These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Beer Online

First post First post
Author
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#21 - 2013-11-27 21:44:27 UTC
When I go to the dingy clubs for metal shows nothing beats double fisting the gold ole PBR

If I am relaxing most anything by Sierra Nevada, Stella, Red Stripe....tbh I will drink most any ale (preferrable a very hoopy pale), pilsner, Hefeweizen... If I ever enter an ethnic restaurant I will get some beer of the mother nation.

Too many micro brews to list. I have had some interesting fruit brewed beers recently and I am really liking those. I can not remember the brewery at this point so I will come back later for that.

I steer clear of stouts tbh. and nothing ever by Samuel Adams. That Brewery is the most over rated one I know of...imho.
Ila Gant
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2013-11-27 22:06:35 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
When I go to the dingy clubs for metal shows nothing beats double fisting the gold ole PBR

If I am relaxing most anything by Sierra Nevada, Stella, Red Stripe....tbh I will drink most any ale (preferrable a very hoopy pale), pilsner, Hefeweizen... If I ever enter an ethnic restaurant I will get some beer of the mother nation.

Too many micro brews to list. I have had some interesting fruit brewed beers recently and I am really liking those. I can not remember the brewery at this point so I will come back later for that.

I steer clear of stouts tbh. and nothing ever by Samuel Adams. That Brewery is the most over rated one I know of...imho.

In other words, you like beer-flavored water. Granted, Stella is very good beer-flavored water.
Matokin Lemant
#23 - 2013-11-27 23:17:17 UTC
I like Blanche de Chambly (its a Canadian beer) I am not a heavy drinker so I only enjoy it on occasion
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#24 - 2013-11-27 23:35:09 UTC
Ila Gant wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:

In other words, you like beer-flavored water. Granted, Stella is very good beer-flavored water.

I like alcohol. I have very few distastes. Not so well played insult by the way Blink

Very few people I know that like stouts can tolerate an IPA, much less a strong one, so tossing around insults about someone's alcohol preferences reeks of pubescent chest puffing. Also, most of the micro brews I drink now, have alcohol contents over 10%, so hardly water.

P.S. You listed a single Sam Adams beer that you liked. I seriously question if you even have the authority to toss around a beer insult. I also prefer single malts as well. Also, Absinthe has recently found a very fond place in my pallet.
CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#25 - 2013-11-28 00:15:18 UTC
Annette Aumer wrote:
I'd also love to know some more about how easy and cost effective it is to set up your own microbrew. This interests me greatly!

I found that the best approach is baby steps. Start with the bare amount needed to brew: some hops, yeast, brewers malt extract and irish moss (carrageenan). Get a food grade 5 gallon (25-30l) bucket, enough pots (or one large pot) to boil that volume of liquid, a thermometer, a nylon mesh bag, a hydrometer (for measuring how potentially alcoholic your brew is), some cleaning agent like Oxyclean (or even bleach if you are thorough with rinsing) and some sanitizer (Starsan, it's amazing and turns into a yeast nutrient once it oxidizes). You'll also need some bottles/bottle caps/silicon tubing and a bottle capper.

This does sound like a lot, but asides from the ingredients/cleaners and bottle caps which need to be replenished, this is all you really need to get a hold on brewing and will be equipment that will serve you well for a good few years. It's really easy to get started using malt extracts, and is a very time-efficient way to brew. Perfect for a beginner! It feels like a pretty large investment to kick a hobby off, but when you are brewing batches that work out between 50p and £1 per pint you'll never regret it!

The next step after you have a hold on the whole process, from boiling to bottling (and then waiting!) would be to gradually upgrade your setup so that you can do partial-extract or all-grain brews.

Black Panpher wrote:
Ice cold Budvar please!

Nothing wrong with a cold, genuine Budvar!

Zimmy Zeta wrote:
I like cheap beer.
Bonus points if it's cold. Cool

I like your style! If it's beer, I'm in!

Bischopt wrote:
I should give a special mention to Malmgård and their products. There's the blond ale and the spelt beer. They're a bit of a delicacy (for me at least).

Haven't tried any from them yet, shall have to try and source some when I am back in the UK.

