These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Sisters of EVE Battleship

First post First post First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1941 - 2014-01-11 11:02:04 UTC
No, the entire ship should get canned and we should just pretend it never existed.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1942 - 2014-01-11 11:03:34 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
It SHOULD get a covert cloak though... A black ops ship with a covert cloak would be way more overpowered than a Nestor with a cloak.

Compare the stats of the Nestor to any of the Black Ops and let me know in which area Black Ops are overpowered...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1943 - 2014-01-11 11:10:18 UTC
Fortorn Lonshanks wrote:
Divi Filus wrote:
If you think a range bonus is “what people want here,” I have to wonder if you’ve read past, say, page ten of the thread.

Highly schizophrenic thread here though.

I have seen people call for virtually every improvement on any and all existing battleship, command ship, and capital platform.

Probably people just want at least something out of this stuff Big smile
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#1944 - 2014-01-11 11:15:07 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I put the smallest size of large beams on. They aren't very useful, but when are lasers ever spectacular on a Sisters ship?

It would be interesting to have that optimal range bonus apply to all lasers which would give it a unique selling point as when coupled with the warp speed you have a capable small gang turret BS much like the rapid missile raven.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1945 - 2014-01-11 11:22:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:
It SHOULD get a covert cloak though... A black ops ship with a covert cloak would be way more overpowered than a Nestor with a cloak.

Compare the stats of the Nestor to any of the Black Ops and let me know in which area Black Ops are overpowered...

A black ops ship can jump to a cyno... Blink

Can you imagine how hard it would be to catch a ship that could warp cloaked, jump to a cyno and light a cyno to bring in backup? Shocked

CCP logic that the black ops ship should be the only battleship hull to possible have a covet cloak in the future is flawed.
Imiarr Timshae
Funny Men In Funny Hats
#1946 - 2014-01-11 11:38:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Imiarr Timshae
Fortorn Lonshanks wrote:

Highly schizophrenic thread here though.

It hears voices, is deluded or suffers from psychosis? Straight

James Amril-Kesh wrote:
No, the entire ship should get canned and we should just pretend it never existed.

Amril-Kesh for CSM Big smile
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1947 - 2014-01-11 11:41:42 UTC
You know one solution to the thing simply not being worth 2 Billion is to drop the LP back to say a bit over double a Stratios ... say 300 LP per Nestor.
Imiarr Timshae
Funny Men In Funny Hats
#1948 - 2014-01-11 11:45:28 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
You know one solution to the thing simply not being worth 2 Billion is to drop the LP back to say a bit over double a Stratios ... say 300 LP per Nestor.

There is nothing wrong with the LP cost. What is wrong is that it's not any good. Big smile
Sieonigh
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1949 - 2014-01-11 12:41:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Sieonigh
iv really tried to give thought as to where the nester would excel and i think iv finally worked it out.

this ship would make a grate alliance tournament armor logi for a tinker set up. assuming that the rules will be just a prohibitive as last tournament then you have you self quite the ship.

battle ship armor res tank.

remote armor reps with a little extra range to mitigate bumping issues that T3s get

abundance of mid slots at mitigate sensor damps and jams

2 more lock targets than T3s

and drones which are the current meta of damage play and/or set of heavy logi drones with extra HP.

so to conclude you will sell about 10 of these ships for their niche appeal. yay! \o/
Jeanne-Luise Argenau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1950 - 2014-01-11 12:44:11 UTC
Imiarr Timshae wrote:
Hasikan Miallok wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the LP cost. What is wrong is that it's not any good. Big smile

Tbh i think of the sisters of eve as faction black ops (sb, recon, blackops) so why not fill that role with giving it also jump capabilities like a black ops bs just that its not able to jump other ships to the cyno/ covert cyno and albeit increasing the dronehold to 625.
AOSA
Atreidun Order
#1951 - 2014-01-11 14:53:53 UTC
@ CCP Rise,

There are two things I see this ship benefiting from which have already been discussed very heavily on both in this and other threads:

"* Covert cloaking - we discussed this extensively and ultimately agreed that it is both too powerful, and also should belong on a tech 2 battleship before a pirate faction if it were to happen.
* Ship maintenance arrays - we talked about this a lot as well but the new personal depots cover this function nicely without ever leading to afk gameplay (which would be a risk if it was on the Nestor)."

CCP has worried about rebalancing ships and developing balanced, non-over powered ships for forever, even though the fan base calls for a few select ships to be beefed up. I say if this is really a sandbox set in the time of an Empire stand off, why should it be?

