These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Sisters of EVE Battleship

First post First post First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2161 - 2014-01-27 05:00:05 UTC
I'm sure if it proves to be unpopular it'll get an overhaul sooner as opposed to later.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2162 - 2014-01-27 10:43:25 UTC
I tried the Nestor again on sisi last night in a 3- man gang. 2 Nestors and a glia for tackling (just a guy we met up with).

Conclusion: in the unnatural environment of sisi, against ill disciplined groups of individuals, the pair was successful. Remote reps were sufficiently strong to allow us to take down a series of singular targets one by one.

Against a unified force I am convinced that it will lack sufficient mobility and damage projection. It is outperformed by less expensive ships. I cannot see it becoming part of a pvp fleet, even though I'd like to see it happen.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#2163 - 2014-01-27 10:56:18 UTC
So three ships could take down one? Not a ringing endorsement for it really.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2164 - 2014-01-27 11:25:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
So three ships could take down one? Not a ringing endorsement for it really.

I couldn't agree more.

A pvp marauder tanks better and does more dps. A well-flown pirate BS pair would have utterly murdered us.

A couple of T1 cruisers supported by some T1 logi would have eventually killed us.

I agree with the premise that incremental performance gains should have geometric price tags, but the Nestor goes too far with that idea.

It's worth around 500m to me. About the same as a rattlesnake.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Cheng Musana
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2165 - 2014-01-27 13:51:36 UTC
The ship iteself should get more usefull bonuses. At the moment this thing is just way to overpriced and the incoming nerf to omnis will aswell influence the performance of sentry drones. So we have lasers which doesnt get bonused in terms of damage and the damage application of sentrys is about to get hit hard. This thing will follow into the footsteps of the stratios. Shiny, overpriced and a rare sight to see it undocked. And for large fleet fights and PVP in general its just way too expensive. Heck i bet a normal carrier would be cheaper to buy and performs better then the nestor.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2166 - 2014-01-27 14:19:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
Cheng Musana wrote:
The ship iteself should get more usefull bonuses. At the moment this thing is just way to overpriced and the incoming nerf to omnis will aswell influence the performance of sentry drones. So we have lasers which doesnt get bonused in terms of damage and the damage application of sentrys is about to get hit hard. This thing will follow into the footsteps of the stratios. Shiny, overpriced and a rare sight to see it undocked. And for large fleet fights and PVP in general its just way too expensive. Heck i bet a normal carrier would be cheaper to buy and performs better then the nestor.

The stratios makes a good forward scout and initial tackle in W-space. Its tank is strong enough to survive until your fleet arrives.

No, you won't see fleets of them but you'll often find me in one. Same goes for the astero actually - it can survive against most larger targets in single armour rep + AB configuration.

I finally lost my first one it to a fleet of 9 last night after foolishly engaging a revenge bait navy augoror :-)

Killboard Entry

Nestor is not at all like them. It's overpriced garbage.

Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#2167 - 2014-01-27 16:20:05 UTC
Cheng Musana wrote:

You must live in some sort of mirror-universe. I see those ******* Stratios all the time. Hell, I even lost one myself by accidentally colliding with a gate camp in the Catch-warzone.

(And just a few days later I met another Stratios while exploring on the other side of the map. It's the cheap alternative to T3-ships, it seems.)
Rab See
Stellar Dynamics
#2168 - 2014-01-27 16:49:18 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
I'm sure if it proves to be unpopular it'll get an overhaul sooner as opposed to later.

Just like the Tempest ....
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#2169 - 2014-01-27 16:55:24 UTC
I've recently been testing it with a bunch of mates, flying two Nestors and two geddons with an Eos (3link-standard ongridbooster).
The Nestors repoutput is pretty acceptable, but the range isn't a problem to start with given the starting conditions (squadwarp, close to 0). I can imagine that range being a gamechanger after decloaking on a gate.

Overall, the berserker/scorch-dps is agreeable, running it singleplated with MWD/MJD, point+web+eccm+heavy CB could make it a very ganky ship in those small gangs, I could easily imagine running two Nestors, a Geddon, an Eos and a Loki as a wormhole-pvp-gang.

Overall, I believe the Nestor to go into a contest with the paladin for best BS-Logichoice, both having merits and flaws seperating them pretty damn well.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2170 - 2014-01-27 18:55:25 UTC
Rab See wrote:
Just like the Tempest ....

Good point.

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#2171 - 2014-01-27 21:15:28 UTC
Quote:
Rather than being able to cloak, the Nestor is bonused for remote repair amount and range, making it the most potent sub-cap logistic ship in EVE.

It is difficult to accept that this is even remotely true.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2172 - 2014-01-27 23:09:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
The Astero and Stratios are popular simply because they offer entry-level covert ops cloaking ability. Period. They offer a low-cost SP equivalent to covert ops and strategic cruisers at a slight price premium. This is the only reason the ~$100m and ~$350m price tags are even remotely justified.

The Nestor offers absolutely nothing to justify the outrageous $2b cost - even if it offered a Covert Ops cloak. You could knock the price down by half and players still aren't going to touch it. This ship is DOA, and I still can't believe they let CCP Rise have a hand in this after the RLML fiasco…

The only way to ensure this ship gets overhauled is to boycott it (which shouldn't be hard considering the price).

Marcus Gideon
Triglavian Assembly
#2173 - 2014-01-28 05:19:03 UTC
Forgive me if this has been discussed already... 110 pages is a lot to read through, after all.

Astero and Stratios fluff wrote:

And lastly, an ingenious but cryptic transfer in part of the warp core functionality to an outlying cylindrical structure means the (ship) is able to run certain higher-level cloaking functions with very little technical cost, and minimal interference from warp. The Sisters of EVE have refused to comment on this technology, other than to recommend it not be tampered with.