Nicen Jehr wrote:
cans or bottles of yuengling for day to day fleet ops
a growler of Rhino Chaser Pils by Lost Rhino, during Brave Newbies Council of Newbie Management meetings

Not familiar with these although Lost Rhino rings a bell. I shall consult Antiquarian on yuengling, just checked their site, totally something I would be interested in (beer).

James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Stone Ruination IPA, when I'm feeling bitter. Or in the mood for something bitter.

Ah Stone! Big fan of these guys, had the Bastard, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard. That last one was pretty pricey over the pond! £15 for a 750ml bottle if I remember rightly. Totally worth it.

Slade Trillgon wrote:

Sounds similar to my unashamed love for Tennents. Damn I miss it!
Good call on the rest, I have enjoyed all of them immensely, even Stella (or Wifebeater as it was colloquially called in the UK).

Matokin Lemant wrote:
I like Blanche de Chambly (its a Canadian beer) I am not a heavy drinker so I only enjoy it on occasion

You enjoy it, and that's what counts Cool

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

Ila Gant
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2013-11-28 04:06:10 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Ila Gant wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:

I like alcohol. I have very few distastes. Not so well played insult by the way Blink

Very few people I know that like stouts can tolerate an IPA, much less a strong one, so tossing around insults about someone's alcohol preferences reeks of pubescent chest puffing. Also, most of the micro brews I drink now, have alcohol contents over 10%, so hardly water.

P.S. You listed a single Sam Adams beer that you liked. I seriously question if you even have the authority to toss around a beer insult. I also prefer single malts as well. Also, Absinthe has recently found a very fond place in my pallet.

Apologies. Was intended more along the lines of being a snob joke. It didn't work.

I'm not all that familiar with beer. I've had a few outstanding Belgian ales but I couldn't tell you what they were. I do like Stella Artois, but I tend to like the ones with a stronger flavor more.
Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#27 - 2013-11-28 05:09:38 UTC
I've heard Bell's Hopslam Ale is good if you like extra hoppy beers, I'm not much of beer drinker so I can't tell you what I think, but I have been told it's one of the most requested craft brews in a liquor store that my family owns.
BLACK-STAR
#28 - 2013-11-28 08:46:28 UTC
Do you know what happens when you drink and keyboard? Terrible and regrettable stuff!
CCP Lebowski
C C P
C C P Alliance
#29 - 2013-11-28 09:22:24 UTC
BLACK-STAR wrote:
Do you know what happens when you drink and keyboard? Terrible and regrettable stuff!
Nonsense! It's fine as long as you have no more than very nearly 2 pints. ProofBig smile

CCP Lebowski | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five-0

@CCP_Lebowski

Annette Aumer
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2013-11-28 15:32:42 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
Annette Aumer wrote:
I'd also love to know some more about how easy and cost effective it is to set up your own microbrew. This interests me greatly!

I found that the best approach is baby steps. Start with the bare amount needed to brew: some hops, yeast, brewers malt extract and irish moss (carrageenan). Get a food grade 5 gallon (25-30l) bucket, enough pots (or one large pot) to boil that volume of liquid, a thermometer, a nylon mesh bag, a hydrometer (for measuring how potentially alcoholic your brew is), some cleaning agent like Oxyclean (or even bleach if you are thorough with rinsing) and some sanitizer (Starsan, it's amazing and turns into a yeast nutrient once it oxidizes). You'll also need some bottles/bottle caps/silicon tubing and a bottle capper.

This does sound like a lot, but asides from the ingredients/cleaners and bottle caps which need to be replenished, this is all you really need to get a hold on brewing and will be equipment that will serve you well for a good few years. It's really easy to get started using malt extracts, and is a very time-efficient way to brew. Perfect for a beginner! It feels like a pretty large investment to kick a hobby off, but when you are brewing batches that work out between 50p and £1 per pint you'll never regret it!

The next step after you have a hold on the whole process, from boiling to bottling (and then waiting!) would be to gradually upgrade your setup so that you can do partial-extract or all-grain brews.

Excellent mini writeup thankyou!
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#31 - 2013-11-28 20:25:56 UTC
Little Creatures pale ale.

