These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2781 - 2014-02-08 15:41:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Pinky Hops wrote:
There's no special distinction here.
…aside from individual income going to the individual to meet his individual needs, and corp/alliance income going to the corp/alliance to meet corp/alliance needs.

No to mention the distinction between industry and PvE.
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2782 - 2014-02-08 15:44:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Pinky Hops
Tippia wrote:
Pinky Hops wrote:
…aside from individual income going to the individual to meet his individual needs, and corp/alliance income going to the corp/alliance to meet corp/alliance needs.

I personally would never join a group where I don't get individually paid for my industrial work.

So I consider that to be a non-argument. If you join a group that says your labor is supposed to be free, well, that's your choice.

You could just as easily design a corp with a 100% tax, so that ratting is now "alliance level income." Roll I wonder how well that would go over?

You're basically making a strawman, ascribing a zero-value to a set of tasks within EVE which should have value.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2783 - 2014-02-08 15:47:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Pinky Hops wrote:
I personally would never join a group where I don't get individually paid for my industrial work.
Good for you. The distinction is still there and it's still industry and thus not relevant.

Quote:
You could just as easily design a corp with a 100% tax, so that ratting is now "alliance level income." Roll I wonder how well that would go over?
Fairly well, aside from the obvious ignorance of mechanics, as long as the stated goal is clear and generally accepted. It's not particularly rare either, but not really for the reason of generating income.
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2784 - 2014-02-08 15:49:11 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Pinky Hops wrote:
Good for you. The distinction is still there and it's still industry and thus not relevant.

The thread is about highsec vs nullsec.

You don't get to decide the exact context. Sorry.

It's far too complicated of a situation to just stupidly reduce it to missions and ratting.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#2785 - 2014-02-08 15:49:39 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Pinky Hops wrote:

So I consider that to be a non-argument. If you join a group that says your labor is supposed to be free, well, that's your choice.

Pinky, I respect your opinion and hope you continue to provide it to us. I don't agree with it but respect it nonetheless.

The general idea here is to support your opinion with data. This can be done in many ways. Some have provided DevBlogs. Others has compiled data though independent study. Tippia even blogged regarding her interpretation of data provided from CCP.

If you're goal is just to provide your opinion I think that's great. It enriches the community to hear differing viewpoints. However, if the goal is to sway people to agree with your opinion, you're going to want to get some data to support that opinion.

You can't drop a thesis on the table, without elaboration supported by data, and expect anyone to just agree with it.

"Grr Kimmi  Nerf Chans!" ~Jenn aSide

www.eve-radio.com  Join Eve Radio channel in game!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2786 - 2014-02-08 15:51:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Pinky Hops wrote:
The thread is about
…highsec, which spawned various related sub-discussions. The one we're having now is about individual PvE income.

Quote:
You don't get to decide the exact context.
Yes I do, and any time you edit and argument and go off on an pointless tangent, I get to point out that your reply is irrelevant to what we're discussing at the moment.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#2787 - 2014-02-08 15:54:18 UTC
Does anyone else find it really funny that Pinky says things like this:

Quote:

Immediately after saying things like this:

Quote:

So I consider that to be a non-argument.

Pinky, if you aren't trolling, your mental condition is now in question.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2788 - 2014-02-08 15:56:57 UTC
Kimmi Chan wrote:
Pinky, I respect your opinion and hope you continue to provide it to us. I don't agree with it but respect it nonetheless.

The general idea here is to support your opinion with data. This can be done in many ways. Some have provided DevBlogs. Others has compiled data though independent study. Tippia even blogged regarding her interpretation of data provided from CCP.

If you're goal is just to provide your opinion I think that's great. It enriches the community to hear differing viewpoints. However, if the goal is to sway people to agree with your opinion, you're going to want to get some data to support that opinion.

You can't drop a thesis on the table, without elaboration supported by data, and expect anyone to just agree with it.

You can't leave industry out of a discussion on highsec vs nullsec income.

Specifically:

Quote:
Most of the value of the game is in manufacturing. Dr. EyjoG is happy with this because
it means that value is mostly player-driven, even though some value is also being added
from NPC interactions and NPC trades.

Taken from http://cdn1.eveonline.com/community/csm/CSM8_August_Summit_Minutes.pdf

So yeah, "some" value comes ratting and missions, but the majority of it is players doing industry.
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2789 - 2014-02-08 15:59:43 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Does anyone else find it really funny that Pinky says things like this:

Quote:

Immediately after saying things like this:

Quote:

So I consider that to be a non-argument.

Pinky, if you aren't trolling, your mental condition is now in question.

Wow.

So you're the kind of person who joins a 100% tax corp and then loudly proclaims that ratting is "alliance level income?"

Tell me more.

{Insert vague insult directed at Kaarous}
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#2790 - 2014-02-08 16:01:45 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:
Kimmi Chan wrote:

Specifically:

Quote:
Most of the value of the game is in manufacturing. Dr. EyjoG is happy with this because
it means that value is mostly player-driven, even though some value is also being added
from NPC interactions and NPC trades.

