These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Down Under Bombshell: No Sov overhaul until at least Winter 2014

First post First post First post
Author
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#121 - 2013-12-02 11:20:15 UTC
I'm gonna get burned for this. On the other hand, I'm already getting swamped and primaried 24/7 ingame so...

IN MY OPINION:

Its people. And when I say people, I mean players who get on their knies and open their mouths whenever Goonswarm jumps into system.

I dont blame Goonswarm. They didnt start with dominating 2/3 of EVE. I've seen them fight themselves up to the top of the foodchain. Kudos for that.

I dont think CCP will have an ingame answer that will make people grow a pair any time soon.
Deunan Tenephais
#122 - 2013-12-02 11:51:30 UTC
My take on this topic is that of an outsider, so even if I can throw guesses I'm pretty sure I don't have a clear vision of what problems plague NSec.
Could someone try to explain them in a clear way so people like me can better understand these problems ?
Or at the very least, pinpoint toward another topic already doing so.
Signal11th
#123 - 2013-12-02 11:59:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Signal11th
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
My take on this topic is that of an outsider, so even if I can throw guesses I'm pretty sure I don't have a clear vision of what problems plague NSec.
Could someone try to explain them in a clear way so people like me can better understand these problems ?

Haven't got a clue, 0.0 seems to be the same to me that it was years ago, person with the biggest stick usually wins.
Timers are crappy because it gives the big boys a day or so to get the big fleet formed up just in case some one was stupid enough to try and take it. Add to that titan bridging/cyno's etc and you can have 1000 players across the other side of the map within an hour.

Basically 0.0 is ****** will always be ****** and nobody including CCP have got the faintest idea of how to fix it so you get the eternal merry go round of people complaining about 0.0 and other people recommending "this" way of fixing it and other people saying it's crap etc.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#124 - 2013-12-02 12:29:14 UTC
Abolish null sec. Make it all NPC low sec. Claim systems by de facto. Problem solved.
Deunan Tenephais
#125 - 2013-12-02 12:48:57 UTC
Signal11th wrote:
Haven't got a clue, 0.0 seems to be the same to me that it was years ago, person with the biggest stick usually wins.
Timers are crappy because it gives the big boys a day or so to get the big fleet formed up just in case some one was stupid enough to try and take it. Add to that titan bridging/cyno's etc and you can have 1000 players across the other side of the map within an hour.

Basically 0.0 is ****** will always be ****** and nobody including CCP have got the faintest idea of how to fix it so you get the eternal merry go round of people complaining about 0.0 and other people recommending "this" way of fixing it and other people saying it's crap etc.

If I get it right, you're saying that the momentum effect make biggest alliances always win the fights and that make 0.0 space sclerotic.
Is that it ?
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#126 - 2013-12-02 13:02:20 UTC
but progodlegend will turn the tide

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#127 - 2013-12-02 14:03:14 UTC
Deunan Tenephais wrote:

Most of the space is worthless, much of the good space derives its value from passive activity (moon mining), taking space is a a one dimensional hitpoint grind in the timezone of your opponent's choosing, over and over and over again, the available upgrades for sov holders are the most rudimentary set of halfassed buffs, and industry is so hamstrung that it is invariably cheaper, quicker and easier to jump freighter everything in from Jita than to actually produce it yourself.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#128 - 2013-12-02 14:34:31 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Face the facts, "small groups" do not have any business being in sov null.

Sorry dude.

100% of nullsec is open to anyone and anybody.

I can fly my ship wherever I want, when I want. If it bothers you that you can't add padlocks to your gates, then I don't know what to tell you. CCP will never add padlocks to the gates, so you're just going to have to deal with the fact that people are going to be moving around in null who don't have sov.
Deunan Tenephais
#129 - 2013-12-02 14:40:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Deunan Tenephais
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Most of the space is worthless, much of the good space derives its value from passive activity (moon mining), taking space is a a one dimensional hitpoint grind in the timezone of your opponent's choosing, over and over and over again, the available upgrades for sov holders are the most rudimentary set of halfassed buffs, and industry is so hamstrung that it is invariably cheaper, quicker and easier to jump freighter everything in from Jita than to actually produce it yourself.

Allow me to try to get a clear cut understanding, iyo the problem is that 0 sec is:
-monolithical, because the way of taking sov is a grind and does not allow for lateral thinking and surprising maneuvers;
-uninspiring, with available infrstructural options being lukewarm at best, either in quality and in diversity;
-unrewarding, because the economical output is subpar compared to what exists elsewhere, considering efforts involved.

