These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Open Letter to the Aidonis Foundation Directorate

First post
Author
Veikitamo Gesakaarin
Yequn Quiet Pills
#21 - 2013-12-04 06:55:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Veikitamo Gesakaarin
All too often in these dark and perilous days it is all too easy to forget those who strive not towards ignorance, but understanding; not towards fear, but courage; not towards conflict, but accord between all mankind. To forget such men and women, whose strength of conviction, moral fortitude, and ethical virtue drive them towards the pursuit of peace is to forget the best that humanity can accomplish. That is what the Aidonis prize has always sought to remind for me: the best we as humanity can accomplish.

I can thus say only that your goal is a laudable one, Mr. Biko, and it is an endeavour I support wholeheartedly.

Kurilaivonen|Concern

Cuci Cairi
#22 - 2013-12-04 15:26:07 UTC
Ollie Rundle wrote:

You're making a slippery slope argument then.

The Aidonis awards are not decided on via popular vote or publicity-based functions. The outcome is not based on who features more often in the lead-in celebrity stories of tabloid media operators. They are decided on merit by the Foundation itself and they often go to men and women that confound the popular opinion on who should receive them. They have been publically announced several times in the past and at no point did the outcome you note as a risk eventuate.

As such there seems to be little chance of it descending into the popularity contest you fear it will. These are some of the factors the slippery slope aspect of your position ignores, some of the factors which would almost certainly prevent the smooth slide from cause A to effect B.

Is it a risk? Yes, but one so negligible as to be insignificant. It is not a guaranteed result, it is not even a likely result.

Certainly it is not insignificant when you commonly hear people claiming the Foundation has lost any honor or value due to their past choices. Do you not think this will affect their future decisions in an attempt to stay relevant or respectable? And this is all assuming that the performers of charity or aid are actually worthy of this kind of publicity.
Ollie Rundle
#23 - 2013-12-05 07:14:29 UTC
Ollie Rundle wrote:

The Aidonis awards are not decided on via popular vote or publicity-based functions. The outcome is not based on who features more often in the lead-in celebrity stories of tabloid media operators. They are decided on merit by the Foundation itself and they often go to men and women that confound the popular opinion on who should receive them. They have been publically announced several times in the past and at no point did the outcome you note as a risk eventuate.

Cuci Cairi wrote:
Certainly it is not insignificant when you commonly hear people claiming the Foundation has lost any honor or value due to their past choices. Do you not think this will affect their future decisions in an attempt to stay relevant or respectable?

I have highlighted those parts of my previous post that are most relevant to your query. From where I stand, your argument seems to hinge on the insignificantly small risk that a body which has never run with popular opinion will suddenly decide it is of utmost importance to their process.

Korsavius
Revenent Defence Corperation
#24 - 2013-12-05 07:36:42 UTC
Veikitamo Gesakaarin wrote:
All too often in these dark and perilous days it is all too easy to forget those who strive not towards ignorance, but understanding; not towards fear, but courage; not towards conflict, but accord between all mankind. To forget such men and women, whose strength of conviction, moral fortitude, and ethical virtue drive them towards the pursuit of peace is to forget the best that humanity can accomplish. That is what the Aidonis prize has always sought to remind for me: the best we as humanity can accomplish.

I can thus say only that your goal is a laudable one, Mr. Biko, and it is an endeavour I support wholeheartedly.

Well spoken, Gesakaarin-haani. Sentiments I share as well.

Cold Wind's Blade || Follow the I-RED Newsfeed & visit the I-RED GalNet site!

Previous page12