These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What would happen if CCP finally nerfed hisec?

First post First post
Author
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2581 - 2014-02-06 13:37:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Benny Ohu
I don't see much wrong with blitzing by itself. It's a different, and for some people, entertaining way to run missions. Can the problem be solved by changing the value of LP? Could this be controlled by adding other sources for faction probes and nomad implants? (what else do thukker sell, shields, PDS?)

fw mission blitzing needs nerfing though

e: hell, why not make T2 probes worth using?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#2582 - 2014-02-06 13:57:58 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
I don't see much wrong with blitzing by itself. It's a different, and for some people, entertaining way to run missions. Can the problem be solved by changing the value of LP? Could this be controlled by adding other sources for faction probes and nomad implants? (what else do thukker sell, shields, PDS?)

fw mission blitzing needs nerfing though

e: hell, why not make T2 probes worth using?

Thukker and SOE Lp aren't the only problem. Regular corp lvl4s in a T1 BS can net you about as much isk per hour by blitzing as you'd make clearing Sanctums (minus the potential faction spawn or escalation) with the exact same T1 BS (I use MJD Domi, and MJD Ravens and Typhoons, when I'm feeling really lazy and I'm using a missile ship I'll use FoFs but that's less isk/hr lol).

CCP shold fix mission blitzing in the same way they fixed it in Incursions. In the beginning of incursions, sites were very easy to game and VGs in particular were POURING isk into wallets lol. Now you pretty much have to clear except in some sites (especialyl HQs) you can just kill enough that your logi can tank the rest while you shoot a structure. It was insane before the Incursion nerf. Insane like FW farming is now.

But yea, the stuff in the Thukker and SOE LP stores do need to be bumped up in cost just like the SOE ships are more expensive in empire. 10 Sisters core probes for example cost 1800 LP and 1.2 mil isk, that should be something like 2160 LP and 1.44 mil in Osmon, Apanake and Lanngisi. There simply should be an increased cost for (borrowing a word from other MMOs) "harvesting in relative safety".

If CCP were to do that (make 'pirate level equipment like sisters probes and probe launchers cost what they should), I would not then be opposed to them adding "shell corps" for the real pirate factions in high and low sec (like i dunno a corp called "Angelic Acquisitions" that was a front for the angel cartel and let people get mach bpc in empire for the same kind of increase cost you can get a Nestor). What we talking about here is balance, not hurting high sec people for no reason like they seem to think.
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2583 - 2014-02-06 18:58:43 UTC
oh hay mara rinn and la nariz had already said 'another source for lp store items' two pages ago

that's what i get for skimming instead of reading properly
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2584 - 2014-02-06 21:38:39 UTC
Would making all the null system the same good true sec level help with the limitation of how many anoms are available? You would still have the higher risk factor but would that be enough to "feed" all players in null insetad of having to wait in line before you can ake ISK?
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#2585 - 2014-02-06 23:52:41 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
But yea, the stuff in the Thukker and SOE LP stores do need to be bumped up in cost just like the SOE ships are more expensive in empire. 10 Sisters core probes for example cost 1800 LP and 1.2 mil isk, that should be something like 2160 LP and 1.44 mil in Osmon, Apanake and Lanngisi. There simply should be an increased cost for (borrowing a word from other MMOs) "harvesting in relative safety".

Tweaking the numbers in the LP store will only result in something else popping up in price elsewhere.

We need a move to player-owned industry. There have been other threads about this, but the general ideas are:

• Reduce the number of NPC activity lines (activity lines are ME/PE labs, copy slots, invention labs, assembly lines, etc)
  • Increase the cost of NPC activity lines
  • Increase the utility of POS assembly lines
  • Fix POS roles so I can rent lines out to anyone in my alliance
  • Ideally fix POS roles so I can rent lines out to anyone with ISK to rent them
  • Convert refineries and reprocessing plants into activity lines (IMHO it should take about ⅓ as long to reprocess an item as it took to build it)

This "levels the playing field" between all regions of space so that a high station density in NPC space doesn't make that space more attractive for industrial use than space missing NPC facilities.

In addition, I would like to see mineral compression removed, or at least heavily nerfed.

Smart players will still be able to arrange their alliances logistics chains to do low-value assembly in hi sec (or simply contract it out to hi sec industrial corps, or play the market), putting the high-risk assembly deep in sovereign space. Y'know like they do now with CSAAs. Removing mineral compression will enhance local industry.

My naive theory being that when there's more pain hauling stuff from Jita than two systems over in null, more minerals will be sourced in null, and there will be more caravans of goods hauled from Jita, meaning more potential to disrupt operations. At present you can't interrupt null industry by interdicting a mining belt because they just haul stuff from Jita.

