These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2621 - 2014-02-07 13:25:20 UTC
embrel wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Null sec is more dangerous (that graph is proof that the oft repeated lie that null is safer is just that, a lie). We already knew that from the 2011 devblog that demonstrated how little pvp happened in high sec but of course the high sec status quo defense league dismmised that as old news.

The interpretation regarding how dangerous it is cannot be made based on ISK numbers. While I tend to agree that Null is not safer, the ISK value shows nothing.

e.g. how many FW-frigs and cruisers need to be killed in order to have the same value as 1 Titan?

it's not ISK-value but number of kills that defines how dangerous an area is.

This is exactly right, which is why I said that this was confirmed years ago and ignored by all of the high sec people claiming that high sec was 'safer' than null and that "plenty of pvp happens in high sec".

The truth is that despite having the 2nd lowest share of the game's character population (WHs are the lowest and more dangerous still, but only per capita) null sec has the highest share of destruction, as opposed to high sec (largest population, lowest share of the much needed economy driving destruction).

According to high sec people, playing the game in the one place where magical space police spawn to at least avenge you is somehow as dangerous as space that's only safe if another human being is next door to report into an intel channel.....
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#2622 - 2014-02-07 13:31:59 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
I don't think that the number of NPC lines should ever feel limited. There should always be another line somewhere available for a newbie to use.

This is where I disagree with you. I want NPC lines to be limited resources. An easy way to ensure that rookies can always finish the tutorial missions is to either spawn an assembly line in a mission space just for them, or issue them with a token which allows access to a specific NPC corporation's assembly lines. Since only rookies get these tokens (a currency item, similar to say dog tags), only rookies get to use those lines.

I want industry to be entirely player-driven, with the NPC facilities only to be used as a fallback for occasions when there are absolutely no player options available (e.g.: you're wardecced three ways to Sunday, and everybody hates you so everyone has blocked you from leasing their facilities).

Benny Ohu wrote:
I think that perfect refine shouldn't be available anywhere in EVE, but that outposts come closest to achieving it, and highsec NPC refine rates should be farthest. I really want to see reasons for players to erect and fight over star bases!

Yup, we agree on that.

Benny Ohu wrote:
When the big industry rebalance comes through, it must take into consideration starbases as conflict drivers and ensure that any production efficiency starbases provide makes up for the increased risk of being wardecced and having to defend the tower.

Well, that situation will sort itself out over time. The market will find a balance point where the prices for things compensate for the losses of the facilities required to make those things.

Benny Ohu wrote:
Also if industry were to move more towards starbases, the mission grind to placing a starbase needs to go. A person who wants to make cargo expanders shouldn't have to shoot red crosses for forever to put a tower up in highsec.

Nope, disagree with you there. The standings grind is an industry of its own. If you want the convenience of putting your tower up wherever you want it, go to lowsec, null sec or w-space. If you want your tower up in hi sec, there has to be a price to pay for that convenience. Currently, that price is being a servant to the empires.

We already have corporations whose entire business model is setting up new corporations with appropriate standings, anchoring your POS, then handing over CEO to your alt. There's no need to change that. You can pay someone else to do the standings grind for you through Imiarr Timshae's standings correction corp. You can join Estel Arador Corp Services to get access to jump clone facilities. The standings grind is an established part of the game, there's no reason to remove it. It's not getting in the way of industry as much as NPC facilities are, and it's an existing player-run portion of the game (sure, it's players interacting with NPCs on your behalf, but still, it's player driven industry).

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2623 - 2014-02-07 13:33:28 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Since destuction drives the EVE economy, null (and low and WH) residents are doing more than their fair share in keeping up the demand that drives the economy, while high sec (where the vast majority of EVE online characters reside) isn't coming any where near pulling it's own weight

Jenn, people aren't playing a game to do "their fair share" or "pull their own weight". This ISN'T a job! I don't play this game to work for anyone. I play this game to have fun. Stop accusing people of not pulling their weight as if this is some sort of task. Or rather, if you insist in thinking of them as free loaders or whatever, go right ahead. But realize it is no where to be found in the EULA that one must "pull their own weight" to play and this is something you've constructed on your own.

We've had this discussion before. If people rather build than destruct you are no one to tell them they're not pulling their weight or doing it wrong. So please stop this nonsense. THIS IS NOT A JOB!

This thing you have for hi sec and carebears, this disdain and feeling of superiority, is getting ridiculous.

Except her point is still right. High sec does not drive the economy because not enough stuff are lost there. Anytime lots of stuff are lost in high sec, it's because some idiot overloaded his freighter.

Only if you view "driving the economy" as destruction alone. But in fact, there are two sides driving the economy; destruction and production.

