These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Down Under Bombshell: No Sov overhaul until at least Winter 2014

First post First post First post
Author
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#521 - 2013-12-04 03:10:08 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:
The real problem here is that no one can agree on what the real problem is.

Everyone who has half a brain knows what the real problem is.

People just choose to ignore it because the truth hurts.
Valterra Craven
#522 - 2013-12-04 03:17:20 UTC
EI Digin wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:

Everyone who has half a brain knows what the real problem is.

People just choose to ignore it because the truth hurts.

The truth really only hurts if it pertains to your or my personal feelings. Given that this isn't an argument about feelings but rather balance concepts, the truth doesn't really hurt...
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#523 - 2013-12-04 03:18:43 UTC
Keep digging that hole deeper.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#524 - 2013-12-04 03:20:51 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:

Right, cuse let me tell you all those null npc agents are clearly breaking the game and everyone is rolling in money there... *eye roll*

Ah, confirming you haven't seen the price of machariels lately.

Quote:

High sec if anything isn't safe enough, given how much more prevalent suicide ganking has become since 2008.

It seems that the devs are content to make modest changes and keep both sides pissed. Seems like a good solution to me.

Frankly, easy mode PVE exists in null just as much as it does in hi. If it should exist anywhere, empire is def the place it should be.

The above is so far removed from reality it should be it's own video game. Where is your evidence that suicide ganking has become "much more prevelent" since 2008? Where is your chart showing that suicide ganking has grown faster than population growth since 2008. Or did you (like very many posters in favor of the broken status quo) simply pull that belief out of your *insert place where no sun shines here*?

Rhetorical question, because we know you don't have any such evidence, you base your beliefs on vapor.
Pinky Hops
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#525 - 2013-12-04 03:32:02 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ah, confirming you haven't seen the price of machariels lately.

EVE IS DOOMED

Jenn aSide wrote:
The above is so far removed from reality it should be it's own video game

Indeed.
Valterra Craven
#526 - 2013-12-04 04:25:10 UTC
La Nariz wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with deep holes.
Valterra Craven
#527 - 2013-12-04 04:26:13 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

The above is so far removed from reality it should be it's own video game. Where is your evidence that suicide ganking has become "much more prevelent" since 2008? Where is your chart showing that suicide ganking has grown faster than population growth since 2008. Or did you (like very many posters in favor of the broken status quo) simply pull that belief out of your *insert place where no sun shines here*?

Rhetorical question, because we know you don't have any such evidence, you base your beliefs on vapor.

Because such evidence doesn't exist. Much like your evidence that Hi sec is too safe.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#528 - 2013-12-04 04:30:43 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:
La Nariz wrote:

Width, on the other hand...

that can let people fit a Titan through there when you aren't looking. And then all of a sudden you're getting evicted and you have to find a new hole.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Valterra Craven
#529 - 2013-12-04 04:33:38 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:
La Nariz wrote:

that can let people fit a Titan through there when you aren't looking. And then all of a sudden you're getting evicted and you have to find a new hole.

*insert titan sized condom joke here*
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#530 - 2013-12-04 04:35:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Valterra Craven wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:
La Nariz wrote:

*insert titan sized condom joke here*

*facepalm*

The Avatar model reference? Anybody?

[Edit: "Titan Man!!!"

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#531 - 2013-12-04 04:43:00 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Because such evidence doesn't exist. Much like your evidence that Hi sec is too safe.

The point is that you do not base your opinions on evidence. I however do. Notice the dev blog I linked, High Sec has soooo many more characters than null, yet null accounts for 3.5 times more pvp deaths.

But high sec isn't just wayyy to safe from pvp, it's PVE too. The most common ship killed in high sec PVE is the freaking Condor. I had to look at the wiki to see what the damn CONDOR looked like lol. The biggest killer of PVE ships in high sec are tutorial missions. In the same high sec you can do missions that yield pirate implants, high end scanning equipment and now pirate faction ships, including the 1st ever high sec available pirate faction BS.

So tell us, exactly what do you base your opinon on?
Valterra Craven
#532 - 2013-12-04 04:59:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Valterra Craven
Jenn aSide wrote:

The point is that you do not base your opinions on evidence. I however do. Notice the dev blog I linked, High Sec has soooo many more characters than null, yet null accounts for 3.5 times more pvp deaths.

But high sec isn't just wayyy to safe from pvp, it's PVE too. The most common ship killed in high sec PVE is the freaking Condor. I had to look at the wiki to see what the damn CONDOR looked like lol. The biggest killer of PVE ships in high sec are tutorial missions. In the same high sec you can do missions that yield pirate implants, high end scanning equipment and now pirate faction ships, including the 1st ever high sec available pirate faction BS.