Cascade draught in a pinch.

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

CCP Aporia
C C P
C C P Alliance
#32 - 2013-11-29 13:14:49 UTC
The best way to learn about brewing beer, in my opinion, is getting a copy of the infamous "How to Brew" book. It's also available online, for free, at http://www.howtobrew.com/. That 's how I learned brewing anyway.

On top of that there is an excellent open-source software available that helps you keep track of your recipes and adjust calculations if required: http://www.brewtarget.org/

Happy homebrewing!

Friend of walking avatars, currently hibernating until he gets to open that door.

Graygor
1kB Realty
#33 - 2013-11-29 13:30:43 UTC
Cobra beer. The best Indian beer there is.

http://www.cobrabeer.com/

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Sonkut
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-11-29 13:45:27 UTC
If i weren't going climbing tonight, i would be drinking Beer. Good beer, dark beer, From my home made wooden tankard.

I'm slowly working on a business for it, i know many of the things about the sweet brews. Not a fan of hopps though, i try to brew with herbal alternatives that give all the benefits without the downsides and attempt some historical accuracy to the old ales that predate hops.

I'm no fan of light beers, and lager is like sex in a canoe (that's not a good thing, although it sounds like it) I've never liked lager. Soon i need to start my next brew for the christmas / new year drinkies, running a bit late... all mi herbs are dead though, shoulda dried some.

Anyhow, HI, i like beer too!
Urielus Dimaloun
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2013-11-29 14:01:23 UTC
Fav beer? Mine ;) With my friend we're making own bear, about Xmas should be ~30 bottles of pure gold.

As of "market" beers I prefer dark beers: Guinness, Fortuna Czarna (my fav polish dark beer). Also Ciechan Miodowy is good (light, honey flavored beer). But mostly I'm choosing Special (light beer, aka Czarna Szmata - Black B*tch) - it got awful, but strangely appealing taste (*magic*).
Weasel Leblanc
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-11-29 15:11:25 UTC
If you can get Rogue products where you are, they make a fairly excellent mocha porter. Well, assuming you like porter.
Dirk Morbho
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2013-11-29 16:47:12 UTC
Sam Adams Summer Ale
Newcastle Brown
Black & Tan as mentioned earlier
Irish Reds
Mexican Cerveza's

I also just began the homebrew adventure (as noted in my other thread).
Delicious Beer Ahoy Maties! Pirate

cheers
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#38 - 2013-11-29 17:46:23 UTC
Sonkut wrote:
If i weren't going climbing tonight, i would be drinking Beer. Good beer, dark beer, From my home made wooden tankard.

I'm slowly working on a business for it, i know many of the things about the sweet brews. Not a fan of hopps though, i try to brew with herbal alternatives that give all the benefits without the downsides and attempt some historical accuracy to the old ales that predate hops.

I'm no fan of light beers, and lager is like sex in a canoe (that's not a good thing, although it sounds like it) I've never liked lager. Soon i need to start my next brew for the christmas / new year drinkies, running a bit late... all mi herbs are dead though, shoulda dried some.

Keep us informed on your future business endeavors. I am all about alternatives to hops. I like hops but I love brews that are closer to the origination of alcohol. I really enjoy a good mead when the local specialty store gets them in.
CCP Aporia
C C P
C C P Alliance
#39 - 2013-11-29 18:39:39 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Sonkut wrote:

Keep us informed on your future business endeavors. I am all about alternatives to hops. I like hops but I love brews that are closer to the origination of alcohol. I really enjoy a good mead when the local specialty store gets them in.

Beer without hops? Sure, the flavour and bitterness can be achieved differently, but why would you want any other preservatives for your beer than hops?

Friend of walking avatars, currently hibernating until he gets to open that door.

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#40 - 2013-11-29 22:26:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
CCP Aporia wrote:

Beer without hops? Sure, the flavour and bitterness can be achieved differently, but why would you want any other preservatives for your beer than hops?

I don't know...maybe it has to do with wanting to taste other flavors from styles of alcohol that significantly pre date hops usage.

EDIT: and when I say predate I am talking @3000 years. That is a lot of alcohol to just write off Blink