Is that it ?
Davon Mandra'thin
Das Collective
#130 - 2013-12-02 14:55:13 UTC
Those of you who actually expected this are naive. CCP has split their development resources so badly we were never going to see any significant changes to anything any time soon.
Stahlregen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#131 - 2013-12-02 14:57:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Stahlregen
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:

Allow me to try to get a clear cut understanding, iyo the problem is that 0 sec is:
-monolithical, because the way of taking sov is a grind and does not allow for lateral thinking and surprising maneuvers;
-uninspiring, with available infrstructural options being lukewarm at best, either in quality and in diversity;
-unrewarding, because the economical output is subpar compared to what exists elsewhere, considering efforts involved.

Is that it ?

Pretty much, yeah.

The only thing missing is that your summary understates massively how painfully convoluted and pointlessly intricated the whole process of taking, maintaining and ceding sov is.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN' WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY'S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN.

Cpt Tirel
Institute For Continuous Glory
#132 - 2013-12-02 14:59:53 UTC
umg this is terribal WUT am i gunna do?!
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#133 - 2013-12-02 15:06:03 UTC  |  Edited by: La Nariz
Infinity Ziona wrote:

You're thinking too simplistically. The only reason CFC is able to hold as much space as it does is because of timers. The reason you are opposed to removing them is because if they were removed you would not be demolishing every structure in game but desperately trying to prevent all the little alliances that you can usually pwn with your 24 hour CTA from demolishing your structures.

Without timers and mail notifications it would be open season on CFC sov.

I expected a good well thought out post from you considering I did all of the prepwork for you. ~lol no I'm right because~ is not a good post just FYI. I still expect you to put some bon-a-fied effort.

We are 35,000 strong our population sags when we are in peacetime and ramps up when we are in war time. Putting us in constant war like your suggestion is claiming to promote will mean we maintain a large enough population to wage a war of attrition on everyone. Wars of attrition are our specialty we deny the fun to the enemy and maximize the fun to ourselves as seen by fountain and delve. The only roadblock we would have is supercaps and none of your little alliances can field those because an opportunistic stronger alliance like PL will drop and destroy smaller supercap fleets. These smaller alliances do not have the income or resources to constantly replace their assets that are destroyed in conflict so none of it will last and we'll go back to people claiming to be ~elite pvpers~ whining on the forums with bad ideas because they can't single-handedly destroy what thousands of people have built.

These smaller alliances have NPC nullsec and will not be able to compete in sov nullsec without getting damn good at diplomacy, its the nature of the game. The more allies/friends you have in this multiplayer game the better off you are. No amount of removing quality of life enhancements will make that change.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Signal11th
#134 - 2013-12-02 15:09:26 UTC
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
Signal11th wrote:

If I get it right, you're saying that the momentum effect make biggest alliances always win the fights and that make 0.0 space sclerotic.
Is that it ?

The ability to adapt is there but the way that 0.0 functions even if some radical way was found the timers would make it a very short adaptation as the other side would have 24 hours+ to figure it out etc etc.

As usual with pretty much "most" games that includes grouping the person with the most numbers wins, not all the time but most of it.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#135 - 2013-12-02 15:12:30 UTC
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:

Is that it ?

Yep you hit some of the big ones, when highsec is better than the space you can own it creates a problem.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Athena Maldoran
Doomheim
#136 - 2013-12-02 15:16:19 UTC
Personally I belive that eve needs less ability to Project force. Eve if eve was 4 times larger and had 4 times the number of systems, force projection would still be a huge problem.

I doubt you can fix sov, if you dont fix force projection first..
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#137 - 2013-12-02 15:23:56 UTC
This entire thread is really pointless, when you think about it.
goons have won Eve. Period. Fullstop.

They do what they want, when they want, to whomever they want.

Altering sov mechanics will only slow or accelerate the speed that they conquer the rest of sov null sec, or whatever other space CCP gifts them (do we see conquerable high sec stations in summer 2014 or winter 2014?). It will not change the fact that inexorably, goons take control of more and more of the game (and the key prize, the game's income streams), and CCP is quite content with that.
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#138 - 2013-12-02 15:27:46 UTC
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
and CCP is quite content with that.

Because it's completely irrelevant to the game who controls what. The game ticks on anyways. It's not something that actually matters.

Also, you can't "win" EVE....In fact, if the amount of whining on the forums is any indicator, goons seem to be losing at EVE.
EvEa Deva
Doomheim
#139 - 2013-12-02 15:30:23 UTC
Sov overhaul would be a real expansion, not this 2 ship, 2 items, rebalance a few ships, patch/expansion.
Davon Mandra'thin
Das Collective
#140 - 2013-12-02 15:30:30 UTC
I personally think there is other things that needed changing/adding/fixing that were more important than sov, that also isn't going to get done.

When only a very small portion of the player-base lives in null, why are so many people so pissed? (Because all null secies are forum trolls)