So tell us, exactly what do you base your opinon on?

And yet, the dev blog doesn't really support your point. The entire point of Null sec is PVP. The entire point of Empire is safety.

Null SHOULD have 3.5 times more pvp deaths than empire.

Again, as far the condor being the most lost ship, another useless stat that doesn't really look at the whole picture.

The point of hi sec has always been safety and ease of play.

The point of null sec has always been better rewards and pvp.

The metrics you post prove that this is the case.

Now as far as your other complaints, I'm not going to argue that getting pirate ships outa highsec is balanced, because its not, not even when you factor in the price between null and hi sec for them.

As far as the meta, well the meta has been garbage since the game came out... for example, why are there are so many different faction BCU's but only like one or two options better than t2 mag stabs. Why are there no meta 2-4 drone mods? Why do we need 3 different types of deadspace armor reps that essentially do the same f-ing thing?

There are so many holes in the module meta right now its not even funny. I guess what I'm getting at, is that with the sisters gear, they need be nerfed slightly, and then have dead space mods and officer mods to make up the difference. The ratios in performance should be the same for all mod meta improvements and the meta should be filled out accordingly. Again, no direct nerfs to hi sec. (because changing sisters gear also affects people that run sisters missions in null sec, its a net neutral nerf in terms of sec bands)
Ragnen Delent
#533 - 2013-12-04 05:02:39 UTC
This thread is really bad and you should all feel ashamed for posting in it.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#534 - 2013-12-04 09:05:22 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Until the SAME situation that caused the anomaly nerf happens again. How many times does CCP have to buff null, find out thats bad, and nerf null again?

When something is a problem, you fix IT, not the consequneces it causes. The problem (in the case of combat PVE) is that it's too easy to make in high sec with too much safety. The rewards in null are fine, it's not lack of reward that cause folks like me to maintain high sec alts, it's how "easy mode" high sec combat pve is.

Right, cuse let me tell you all those null npc agents are clearly breaking the game and everyone is rolling in money there... *eye roll*

High sec if anything isn't safe enough, given how much more prevalent suicide ganking has become since 2008.

It seems that the devs are content to make modest changes and keep both sides pissed. Seems like a good solution to me.

Frankly, easy mode PVE exists in null just as much as it does in hi. If it should exist anywhere, empire is def the place it should be.

The last data we had is that suicide ganking is far below it's peak.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#535 - 2013-12-04 09:10:43 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Out of curiousity, when was the peak?

Best Meltdown Ever.

Deunan Tenephais
#536 - 2013-12-04 10:49:57 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Deunan Tenephais wrote:
You know, for someone like me who must not even earn 40 or 50 millions per evening, all these discussions about excursions at a 100/200 millions per hour seems a lot like some bourgeois' problems.

I suppose you mine?

Well I do mine from time to time, it bring a change of pace, but mining is not actually my main activity.
As far as mining is concerned I feel more and more the pull to take some risk and go mining in Low Sec as a freelance, for the moderate increase in money but also for the thrill of it and the sake of simply knowing there is nothing better to mine than jasp, hemo and hedber.

Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Get a decent battleship, and try doing some L4s. Between the LP and the salvage, you will be swimming in money within hours. If I cared to, I could plex all of my accounts over the course of a weekend of normal play time.

I don't, because I hate boredom, but nonetheless the ridiculous earning potential is still there. You can get to 80 mil an hour without even bringing a salvage alt.

But I also do missions, mainly L3 I must admit because I don't have enough cash flow to start risking a BS and my skills are not good enough to blitz through L4.
Getting between 50 and 100 milions per hour with high sec missioning seems to be at the marauder level, at least; I doubt a mega or a raven can do that much.
S'No Flake
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#537 - 2013-12-04 13:09:46 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Dinsdale Pirannha wrote:
Valterra Craven wrote:

So lets think about this for a sec and offer solutions. I think the simplest solution would be to offer an empire lvl 4 or 5 agent in player made outposts that have been upgraded a certain way. That way anyone with access to the station can have all the income they want as easily as hi sec and is comparable to Hi-sec mechanics, but offers better rewards.

Either that or figure out some kind of scaling mechanic for null sec like incursions etc for those players to run...

This doesn't nerf high sec and fixes null. Everyone is happy.

Incursions are already heavily scaled in null sec. They are much harder, but the payouts much higher.
But null sec folks seldom run them because they can't be bothered getting into shiny ships in a group that they actually have to pay for, as opposed to all the fleet sanctioned ships that are free.