A further boost to player-driven industry would be:

• Remove NPC module drops entirely
  • Add NPC "data fragment" or "equipment fragment" drops
  • Replace data cores in exploration sites with data fragments
  • Allow data fragments to be combined into data cores through research projects run through R&D agents
  • Allow equipment fragments to be used in "invention" or "reverse engineering" style operations to produce high-meta T1 items
  • Replace many of the "scrap metal" drops from NPCs with various equipment and data fragments as required

Thus no longer would you loot "Chemal's Modified Frobnozzle". You would loot a pile of "Chemal's frobnozzle fragments". You might combine these into a "Chemal's Frobnozzle Modification Specification", which you can then bake with a "Frobnozzle I" to produce "Chemal's Modified Frobnozzle."

At a lower level, no longer would Gist Warlords drop Experimental 100MN Afterburner, they'd drop Angel Cartel Afterburner Fragments. The entrepreneurial capsuleer would obtain these fragments to combine into an Angel Cartel Afterburner Specification, which could then be baked into a 100MN Afterburner I to produce the Experimental 100MN Afterburner. The same would apply for faction navy technology: production of Federation Navy Stasis Webifiers could be supported by people performing missions for the Caldari where they blow up Fed Navy ships and collect "Federation Propulsion Jamming Fragments".

The downside would be that your null sec ratter no longer get a 6B ISK jackpot every other month. The upside would be that people who are able to keep their manufactory safe for a month can produce a 6B ISK item. Invaders could also have the same privilege: steal the fragments from NPCs, or POSes or whatever, do the same production back in your own "safe" space.

The value of these items from LP stores will provide the initial drive to establish this industry, and this industry will then provide downward pressure on LP store value.

In my opinion, CCP shouldn't be required to "nerf" hi sec. The value of hi sec (which is currently an NPC-driven economy) should drop as a function of player activity. Industry should be player-driven, with NPC "safety nets".
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#2586 - 2014-02-06 23:57:02 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Would making all the null system the same good true sec level help with the limitation of how many anoms are available? You would still have the higher risk factor but would that be enough to "feed" all players in null insetad of having to wait in line before you can ake ISK?

Being able to add more upgrades than the existing single IHUB would help. Players could then upgrade their space to premium ratting systems by dumping lots of ISK & LP into anomaly-attractors or ore-site-attractors or whatever. Then invaders would have many smaller targets to attack rather than one large target requiring a huge capital fleet.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#2587 - 2014-02-07 00:21:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Basil Pupkin
So, from the latest dev blog we learn the stunning truth:

At least 3 popular ganking systems on the Jita route (Uedama, Madirmili, Niarja) had more "peeveepee" in them than tear-stained HED-GP.

And the popular mission hubs like Osmon beat them all.

Can you nerf hisec any further? I think no - it is a lot less safe than null as it is, and doing activities goons cry about is about 20% more dangerous than strolling around in HED-GP in NPC corp account.

Source: http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/65749/1/destruction2013.png

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2588 - 2014-02-07 00:27:37 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:

At least 3 popular ganking systems on the Jita route (Uedama, Madirmili, Niarja) had more "peeveepee" in them than tear-stained HED-GP.

no today we learned that idiots still fly autopilot freighters full of crap and don't watch dscan flying officer-gun mission ships
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2589 - 2014-02-07 00:28:39 UTC
hahaha of course i'm just kidding,

we learned all that a long time ago
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#2590 - 2014-02-07 00:32:49 UTC
According to WiS proponent logic, obviously CCP should nerf hisec because this thread is now 141 pages.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#2591 - 2014-02-07 00:38:22 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

no today we learned that idiots still fly autopilot freighters full of crap and don't watch dscan flying officer-gun mission ships

I don't like repeating myself on obvious things, but:

a) Autopilot or not does not matter for freighters: they get bumped off trying to warp away from the gate, which is the same for both autopiloted and manual piloted freighters. Because gankers, unless they're as bright as you are, assume the best haul won't be autopiloted.

b) The main goal of gankers were not freighters, but T1 industrials - they can be ganked solo and pay 50:1 to 100:1 rates on gank gain-loss ratio. Freighters, even hauling 10b worth of stuff, are about 10:1 to the cost and require effort to bring down, not to mention risk, which is something a ganker would never take, being the most risk-averse player of eve.

c) Mission hub ganking also happen mostly when target is bumped from station upon undocking. Last time I checked, dscan doesn't help much against that. The other form of the gank were a loophole with drone aggro and tractor units, in which case dscan weren't much help either.