By the way, you can call losses in hi sec idiotic if that makes you feel any better. The fact is there is plenty of LOSS in hi sec. If you want to discard these losses on the basis that "those don't count because they're idiots" that's fine by me. But the FACT still STANDS.

Or let's look at this with your own goggles. You know what I consider idiotic? Jumping into a system with 10% TiDi knowing full well I'll be losing my capital. Should I discard those losses on the basis that it's an idiotic loss? Roll. You people will find any excuse to distort data, and I mean ANY excuse.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2624 - 2014-02-07 13:45:37 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Since destuction drives the EVE economy, null (and low and WH) residents are doing more than their fair share in keeping up the demand that drives the economy, while high sec (where the vast majority of EVE online characters reside) isn't coming any where near pulling it's own weight

Jenn, people aren't playing a game to do "their fair share" or "pull their own weight". This ISN'T a job! I don't play this game to work for anyone. I play this game to have fun. Stop accusing people of not pulling their weight as if this is some sort of task. Or rather, if you insist in thinking of them as free loaders or whatever, go right ahead. But realize it is no where to be found in the EULA that one must "pull their own weight" to play and this is something you've constructed on your own.

We've had this discussion before. If people rather build than destruct you are no one to tell them they're not pulling their weight or doing it wrong. So please stop this nonsense. THIS IS NOT A JOB!

This thing you have for hi sec and carebears, this disdain and feeling of superiority, is getting ridiculous.

Except her point is still right. High sec does not drive the economy because not enough stuff are lost there. Anytime lots of stuff are lost in high sec, it's because some idiot overloaded his freighter.

Or put too much bling on their mission/incursion ship.

There is pvp in high sec thanks to groups like RvB, but if it weren't for them the stats would be even worse.

This is part of the reason I say some high sec posters are (painfully and fatally) short sighted. The imbalances we describe in this thread (in combat pve and in industry for example) help create a situation where there are only 40-50k characters in null sec despite the fact that Sov holding alliances have something of the order of 90k characters.

Sure, some of those characters are things like cyno alts and high sec haulers, and some are in wormholes and low sec. But a lot of them are high sec isk making alts mainly because null sec is mostly a desert worthy only of being there for 'gudfights' or rented out to groups too young/small to take SOV for themselves.

Those isk making alts are making the wait to get into an incursion fleet longer than it should be. They are running missions or mining and thus lowering the value of the LP and minerals real high sec pilots are getting. And those high sec isk making alts are flying ships fit properly and thus not worth ganking in high sec rather than PVEing in null and put them themselves at risk of being destroyed (and destruction is good for high sec residents because null pilots are THE major market for the things high sec buys with LP and produced with mined minerals).

But by supporting the un-balanced status quo, high sec people are screwing themselves over (ie screwing themselves out of an even better market to sell to) every bit as much as it screws over players who would actually be living in their own null space (if not for the imbalance).

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2625 - 2014-02-07 13:55:34 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

Jenn, people aren't playing a game to do "their fair share" or "pull their own weight". This ISN'T a job! I don't play this game to work for anyone. I play this game to have fun.

Ah, the standard "it's all about me" high sec selfishness. Funny thing is, this sentiment is also why high sec can't seem to elect people to the CSM.

Quote:

Stop accusing people of not pulling their weight as if this is some sort of task. Or rather, if you insist in thinking of them as free loaders or whatever, go right ahead. But realize it is no where to be found in the EULA that one must "pull their own weight" to play and this is something you've constructed on your own.

There is no law in real life that says people must pull their own weight. That fact doesn't stop people who are actually valuable to a community (workers) from being right about the uselessness of people who choose to leech off others (the welfare queens) for their own well being (and in this case, entertainment).

Quote:

No, it's a communal entertainment activity where "the people who would rather build" choose to think of the people GIVING them a reason to build (pvpr's, null sec alliance members, gankers, pirates) as "psychopaths".

Quote:

Where I'm from we call them like we see them. my disdain is not for hi sec (how does one disdain a series of imaginary soloar systems?) or even "carebears" (at this moment I am shooting Shadow so I can loot those damn reports for the 9 millionth time).

My disdain is for short sighted people who'd rather lie about whether or not a video game has an imbalance that creates poorer than acceptable outcomes (like high sec isk making alts) just because they are afraid (unjusti of making less imaginary space money from saving some hapless Damsel lol.
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#2626 - 2014-02-07 14:00:52 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:

I didn't follow the numbers closely enough, but could imagine that not destruction is the primary driver of the economy, but the human tendency to hoard.

you not only buy when you lost something but to have it.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2627 - 2014-02-07 14:06:08 UTC
embrel wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:

I didn't follow the numbers closely enough, but could imagine that not destruction is the primary driver of the economy, but the human tendency to hoard.

