These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Collision Damage

Author
Pipa Porto
#101 - 2013-12-20 03:19:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Andy Landen wrote:
3) It's more than goofy, it is absurd. People laugh when they see it because in their minds that know that that frigate really should splat on the Titan's windshield. I say, give them what they want to see and let the frigate splat. That would likely be even more hilarious. Also, if decloaking did splat the interceptor, imagine what it does to the ship being decloaked? I'd wager that the interceptor was going a LOT faster and therefore has a whole lot more kinetic energy. That too would probably be hilarious to see as well.

You're concerned with the real life laws of Physics in a game where spaceships have maximum velocities and experience drag?

Anyway, even without the mass increase of the MWD, an unplated bump SFI has a momentum of up to 144 billion kgm/s (10 million kg moving at 14km/s), a Freighter (Charon) has a momentum of 9 billion kgm/s (96 million kg moving at .01km/s). Freighters are big, but they're not that heavy, and they're really slow.
A Carrier (Archon) does a little better, with a momentum of 108 billion kgm/s (1 billion kg moving at .01km/s).
A T1 frigate (Rifter) fit to bump things can have a momentum of up to around 11 billion kgm/s (1 million kg moving at 10km/s).
If we step up the size, a bump Machariel has a momentum of 392 billion kgm/s (94 million kg moving at 4km/s), compared to the Avatar's 170 billion kgm/s (2.2 billion kg moving at .075km/s).

Again, this is all calculated without the effects of an MWD on mass.

Start talking Kinetic energy, and boy howdy are the small fast ships going to start winning big.

In EVE, it seems, relative to small things, big things are a lot less solidly built than big things IRL are. And, of course, in real life size and structural strength are not particularly well correlated. The ISS is the size of a football field, masses half a million kilos, but a Smart Car would tear through it like so much tissue paper.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Pipa Porto
#102 - 2013-12-20 03:25:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Pipa Porto
Andy Landen wrote:
Pipa Porto wrote:
So why would anyone ever turn the magic collisions don't hurt button off?

Either running into something should hurt or it shouldn't. Whichever it is, it should work the same everywhere in space.

I thought I already explained the answer to your question. When alignment is more important that taking damage from a collision, or stopping an alignment is more important, then outside of high sec, the player may desire to turn off the button.

So now we've got everyone getting CONCORDed leaving Jita 4-4 because they've had to turn the magic button off to have any chance of warping today.
Or, if for some reason, you can't turn it off, you are not going to warp today.

Quote:
The button is NOT magic either. If another ship does not have the button on, then there is only so much that collision avoidance can do to avoid the collision, depending on the capabilities of the ship.

I agree with you that a collision should always hurt, whether in high sec all the way through to null. But if it is on, collision avoidance systems can always do their best to avoid it anywhere, even if their best is not good enough.

Ah, so we're back to being able to sit a Freighter in front of the Jita station and get everyone dead, one way or another.

Quote:
But when the ship is in micro warp (with the MWD activated), I think that collisions should be impossible because the ship is in warped space.

That's not what MWDs do. Warp and non-warp space (and velocity) are very clearly separated in EVE.

-RubyPorto

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#103 - 2013-12-20 03:40:13 UTC
For all those proposing collision damage: why do you hate servers so much that you want them to literally melt?

Right now node dies from invoked mass bump mechanics of supers jumping in a blob of drones/carriers. If you add damage / safeties / MWD / shields / w.e calculations for both bumping supers and bumpee drones/carriers it'll double or triple calculations needed. Also by turning "collisions avoidance flag" on you make Titans pretty much unkillable in fight as you wont be able to bump them away from reppers' range. Why would you want that?

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#104 - 2013-12-20 06:31:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentamon
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:
For all those proposing collision damage: why do you hate servers so much that you want them to literally melt?

Right now node dies from invoked mass bump mechanics of supers jumping in a blob of drones/carriers. If you add damage / safeties / MWD / shields / w.e calculations for both bumping supers and bumpee drones/carriers it'll double or triple calculations needed. Also by turning "collisions avoidance flag" on you make Titans pretty much unkillable in fight as you wont be able to bump them away from reppers' range. Why would you want that?

You just answered yourself. If ships destroyed each other from collision damage, youd never see supers jumping into a blob of carriers because they would destroy each other.

And if they were dumb enough to do so, the calculations to destroy the ships would be much much much less then all the targeting/tracking/firing .. and bumping that takes place right now.