Taken from http://cdn1.eveonline.com/community/csm/CSM8_August_Summit_Minutes.pdf

So yeah, "some" value comes ratting and missions, but the majority of it is players doing industry.

And the talk about industry occurred 100ish pages ago. Since then it had refocused on PVE ratting, plexes, and missions. Likely because that is what people wanted to talk about. Are we to understand then that the imbalance with PVE has been resolved or at least agreed upon and we are now moving on to industry which, if you read the posting 100ish pages ago, is still better in HighSec?

Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2791 - 2014-02-08 16:02:47 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:
It's far too complicated of a situation to just stupidly reduce it to missions and ratting.

actually other issues are so blatantly broken that the need for balancing is unchallenged and the need to nerf highsec is unanimously acknowledged which is why noone is discussing them anymore

anyone who contests this is, simply, ignorant

actually the 'best anoms' vs missions thing is also pretty much acknowledged and discussion is centred around what can be done about it
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2792 - 2014-02-08 16:03:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Pinky Hops wrote:
…but you can leave it out of a discussion of individual PvE income, which is what we're* discussing.

* “we” as in the rest of us. You are desperately trying to avoid the topic while also trying (and failing) to make it look like you have anything relevant or cogent to say.

By the way, learn to reference properly.

Quote:
So you're the kind of person who joins a 100% tax corp and then loudly proclaims that ratting is "alliance level income?"
You understand that this will depend on what the corp does with it, right?
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2793 - 2014-02-08 16:03:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Pinky Hops
Kimmi Chan wrote:
And the talk about industry occurred 100ish pages ago. Since then it had refocused on PVE ratting, plexes, and missions. Likely because that is what people wanted to talk about. Are we to understand then that the imbalance with PVE has been resolved or at least agreed upon and we are now moving on to industry which, if you read the posting 100ish pages ago, is still better in HighSec?

I'm saying that you can't compare things in a vacuum.

It's pointless to compare individual income streams like that because they represent such small pieces of the overall pie.

Comparing nullsec to highsec based on mission/ratting income is kind of like comparing two different jobs based on which one has a better vending machine in the lunch room.
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2794 - 2014-02-08 16:04:47 UTC
i mean mara and i are in complete agreement about what should be done about industry and we were only arguing about how best to go about it
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2795 - 2014-02-08 16:05:09 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:

It's pointless to compare individual income streams like that because they represent such small pieces of the overall pie.

Comparing nullsec to highsec based on mission/ratting income is kind of like comparing two different jobs based on which one has a better vending machine in the lunch room.

Name what null sov has in place of missions.
Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#2796 - 2014-02-08 16:06:21 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Pinky Hops wrote:

actually other issues are so blatantly broken that the need for balancing is unchallenged and the need to nerf highsec is unanimously acknowledged which is why noone is discussing them anymore

anyone who contests this is, simply, ignorant

I would not say they are ignorant, provided they can provide data to refute claims of said imbalance. I, however, have not seen such data.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2797 - 2014-02-08 16:06:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Pinky Hops wrote:
Luckily, no-one is.

Quote:
No it's not, because the overall pie is irrelevant to the individual and to the decisions he make as a result of that income. It's particularly relevant since you will find people who only really have access to (or any remote interest in) one of the streams, and none of the others.
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2798 - 2014-02-08 16:06:50 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Name what null sov has in place of missions.

oh! oh! i know this one, sir, pick me. pick me, sir! sir!
Sylveria Relden
#2799 - 2014-02-08 16:06:55 UTC
Posted this in the other "threadnaught" in F&I but wanted to repost here for posterity for those who would be interested:

I've thought of this question many, many, many times after reading the usual "nerf hisec" threads- and pondered it on occasion to try "play the tape all the way through" to get a visual on what it would look like.

Structure and order is usually set in place to keep "anarchy and chaos" from ruling everything. I personally do not have a preference either way (in traditional RPG sense, I'm one of those neutral sort of players who believes in balance in everything) but I can see why extremes on either side would cause problems. I do agree that neither complete chaos nor complete order have a place in the EVE Universe.

I don't know if his has been suggested as an alternative- but perhaps we could consider something to the effect of things like Gate Guns having "technical difficulties" randomly- defense systems going out at random points, etc. Not just in hisec- but everywhere.

That would make the game in general much more interesting. Can you imagine losing SOV randomly and having to field troops to defend? Or high traffic areas like Jita/Dixie/Hek and so forth randomly losing defensive power and pirates being able to attack without CONCORD assistance? It wouldn't be too hard to justify something like EMP interference from GRB's in order to facilitate it.

TL;DR If you didn't read the entire post perhaps you're probably ADHD. (seek help)

Kimmi Chan
Tastes Like Purple
#2800 - 2014-02-08 16:11:07 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:

Of course you can't. So you break off this piece and compare it in two areas (HS industry compared with NS industry).

Break off this piece (HS PI vs NS PI).

Break off this piece (HS PVE vs NS PVE).

Break off another (HS Alliance Level income vs. NS Alliance Level Income)

It's not an attempt to skew numbers in anyone's favor. It's an attempt to compare similar activities in differing regions of the Eve Universe.