These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Down Under Bombshell: No Sov overhaul until at least Winter 2014

First post First post First post
Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#541 - 2013-12-04 14:03:36 UTC
Leigh Akiga wrote:
But theres a new battleship..

Don't forget: we're also going to use the opportunity to nerf Serpentis webs...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#542 - 2013-12-04 14:24:19 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

The last data we had is that suicide ganking is far below it's peak.

Out of curiousity, when was the peak?

Can't recall, but I'm going to assume that it was in the run up to insurance for CONCORDed ships being removed.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Borachon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#543 - 2013-12-04 14:29:45 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
The only thing I will comment on as to what has been discussed in the last few pages is the assertion that it is far too easy to project massive amounts of power in Null Sec.

This is exactly true and has been a literal Pandora's Box of trouble since the system was introduced, and it is far too difficult to disrupt this ability.

Hopefully this is one of the "chunks" that will be dealt with in the near future.

I largely agree with this, though I'm not really sure how to fix it without utterly breaking basic 0.0 <-> highsec logistics. Geography is no barrier in the current meta, and so every war is a world war. That eliminates the ability of small entities to break into 0.0 and grow away from the big guys.

My personal favorite suggestion that I've heard of would be to remove jump bridges (but not titan or blops bridges at first), and make a mobile deployable that stabilized wormholes, preventing their collapse due to mass or time limit being reached. (The size limit imposed by the remaining mass when stabilized would still exist.) Maybe make it anchorable only in 0.0 k-space at minimize its disruptiveness to current w-space play, depending on the thoughts of the w-space crowd. Make the BPC drop in ghost sites.

Finding good, stabilizing, camping, and disrupting these route then becomes a thing, and this plays into the exploration theme eve's been pushing, while providing a different, less predictable, more disruptable way to do long-distance logistics. It would of course need to be combined with continued balancing of nullsec industry.
Valterra Craven
#544 - 2013-12-04 14:32:25 UTC
Adamski flipflop wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:

The point of hi sec has always been safety and ease of play.

The point of null sec has always been better rewards and pvp.
)

do you support the complete removal of a number of minerals from hi-sec to better support null sec mining?

lets for example leave only tritanium in high sec and move the rest staggered through the lower sec statuses?

No, null sec alliances were bitching and moaning about having to import trit for all their super caps, what makes you think any null sec alliance is going to export minerals like iso and mex? About the only thing exported is t2 comps, morphite, zyd and mega, maybe nox. Anything more than that and people aren't going to give a crap. Besides, as it stands now Mex is a significant barrier for null sec entities as it is. You'd only be breaking both sec bands in the process.

Seriously, why would you waste freighter space on minerals when you could use it on t2 comps? Makes no sense.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#545 - 2013-12-04 14:32:59 UTC
Borachon wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
The only thing I will comment on as to what has been discussed in the last few pages is the assertion that it is far too easy to project massive amounts of power in Null Sec.

This is exactly true and has been a literal Pandora's Box of trouble since the system was introduced, and it is far too difficult to disrupt this ability.

Hopefully this is one of the "chunks" that will be dealt with in the near future.

I largely agree with this, though I'm not really sure how to fix it without utterly breaking basic 0.0 <-> highsec logistics. Geography is no barrier in the current meta, and so every war is a world war. That eliminates the ability of small entities to break into 0.0 and grow away from the big guys.

My personal favorite suggestion that I've heard of would be to remove jump bridges (but not titan or blops bridges at first), and make a mobile deployable that stabilized wormholes, preventing their collapse due to mass or time limit being reached. (The size limit imposed by the remaining mass when stabilized would still exist.) Maybe make it anchorable only in 0.0 k-space at minimize its disruptiveness to current w-space play, depending on the thoughts of the w-space crowd. Make the BPC drop in ghost sites.

Finding good, stabilizing, camping, and disrupting these route then becomes a thing, and this plays into the exploration theme eve's been pushing, while providing a different, less predictable, more disruptable way to do long-distance logistics. It would of course need to be combined with continued balancing of nullsec industry.

The problem with messing around with "force projection" is that none of the epic newsworthy super-battles that are the literal jewels in EVE's/CCP's crown could have happened without it.

Easy force/logistical projection has some serious bad aspects, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, remember the good aspects of being able to move about New Eden quickly.
Borachon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#546 - 2013-12-04 14:53:20 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

The problem with messing around with "force projection" is that none of the epic newsworthy super-battles that are the literal jewels in EVE's/CCP's crown could have happened without it.

Easy force/logistical projection has some serious bad aspects, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, remember the good aspects of being able to move about New Eden quickly.

