These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Rubicon 1.1] Sisters of EVE Battleship

First post First post First post
Author
Roy Alleyne
Dark Knowledge.
#1981 - 2014-01-13 20:34:03 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:

I completely agree that it needs covops cloak. Rise's argument that this should only be possible on T2 ships is invalidated by the existence of the astero and stratios.

Rise did not say that only T2 hulls should have a covops, he said that they should have them FIRST. Have you forgotten that not a single BS hull has the ability to equip a covops or maybe you just missed it when Rise said that CCP isn't keen on ever giving a BS the ability to equip one?
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1982 - 2014-01-13 20:40:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Divi Filus
CCP Rise wrote:
[Covert cloak] is an extremely powerful capability and it's possible that it should stay off limits for battleships completely. On top of that, if there was going to be a covert battleship, black ops is where we need to start. We will be looking at them for a balance pass eventually, they are one of the remaining classes that haven't gotten their tiericide pass yet, and we can approach this topic when that happens.

Quoted for reference.

EDIT: I still think that a significant sensor recalibration penalty would go a long way towards offsetting balance concerns with a covert-capable battleship.
HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
United Federation of Conifers
#1983 - 2014-01-13 21:09:36 UTC
I decided to use a Nestor for PvE to see what would happen, it's magical but need more cap.
Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#1984 - 2014-01-13 21:26:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Quinn Corvez
Is it better at PVE than the existing battleships in eve? No? Then the last thig we need is another dps platform design for level 4 mission farming.

I'm just going to come out and say it, only an idiot would design a exploration ship without either a cloak or some kind of navigational bonuse.
ASadOldGit
Doomheim
#1985 - 2014-01-13 21:41:38 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
Is it better at PVE than the existing battleships in eve? No? Then the last thig we need is another dps platform design for level 4 mission farming.

As a casual player that only runs up to 5 L4s a week, I'd rather CCP concentrate on nerfing the farming techniques rather than the tools I use - not that I'd ever spend 2bil on a ship to do L4s! (i.e. if you kill an NPC, he stays dead - no miraculous revival after downtime)

This signature intentionally left blank for you to fill in at your leisure.

HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
#1986 - 2014-01-13 21:42:16 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:

I'm just going to come out and say it, only an idiot would design a exploration ship without either a cloak or some kind of navigational bonuse.
I went to null for sites, it's tanker than a hyperion, has the output of a domi, can do its own scaning, and is built to work in small teams.

If it had a cloak it would be un unstoppable monster, if it has a spotter it can go anywhere, and it does have navigation bonuses: 2.5 au warp and the align of a shield BC. It's the only battleship I've used that's light enough to do the MWD cloak trick.
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1987 - 2014-01-13 21:53:17 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:

This is what I've been saying: it needs something that helps it get around in unfriendly skies. The low mass was clearly intended to be that bonus, but a) as a travel bonus it only benefits wormholers (not that they don’t need some love) and b) even the wormholers have said that it’s not enough to make the ship attractive compared to T3s, etc. The warp speed bonus is nice to have but is also not enough to make it stand out. It needs something—a jump drive, a covops, a cloaked speed bonus, core stability bonus, something—to incentivize the Nestor versus the wide varierty of well performing and substantially cheaper options currently available.
Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#1988 - 2014-01-13 21:53:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Quinn Corvez
HiddenPorpoise wrote:
Quinn Corvez wrote:

I went to null for sites, it's tanker than a hyperion, has the output of a domi, can do its own scaning, and is built to work in small teams.

If it had a cloak it would be un unstoppable monster, if it has a spotter it can go anywhere, and it does have navigation bonuses: 2.5 au warp and the align of a shield BC. It's the only battleship I've used that's light enough to do the MWD cloak trick.

The ship simply isn't needed. Most BS are capable of handling any site the Nestor can and when you need something better, we have the brand new bastion enabled marauders to aim for.

2.5 AU warp speed ain't worth ****! And if you have a spotter to check gate camps for you, that spotter could also be in a covert ops that can scan and run data/relic sites, making the ship and it's bonuses even more pointless.

A cloak does not make a ship an "unstoppable monster". A BS with a cloak will be far easier to catch than the smaller hulls that already have a cloak.
Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#1989 - 2014-01-13 22:01:40 UTC
Divi Filus, a lot of people are saying that but CCP won't listen.

They should give it a covert cloak and remove the gun slots or reduce pg so a big tank and a full rack of turrets are not possible IMO.
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1990 - 2014-01-13 22:12:00 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
Divi Filus, a lot of people are saying that but CCP won't listen.

They should give it a covert cloak and remove the gun slots or reduce pg so a big tank and a full rack of turrets are not possible IMO.