Functionally, the balancing of characteristics should hold true for standard empire ships and even faction ships, especially navy vessel. However, independent and autonomous pirate factions should not be bound to this. CCP's doctrine of buffing anything deemed over powered has become misguided and gotten out of hand.  Case and point Black Ops Battleships.  Why not make them Covert Cloaking capable?  It makes no sense that a covert themed T2 anything would not make use of this be it a bomber, recon, or yes, even battleship. I think that was a mistake from the beginning not to include that. There is a reason they are T2, and its because they are superior.  You can make these ships as weak or powerful as you want as long as they are balanced by equally powerful ships of the other races. 

Secondly, CCP has already introduced the idea of rare, valuable, and over-powered T2 empire and pirate faction ships as rewards to those winners of the alliance tournaments. These new SoS Ships also display incredibly T2 like attributes and one might argue that these ships should be balanced to be more inline with other pirate faction capabilities. This would agree with my previous statements above, however, these ship already clearly display capabilities far in excess of their other faction counterparts.

Again, I ask, why not beef up some ships some what disproportionately? I would say the Nestor should have both a Cov. Ops. Cloak and a SMA capability, but with the current stats I think that is greedy, so give us one.

In my honest opinion I think the role of this ship is all wrong, if it were me, I would kill the laser bonuses and make it a covert mobile logistics and re-fit vessel. The theme seems to be trending that way anyway, why else would you depict a shuttle docking bay, but then never make a functional element of the ship? Lame Sauce.

Consider the idea guys. Be willing to risk experiment with themes like that. Eve is highly technological rat race, Empire Cold War! Make them push the envelop of norms and capabilities. Forward Until Dawn!

P.S. I am really am excite to see where these new jump gates and implants are headed. I hope its Jove Space or better!
Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1952 - 2014-01-11 15:00:32 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
Phoenix Jones wrote:
By a statistical standpoint, this ship is a god for armor droneboats (with the price to boot). Adding magic fairy dust and giving it any type of cloak bonus won't make it better, only worse.

This ship is an overpriced Dominix, with 6 low slots and a 4% armor resistance, it gains the benefit of 1 ENAM, it puts its tank ability on par with the Dominix, maybe slightly higher due to stacking penalties.

I agree with CCP Rise on that covert ops cloaks should be reserved for T2 battleships if any battle ship should get a covert ops cloaking device. I have my own reservations about that topic.

A cloaked velocity bonus would help the ship move around in a manner fitting to an exploration ship.

My alliance mates have tested it on sisi as a spider tanked BS and run it against spider tanked domi's.
It is far far superior to the domi in that set up.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1953 - 2014-01-11 16:15:11 UTC
Silvetica Dian wrote:
[quote=Omnathious Deninard]
My alliance mates have tested it on sisi as a spider tanked BS and run it against spider tanked domi's.
It is far far superior to the domi in that set up.

And we need a "superior" Dominix for what exactly?

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1954 - 2014-01-11 17:48:00 UTC
Except given the choice between some ****** RR that we can't really use very well because of cap concerns and the damage projection bonuses of the Dominix I'd choose the Dominix. Even if money were no concern.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1955 - 2014-01-11 18:36:50 UTC
On reconsideration, I think the Nestor should have a Covert Ops cloak after all. From the slot layout and power grid you're not going to be able to maximize exploration, logistics and combat without really sacrificing a lot. It doesn't have enough mid or low slots to either be a true shield or tank beast without also sacrificing a lot of offensive capability.

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1956 - 2014-01-11 18:59:19 UTC
Setting aside the issue of the Divine Right of Black Ops To Receive Great Honorable Covert Cloak First If Ever, the biggest problem with having a covops on a Nestor is the ability to drop battleship-level tank and gank on a target that has no way to see you coming. (The problem only gets worse if you imagine what certain unmentionable parties might do with a fleet of covert-capable RR droneboats.)

So here’s a thought: what if you gave the ship a covops cloak, but slapped an extra penalty on its sensor recalibration time? For argument’s sake, let’s say something like either a flat 15 or 20s increase (± whatever, I’m not set on the numbers), or a 300-400% increase that would mean greater dependence on the Cloaking skill level. The idea is that you get the benefit of being able to travel in hostile space while cloaked, without the (very powerful) ability to achieve total surprise by using the Nestor as a cloaky solopwnmobile.