So why does this ship still bear the distinctive "outlying cylindrical structure", which some might mistake for a ripoff from Star Wars, if it's not going to be able to use a CovOps cloak? Isn't that the patent pending technology that SOE is bragging about in the fluff text?

Oh... it's because it's a Battleship, huh? And there aren't any Battleships that are able to use a CovOps cloak. Boy, it should we be a shame if there were some Battleships that could use a CovOps cloak, huh? That would almost make them... useful.

In case the sarcasm was lost on my audience... the Black Ops is the red-headed stepchild of the T2 CovOps family, the only one left out. Even the Bombers were inducted after a time. Now you've created a new line of SOE ships sporting lasers, drones, and CovOps cloaks... except for Uncle Larry with the goofy eye.
Jean-Paul Hutchinson
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#2174 - 2014-01-28 08:29:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Jean-Paul Hutchinson
Lloyd Roses wrote:
I've recently been testing it with a bunch of mates, flying two Nestors and two geddons with an Eos (3link-standard ongridbooster).
The Nestors repoutput is pretty acceptable, but the range isn't a problem to start with given the starting conditions (squadwarp, close to 0). I can imagine that range being a gamechanger after decloaking on a gate.

Overall, the berserker/scorch-dps is agreeable, running it singleplated with MWD/MJD, point+web+eccm+heavy CB could make it a very ganky ship in those small gangs, I could easily imagine running two Nestors, a Geddon, an Eos and a Loki as a wormhole-pvp-gang.

Overall, I believe the Nestor to go into a contest with the paladin for best BS-Logichoice, both having merits and flaws seperating them pretty damn well.

You seem to forget 1 thing about the ship. The cost of this ship after fitting this is going to cost between 2-.2.5 bil to fit if this ship is spotted in a wormhole expect it to be the first thing targeted.
Gosti Kahanid
Red Sky Morning
The Amarr Militia.
#2175 - 2014-01-28 10:00:35 UTC
I still think, with the Amarr-Resistance-Bonus, you should transfer one Mid to low or change the Amarr-Bonus so you can fit any tank without losing a Bonus.

And please change the RR-Bonus to Armor AND Shield, so it becomes more extensive to justify it´s price
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2176 - 2014-01-28 10:26:03 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
The Astero and Stratios are popular simply because they offer entry-level covert ops cloaking ability. Period. They offer a low-cost SP equivalent to covert ops and strategic cruisers at a slight price premium. This is the only reason the ~$100m and ~$350m price tags are even remotely justified.

The Nestor offers absolutely nothing to justify the outrageous $2b cost - even if it offered a Covert Ops cloak. You could knock the price down by half and players still aren't going to touch it. This ship is DOA, and I still can't believe they let CCP Rise have a hand in this after the RLML fiasco…

The only way to ensure this ship gets overhauled is to boycott it (which shouldn't be hard considering the price).

I think you have a point, but you're missing something extremely valuable about the astero and stratios.

In the hands of a player with good skills, both these ships come close to being 'best in class' as taking initial tackle from being cloaked.

The astero with a 1mn afterburner is fast, small and insanely strong. You can buffer it to 10000ehp or self rep it for a 300dps perms-rep while it orbits its victim at 1000m/s with dual tackle (scram/web or scram/scram). That means it easily tanks a couple of ratting T3s you caught on the hop until the cavalry arrives.

The stratios can do something that until previously, only a T3 could. It can decloak, get into a tight orbit at 600m/s and self repair at close to 900dps (with a gang link) while dealing out 500dps plus a medium neut. It's an extremely effective and strong covert tackler. You can even dual-prop it. If you don't like self-reapair it is still effective when plated up to 80,000ehp before fleet boosts.

These ships have a clear and effective role in PVP. In many ways the stratios performs better than a T3 at target discovery and tackle since it does not need to give away DPS in order to get a covert ops ability. It has two minor downsides: no combat probes in combat fit (but most of your targets are at a signature anyway) and 20 second delay to re-cloak so you have to time your gate/wormhole jumps accordingly.

None of this can be said for the Nestor.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2177 - 2014-01-28 15:08:10 UTC
Starting bids for the Nestor… $4.5-billion. Roll

McBorsk
Multispace Technologies Inc
#2178 - 2014-01-28 15:52:09 UTC  |  Edited by: McBorsk
Yes. I need this in my hangar. For spinning purposes.

2 things.

Needs free high slots for drone links and the calibration is a little "light". What is the point of having a turret bonus when most users will need those slots for remote reppers, drone links, probe launcher... etc.
8 highs please.

Calibration should be at 400. I'd like to put t2 rigs on my loot pinata.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#2179 - 2014-01-28 17:30:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Batelle
5/5 mid/low layout is **** on the stratios
6/6 is **** on the nestor.

These ships are armor tankers that have unimpressive top-end dps that is compounded by a lack of lowslots for damage mods and a lack of drone projection bonuses. Now that the relative utility of omnis is going down too, the overabundance of midslots is a hindreance.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2180 - 2014-01-28 17:39:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
McBorsk wrote:
Calibration should be at 400. I'd like to put t2 rigs on my loot pinata.

Pirate ships all have 350.

Batelle wrote:
5/5 mid/low layout is **** on the stratios
6/6 is **** on the nestor.

These ships are armor tankers that have unimpressive top-end dps that is compounded by a lack of lowslots for damage mods and a lack of drone projection bonuses. Now that the relative utility of omnis is going down too, the overabundance of midslots is a hindreance.

Perhaps, but the mids are there to augment the exploration bonuses.