These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Sisters of EVE Battleship

First post First post First post
Author
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1901 - 2014-01-10 09:59:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Kagura Nikon
Damien White wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Large remote repiarers shoudl be stronger. But logis of t1 or t2 shoudl be way way weaker. Think how much weaker they would need to be so this ship would be considered a good ship.

Wait... you are serious?

To make a bad ship become a reasonable option you want to nerf existing ships?

Fact is, a logistic BS will never work because part of the effectivity of Logistics is their small signature radius, which a BS will never get.

If you want repairs from capable ships with a nearly 100% hit signature (400m or more) you can already field Carriers. Those cost nearly the same, have more hitpoints, better tank and remote repair ability.

There is absolutely no need for a logistic BS, aside from maybe one or two special cases in PvE teritory.

Or in other words, to make this ship a viable option for a logistic pilot you need to nerf T1 Logistics, T2 Logistics, Carriers and maybe even the Dominix / Armageddon beyond hope. 14 Ships nerfed to **** because CCP has no idea what the field for this ship is. Because "exploration" is not.

you forgot the age of RR battleships? THat was an interestign PVP Time. Logis only arose in power because of end of Titan AOE weapon. Nowadays Every fight has lots of logis. Logis changed? NO.. but the environment changed

And yes, perception of power is completely dependent on the environment. Nothign is strong or weak in a vacuum.

Haven't you seen stupid 12 logis, nothign else fleets yet around? When somethign that stupid can beat 30 T2 and t3 cruisers, then somethign is WRONG.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kvothe Bl00dless
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1902 - 2014-01-10 11:39:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Kvothe Bl00dless
CCP Rise wrote:

After going over a lot of these options in detail (both initially and after reading feedback), we feel happy with the decision to go with a focus in logistics, low mass, and general versatility.

No one is going to spend 2 bil isk for a 20km large remote armor/large shield transfer platform.
For same price u can field 10 logistics or a carrier with capital RR and 2 mil ehp.

Low mass BS, is it a joke? Cool some WH dude can think about it but i'm pretty sure T3 perform better for many reasons.
Will the " low mass and not so good RR " be the special features of this 2 bil toy? that's all? really?
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1903 - 2014-01-10 11:47:02 UTC
Kvothe Bl00dless wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

After going over a lot of these options in detail (both initially and after reading feedback), we feel happy with the decision to go with a focus in logistics, low mass, and general versatility.

No one is going to spend 2 bil isk for a 20km large remote armor/large shield transfer platform.
For same price u can field 10 logistics or a carrier with capital RR and 2 mil ehp.

Low mass BS, is it a joke? Cool some WH dude can think about it but i'm pretty sure T3 perform better for many reasons.
Will the " low mass and not so good RR " be the special features of this 2 bil toy? that's all? really?

then do not buy it....

Peopel complained same about stratios. Yet I sold so many of them that my figners hurt of putting sell orders.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Kvothe Bl00dless
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1904 - 2014-01-10 11:54:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Kvothe Bl00dless
Dude stratios is a cruiser and can be bridged by black ops.
It actually can deal a bit less damage than a gank fitted black op for 1/3 of the price.
Nestor and stratios right now are on 2 whole different universes.
Also stratios is one of the (if not the) most big covert cloak damage dealer around.

While i too consider out of discussion a covert cloak on a BS hull, it will need a better " special feature " for the price is gonna cost.
20km rep range is just bad.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1905 - 2014-01-10 12:12:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
PotatoOverdose wrote:

CCP Rise wrote:
For instance, a small PVP group might love to take advantage of the probing bonus for getting quicker results on enemy snipers or safed up opponents.

Do you really think that people will spend 1-2 bil for a mediocre logi battleship? I mean ffs the ship costs as much as an archon! Meanwhile Guardians are a superlative logi alternative in a much lower price range. Maybe I'm dumb, but I just don't see it.

Could you perhaps elaborate on how you see this ship being used (preferably with specific examples)?