And if you’re really concerned about the amount of DPS coming through covert bridges (I’m looking at you, Rise), just deny it the ability to take a covert bridge. It’s not like that’s an inherent feature of the covert cloak.

I’m sure there’s some problem that I’ve overlooked, so what do you think? Interesting? Terrible? Flame away, you monsters.
Roy Alleyne
Dark Knowledge.
#1957 - 2014-01-11 19:17:54 UTC
Fortorn Lonshanks wrote:

While yes you can fit a cloak to any ship in game but freighters and shuttles, the cov ops enables mobility as well as stealth.

Why would we limit this aspect in the battleship. Are we too afraid it would compete with the transport ships once the lows are filled with expanded cargo holds? Do we really need to train jump drive operation to fly a mobile cloaked battleship?

There is a very important reason that covert ops capable ships are designed the way they are. Covert ops cloaks are probably the most powerful pvp modules in the game available to the average player. It allows a ship to move within a system with near impunity and to be immune to all but the best gate camps. This is good for flying around and looking at things but the true power of a covops cloak is that it allows a ship, or a fleet of ships, to always have the decision of engagement, to dictate initial engagement range, and always have the element of surprise over your prey. Therefore it is essential for balance that cloaky ships not be able to go toe to toe with combat orientated ships or risk people completely abandoning noncloaky hulls due to their huge disadvantage of always being prey.

BSs are inherantly designed for dealing out and absorbing massive amounts of dps, exactly what a covert ops ship cannot offer if it is to be balanced. Further more, in order to properly utilize a covert cloak requires that you'r ship's base speed be relatively high since it wouldn't matter to the camp you jumped into if you are going 100m/s or 0m/s, they can still decloak you just as easily except now you are a huge target without the strong tank and guns of a normal BS.
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1958 - 2014-01-11 19:37:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Divi Filus
Roy Alleyne wrote:
There is a very important reason that covert ops capable ships are designed the way they are. Covert ops cloaks are probably the most powerful pvp modules in the game available to the average player. It allows a ship to move within a system with near impunity and to be immune to all but the best gate camps. This is good for flying around and looking at things but the true power of a covops cloak is that it allows a ship, or a fleet of ships, to always have the decision of engagement, to dictate initial engagement range, and always have the element of surprise over your prey. Therefore it is essential for balance that cloaky ships not be able to go toe to toe with combat orientated ships or risk people completely abandoning noncloaky hulls due to their huge disadvantage of always being prey.

It’s amazing that it’s taken 98 pages to get a clear explanation of the strengths of a covert cloak.

Roy Alleyne wrote:
BSs are inherantly designed for dealing out and absorbing massive amounts of dps, exactly what a covert ops ship cannot offer if it is to be balanced. Further more, in order to properly utilize a covert cloak requires that you'r ship's base speed be relatively high since it wouldn't matter to the camp you jumped into if you are going 100m/s or 0m/s, they can still decloak you just as easily except now you are a huge target without the strong tank and guns of a normal BS.

My only issue with this is that if a good gate camp can easily decloak a battleship-sized target (which they can, I agree), that seems as if to say that a battleship gets diminishing returns with a covert cloak. I.e., you’re saying on the one hand that a covert battleship would be very powerful (it would), but that a battleship can’t properly utilize a covert cloak anyway. Granted, there are other, very powerful uses for a covops on a BS, as you’ve pointed out. But I think you’ve pointed out one important balance point: even a cloaked Nestor would hardly be immune to camps.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1959 - 2014-01-11 19:45:18 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Why would an explorer use the nestor over a tengu, legion, or stratios? No reason.
Why would any pvper use this ship over a Dominix, Guardian, or Archon? No reason.
Why would a mission runner use this ship over a Marauder, Machariel, or Rattlesnake? No reason.

Is there ANYONE that will use the Nestor over cheaper and better alternatives?

If you can't answer these questions, a redesign might not be such a bad idea.

I'm just gonna reiterate my earlier point.

Cost really won't make a huge difference here guys. Even if it only cost 350 mil (current price of stratios), people would still use:

~a tengu, legion, or stratios for exploration.
~a dominix or guardian for pvp
~a domi for mission running (the tracking bonus just makes it sooo much better)

Making the ship cheaper won't solve anything, you go from having an expensive piece of **** to having a cheap piece of ****. It's still a piece of **** either way.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1960 - 2014-01-11 20:20:05 UTC
Yes, because that would absolutely break my heart if gate camps had a tougher go of it... Roll