CCP and there economist a'ways say consumption is the engine that drives the EVE virtual economy.
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2628 - 2014-02-07 14:10:21 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
embrel wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:

CCP and there economist a'ways say consumption is the engine that drives the EVE virtual economy.

And cheap prices drive consumption.

It's almost like it's a symbiotic relationship.

Roll
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2629 - 2014-02-07 14:14:02 UTC
Pinky Hops wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
embrel wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:

Roll

1 sided wage slavery is never "symbioitic".
Dreadchain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2630 - 2014-02-07 14:15:41 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
embrel wrote:

Roll

And isk-faucets drive higher prices.

www.minerbumping.com

Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2631 - 2014-02-07 14:20:16 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
1 sided wage slavery is never "symbioitic".

...what?
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#2632 - 2014-02-07 14:25:58 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

they're the ones with the numbers, so they should know. However, in this case, what precisely is consumption?

How many Titans have been built & destroyed? (I've no clue, I'm purely speculating)

Is the rate these are built really correlated to the rate they get destroyed?

Currently maybe. In general, I doubt it.

To hoard can be consumption too. It's basically irrelevant whether something is destroyed or staying in a hangar for eternity.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#2633 - 2014-02-07 14:30:26 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
I don't think that the number of NPC lines should ever feel limited. There should always be another line somewhere available for a newbie to use.

This is where I disagree with you. I want NPC lines to be limited resources. An easy way to ensure that rookies can always finish the tutorial missions is to either spawn an assembly line in a mission space just for them, or issue them with a token which allows access to a specific NPC corporation's assembly lines. Since only rookies get these tokens (a currency item, similar to say dog tags), only rookies get to use those lines.

I don't care about tutorial missions, I care about the newbie or casual who wants to produce in EVE Online. Telling someone who wants to manufacture 'sorry a bunch of nerds who get up at 2am to reserve limited lines is preventing you from doing what you want to do' makes a pretty terrible game. NPC lines need to be the worst option in terms of profitability but they need to always be accessible. Accessibility is most important for gaining and retaining players. If there's someone out there with ten kids or something who just wants to log on a couple of hours a week, make a cruiser and generally bum around I don't want them prevented from doing so by hard limitations of 'NO SLOTS OPEN YOU MUST RENT OFF A PLAYER'

It won't matter that there are a lot of highsec NPC lines provided a greater degree of success can be gained using lowsec, NPC nullsec or player-owned lines. The guys who want to chill out and build things can do that without stress. The players who want to challenge themselves and succeed to a greater degree can do their thing, too.

Mara Rinn wrote:
Nope, disagree with you there. The standings grind is an industry of its own. If you want the convenience of putting your tower up wherever you want it, go to lowsec, null sec or w-space. If you want your tower up in hi sec, there has to be a price to pay for that convenience. Currently, that price is being a servant to the empires.

We already have corporations whose entire business model is setting up new corporations with appropriate standings, anchoring your POS, then handing over CEO to your alt. There's no need to change that. You can pay someone else to do the standings grind for you through Imiarr Timshae's standings correction corp. You can join Estel Arador Corp Services to get access to jump clone facilities. The standings grind is an established part of the game, there's no reason to remove it. It's not getting in the way of industry as much as NPC facilities are, and it's an existing player-run portion of the game (sure, it's players interacting with NPCs on your behalf, but still, it's player driven industry).

Hell, no. I've already placed what towers I've owned in lowsec for operating cost and convenience despite having the standings to place them where I want in highsec. I don't care if it's established, telling someone 'if you want to do this thing you want to do, you need to do this completely unrelated thing for hours on end for no reason other than as a time sink / lore reasons' is bad design.

Same with jump clones. The whole mess is a barrier to fun. It's lovely that some players have setup some corps. But this tiny piece of emergent gameplay doesn't make up for the fact that grinding standings is a horrible stupid thing EVE demands players do for no real reason. The entire reason players are so eager to avoid the standings grind is because it's awful. If players will hate doing it, don't force it upon them, or you get unhappy players.

The LP-store permit thingies that highsec starbases need for fuel are absolutely fine, though. Keep them as a way to ensure highsec starbases are more expensive to operate than lowsec.
E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#2634 - 2014-02-07 14:33:30 UTC
To answer the question of the OP...what would happen if CCP nerfed hi-sec. Goonies would get precisely what they are campaining for. Tell me how they can sit here and from one side of their mouth say yea pay me billions to come rent null-sec from me and all the while be trying to convience the comunity and CCP that hi-sec makes to much isk? They need hi-sec nerfed to hell to solidify their grasp not just over null-sec but the rest of the game.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#2635 - 2014-02-07 14:37:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Benny Ohu
Mara Rinn wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
When the big industry rebalance comes through, it must take into consideration starbases as conflict drivers and ensure that any production efficiency starbases provide makes up for the increased risk of being wardecced and having to defend the tower.