You know, like when you're on a PVP roam with faction battleships and the FC says "hey guys, do you want to scan down a data site and do that totally fun hacking mini game?". Roll
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1906 - 2014-01-10 12:21:48 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:

CCP Rise wrote:
For instance, a small PVP group might love to take advantage of the probing bonus for getting quicker results on enemy snipers or safed up opponents.

Do you really think that people will spend 1-2 bil for a mediocre logi battleship? I mean ffs the ship costs as much as an archon! Meanwhile Guardians are a superlative logi alternative in a much lower price range. Maybe I'm dumb, but I just don't see it.

Could you perhaps elaborate on how you see this ship being used (preferably with specific examples)?

You know, like when you're on a PVP roam with faction battleships and the FC says "hey guys, do you want to scan down a data site and do that totally fun hacking mini game?". Roll

Dont some incursion sites have repair turrets that need to be hacked? Not saying its the smart way to run the site... but there is content to use it.

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1907 - 2014-01-10 12:53:12 UTC
Because if there is one enriching experience in eve that needs a butt, it's incursions...
Elam Kaundur
Imperium Galactic Navy
Imperium Galactic Empire
#1908 - 2014-01-10 14:41:28 UTC
I'm not really the expert here; but it seems that this is a ship meant specifically for wormhole ops, when you don't have a lot of pilots to work with (2-3). A Dominix could do as much damage with sentries, a logi could do better at repping, another exploration ship could do just as well with scanning or hacking, but the only other ships that could do all of these at once are strategic cruisers.

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1909 - 2014-01-10 15:12:51 UTC
Elam Kaundur wrote:
I'm not really the expert here; but it seems that this is a ship meant specifically for wormhole ops, when you don't have a lot of pilots to work with (2-3). A Dominix could do as much damage with sentries, a logi could do better at repping, another exploration ship could do just as well with scanning or hacking, but the only other ships that could do all of these at once are strategic cruisers.

Don 't dare to bring sense to this forum!

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1910 - 2014-01-10 15:23:23 UTC
Show me a 2-3 man gang that fields a 2 billion isk ship in wormhole space and i'll show you 2-3 expensive and unnecessary loss mails.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1911 - 2014-01-10 15:43:49 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Show me a 2-3 man gang that fields a 2 billion isk ship in wormhole space and i'll show you 2-3 expensive and unnecessary loss mails.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.... jsut because is not wise, doe snto mean people will not do it.

Its not wise to run missions while not blitzing, still the majority of players do it.

Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#1912 - 2014-01-10 15:43:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Steph Livingston
Although I think the small tweaks that Rise and the rest of CCP have applied to the Nestor have helped, I still don't think it's in a good place. I know the 'Role Bonuses' are supposed to help it fit more of a generalist role, but the number of unrelated and lack luster bonuses just end up making it feel unfocused.

The Nestor is supposed to represent the core ideals of the SoE and use their newest tech, it seems like the design shifted away from these ideas and more towards the 'That's nice to have' side of the spectrum. Since most pirate BSs have Two race specific bonuses and one role bonus, I'd actually like to see a few of the role bonuses dropped in order to give the ship more of an identity.

Both the Gallente drone bonus and Amarr armor bonuses make sense to me. The optimal laser range bonus seems to be a decent role bonus to tie the line together a little bit better, although it's not quite as powerful as the Role bonuses from the other pirate factions.

In theory we could leave it there, the Nestor would be slightly less powerful then other pirate BSs, but it wouldn't be worthless (when comparing stats, I'm not going in to price).

In order to bring it into line, I would suggest one last role bonus to give it a focus. We have a number of different options, but I'd like to see the bonus represent the Sisters, and not just a 'nice to have'. So we'd probably want to look at something that has an 'Exploration' or 'Helping' vibe. There are a number of options, but the Nestor would probably benefit from losing many of the Role Bonuses it currently has and instead of focusing on one, or two, main abilities.

