These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Sisters of EVE Battleship

First post First post First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1881 - 2014-01-09 20:43:28 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
I think a jump drive would mean redesigning the entire ship.

TBH this might be a good idea with or without the jump drive.

Let's take a step back for a minute, because there is an obvious disconnect between many of the posters in this thread and the vision you present.

Exactly. Scrap the current design. Forget whatever plan you had originally. It isn't going to work. The ship is all over the place and doesn't do anything well enough to justify its price.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1882 - 2014-01-09 20:49:53 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

Let's take a step back for a minute, because there is an obvious disconnect between many of the posters in this thread and the vision you present.

Exactly. Scrap the current design. Forget whatever plan you had originally. It isn't going to work. The ship is all over the place and doesn't do anything well enough to justify its price.

This.

Senarian Tyme
Serenity Rising LLC
Controlled Chaos
#1883 - 2014-01-09 21:09:06 UTC
I think the core issue comes down to what its intended for.

If its suposed to be for exploration, then it needs a 15 virus str to justify its use vs any other hacking ship, and it also really should have a covert ops capability. All the remote repping and gun bonuses could then be removed.

If it is intended for exploration SUPPORT (instead of direct exploration), then its scanner/hacking gun bonuses can be removed. It should however be given a SMA capable of holding at least a single frigate. Its repping bonuses should also be set for cycle speed, reduced cap use and range instead of power. Also the ability to jump directly to a covert cyno would make it viable for supporting fleets in 0.0 and LS, but have no impact on WH ops. The increased velocity while cloaked is also nice, but a elimination of targeting resolution penaly would likely be desireable as well esp if expected to be repping.

If its intended for direct combat, then remove the logi and hacking bonuses. Consider leaving the scanner bonus.

Another option to consider, dont make it a battleship, downgrade it to a battlecruiser. This would make it significantly more affordable and likely to be used, even in its current unenviable form. (EHP, PG, and CPU might need downgrading with this approach.)
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1884 - 2014-01-09 21:19:02 UTC
Senarian Tyme wrote:

Another person demonstrating clear logical thinking about ship design. Design to purpose, who'd have thought?

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1885 - 2014-01-09 21:42:13 UTC
Rise, please read this:

I know sometimes I am a bit.. agressive when I complain of your ideas. But this time I agree with you. But I hope you can take this as an opportunity to eveluate somethign. Why people think all these bonuses are weak?

Because T1 and t2 logis are both far too powerful!!!!

Large remote repiarers shoudl be stronger. But logis of t1 or t2 shoudl be way way weaker. Think how much weaker they would need to be so this ship would be considered a good ship.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1886 - 2014-01-09 21:54:11 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Rise, please read this:

I know sometimes I am a bit.. agressive when I complain of your ideas. But this time I agree with you. But I hope you can take this as an opportunity to eveluate somethign. Why people think all these bonuses are weak?

Large remote repiarers shoudl be stronger. But logis of t1 or t2 shoudl be way way weaker. Think how much weaker they would need to be so this ship would be considered a good ship.

No, they're weak because the ship is confused, disorganized, and has no distinctive purpose. It's a gimmick. It's eye candy. It's a toy. Nothing more. If you completely removed logi from the game it would still be a bad ship.

T1 and T2 logis are fine. A nerf would have no effect, we'd just spam more of them. It's not as if they're expensive.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1887 - 2014-01-09 21:58:01 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:

Wait... you are serious?

To make a bad ship become a reasonable option you want to nerf existing ships?

Fact is, a logistic BS will never work because part of the effectivity of Logistics is their small signature radius, which a BS will never get.

If you want repairs from capable ships with a nearly 100% hit signature (400m or more) you can already field Carriers. Those cost nearly the same, have more hitpoints, better tank and remote repair ability.

There is absolutely no need for a logistic BS, aside from maybe one or two special cases in PvE teritory.

Or in other words, to make this ship a viable option for a logistic pilot you need to nerf T1 Logistics, T2 Logistics, Carriers and maybe even the Dominix / Armageddon beyond hope. 14 Ships nerfed to **** because CCP has no idea what the field for this ship is. Because "exploration" is not.

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1888 - 2014-01-09 22:03:31 UTC  |  Edited by: PotatoOverdose
Why would an explorer use the nestor over a tengu, legion, or stratios? No reason.
Why would any pvper use this ship over a Dominix, Guardian, or Archon? No reason.
Why would a mission runner use this ship over a Marauder, Machariel, or Rattlesnake? No reason.

Is there ANYONE that will use the Nestor over cheaper and better alternatives?

If you can't answer these questions, a redesign might not be such a bad idea.
Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1889 - 2014-01-09 22:07:25 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Rise, please read this:

OMG?! How did we get from making this thing reasonable to nerf the **** out of everything else? lol

Damien White
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1890 - 2014-01-09 22:08:52 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
If you can't answer these questions, a redesign might not be such a bad idea.

Maybe someone with a design fetish?

97% of girls would die if Justin Bieber were about to jump off a cliff. Post this in your sig if you`re part of the 3% yelling,

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#1891 - 2014-01-09 22:20:25 UTC
Well still can't think of a useful purpose for this ship.

Not alot of reason to use this in PvP. A Logi will be much cheaper, more survivable (sig/speed/range), and about on par for skills needed (yes they are op'd, but they are still a fact of the game). Sure the Nestor has massive base rep power, but it's still just a T1 BS which is so damn fat and slow that a Dread could probably hit it reliably. Why would I ever use a Nestor?

And for PvE it still doesn't make much sense. For missions, a Domi does the same job but better. And for exploration a T3/Stratios is faster, more maneuverable, covert cloaks, and is harder to scan out. So again, why use a Nestor?