Try again.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Your Dad Naked
Doomheim
#2592 - 2014-02-07 00:38:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Your Dad Naked
Varius Xeral wrote:
According to WiS proponent logic, obviously CCP should nerf hisec because this thread is now 141 pages.

Not the same.

Every single person I have spoken to in-game wants WiS. The only people I have seen thus far who don't want it are regulars on this forum. My sample size is not particularly large, however it is between various personalities and player types.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2593 - 2014-02-07 00:44:47 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:

b) The main goal of gankers were not freighters, but T1 industrials - they can be ganked solo and pay 50:1 to 100:1 rates on gank gain-loss ratio.

Is there a pamphlet or brochure somewhere on this? I feel like it would be negligent not to pursue solo 100:1 payouts.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2594 - 2014-02-07 00:45:28 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:

a) Autopilot or not does not matter for freighters: they get bumped off trying to warp away from the gate, which is the same for both autopiloted and manual piloted freighters. Because gankers, unless they're as bright as you are, assume the best haul won't be autopiloted.

b) The main goal of gankers were not freighters, but T1 industrials - they can be ganked solo and pay 50:1 to 100:1 rates on gank gain-loss ratio. Freighters, even hauling 10b worth of stuff, are about 10:1 to the cost and require effort to bring down, not to mention risk, which is something a ganker would never take, being the most risk-averse player of eve.

c) Mission hub ganking also happen mostly when target is bumped from station upon undocking. Last time I checked, dscan doesn't help much against that. The other form of the gank were a loophole with drone aggro and tractor units, in which case dscan weren't much help either.

So what you're saying that it's even worse than what Benny is suggesting? After all, the deaths you describe are even easier to avoid than what he's suggesting, and yet (apparently) people are dying in droves from them…

So yeah. The “idiots” part still stands and is hardly a new revelation, nor is it a revelation that popular ganking systems generate more kills over a year than a single fight. I suppose it's a revelation to some that their nonsense about null being safer than highsec is soundly disproven by the statistics, though.
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2595 - 2014-02-07 00:49:18 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
We need a move to player-owned industry. There have been other threads about this, but the general ideas are:

• Reduce the number of NPC activity lines (activity lines are ME/PE labs, copy slots, invention labs, assembly lines, etc)
  • Increase the cost of NPC activity lines
  • Increase the utility of POS assembly lines
  • Fix POS roles so I can rent lines out to anyone in my alliance
  • Ideally fix POS roles so I can rent lines out to anyone with ISK to rent them
  • Convert refineries and reprocessing plants into activity lines (IMHO it should take about ⅓ as long to reprocess an item as it took to build it)

This is what I care most about, that industry is in such a rotten position, and I agree that NPC services need to take a hit

I don't think that the number of NPC lines should ever feel limited. There should always be another line somewhere available for a newbie to use. The cost must increase, but should it be an ISK cost or some kind of mineral tax? How do we ensure that NPC lines will remain a viable option for the casual player or the newbie? (I'm looking at the production efficiency skill here. Right now, noone'll produce without it at five. I don't want NPC lines ever to be unprofitable to produce in.)

I think that perfect refine shouldn't be available anywhere in EVE, but that outposts come closest to achieving it, and highsec NPC refine rates should be farthest. I really want to see reasons for players to erect and fight over starbases! When the big industry rebalance comes through, it must take into consideration starbases as conflict drivers and ensure that any production efficiency starbases provide makes up for the increased risk of being wardecced and having to defend the tower.

Also if industry were to move more towards starbases, the mission grind to placing a starbase needs to go. A person who wants to make cargo expanders shouldn't have to shoot red crosses for forever to put a tower up in highsec.
Benny Ohu
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2596 - 2014-02-07 00:56:43 UTC
Tippia wrote:
So yeah. The “idiots” part still stands and is hardly a new revelation, nor is it a revelation that popular ganking systems generate more kills over a year than a single fight. I suppose it's a revelation to some that their nonsense about null being safer than highsec is soundly disproven by the statistics, though.

the chart is measured in isk!

Quote:
Try again.

try what? you're the one equating isk value lost to level of risk
Your Dad Naked
Doomheim
#2597 - 2014-02-07 00:58:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Your Dad Naked
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Try again.

