12 08:16:16 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:
TharOkha wrote:
Then ask yourself a question. Why did you joined nullsec aliance in the first place? To make industry somewhere in a remote star system far far away from well supplied trade hubs of New Eden and then btching in GD that it is inefficient?

Why would you build things locally when it takes far less effort, ISK, and hauling capacity to just import the finished goods?

EXACTLY. Nullsec industry WILL NEVER BE SO EASY AS IN HISEC as far as hisec will be main trade hub. You can buff nullsec and nerf hisec as much as you want. This will never change. Hisec is industrial superpower. Deal with it.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Or do you actually think I should let them ruin the way I play the game instead? Because, and no mistake, they're trying to. They've been trying to since before I even started playing.

Concord, crimewatch, insurance nerfs, nerf after nerf after nerf, and all to make the way I play the game harder and harder, tightening the noose without end.

Concord, crimewatch and insurance nerfs? So are you just another hisec l33t PvPer or real nullsec player? Those your named "nerfs" are not nerfs to nullsec at all. Because its silly if you are talking about "ruining the game you play" in one sentence and then in other sentence you are complaining about suicide gank changes (aka ruining the game of other player")......Well... You are pro Bear

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

The difference is, I'm the one playing the game correctly.

And here we go again. Big smile "Let me show you how to play correctly in this sandbox game"..

I'm just curious. What letters of the word SANDBOX you don't understand?

Quote:
Every nerf, every time, the real players adapt and find ways to play our game.

Well. you have obvious problem with adaptability. Blink