Maybe a possible solution is to start adding in Hack/Relic stuff to missions? That way it could be useful there. Not saying that the Hack/Relic should be needed to complete the mission, just an added bonus on top. I don't know. Still just seems a massive waste of ISK for little actual benefit. Hopefully there is more to the Nestor that I am just not seeing.
Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1892 - 2014-01-09 22:27:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Savira Terrant
Vladimir Norkoff wrote:
Maybe a possible solution is to start adding in Hack/Relic stuff to missions? That way it could be useful there. Not saying that the Hack/Relic should be needed to complete the mission, just an added bonus on top. I don't know. Still just seems a massive waste of ISK for little actual benefit. Hopefully there is more to the Nestor that I am just not seeing.

No offense Vladimir. But this one is also nice: "Let's add stuff to the most boring part of the game, to make a crappy ship 'needed'." Somewhere some CCP employee actually mentioned "possible future features" as a use for the hacking abilites of this ship, that seemingly none else will be able to run better... CCP is adding this ship to the game right now though.

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1893 - 2014-01-09 23:35:25 UTC
Remove the exploration bonuses and replace them with something that's actually useful.

Scanning Battleship? Is this a complete joke or something?
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1894 - 2014-01-10 00:03:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

No, they're weak because the ship is confused, disorganized, and has no distinctive purpose. It's a gimmick. It's eye candy. It's a toy. Nothing more. If you completely removed logi from the game it would still be a bad ship.

+1

The proposed Nestor does lots of stuff sorta OK but nothing exceptionally well and will not even do all those things at the same time.

Basically the mods needed to take advantage on one bonus invariably seem to nerf one of the other bonuses by preventing you fitting for that

NOW ... if the design did two or three things REALLY well but you had to deploy a mobile depot to swap between functions, that may be attractive. As it stands there is nothing about it to justify that LP cost.

I suspect it will still sell well, but that is more a sign of player cravings for the new and shiny rather than any vindication the ship is actually useful.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1895 - 2014-01-10 00:08:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Vladimir Norkoff wrote:

Not alot of reason to use this in PvP. A Logi will be much cheaper, more survivable (sig/speed/range), and about on par for skills needed (yes they are op'd, but they are still a fact of the game). Sure the Nestor has massive base rep power, but it's still just a T1 BS which is so damn fat and slow that a Dread could probably hit it reliably. Why would I ever use a Nestor?

And for PvE it still doesn't make much sense. For missions, a Domi does the same job but better. And for exploration a T3/Stratios is faster, more maneuverable, covert cloaks, and is harder to scan out. So again, why use a Nestor?

You're not alone. And this isn't intended as an outright criticism, either. Sure, the art is "subjective" - but there are so many dogs in EVE that need some TLC that I think it's time to call it a day on offering aesthetic suggestions for improvement.

This is supposed to be an exploration ship, so let's summarize what it does well - and what it could do even better.
• Lasers/drones … ± Standard SoE theme, so no objections
• Probe/scanning … ± Not my particular thing, but since all the other SoE ships have it...
• Faster warp speed … +1 Ties-in nicely with the exploration theme (now all we need is a -50% CPU reduction penalty for hyperspace rigs and this thing will be rockin')
• Logistics … -2 For all the reasons above (more effective and cheaper alternatives, so just nix it)

The Nestor has lower mass, so what about a faster align time to augment the warp capabilities? That rescue shuttle still intrigues me; wouldn't it be cool if it could be launched? When deployed, it would auto-block any warp disruption attempts against friendly pods within a 10km radius...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

I am disposable
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1896 - 2014-01-10 00:13:49 UTC
Savira Terrant wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

This.

That.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1897 - 2014-01-10 00:15:51 UTC
I am disposable wrote:
That.

And the other thing...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Roy Alleyne
Dark Knowledge.
#1898 - 2014-01-10 00:27:54 UTC
Senarian Tyme wrote:

If its suposed to be for exploration, then it needs a 15 virus str to justify its use vs any other hacking ship, and it also really should have a covert ops capability. All the remote repping and gun bonuses could then be removed.

If it is intended for exploration SUPPORT (instead of direct exploration), then its scanner/hacking gun bonuses can be removed. It should however be given a SMA capable of holding at least a single frigate. Its repping bonuses should also be set for cycle speed, reduced cap use and range instead of power. Also the ability to jump directly to a covert cyno would make it viable for supporting fleets in 0.0 and LS, but have no impact on WH ops. The increased velocity while cloaked is also nice, but a elimination of targeting resolution penaly would likely be desireable as well esp if expected to be repping.

Covert ops and 15 virus strength wouldn't make the Nestor viable for solo work. Exploration support is the role that most of us on the thread are trying to push it for and a SMA would be a perfect addition though I would say the smallest you would want to go is a single cruiser. You are right that in this role that the virus bonus and probe bonus are unnecessary though I disagree with your other changes. A small SMA and a covert velocity bonus would be perfect for all kinds of exploration support ops without Rise having to rebalance the ship for a JD. The resolution penalty is easily countered by eccm modules
Dehval
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#1899 - 2014-01-10 05:46:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Dehval
Vladimir Norkoff wrote:

It'd be good in the alliance tournament, assuming the rules change/don't change to accommodate it.

Do an armor tinker tank, but replace the Legion with the Nestor. You'll get much more repping power (50% bonused medium reps vs large), larger tank, while providing 450 dps via drones with an exceptional amount of mids for ECCM, etc.. You could even make it your flagship as well with it being a logistics battleship, although the flagship really doesn't add much to drone assist teams. You'd get to use two deadspace reppers though, so that's nice.

Outside of that very structured form of small gang warfare the Nestor looks to be a terrible waste of money that will only be a liability on the battlefield.
Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#1900 - 2014-01-10 08:53:31 UTC
Good call! It's got that going for it then.....