These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Sisters of EVE Battleship

First post First post First post
Author
Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2021 - 2014-01-14 20:01:06 UTC
PopeUrban wrote:
Simple idea:

What if we left its current middle of the road bonuses, and gave it its own module:

Remote Computation Subprocessor (high)

This module adds +10 to targeted ships virus strength.
This module reduces targeted ships probe scanning times by 50%

Tada. Exploration support ship with some teeth. Give it a nice hefty range bonus so that it's operational at around 100km to cover a whole site's worth of buddies from the middle, and you've got a sensible centerpiece of your exploration fleet.

Haha, I like this idea of adding virus strength remotely. Problem would be that there is no content hard enough to crack really.. or are ghostsites that hard?

Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#2022 - 2014-01-14 20:19:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Steph Livingston
I saw a post yesterday where someone casually suggested the Nestor be a BC instead of a BS, and I don't hate the idea.

It seems like CCP is very hesitant on giving a Covert Ops cloak to a BS, at least not before doing a balance pass on the Black Ops BS. It's a reasonable point, if the Nestor had one at BS level it would quickly make many of the Black Ops ships obsolete. If the Nestor was dropped down a weight class, and given the Covert Ops cloak like the other SoE ships, it would have a fairly unique role.

On one hand, it wouldn't carry the firepower of the other pirate fraction top tier ships, but on the other hand it would outgun any other covert ops vessel. If it received the same set of role/training bonuses as the rest of the SoE line, it would be a powerful addition to stealth operations, but still get outgunned by BS, have the speed and maneuverability to hack, although not as well as smaller vessels, and add a little variety to the BC lineup.

I haven't see anything that said the Nestor HAS to be a BS, I think it's just to provide a little balance to the Pirate LP options. This way, the Nestor doesn't replace the Black Ops, and gets a unique role in the field.

**EDIT** I'm assuming it would lose the RR bonuses, to gain the CovertOps.
Steph Livingston
Neko's Blanket
#2023 - 2014-01-14 20:37:31 UTC
Savira Terrant wrote:
PopeUrban wrote:
Simple idea:

What if we left its current middle of the road bonuses, and gave it its own module:

Remote Computation Subprocessor (high)

This module adds +10 to targeted ships virus strength.
This module reduces targeted ships probe scanning times by 50%

Tada. Exploration support ship with some teeth. Give it a nice hefty range bonus so that it's operational at around 100km to cover a whole site's worth of buddies from the middle, and you've got a sensible centerpiece of your exploration fleet.

Haha, I like this idea of adding virus strength remotely. Problem would be that there is no content hard enough to crack really.. or are ghostsites that hard?

If we're talking alternatives... I know there's no precedent for this (there wasn't one for the RR either), but what about a bonus to fitting equip gang warfare links, but not one to effectiveness? The current options for leadership are either in the BC or capitals weight classes, it might be nice to have the option at the BS level for small gangs. Not the best option, but it would make the Nestor stand out from the pack a little.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2024 - 2014-01-14 21:07:50 UTC
I think the best alternative is to postpone it...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2025 - 2014-01-14 21:24:50 UTC
The SOE battle ship was never needed the frigate and cruiser were fine on there own, but people complained that they wanted a SOE battleship so now we have a ship that feels out of place and has no definite role.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

I am disposable
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2026 - 2014-01-14 22:51:16 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
The SOE battle ship was never needed the frigate and cruiser were fine on there own, but people complained that they wanted a SOE battleship so now we have a ship that feels out of place and has no definite role.

I think CCP's lack of imagination and vision is more to blame than players who simply wanted a full set like other factions.
GordonO
BURN EDEN
#2027 - 2014-01-14 23:02:28 UTC
I am disposable wrote:

I think CCP's lack of imagination and vision is more to blame than players who simply wanted a full set like other factions.

Well there isn't a pirate faction BS that gets bonus's to missiles.. so not a full set in that neck of the woods.. maybe they should have given the nestor missile bonus's instead.. we have enough drone boats about..

... What next ??

ASadOldGit
Doomheim
#2028 - 2014-01-14 23:48:16 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. There's been a few threads about battleships being dead or useless over the last few months, and the marauders threadnaught was probably the biggest I've ever seen, and unless CCP learnt from that thread, the Black Ops thread is going to be even bigger.

Until they've properly defined the existing BS roles, it's just too early to introduce a new battleship. Get that Blops balance pass done first. As others are suggesting, I'm leaning more towards making it a BC, at the moment.

This signature intentionally left blank for you to fill in at your leisure.

Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2029 - 2014-01-15 02:01:31 UTC
ASadOldGit wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. There's been a few threads about battleships being dead or useless over the last few months, and the marauders threadnaught was probably the biggest I've ever seen, and unless CCP learnt from that thread, the Black Ops thread is going to be even bigger.

Until they've properly defined the existing BS roles, it's just too early to introduce a new battleship. Get that Blops balance pass done first. As others are suggesting, I'm leaning more towards making it a BC, at the moment.

What was there to be learned from? 70% of it was bs and namecalling.