All the Jita 4-4 arguments are also a huge red herring. The station is a result of so many poor game mechanics, the main two being unlimited storage space, and unlimited + instant docking ports. It needs to be fixed, not defended.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Sigras
Conglomo
#105 - 2013-12-20 09:33:02 UTC
ok, you want math? ill show you math . . .

a 280mm Howitzer arch angel titanium sabot round does 6.6 kinetic damage before skills.

we know from real life that a 250mm howitzer round weighs 745 lbs or 337.926 kg
we know from real life that the muzzle velocity on a 250mm howitzer round is around 1115 fps or 339.852 m/s

Now assuming that when this round hits it applies all its force in one second that leaves us with a total of 114,844.82 newtons of force and we know that this is equal to 6.6 damage.

an Enyo when using a 10mn AB has a mass of 6,171,000 kg and a velocity of 1,837 m/s again showing that all of that force is applied in one second, that leaves us with a total of 11,336,127,000 newtons.

Doing the proportion ratio means that we should hit for 651,474.208 damage so 6 hundred thousand damage. If you truly follow physics, unarmed frigates are now the most effective weapon in the game.

I realize that you could just restrict ships from fitting an AB one size up, so i did the math on a regular AB; the ship still does a little over 60,000 damage!

Stop using physics as an excuse; this argument has nothing to do with physics!

The long and short of it is that this change would cause problems and fix nothing therefore it should not happen.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#106 - 2013-12-20 16:28:11 UTC
Sigras wrote:
The long and short of it is that this change would cause problems and fix nothing therefore it should not happen.
This basically.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#107 - 2013-12-20 18:28:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Mag's wrote:
Sigras wrote:
This basically.

If this was a development principle we wouldn't have T2 items and ships, capital ships (no new ship model or class at all), POSs, scan probes, overload, smatbombs, FW, wormholes, PI, incursions, CQs (not really needed, I agree) and graphics would still look like Star Fox 64. EvE would be forever vanilla 1.0 with fixes.

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Lady Areola Fappington
#108 - 2013-12-20 18:36:56 UTC
Pipa Porto wrote:

You're concerned with the real life laws of Physics in a game where spaceships have maximum velocities and experience drag?

Anyway, even without the mass increase of the MWD, an unplated bump SFI has a momentum of up to 144 billion kgm/s (10 million kg moving at 14km/s), a Freighter (Charon) has a momentum of 9 billion kgm/s (96 million kg moving at .01km/s). Freighters are big, but they're not that heavy, and they're really slow.
A Carrier (Archon) does a little better, with a momentum of 108 billion kgm/s (1 billion kg moving at .01km/s).
A T1 frigate (Rifter) fit to bump things can have a momentum of up to around 11 billion kgm/s (1 million kg moving at 10km/s).
If we step up the size, a bump Machariel has a momentum of 392 billion kgm/s (94 million kg moving at 4km/s), compared to the Avatar's 170 billion kgm/s (2.2 billion kg moving at .075km/s).

Again, this is all calculated without the effects of an MWD on mass.

Start talking Kinetic energy, and boy howdy are the small fast ships going to start winning big.

In EVE, it seems, relative to small things, big things are a lot less solidly built than big things IRL are. And, of course, in real life size and structural strength are not particularly well correlated. The ISS is the size of a football field, masses half a million kilos, but a Smart Car would tear through it like so much tissue paper.

What you say makes sense, in a roundabout way. Freighters are made to haul cargo, everything not-cargo is just a waste. I expect they'd be made "tissue paper thin" to maximize what they can haul around.

If we pull the "realistic collision" canard out, a SFI slamming into a freighter is going to end up more like a large calibre bullet slamming into a human body. Tear right through, leave a ton of damage, with minimal deformation.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Sigras
Conglomo
#109 - 2013-12-20 20:26:09 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Sigras wrote:
This basically.

If this was a development principle we wouldn't have T2 items and ships, capital ships (no new ship model or class at all), POSs, scan probes, overload, smatbombs, FW, wormholes, PI, incursions, CQs (not really needed, I agree) and graphics would still look like Star Fox 64. EvE would be forever vanilla 1.0 with fixes.

fine, perhaps I misspoke, this change adds no new features, causes problems and fixes nothing therefore it should not happen.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#110 - 2013-12-20 22:07:54 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Sigras wrote:
This basically.