If you increased the sensor recalibration time to the 20-30s range I don't think removing the guns would be necessary, but that's me.
Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#1991 - 2014-01-13 22:24:49 UTC
I think the fear of giving a BS a cloak is that it will do too much dps and have too big a tank. Dropping the guns solves that issue while making it a viable exploration ship and a new type of cloaky logi.

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#1992 - 2014-01-13 22:35:32 UTC
A cloak would make this ship overpowered. Themepark carebears are only happy with power creep, the more they cry, the better CCP is doing it's job.

The Tears Must Flow

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1993 - 2014-01-13 22:35:50 UTC
Quinn Corvez wrote:
I think the fear of giving a BS a cloak is that it will do too much dps and have too big a tank. Dropping the guns solves that issue while making it a viable exploration ship and a new type of cloaky logi.

Tank and gank mean nothing unless you can bring them to bear. The big advantage of a cloak in combat is being able to drop in on your target at the time and place of your choice; forcing you to wait half a minute or more before you can begin locking targets would, I think, largely neutralize that advantage, while keeping its travel benefits.
Quinn Corvez
Perkone
Caldari State
#1994 - 2014-01-13 22:45:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Quinn Corvez
I live in wormhole space and know all about cloaks my friend :)

The dps will always be an issue because you can simply get a friend in a smaller ship to point a target, and have the Nestor melt it when it gets a lock.

I agree that if the Nestor got a cloak it would be a good idea to give it a longer recalibration time that a cruiser. Between 8 and 10 seconds would do it.
HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
#1995 - 2014-01-13 22:52:26 UTC
If you give it a cloak it literally is a covert-ops logi and covert-ops battleship at the same time, neither of those things has been done for a variety of reasons and doing them at the same time would be broken more than I can state.

Use the ship on the test server, then complain.
Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1996 - 2014-01-13 23:10:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Divi Filus
Quinn Corvez wrote:
I live in wormhole space and know all about cloaks my friend :)

The dps will always be an issue because you can simply get a friend in a smaller ship to point a target, and have the Nestor melt it when it gets a lock.

I agree that if the Nestor got a cloak it would be a good idea to give it a longer recalibration time that a cruiser. Between 8 and 10 seconds would do it.

Granted—but how is that different from having a small ship (say an Astero or other covops) point a target, and then having a battleship warp in from some nearby off-grid location? In that scenario, you’re probably applying battleship DPS faster than a recalibration-penalized Nestor would. You could even have the off-grid BS sit with a prototype cloak until the target is pointed. EDIT: though in that case you're probably getting about the same time-to-DPS-application; forgot about the scan res penalty.

HiddenPorpoise wrote:
If you give it a cloak it literally is a covert-ops logi and covert-ops battleship at the same time, neither of those things has been done for a variety of reasons and doing them at the same time would be broken more than I can state.

Oh, the test server! Why have I not thought to check the test server! What a fool I’ve been! Roll

I have been and am continuing to use the ship on the test server, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who has done so and still is dissatisfied. Its cap life is horrendous, and its bonuses are insufficient to incentivize using it to explore instead of cheaper and better-performing battleships or strat cruisers.
GordonO
BURN EDEN
#1997 - 2014-01-13 23:18:01 UTC
Haven't read all 100 pages of this thread.. but curious why give us a ship that can be armor or shield tanked but only give one option\bonus to its remote repair capabilities...

... What next ??

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#1998 - 2014-01-13 23:23:55 UTC
HiddenPorpoise wrote:

Look, I’m not saying it needs a covert cloak. I’m saying it needs something that amounts to a buff to Nestor’s ability to move around in hostile space. The other SoE ships have this in the form of the covert cloak. The Nestor, in theory, has that in the low mass and the high(er) warp speed, but neither are particularly helpful: the low mass doesn’t make up for the fact that strat cruisers (with or without logi support) can fill the same roles as the Nestor while costing much less in terms of mass; the warp speed makes traveling somewhat less time consuming but will not help you evade or outrun any real pursuit in the slightest. So, in my opinion, it needs something else. That could mean a sufficiently penalized covert cloak, or any of half a dozen other options that have been thrown around in this thread (a number of which I mentioned on this very page).
Savira Terrant
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1999 - 2014-01-13 23:48:16 UTC
Please guys. Why do you start asking for a covert cloak and the RR bonuses? Just drop RR already and make this ship usable to support exploration. And yes if that means it will end up as a 2 billion (or whatever) non plus ultra anom and DED runner (which does not nessesarily mean most DPS), so be it.

Divi Filus
New Xenocracy
#2000 - 2014-01-13 23:56:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Divi Filus
Who's asking for a covops on top of RR? If getting a decent travel bonus means losing the logi side, so be it.