These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Down Under Bombshell: No Sov overhaul until at least Winter 2014

First post First post First post
Author
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#81 - 2013-12-01 20:30:51 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Pinky Hops wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Considering the vast majority of nullsec is sov space then yes, it's broken.

Except the space works just fine with or without sov.

You could just delete the whole sov system right now and nullsec would keep on working just fine.

Nullsec is not broken. Nullsec works just fine.

Don't project your alliance problems into the entirety of the game.

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal

James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Why would we want to destroy stations though. That would just make it even more tedious to take space since redeveloping it becomes even more tedious.

Perhaps because it's a sandbox game and what you perceive as tedious is irrelevant.

The optimal population for many null systems is 1 person. It can take 3 days for another combat signature to spawn. In the meantime everyone in that system has only anonolies to farm, (which are in a tight heirachy of bad to meh) so for the most part, they'll all farm only 1 type of anomoly), and all below -0.75 sov null have no reason for combat pilots to enter belts. I've done well over 200 anomolies since the last one escalated. Most systems don't support anomolies that earn more than L4 missions in highsec. There are no content that is better done multiplayer.

ie I can keep the content sufficiently variable for me by working the system alone, and I have to give up half of that just for 1 player to be added to my corp. That is obviously broken for an MMO.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#82 - 2013-12-01 21:26:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
A new sov system is not something I'd like ccp to rush, taking your time is always better than rushing especially in the case of a system that would literally redraw the map. I applaud ccp for taking their time over this as it shows that they respect the concerns of their players and don't want to implement something that is not fit for purpose.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Prince Kobol
#83 - 2013-12-01 21:28:19 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
A new sov system is not something I'd like ccp to rush, taking your time is always better than rushing especially in the case of a system that would literally redraw the map. I applaud ccp for taking their time over this as it shows that they respect the concerns of their players and don't want to implement something that is not fit for purpose.

Completely agree but they have had since 2009 and they have stated that we might get something in summer 2014.

How long do they need?
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#84 - 2013-12-01 21:29:28 UTC
My lord there is a lot of silliness in this thread. The primary function of null sec is to serve as player owned and operated space. The insistence that null works in the absence of a good sov mechanic, merely because various ancillary aspects of null work, is like insisting that a plane works because, even though it can't get airborne, the seat backs and tray tables appear to be in their full upright and locked positions. Roll

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#85 - 2013-12-01 21:30:13 UTC
One of the big issues that I see popping up in this thread & this is true all across EVE is that there is a lack of content in each individual system. Sure there are a huge number of systems, but most of them in any security space are fairly barren. Even WH space can be barren, I've done excursions into there and found nothing but more WH's a number of times.

This creates boring space, when a solar system should be full of life & things to do.

To start with.
More Sigs & Anoms. They don't have to be more valuable than at present, and some can be 'less' valuable. But include environmental effects. Gas clouds that might explode if you fly near. Radiation zones. Old mines. Mini unusable WH's that put forth a C1 WH effect onto just the grid they are on in K space. or a higher C effect in WH space (Maybe even of a different type)
Then add smaller sov structures.
Sov Relay Array. Reinforce this and notifications for the next x time on Sov structures don't get sent (Obviously notification of this gets sent). Low enough a small gang can burn it down fast. With a way for the Sov holder to repair it out of reinforcement.
Scan arrays to represent the indexes. So Combat Scanning Array. As above, Reinforce it and the system acts as if it's 0 Combat index, but it can be repaired.

Even with just the 4 array types here, and a few more sigs & anoms, most systems will at least double the number of things in them, if not triple. As well as providing content for more players at once per system which has a knock on effect as increased player density leads to more chance people will go hunting said players, further increasing players in the system.

Is this idea a true Sov fix, Not at all. But it starts making things move as well as making it possible to raid a larger entity & move them around. If you reinforce a dozen Sov Relay Arrays at once all over the place, they have to send scouts to all those places. Meaning it becomes possible to confuse them as to your actual attack point.
Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#86 - 2013-12-01 22:00:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Guttripper
Prince Kobol wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:

Completely agree but they have had since 2009 and they have stated that we might get something in summer 2014.

How long do they need?

How long are you willing to keep your subscription active?

Didn't CCP hire that one individual from EA that was part of their marketing force? "Taunt" the players with possible yearly improvements on big ticket items, toss out a five year potential plan, and release expansions that offer just enough to jumble the boredom.

I believe if most players are like myself, then we're prone to keep our players (accounts) instead of letting another ~tarnish~ them. Add how easy overall it is to plex, or outright pay for this (cheap form of entertainment) game, most players are quite willing to waste time skill training and waiting for something that may or may not be better eventually.

Come winter of 2014, what are the chances we'll still be talking about how to improve dull space...?
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#87 - 2013-12-01 22:21:21 UTC
Personally I've always believed that the larger your territory is the easier it is to make it lucrative, but also makes it exponentially harder to defend and keep.

Large, sprawling, and especially thinly populated "space empires" should get easier and easier for small groups (or other large groups) to take that space away. Of course, whoever takes that space also has to deal with the same grim realities.

End result... groups end up taking what they can hold but strive not to get too big for their own britches.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#88 - 2013-12-01 22:24:18 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Personally I've always believed that the larger your territory is the easier it is to make it lucrative, but also makes it exponentially harder to defend and keep.

Large, sprawling, and especially thinly populated "space empires" should get easier and easier for small groups (or other large groups) to take that space away. Of course, whoever takes that space also has to deal with the same grim realities.