Dude we wouldn't have the Goddamned fracking game to begin with. Stop already.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#111 - 2013-12-20 22:18:05 UTC
Sigras wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Sigras wrote:
This basically.

fine, perhaps I misspoke, this change adds no new features, causes problems and fixes nothing therefore it should not happen.

Collision Damage is the feature. It just happens you didn't pictured a way to implement it without causing problems. Well, there's this ramming module idea...

Brain hackz0r. Execute schizophrenia virus. Hyper-phishing activated. Downloading reality.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#112 - 2013-12-20 22:39:47 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Sigras wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Sigras wrote:
This basically.

Collision Damage is the feature. It just happens you didn't pictured a way to implement it without causing problems. Well, there's this ramming module idea...

We don't need a ramming module. If we go with "real life" physics a frigate ramming a ship with an appropriately size AB should cause 60,000 damage. 4 frigates should be more than enough to ram a freighter to death...and on a 5 for good measure and suicide ganking (literally in this case) just became all that much more easy and cheaper. Now you'll be lucky to haul 50 million isk worth of crap in your Obelisk before being ganked.

Just stop with this nonsense.

Some things are in the game and are a bit goofy...even absurd...for a reason. That reason is game balance.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Pipa Porto
#113 - 2013-12-20 22:41:28 UTC
Nag'o wrote:

I thought the purpose of introducing collision damage was that it was unrealistic that ramming into people didn't hurt?

How is "running into a wall only hurts on a full moon and alternate Tuesdays" more realistic?

What is the benefit of the feature proposed that makes it worth implementing in a way that is far less realistic that "ships automatically avoid collisions, and that's why they "bounce" off each other but don't damage each other."

-RubyPorto

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#114 - 2013-12-20 23:18:38 UTC
I, too, am almost completely sure that collision damage was specifically suggested a "fix" to the "problem" of collisions not causing damage to smaller ships when your DST is being bumped in lowsec.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#115 - 2013-12-20 23:29:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Pipa Porto wrote:
Nag'o wrote:

I thought the purpose of introducing collision damage was that it was unrealistic that ramming into people didn't hurt?

How is "running into a wall only hurts on a full moon and alternate Tuesdays" more realistic?

What is the benefit of the feature proposed that makes it worth implementing in a way that is far less realistic that "ships automatically avoid collisions, and that's why they "bounce" off each other but don't damage each other."

It wasn't me who said we need collision damage to make the game more realistic. Although I do think collisions could be more realistic (by making bigger mass ships more difficult to move) I think a ramming module would simply make things more interesting. CCP could, for example, make ships less "bounceable" from regular collisions and the only way to push them around through ramming, wich also damages both ships.
A lore explanation could be that the ramming module scrambles the ship's hit detection sensors and collision avoidance propellers.
Ideas, ideas.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#116 - 2013-12-20 23:53:23 UTC
A point was made, on another thread, that this was the proper place to bring in my idea for ramming, as a weapon or tool.
I had not noticed this thread previously, and came back to find someone had declared it to be too similar, and requested an ISD lock for it.
The ISD fellow agreed, so here is my idea relocated.

Please note, anything not specified below from previous posts in this thread, does not really apply to my idea.
As to:
Nag'o wrote:
Seems like you wrote this inpired by ideas on this thead: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=305593&find=unread

The implementation for preventing other modules to be fitted is the fitting cost. And a high slot module shouldn't use calibration points, it's a bit awkward.

1. Never read your thread before seeing this post I am quoting.
2. You don't like my idea, whether because the fitting sacrifices are too high, or because it was unintentionally in competition with your thread here.

Considering the details of point two, it seemed odd that you would compel me to relocate.
Yet, here I am, apparently

For reference to the original:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4025062#post4025062

This item is a high slot module, that cannot be fitted unless it is the only high slot module.
(the means to insure no others are fitted, I leave to the devs creativity)
It is also costs 400 calibration points, meaning it won't work on every ship, and no rigs can be used.

This device transforms the ship into a reinforced kinetic weapon.

It deals damage equal to it's combined armor and structure, at the cost of taking damage equal to 75% of actually delivered damage, before calculating damage resistance modifiers.

