These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Beer Online

First post First post
Author
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#201 - 2014-09-01 10:13:48 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
Does anyone here have experience when it comes to sending beer to iceland, from within europe?

I don't know about beer, but I know that basically all packages sent to us are scrutinised at customs, so they need to be clearly marked with "gift" (and even then, I still have no idea about the legality or regulations surrounding it)

Why do you ask? Big smileLolBig smileLolBig smileLolBig smileLolCoolBear

CCP Goliath | QA Director | EVE Illuminati | @CCP_Goliath

Wey'oun
Pandemic Legion
#202 - 2014-09-01 10:24:54 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:
Does anyone here have experience when it comes to sending beer to iceland, from within europe?

I don't know about beer, but I know that basically all packages sent to us are scrutinised at customs, so they need to be clearly marked with "gift" (and even then, I still have no idea about the legality or regulations surrounding it)

He probably figures that being on a rock in the middle of nowhere means you are being neglected with substandard local beer. However after drinking a few to many pints of Egils Sterkur ( think that was the name of it) I would have to disagree...
CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#203 - 2014-09-01 10:29:01 UTC
Wey'oun wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:

He probably figures that being on a rock in the middle of nowhere means you are being neglected with substandard local beer. However after drinking a few to many pints of Egils Sterkur ( think that was the name of it) I would have to disagree...

Buddy I hate to break it to you but I'm pretty sure that's the Icelandic equivalent of superlager...

Wey'oun
Pandemic Legion
#204 - 2014-09-01 10:57:52 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Wey'oun wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:

Buddy I hate to break it to you but I'm pretty sure that's the Icelandic equivalent of superlager...

That explains alot.... Rocketfuel!!!!
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#205 - 2014-09-02 16:23:34 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:

I tried sending beer from Germany to the USA once and the entire package vanished off the face of the earth.

Hope customs enjoyed it.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

vynok
Sub Par.
#206 - 2014-09-04 04:42:51 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
OK so this one from here is touting "pumpkin pie in a bottle" - but is this dark enough? I like my Halloweens dark you see.

Quote:
Pumpkin Ale

This beer is a seasonal favorite. It dates back to a time when real beer ingredients were rare and people played a game called “Will It Ferment”, and this one did. Surprisingly, this beer is pretty good, like Pumpkin Pie in a bottle.

7 lbs Light Malt Extract
6 lbs Pumpkin Meat
1 lbs Carapils Malt
1 oz Cascade Hops 7 HBUs (Boiling) 60 min
3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
Wyeast American Ale Yeast

For Bottling:
1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar

Add the cracked Carapils Malt to 2 gals. of cold water and bring to a boil. Remove the Carapils Malt and add the LIght Malt Extract then bring back to a boil. Add 1 oz Cascade hops. Boil for 30 mins. Add 6 lbs of Pumpkin Meat. (see preperations below) Boil for 20 mins. Stir often. Add the Ground Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, and Nutmeg. Boil for 10 mins. Sparge out the hops and pumpkin (it will be messy) and add the wort to the fermenter with enough cold water to make five gallons. Add yeast when temp reaches 70º. After 7 days transfer to secondary. Let age in secondary for 1 week then bottle or keg.

For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract or 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket. Age for 2 weeks.

Pumpkin preperation: Use an 8 lb pumpkin. Wash off the dirt, cut it in half, and remove the seeds and stringy muck. Peel the outer rind and cut the meat into 3” pieces. It’s now ready for the boil.

I suppose dropping to 5 lbs light malt extract and replace it with 2 lbs molasses might do the trick?

I would suggest adding 1/2 pound carafa 2, 1/2 pound crystal 60L, 1/2 of chocolate malt. For the pumpkins half em, seed em, season em up with a bit of brown sugar, nutmeg, all spice and cinnamon then toast em at about 325-350 degrees F till they get nice and carmelly but make sure they are still a bit firm. After you toast them up and they have cooled slice them into 1-2 inch cubes then through them in the freezer till the day before brew day then pull them out and make sure they thaw. As far as the spices in the recipe you found abovei would through them in at flame out then taste after it has gone into secondary and if you think it need more make a spice tea and add it to the secondary. gotta be careful with spice a little to much goes a long ways. Ohh also you may want to adding in a vanilla bean or 2 with about 5 minutes left in the boil. Also my experiance with molasses is it can sometimes impart a bit of a mineral taste may want to nix it all together. the above malts should make the beer blacker then a hookers heart.
Herzog Wolfhammer
#207 - 2014-09-04 05:37:55 UTC
vynok wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
OK so this one from here is touting "pumpkin pie in a bottle" - but is this dark enough? I like my Halloweens dark you see.

Quote:
Pumpkin Ale

This beer is a seasonal favorite. It dates back to a time when real beer ingredients were rare and people played a game called “Will It Ferment”, and this one did. Surprisingly, this beer is pretty good, like Pumpkin Pie in a bottle.