Fortorn Lonshanks
Adeptus Incursio
#2030 - 2014-01-15 03:18:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Fortorn Lonshanks
Divi Filus wrote:

And if you’re really concerned about the amount of DPS coming through covert bridges (I’m looking at you, Rise), just deny it the ability to take a covert bridge. It’s not like that’s an inherent feature of the covert cloak.

I fully and completely support this idea.

Add the cov cloak, disallow covert bridging.

While you're at it, remove turrent modifier, add agility boost or something.

Again, stealthy support/explo vessels. Thats what you said SoE ships are.

Also, don't give blops cov cloak. Covertly warping, moving, jumping is far too powerful a method of rendering all defenses mute except POS shields.

And we all know how much we like hiding inside POS shields.
Dehval
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#2031 - 2014-01-15 07:44:38 UTC
Savira Terrant wrote:

Ghost sites themselves are very easy.

It's just the timelimit and the explosion at the end that gives it any sort of difficulty.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2032 - 2014-01-15 17:49:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
I don't see a lot of Nestors materializing. Aside from the fact that the $2-billion price tag is a huge impediment, those that do undock are going to find themselves the target of Tornado gank gangs wherever they go (even more so than Marauders). Plus they can't be insured, so you're basically rolling the dice on a $2 billion+ ISK investment every time you jump. Any T1 ship that can do the same job will cost a fraction of the cost for minimal risk.

Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2033 - 2014-01-15 18:04:03 UTC
I am disposable wrote:

Eh, they shot for a power level equivalent to the other pirate battleships and they hit that mark pretty well. Nobody is going to use it because of the 2.5 billion ISK price tag, but if it cost the same as a Rattlesnake it would get used a lot. It's not a bad ship, and the logistic bonus is pretty unique, it's just too expensive.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2034 - 2014-01-15 18:08:28 UTC
Xequecal wrote:
Eh, they shot for a power level equivalent to the other pirate battleships and they hit that mark pretty well.

Only if you exclude cost, so no - they didn't. Why would you take a Nestor over something like a Rattlesnake or Nightmare?

Boudacca Sangrere
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2035 - 2014-01-15 22:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Boudacca Sangrere
I think the consensus is, in its current form very few will actually use the nestor. Based on price alone, the power curve would need to be somewhere in the range of Marauders... which we will not see (unfortunately). It COULD be the drone Marauder (aka mini carrier) though.

This would accomplish two things, people would train up Amar and Gal BS, some sort of pre-carrier skill set should also be needed (adds more skill training time), and people who ARE going down this direction will want to eventually fly a full fledged carrier anyway (which results in more people training for it and then moving to low / null / WH space). Both (the training and the moving to lower sec space) will benefit the overall makeup of the game. Less high sec bears, more moving to low/null/WH, I'd say win-win! So how about it CCP?

B.

Flying is not so much an art, but the trick to throw yourself at the ground and - miss. (Hitchhikers guide through the Galaxy)
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2036 - 2014-01-16 00:10:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
Xequecal wrote:
Eh, they shot for a power level equivalent to the other pirate battleships and they hit that mark pretty well.

Only if you exclude cost, so no - they didn't. Why would you take a Nestor over something like a Rattlesnake or Nightmare?

Though the Rattler is overly cheap and has been since it's key PvE role has been taken over by the T1 Domi. (the Rattlers are currently so cheap I am considering buying 10 or 20 on the assumption they are likely to improve and go back up in price after the next balance)

To be fair the current Nestor stats are sort of in line with the 1.0 bill plus pirate ships .. not a 400 mill rattler. it just does not seem to be worth the 2 to 3 billion the LP costs are pointing towards.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#2037 - 2014-01-16 01:43:12 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Though the Rattler is overly cheap and has been since it's key PvE role has been taken over by the T1 Domi. (the Rattlers are currently so cheap I am considering buying 10 or 20 on the assumption they are likely to improve and go back up in price after the next balance)

To be fair the current Nestor stats are sort of in line with the 1.0 bill plus pirate ships .. not a 400 mill rattler. it just does not seem to be worth the 2 to 3 billion the LP costs are pointing towards.

Except there currently aren't any $1-billion+ ISK Pirate ships, which just makes the Nestor even more outrageous. 5 Rattlers or 1 Nestor... Hmmmm...

Erien Rand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2038 - 2014-01-16 06:47:13 UTC
Change the virus strength and probe bonus to an "explosion suppression bonus" within a certain radius of the ship. Less damage caused by ghost site explosions with an added bonus of bomb resistance(not immunity)in the same radius figure 8k like its reppers . Maybe it would have to be a module: can fit explosion suppression unit.
Janeway84
Insane's Asylum
#2039 - 2014-01-16 11:27:52 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
^ I like that senario. Maybe salvaging bonuses should should be added in place of the turret bonuses to make a nomadic Nestor fleet more viable... And a covert cloak of course Blink

This +1 as many times as i could Big smile

I think cov ops bs wouldnt be as op as pepple are afraid of, since they are so big they would be alot easier to get decloaked by smaller ships Smile
Scuzzy Logic
Space Spuds
#2040 - 2014-01-16 16:42:08 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:

Or to scrap the idea altogether. This and the TP nerf are dumbass moves on CCP's part.