Well, that situation will sort itself out over time. The market will find a balance point where the prices for things compensate for the losses of the facilities required to make those things.

I think it a greater problem than that. If starbases are to be a conflict driver, it's neccessary that it's not best to simply pull them down, remake corp and slap them back up again during a war's 24-hour wait. I feel there's a point where no matter the sale price of the product, the ongoing cost and risk of assets might simply make the starbase non-viable.

This is tied to my belief that NPC lines shouldn't be drastically limited, mind. If NPC lines were too few, the starbase'd probably be the only option for many. But I've posted my thoughts on that already vOv

e: quotes
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2636 - 2014-02-07 14:46:18 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
To answer the question of the OP...what would happen if CCP nerfed hi-sec. Goonies would get precisely what they are campaining for. Tell me how they can sit here and from one side of their mouth say yea pay me billions to come rent null-sec from me and all the while be trying to convience the comunity and CCP that hi-sec makes to much isk? They need hi-sec nerfed to hell to solidify their grasp not just over null-sec but the rest of the game.

Does it not occur to you that the fact that so much of null is good for nothing more than renting to some small or young group of pilots not make you understand the imbalance we've shown to you.

Do you not understand that if null was worth it null members would be LIVING there rather than allowing their alliances to rent to place out?

And who said "high sec" makes too much isk? We have continually said that the imbalance is that high sec isk making capabilites are so strong (and safe) that pragmatic gameplay virtually demands we make isk there and buy stuff there (while renting "our" space to fund alliance level activity) rather than truly "live" in our own space.

The scrub high sec guy running lvl 4s in a t1 raven isn't making too much isk. ME running lvl 4 sisters/thukker/republic fleet/ impetus etc missions in a machariel when that mach should only be able to make that kind of high end isk in null sec is the problem.

It's a problem that's bad for the game, and it is simply a selfish reaction from fearful high sec residents that keeps them from seeing how they too get screwed. A well balanced game benefits all it's players.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#2637 - 2014-02-07 14:51:59 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Tell me how they can sit here and from one side of their mouth say yea pay me billions to come rent null-sec from me and all the while be trying to convience the comunity and CCP that hi-sec makes to much isk?

You're comparing rent payments, which are a transfer of existing isk from one party to another, with isk faucets, which are fresh isk being injected into the game. That's like comparing volts to bananas.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2638 - 2014-02-07 14:56:23 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

No one is saying it should be a job, we're saying that since we have data showing that highsec is making more than nullsec in mid-range combat PVE it needs to be nerfed.

Why don't you give us solutions to this problem. So far we have:

-Shifting reward from L4 and L3 to L5, L2 and L1.

-Adding player made LP items that can only be done outside of highsec.

The first one decreases the reward and shifts it so it benefits new players and the second one would decrease the value of highsec mission running by increasing the supply of LP items.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#2639 - 2014-02-07 14:59:23 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Do you not understand that if null was worth it null members would be LIVING there rather than allowing their alliances to rent to place out?

then why are some ready to pay rent for that space?

is it basically the case that sov-0 is only profitable if you're botting?

Otherwise this seems to be a bit of a paradox?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2640 - 2014-02-07 15:11:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
embrel wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

then why are some ready to pay rent for that space?

Because they are to young, to small (or insufficiently diplomatic), or too militarily weak to take it for themselves. Null is a great deal for a small young corp relative to high or low sec.

The imbalance (in combat pve in my case) that we reveal expresses it self on the higher end, not the lower end. Renting crap null sec system is a good option until you get to the point where you really know how to make isk in empire.

the imbalance comes from a combination of several design choices CCP has made over the last 5 or so years.

Like introducing high sec incursions with insufficient risk such as no npc gate camps (null and low incursons feature such camps. Like introducing wormholes and making exploration easier (thus upping the demand for scanning gear and implants) while letting the Sisters of EVE LP store keep the same low cost values.

Or buffing exhumers without upping the costs of industrial implants miners could now use instead of the tanking hardwarings some of them were using before hand to give themselves 'surprise EHP' against gankers etc etc etc. Now mission running for a corp that has industrial implants is very lucrative.

Meanwhile CCP has nerfed the military systems upgrade scheme, nerfed the most commonly available anom (forsaken hubs), nerfed the amount of OPEs a DED plex will give, made scanning easier upping the amount of competition for good sites in populated regions close to empire etc etc.

Quote:

is it basically the case that sov-0 is only profitable if you're botting?

No, SOV null is profitiable enough. The PROBLEM is that (in the case of combat pve) high sec has grown too profitable for people like me. Thus you have null people making isk in the safety of high sec incursions and missions while their alliances rent out space

Quote:

Otherwise this seems to be a bit of a paradox?

No, i think you thinking is too black and white in this instance. Everything is not equal/