Why run in a group making 200M/hour in null, risking a 2-4 billion ISK ship, when you can run solo in null and make 120-150M / hour, in a less blingy ship?

And if you have a single honest bone in your body, complete the thought:

Why run solo in null making 120 to 150 mil an hour in an expensive ratting ship (because you're only making that kind of isk in a marauder or pirate ship or carrier) waiting to become an embarrising killmail if you screw up or don't pay attention when you can X up in an incursion communiy chat, get in a fleet you yourself didn't have to form and use the SAME mach/vindi/nightmare in a high sec incursion covered by both CONCORD and 11 Logistic ships while making comparable isk and CONCORD LP?

I'm serious, think about it. Answer honestly if you can.

LOL....right, and NO ONE ever gets ganked in high sec. Gimme a break.
Running incursions in high sec is fraught with risk, and a major pain in the butt on the occasions DIN, TVP, and ISN get into a pissing contest shutting down mom's as soon as they appear.

As expected, you lack the honesty and bravery to answer honestly.

Who said no one ever gets ganked in high sec? Even so, anwser the question, why do an expensive ship in null for the same isk you can make with the same ship in high sec rotected by logistics ships?

Balls? RnK did them (if i'm not mistaken) in 0.0 ... or in the worst case in LS.... so, yes... balls?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#538 - 2013-12-04 13:30:39 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Where EVE echoes real life. One of my side jobs in my organization is compiling locality crime stats for posting to the public and let me tell you, people IRL tend to almost always perceive that "crime" is going up and getting out of control and that life is much more dangerous..... even when living in a country (in this case, the U.S.) where crime is down and violent crime is at 40 year lows..

IMO It's a misconception based on aging, when a person is young they spend less of their time worrying about or even noticing danger or dangerous trends, and as young people have little wealth, they have little to lose (materially) in any event. That same person pays way way more attention to such things in their middle age, and people being people, many tend to think that the things they didn't notice "back in my day" but that they do notice now are some how new and increasing.

Those same people play EVE lol, and are easy to convince that "things are worse than ever with all the suicide ganking" or that "high sec is less safe than it used to be" (despite all the work on crime watch and safeties and HP buffs to some non-combat ships and loads of new defensive equipment introduced over the last few years etc) when the truth is the opposite.

The reality is that the people who think suicide ganking increased when it actually decreased are simply people who now (unlike when they started) own things worth ganking lol. It's no different from the IRL guy who buys a nice shiney sports car or motorcycle who suddenly beleives that auto theft is on the rise.
Adamski flipflop
Trigger Warning.
#539 - 2013-12-04 13:41:25 UTC
Valterra Craven wrote:

The point of hi sec has always been safety and ease of play.

The point of null sec has always been better rewards and pvp.
)

do you support the complete removal of a number of minerals from hi-sec to better support null sec mining?

lets for example leave only tritanium in high sec and move the rest staggered through the lower sec statuses?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#540 - 2013-12-04 14:01:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
S'No Flake wrote:

Balls? RnK did them (if i'm not mistaken) in 0.0 ... or in the worst case in LS.... so, yes... balls?

So, in a game that touts risk vs reward and has always had a scheme of "the more dangerous the space, the better the rewards", you agree that the only reason to risk an expensive ship (like for example my ratting Machariel) is "balls". That proves the point, an imbalance exists.

(don't want to invoke any ISD ire by posting my own killmails, but you can yourself look up my old ratting character Metellus Scipio on battleclinic and laugh at the lost ratting machs and Vindicators among other embarrassing things lol)

Up until recently I used that mach in null sec. I fit to pve and survive (so always with a cloak and MWD, recently went to dual prop mwd/mjd set up and such) and the new mobile depot was something i kept in my cargo with some warp stabs and a target lock break etc. But PVEing in null with a pirate faction ship has become rather nerve racking (Death to all Crows and Taranises!!!). So I shipped my mach to empire and starting doing my null sec PVE with a run of the mill, easy to replace Dominix.

The mach is in empire with my incursion character behind the wheel now, safe in the embrace of CONCORD and my incursion community's logistics group lol. When there are no incursions, that same mach is rolling over missions for sisters or thukker faction high sec agents making every bit as much isk as it would be in a null sec anom farm, in danger.

I really don't like nostalgia, but in this one case I'll do it myself: "back in my day" if you wanted null or low sec level combat PVE isk, you went to null or low sec. Nowadays you just go 6 jumps from jita (osmon) or 8 jumps from Rens (Lannagisi) or wherever good ole Sansha Kuvakei has set up shop (as of last night, somewhere near Agil)......