Oh, I agree. That's why I'd probably keep titan bridges and certainly keep blops bridges. Make long-distance logistics require either the disruptable uncertainty of wormholes or actual players to be involved, as opposed to passive structures at fixed locations.
Kinis Deren
Mosquito Squadron
D0GS OF WAR
#547 - 2013-12-04 15:33:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Kinis Deren
Jenn aSide wrote:

So, in a game that touts risk vs reward and has always had a scheme of "the more dangerous the space, the better the rewards", you agree that the only reason to risk an expensive ship (like for example my ratting Machariel) is "balls". That proves the point, an imbalance exists.

See, this is a common fallacy that risk follows NS=WS>>LS>>HS when a simple analysis (check out the two graphs under the table) suggests the risk order is more like LS>>NS=WS>HS.

By your "risk versus reward" mantra, LS residents should be recieving the lion's share of any rewards. After all, it is you that is saying the more dangerous the space, the better the rewards. Security status is, at best, an extremely poor indicator of how dangerous a particular system is and certainly shouldn't be used as the determining factor in reward calculation.

Interestingly, the second graph (ratio of effectively PVE/PVP) shows that HS and NS carebearing to pew pew ratios are about the same. So much for a vibrant and violent null sec LOL.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#548 - 2013-12-04 15:34:56 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

I think you will find that was when mining ships had the tank of a wet paper bag, so everyone was doing it, I am pretty sure if you checked now a lot more bling fitted mission and incursion ships are getting ganked.

Jenn a Side RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll you are like a stuck record player!

Suggestions:

Remove TCU, SBU, IHUB's

Leave station as is with current timers and use that to define sov

Perhaps define one station as capital and allow more than one station in system

Increase the levels of the 0.0 systems to their full IHUB levels.

Increase the factory, copying/invention slots in all null sec stations, I would enable the stations to be improved to the same level as the best in hisec

Remove jump bridges from the game

Perhaps nerf the Titan bridge range

Reduce incursion payouts a bit.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#549 - 2013-12-04 15:54:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Kinis Deren wrote:

See, this is a common fallacy that risk follows NS=WS>>LS>>HS when a simple analysis (check out the two graphs under the table) suggests the risk order is more like LS>>NS=WS>HS.

By your "risk versus reward" mantra, LS residents should be recieving the lion's share of any rewards. After all, it is you that is saying the more dangerous the space, the better the rewards. Security status is, at best, an extremely poor indicator of how dangerous a particular system is and certainly shouldn't be used as the determining factor in reward calculation.

Wow, what an insane display of putting the cart before the horse. Does that analysis really use number of jumps in it's risk ratio calculation (jumps vs ship kills)? That's crazy for a number of reasons, there is no way to determine original jumps (is it 1000 people jumping once or one guy jumping into a system 1000 times) and so on. Lots of people transit though low sec without actually interacting with low sec.

Beyond that, while low sec is not nearly as coddling as high sec, it's still semi protected space. There is no indication on that page you linked about the effects of gate guns and station guns on pvp. Sorry, null is still the more dangerous space, the only potential npc help you get in null is if the rats your shooting switch targets while you're getting ganked lol.

Not saying low sec isn't dangerous mind you.

And it can be argued that low sec ALREADY has better rewards than null which makes the snark in your post even more amusing. The DED plexes that drop Pithum and Gistum etc A type loot are much more prevelent in low sec than null (6/10s spawn more in low, while they do occur in null 7/10s and up are way more common), ansd that loot is WAY more coveted than even most null se cX-type loot.

And while null sec pirate LP is pound for pound more valuable, you get SO much of noraml Lp from lvl 5s. You can do 400+ mil an hour with a good carrier set up and enough standing to cherry pick missions.

Between 400 mil an hour lvl 5s, 5-600mil faction warfare lvl 4 farming, 150 mil an hour FW button orbitting IN a FRIGATE and potential 1-2bil isk drops from low sec DED plexes (won't even mention the new "damn near officer" belt rats dropping tags now), low sec can't complain about potential rewards, it's already unbalanced with null sec. Low sec is damn near "wormhole good" when it comes to isk from PVE.

---This next sentence is the important part---

The reason I don't care as much about the low/null imbalance as I do the high/null imbalance is because at least Low Sec pilots EARN their isk by being in constant danger.

Quote:

Interestingly, the second graph (ratio of effectively PVE/PVP) shows that HS and NS carebearing to pew pew ratios are about the same. So much for a vibrant and violent null sec LOL.