If there's one point I'd like to get across it's this: In Eve a ship with a number of lesser abilities isn't a Jack of all trades, it's generally just weaker and less memorable. You need to give people a reason to WANT to use a ship over anything else.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1913 - 2014-01-10 16:07:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.... jsut because is not wise, doe snto mean people will not do it.

Its not wise to run missions while not blitzing, still the majority of players do it.

Rare and unrepeated acts of stupidity do not warrant the creation of a new faction BS. TBH honest, i don't care about this ship now. I was only posting because i was hoping CCP would see sense and make this ship worth flying but as they have already confirmed the ship is staying as is, i'm not interested.

Fly safe or fly stupid o/
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1914 - 2014-01-10 16:58:03 UTC
Steph Livingston wrote:
Although both the Stratios and Astero have the ability to fit cloaking devices, I'm not sure that's something that should have been introduced on SoE ships. Although they do have some darker, less altruistic factions internally, SoE's main focus is on exploration, research and assisting those in need. Out of all the pirate factions I actually think SoE is actually the LAST one that would concentrate on cloaking tech. Personally, I'd cross this option right off the list.

I find it puzzling that you can say a) that SoE ships should focus on exploration and b) that it doesn’t make sense that they should cloak in the same breath. The ability to cloak, either covertly or (as I and others have suggested) with a bonus to movement speed is a boon to exploration (among other things). That seems fairly uncontroversial here. (And by the way, lore-wise, the Sisters have been using cloaky ships—the Sin, Nemesis, and Helios are explicitly named—since the run-up to Incursion, at least.)

Either way, these are meant to be mechanic-driven exploration (or exploration support) ships. It’s possible to respect the SoE lore without letting it dictate what design best fits that mechanic.
Imiarr Timshae
Funny Men In Funny Hats
#1915 - 2014-01-10 17:45:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Imiarr Timshae
It's pretty simple :

Worse than marauders/other faction BS for highsec level 4's.
Cannot enter highsec exploration content.
More expensive and worse than T3's for doing lowsec exploration content.
Worse than a logi and gank squad for nullsec exploration content (or a helios if all you do is hack/scan).
More expensive/worse/larger than T3's for wormholes.
Worse than black ops ships for.... black ops.
Worse than logi's for RR.
Worse than other drone ships for drone damage.
Worse than carriers/T3's for Level 5's in lowsec.
Edit : And if you're putting them in a "secured" wormhole you own... for 2bn+ for the hull alone just get a carrier.

Bottom line : Any content these could be used for effectively will not see them in common usage due to their price compared to equal or superior alternatives. The end.
Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#1916 - 2014-01-10 18:24:24 UTC
Imiarr Timshae wrote:
It's pretty simple :

Edit : And if you're putting them in a "secured" wormhole you own... for 2bn+ for the hull alone just get a carrier.

If you forget about the 2b price tag, I assume we could see it drop to around 400m like the other pirate BS over an extended period, is there anything you would use it for?
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1917 - 2014-01-10 18:39:44 UTC
Steph Livingston wrote:
Imiarr Timshae wrote:
It's pretty simple :

If you forget about the 2b price tag, I assume we could see it drop to around 400m like the other pirate BS over an extended period, is there anything you would use it for?

You're smoking some good stuff there. Find me a dude that sells Bhaalgorns, Machariels, Nightmares, or Vindicators for 400 mil.
Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#1918 - 2014-01-10 18:46:26 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Steph Livingston wrote:
Imiarr Timshae wrote:
It's pretty simple :

You're smoking some good stuff there. Find me a dude that sells Bhaalgorns, Machariels, Nightmares, or Vindicators for 400 mil.

I was looking at the Rattlesnake yesterday, which is similar in the drone/tank layout, and it was selling for 400m.

You should also keep in mind that this is the first Pirate faction that has T4s available in highsec, which is probably attractive to certain players. Cost is directly related to demand anyways, if no one buys a Nestor at 2b the prices will just keep dropping until people start finding them attractive.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1919 - 2014-01-10 19:01:26 UTC
Steph Livingston wrote:
Cost is directly related to demand anyways, if no one buys a Nestor at 2b the prices will just keep dropping until people start finding them attractive.