End result... groups end up taking what they can hold but strive not to get too big for their own britches.

The CFC is a coalition of many entities. They already divide space up amongst themselves, so any penalty for being larger is going to fail because they already have the building blocks to optimise to whatever size space holding entities give the maximum protection.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#89 - 2013-12-01 23:41:33 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them. As always I let some edge cases stay.
Please people, keep it on topic and above all civil!

The rules:
4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

19. All posts must be related to EVE Online.

Posts regarding other companies and products or services are prohibited and any content of this nature will be removed. Posts regarding other games are however permitted on the Out of Pod Experience forum for the purposes of discussion only.

22. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

26. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued.

31. Rumor mongering is prohibited.

Rumor threads and posts which are based off no actual solid information and are designed to either troll or annoy other users will be locked and removed. These kinds of threads and posts are detrimental to the well being and spirit of the EVE Online Community, and can create undue panic among forum users, as well as adding to the workload of our moderators.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#90 - 2013-12-01 23:46:05 UTC
Tauranon wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

The CFC is a coalition of many entities. They already divide space up amongst themselves, so any penalty for being larger is going to fail because they already have the building blocks to optimise to whatever size space holding entities give the maximum protection.

Yeah, we're hitting all the n3 renters that they are too thinly spread out to defend.

You did mean the n3 renters right?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#91 - 2013-12-01 23:49:15 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Can we have suggestions that aren't completely idiotic?
Those are already hard enough to find in Features and Ideas, good luck finding any in General Discussion.

Not sure why everyone is making a HUGE stink about this. Sov may not be the best system but it isn't totally , uselessly broken, and that's only a year away
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#92 - 2013-12-02 00:12:10 UTC
Xindi Kraid wrote:
Not sure why everyone is making a HUGE stink about this. Sov may not be the best system but it isn't totally , uselessly broken, and that's only a year away
How is nullsec going to look in a year's time? Judging by past results, I and many others think that the result will be "totally, uselessly broken". That is, if you think that nullsec isn't already "totally, uselessly broken". It's not getting better anytime soon.
ISD Ezwal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#93 - 2013-12-02 00:37:29 UTC
I have removed some rule breaking posts and those quoting them.

Please refrain from discussing forum moderation. If you are perceiving a problem with ISD behaviour on the forum or are disagreeing with the way (your) posts are being moderated, please feel free to read the CCP policies and follow the procedure found under the header 'Complaints'.

ISD Ezwal Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#94 - 2013-12-02 00:43:20 UTC
EI Digin wrote:
Xindi Kraid wrote:
How is nullsec going to look in a year's time? Judging by past results, I and many others think that the result will be "totally, uselessly broken". That is, if you think that nullsec isn't already "totally, uselessly broken". It's not getting better anytime soon.

at least your renters will be there

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Praetor Meles
Black Mount Industrial
Breakpoint.
#95 - 2013-12-02 01:35:25 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
...they have stated that we might get something in summer 2014.

How long do they need?

Until summer 2014.

[insert random rubbish that irritates you personally] is further evidence that Eve is dying/thriving*

• delete as required to make your point
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#96 - 2013-12-02 01:49:43 UTC
Updating sov mechanics is nice, but what we really need is walking in stations.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#97 - 2013-12-02 03:13:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Tauranon wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

It's much easier for there to be discord among the troops when the each have their own identity, so this is a good thing.

I'm just saying the mechanics should reflect and emphasis these traits, a guiding rule for future SOV mechanics overhauls.

Nothing as simple as "the more systems you have SOV over the shorter your reinforcement timers will be", but something that accomplishes the same end.

The larger your "space empire" is, the easier it should be for small groups of insurgents to do serious harm. At some point your infrastructure gets too big to effectively police in it's entirety.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#98 - 2013-12-02 03:27:22 UTC
Quote:
The larger your "space empire" is, the easier it should be for small groups of insurgents to do serious harm. At some point your infrastructure gets too big to effectively police in it's entirety.

Um, what? This is entirely contrary to reality, let alone to good game design.

Any tool you give that can be used to good effect by ten people, can be used to much greater effect by ten thousand. Face the facts, "small groups" do not have any business being in sov null.

This Rebel Alliance mentality bullshit needs to stop.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#99 - 2013-12-02 03:30:40 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

Any tool you give that can be used to good effect by ten people, can be used to much greater effect by ten thousand. Face the facts, "small groups" do not have any business being in sov null.

I think by "larger" they were referring to the quantity of territory held, not the number of people involved in the enterprise. 100 people holding 10 systems should be easier to attack than 100 people holding 1 system, etc.

Obviously more people would have the inverse effect, but the higher the population density of your territory, the thinner the resource distribution on a per-capita basis.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#100 - 2013-12-02 03:36:25 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

I think by "larger" they were referring to the quantity of territory held, not the number of people involved in the enterprise. 100 people holding 10 systems should be easier to attack than 100 people holding 1 system, etc.

Obviously more people would have the inverse effect.

And if we were talking about feudal fiefdoms, where you had to walk or horseback to your various territories, which necessitated placing garrisons in areas across your land, then it might make some sense.

But we are mighty space warlords with teleportation at our disposal. To expect that people would, or should have to, garrison their systems at all times to ensure someone doesn't timezone flip it is beyond asinine.

Furthermore, this would also only be feasible if each individual area was worth living in, instead of some 40-50% of it being worthless truesec barely fit for renters.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.