The shields of both ships are neutralized over all points of contact, by a phase matching algorithm built into the module.
(It takes up every single high slot for a reason)

Example:
Skinny Bob is flying a stabber. He has 1625 each in armor and structure.
If Skinny Bob rams a target, he can deliver up to 3,250 damage.
WITH NOTHING ELSE FITTED, he would take 75% of this, or 2,438 raw kinetic damage.
Now, with his skills, the stabber has 25% kinetic resistance to it's armor.
This means that the armor is obliterated, and another 814 points of kinetic damage to it's structure.
(The stabber has no inherent damage resistance on structure, leaving the ship with 811 points of structure left, just under half)

It would probably be a good idea for Skinny Bob to invest in a damage control, as well as enhance the armor against kinetic damage.

Important Detail:
This ramming damage is all or nothing, as the spacecraft in EVE have built in hardware which averts collisions normally.
In order to override this, the point of the prow must make contact with a location on the target within the central 50% of it's profile, as determined by relative mass.
(Translated, it must be a solid hit, misses or glancing blows have no effect at all)

I understand that this can be tweaked on paper to appear quite powerful, but keep in mind that faster ships tend to be smaller than the vessels being compared to them, in many cases.
It is doubtful that we will see common occurrences of a BS plowing through a group of frigates, unless they had chosen to ram it first.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2013-12-21 00:39:30 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:

2. You don't like my idea, whether because the fitting sacrifices are too high, or because it was unintentionally in competition with your thread here.

Besides the weird fitting mechanic I don't like it also because it renders the ship useless for any purpose other than suicidal ganking.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#118 - 2013-12-21 03:46:46 UTC
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

Besides the weird fitting mechanic I don't like it also because it renders the ship useless for any purpose other than suicidal ganking.

It has two potential uses.

It could be fitted defensively on a DST, or industrial. With proper escort, and fitting options, making them effective juggernauts impossible to bump out of alignment.
(Destroy? yes, quite possibly, but they were already going to die if they got bumped out of aligning)
But adding armor to augment this is done at the expense of cargo space... trade offs.
Now, using these in high sec this way, a whole other set of considerations.
You would want to make sure they had established hostilities first. If you were worth ganking, as either a war target or high value payday, you should have had support or a countermeasure already in place. This won't replace that.

It can be used offensively as well, obviously.
Working best on ships with a high armor tank, it can be used to suicide gank effectively, as the expectation of Concordokken means inevitable ship loss regardless.
Outside of high sec, it leaves a ship vulnerable to being webbed, and danced around as opponents pound it into wreckage. You can't hurt them if you can't ram them.
But, it is by necessity the ship's ONLY direct weapon system when fitted, possibly with drones as a second layer of defense.
The higher your armor tank, and corresponding damage, the slower your speed and acceleration. Too much of one will leave not enough of the other. More trade offs.

It is complicated enough to plan tactics with, but simple enough to counter with a basic web.
Nag'o
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#119 - 2013-12-21 14:37:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Nag'o
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nag'o wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

It has two potential uses.

It could be fitted defensively on a DST, or industrial. With proper escort, and fitting options, making them effective juggernauts impossible to bump out of alignment.
(Destroy? yes, quite possibly, but they were already going to die if they got bumped out of aligning)
But adding armor to augment this is done at the expense of cargo space... trade offs.
Now, using these in high sec this way, a whole other set of considerations.
You would want to make sure they had established hostilities first. If you were worth ganking, as either a war target or high value payday, you should have had support or a countermeasure already in place. This won't replace that.

It can be used offensively as well, obviously.
Working best on ships with a high armor tank, it can be used to suicide gank effectively, as the expectation of Concordokken means inevitable ship loss regardless.
Outside of high sec, it leaves a ship vulnerable to being webbed, and danced around as opponents pound it into wreckage. You can't hurt them if you can't ram them.
But, it is by necessity the ship's ONLY direct weapon system when fitted, possibly with drones as a second layer of defense.
The higher your armor tank, and corresponding damage, the slower your speed and acceleration. Too much of one will leave not enough of the other. More trade offs.

It is complicated enough to plan tactics with, but simple enough to counter with a basic web.

I think it's just too much drawbacks for a too simple mechanic, that is, basically, suicidal ships. I also don't like the idea of a module that is meant for suicide. Suicidal ganking is meta gaming, it's not supposed to have a module for it's own. It makes it a no brainer. I'd rather have CCP fixing the ship's balloon physics and implementing a module for aggressive bumping that may also be used for suicide ganking.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#120 - 2013-12-21 20:26:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Old and repetitious topic, to be quite honest.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

More older threads on this topic,

Link 5
Link 6
Link 7
Link 8