Letters are yours.

a) First things first, you can web-warp your freighter. Hyena/Rapier can web-warp a freighter instantly; it is physically impossible for the bumper to get to your freighter in time as long as you do not screw up, and it's very hard to screw up. They can't even scan you in time, so they aren't even sure if you have anything valuable. Freighters in hi-sec are borderline ungankable if you know what you're doing, especially if you use a well-tanked Rapier that cannot be blapped off grid by a gank Tornado.
Beyond that, it's all about weighing the costs of what it takes to kill your freighter. 25 Catalysts can safely guarantee a gank if T2 fitted. Assume it costs 250mil ISK minimum, therefore. With 50% drops, the minimum freighter value to draw even over time is 500mil ISK. Assuming those Catalysts are just 2 multiboxing pilots, they will be looking at a minimum of 100mil ISK profit for the time and risk of ganking the freighter. Thus you will rarely see a freighter with less than 700mil ISK cargo ganked. In the past 4 months, I have not seen it happen (via killboards) on my 12-jump Jita trade route. This is also assuming Catalysts. Most freighter ganks are done by Talos and Brutix. If we do the math again, we'll find the minimum cargo for that is nearly 2bil ISK.

b) I can fit my Nereus to tank 48,000 omni EHP. Even with EM damage, it would take four Vexors to gank me. Assuming T1 fit this time (as it's more common), that's 80mil ISK in hull losses. 160mil ISK to draw even. Thus ~250mil ISK cargo value to be worth the time. Moving to a blockade runner, they now need 6 Vexors. Thus ~350mil ISK cargo value to be worth the time. On top of all that, they can only gank you if they have the 4-6 Vexors ready to go. Nearly all industrial gankers do not. Check the killboards, you will find nearly every indy gank is done by solo or duo pilots.
It gets better though: Orca. You can fit it for EHP, topping it out at 286,000 EHP. If we break down the math again, we'll find the minimum cargo value is close to 1bil ISK to be worth ganking by Catalysts. Talos/Brutix ganking an Orca need a minimum cargo value of nearly 3bil ISK to be worth the time.
Lastly, all haulers (including the Orca!) can do the cloak/MWD with the right setup. For the Orca, it has to be perfect. While I'm sure cloak/MWDers haulers have been caught before, it is extremely hard to do so and very risky (ISK) as you likely will not know what is in their cargo.

c) The MTU ganking is quite cheap and needs to be fixed. Mission hub bumping? If at undock, dock up again. If at redock, create a docking bookmark so you're in range every time. Flying T2 you don't have to do this as no one will gank you really... flying deadspace/officer, it's always best to be super safe.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2598 - 2014-02-07 01:00:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Benny Ohu wrote:
the chart is measured in isk!
Poteito potahto.
It a not really a revelation that popular ganking systems generate more lost ISK over a year than a single fight. However, if you want to measure risk in ISK, I suppose it's a revelation to some that their nonsense about null being safer than highsec is soundly disproven by the statistics.

Better? P
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#2599 - 2014-02-07 01:01:10 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

So what you're saying that it's even worse than what Benny is suggesting? After all, the deaths you describe are even easier to avoid than what he's suggesting, and yet (apparently) people are dying in droves from them…

Facepalm. Typical Tippia nonsense.
Those deaths are NOT easy to avoid. Avoiding those deaths require actual survival tactics, while all you need to do in null is yell "neutral on local, dock up" to dock all your bots for instant safety.
This discussion got even more stupid now, so I perhaps should repeat the double obvious things, especially since it's Tippia's nonsense I have to break again: People die not because they trip and break their neck, but because they're being genocided by an ever-growing force of no-risk pussies calling themselves pvpers, which are non-existent in low and null, where people are allowed to preemptively remove them from grid for good.
This is why it is obvious and now statistically proven that:
a) While considerable part of hisec is safe, so is considerable part of nullsec.
b) Money-making in nullsec is safe. Money-making in hisec is 20% less safe than a warzone in nullsec.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2600 - 2014-02-07 01:05:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Those deaths are NOT easy to avoid.
Yes they are.

Don't fill up your freighter with valuables, use web-slinging.
Don't use T1 industrials for anything with a high value density.
If they're waiting for you on the undock, dock back up.

Quote:
People die not because they trip and break their neck
True enough. That would suggest mere accident or clumsiness. What you're suggesting is that they died of pure idiocy, which is actually much worse than the mere laziness that Benny was suggesting.

Quote:
This is why it is obvious and now statistically proven that:
a) While considerable part of hisec is safe, so is considerable part of nullsec.
b) Money-making in nullsec is safe. Money-making in hisec is 20% less safe than a warzone in nullsec.
How is this in any way statistically proven?

Sister Night wrote:
just me or did 2 pages of this just disappear while i was reading it?

More. I think the mods are taking out the big scissors for this one. I'm counting at least 6 8 pages(!) lost so far.