You do know that faction warfare button orbitting (for an example) where no npcs are killed won't show up in your stats right? You have such utterly incomplete info (if that is your graphs that you made or is it someone else's) that it isn't even funny.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#550 - 2013-12-04 16:02:27 UTC
I was destroyed once doing lowsec PVE. Sad
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#551 - 2013-12-04 16:06:17 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
I was destroyed once doing lowsec PVE. Sad

You really don't want to hear about my low sec follies, unless you want a seriously good and long laugh. Didn't need that carrier anyways.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#552 - 2013-12-04 16:26:44 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Borachon wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Agreed. This is why the bulk of the attention should go into making "easy movement" mechanics very disrupt-able by player actions, although some aspects could still go away completely.

Super battles can still happen, especially when both sides want it to happen, but sprawling empty space empires become so easy to disrupt easy travel in they become inconvenient. This provides reasons to only hold what you can defend, and if the disruption mechanics are handled properly it also provides more ways for small gangs to have a more significant impact on a war than the occasional gank or mining/ratting deterrent.

Honestly though, there are very very few good things about easy mode travel. It removes conflict, removes reasons for local trade hubs, removes the need to develop local industry, all in addition to the more noticeable issue of promoting super blobs. So yes, I wouldn't like to see it removed completely... instead I'd like to see it as a crutch which is great to have in times of peace but easily kicked out from under you in times of war (even against a much smaller adversary).

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#553 - 2013-12-04 16:41:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
On a loosely related note I'd like to see Deep Space Transports given more of a role... possibly even as a way to deploy critical combat related structures while a battle is raging (various types of area effect disruption modules, including more powerful one shot cyno and covert cyno jamming structures... possibly other types of disruption structures as well).

That would require them to be rebalanced with an eye towards being extremely tough when receiving remote reps and having excellent mobility in a combat situation (such as the ability to use a Micro Jump Drive around the battlefield to get to critical positions).

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Commander Spurty
#554 - 2013-12-04 17:32:56 UTC
Good luck with this.

Whatever you do, someone's going to cry and wail about it.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#555 - 2013-12-04 17:38:49 UTC
Spurty wrote:
Good luck with this.

Whatever you do, someone's going to cry and wail about it.

Sounds like my 2nd marriage....

Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#556 - 2013-12-04 17:45:39 UTC
A few years ago, I was telling a co-worker about Eve and its gaming universe. I must have gotten quite hyper about my discussion because he suddenly burst out laughing when I was in mid-sentence about some aspect to this game. So I stopped and asked him what was so funny...

"You know you're talking about a ******* video game, right?"

After that, reading threads like this one just reminds me of him laughing at this game. Whereas before I might have felt that people here were passionate about their gaming, looking at it from a "so what" angle presents to me that people constantly nickel and dime argue about the same old same old for years that until CCP does something drastic, nothing is going to change for the better, or worse.
Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#557 - 2013-12-04 18:04:07 UTC
Rainbow Dash wrote:
Everyone wants sov to be revamped, but no one has a good idea how.

Like with POS, CCP will entertain every single idea, except the one's the players want and possibly have had the CSM present several times.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#558 - 2013-12-04 19:34:16 UTC
Quote:
17. Impersonation of another party is prohibited.

Forum users are strictly prohibited from impersonating any other party on the EVE Online forums. This includes but is not limited to ISD volunteers, CCP employees, CCP partners and other forum users. This also includes suggesting that an employee of CCP or an ISD volunteer will perform a task for you.

Deleted a post as per the above rule.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#559 - 2013-12-04 20:17:37 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

I think you will find that was when mining ships had the tank of a wet paper bag, so everyone was doing it, I am pretty sure if you checked now a lot more bling fitted mission and incursion ships are getting ganked.

Pre buff it was entirely possible to make sure that 90% of the barges and exhumers were unprofitable to gank, the problem was with the 90% of their owners that couldn't be bothered to do so. The same problem exists today, people would much rather fit for yield than tank. The wet paper bag tank of the mining ships was, and still is entirely down to the people flying them.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#560 - 2013-12-04 20:41:13 UTC
I love these threads where nullsec dwellers whine that they exist in a symbiotic relationship with hisec must be nerfed. Some of them have demanded in the past that CONCORD be removed and that each station have a switch they could throw to force everyone docked to immediately undock, in their pod.

The reality is that with the de facto elimination of high sec, this game's subscription numbers would drop faster than TORtanic's. For some reason they struggle with the idea that no one wants to play a game where your only option is to be herded right down the barrel of a gun to satisfy the emotional needs of sub par players who resent that getting a lot pf kills takes skill.