No, the Isk-LP conversion rate will still be pegged to the next highest item, probably the Stratios (because that ship actually fits more than a few roles rather well). No one is gonna go for the 1000isk/lp* Nestor when they could sell the 2000 isk/lp* Stratios (*not actual lp figures). People simply won't turn in their LP for the Nestor, and it will remain unused.
Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1920 - 2014-01-10 19:41:07 UTC
Just an Idea, but how about general Changes to the complete Ship?

Right now its a mess, it is designed to do everything but then failes to even remotely compete with specialized ships. Why not try to find something "new" for the Nestor?

=====

First of all, think of what this ship could be capable of and what would be unneddessary. Should this ship go for a more supportive role than simply remove any sort of weapon based bonus and reduce the ammount of high and turret slotts. This way you wont even remotely get the urge to make it a viable weapon platform.

Or go for the offensive part and improve the weapon based boni while reducing its versatility.

But since outperforming other BS in terms of damage is kinda pointles, lets go for the suport role.

So what are his offensive boni? Drone damage, drone bandwith, turret hardpoints and lasee optimal range. Just remove the boni and lower the stats (like 75 bandwith and 0 turret hardpoints)

Now we got a defenceles 2b piniata... Well, that was ****, wasnt it? But increasing the offensive power would contradict the support role and neutral nature of the sisters of eve.

How about instead of 10% to drone damage it gets 10% to utility drone abilitys like ECM, Stasis Webbifier or Remote Rep Drones, thus giving the ship a way to defend itself and help others. To increase this kind of versatility, how about an even bigger dronebay, like 1.000m³ or more and maybe the ability to launch more than 5 drones? This way it would be the first purely drone based subcapital out there, not perfect or "strong" but "special" and his 10 Hobgoblins would do the same ammount of damage as the ones of every other drone based ship out there so it can at least kill taklefrigs.

75mb bandwith would enable the ship to use 10 light or 7 medium drones but not more than 3 sentrys/Heavy drones. Since no one uses large utility drones this is no problem, 10 light ECM will definitely be something to consider when engaging this ship and with a large enough dronebay it can afford to leave drones behind.

Still, with all this stuff no one in his right mind would field one of those in PvP combat. But we still have the remote repair boni, dont we?

Well, as is mentioned multiple times, they have no use in space since there are multiple ships (more than 10 subcapital) capable of doing the same for way lower cost. But you want to keep the supportive role?

How about you give the ship some sort of passive rolebonus like +5% or +10% to remoterep range, duration and/or capusage in the fleet? Same for scan probe strength. Make it so that other pilots need the support of a nestor to get the maximum effect out of their modules.

Give it some fleetbonus for reactivationdelay of MJD
or
Have it increase the warpspeed of the whole fleet
or
Make it an stationary MJD for other ships like the module you want to implement, maybe with an aditional fuelbay?
or
How about a general bonus to hitpoints?
or
How about the ability to deactivate a bubble for a couple of seconds? (2-3s)
or
How about a bonus working together with other sisters of eve ships, further improving their exploration capabilities?
or
How about a generic +5% to all E-war stuff?

There are tons of ways to give the ship a function, not relying on firepower that even the largest fleets out there would
appreciate, make it a true support ship.

You have multiple options to balance this, my prefered one would be by removing slotts and thus propably creating the Battleship with the lowest slotcount but since it does not rely on weapons it does not need that many slotts, that otherwise would be used for weapons, damagemods etc.

We already have more than enough 1.000+ DPS Battleships and Battlecruisers out there, we dont need another one of those and we have plenty of dedicated electronic warfare ships, cloacky stuff and repairships. When we need one of those we use the dedicated ships because they do a better job with lower costs. (Hell, you can fit a deadspace Oneiros and still have some money left over...)

No matter what you do, just dont try to create the ship that wants to do everything a little but nothing right.

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"