7 lbs Light Malt Extract
6 lbs Pumpkin Meat
1 lbs Carapils Malt
1 oz Cascade Hops 7 HBUs (Boiling) 60 min
3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
Wyeast American Ale Yeast

For Bottling:
1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar

Add the cracked Carapils Malt to 2 gals. of cold water and bring to a boil. Remove the Carapils Malt and add the LIght Malt Extract then bring back to a boil. Add 1 oz Cascade hops. Boil for 30 mins. Add 6 lbs of Pumpkin Meat. (see preperations below) Boil for 20 mins. Stir often. Add the Ground Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, and Nutmeg. Boil for 10 mins. Sparge out the hops and pumpkin (it will be messy) and add the wort to the fermenter with enough cold water to make five gallons. Add yeast when temp reaches 70º. After 7 days transfer to secondary. Let age in secondary for 1 week then bottle or keg.

For bottling, use 1 1/4 cup of dry malt extract or 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled with 2 cups of water added in the bottling bucket. Age for 2 weeks.

Pumpkin preperation: Use an 8 lb pumpkin. Wash off the dirt, cut it in half, and remove the seeds and stringy muck. Peel the outer rind and cut the meat into 3” pieces. It’s now ready for the boil.

I suppose dropping to 5 lbs light malt extract and replace it with 2 lbs molasses might do the trick?

I would suggest adding 1/2 pound carafa 2, 1/2 pound crystal 60L, 1/2 of chocolate malt. For the pumpkins half em, seed em, season em up with a bit of brown sugar, nutmeg, all spice and cinnamon then toast em at about 325-350 degrees F till they get nice and carmelly but make sure they are still a bit firm. After you toast them up and they have cooled slice them into 1-2 inch cubes then through them in the freezer till the day before brew day then pull them out and make sure they thaw. As far as the spices in the recipe you found abovei would through them in at flame out then taste after it has gone into secondary and if you think it need more make a spice tea and add it to the secondary. gotta be careful with spice a little to much goes a long ways. Ohh also you may want to adding in a vanilla bean or 2 with about 5 minutes left in the boil. Also my experiance with molasses is it can sometimes impart a bit of a mineral taste may want to nix it all together. the above malts should make the beer blacker then a hookers heart.

Shocked

My opinion on the mods you suggested

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Gregor Parud
Imperial Academy
#208 - 2014-09-05 13:39:30 UTC
I don't drink alcohol at all, not because of health reasons or anything but I just don't like the taste. And as I never fell for any sort of peer pressure I didn't start drinking it at a young age either. I took a sip but didn't like it so I stopped, tried again a few months later, still didn't like it do simply decided to not bother. It's the same reason why I don't smoke; it's not nice and I wasn't interested in trying to impress anyone.

Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#209 - 2014-09-05 18:05:10 UTC
Gregor Parud wrote:
I don't drink alcohol at all, not because of health reasons or anything but I just don't like the taste. And as I never fell for any sort of peer pressure I didn't start drinking it at a young age either. I took a sip but didn't like it so I stopped, tried again a few months later, still didn't like it do simply decided to not bother. It's the same reason why I don't smoke; it's not nice and I wasn't interested in trying to impress anyone.

Shocked

Have you seen a doctor about this?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#210 - 2014-09-05 18:08:26 UTC
May I humbly recommend Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter?

I am a big porter fan in general, and I found this to be quite nice.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

CCP Goliath
C C P
C C P Alliance
#211 - 2014-09-06 09:01:18 UTC
So last night we really got into my cider and Sledgehammer's first effort at a lager (which is SUPERB). Mainly making this post to prompt Sledgehammer to write about his lager, and also to see if I can get any sympathy because my head is pounding Twisted

Herzog Wolfhammer
#212 - 2014-09-06 17:46:02 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:
So last night we really got into my cider and Sledgehammer's first effort at a lager (which is SUPERB). Mainly making this post to prompt Sledgehammer to write about his lager, and also to see if I can get any sympathy because my head is pounding Twisted

Sledgehammer, pounding.... I think there's a name for this lager brewing...

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Derrick Miles
Death Rabbit Ky Oneida
#213 - 2014-09-06 18:44:55 UTC
CCP Goliath wrote:

I can absolutely commiserate with the head-pounding, you have my sincere sympathies. The price paid for enjoying the good stuff. Big smile
CCP Sledgehammer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#214 - 2014-09-06 20:43:30 UTC
Oh man. So drunk. Sign of a drinkable beer. Yeah, for my first attempt at a lager it came out far better than I'd imagined. CCP Anitquarian exclaimed "You've made a beer! A genuine, beer flavoured beer!" Used WLP 810 - San Francisco Lager yeast by WhiteLabs. Has an excellent caramel nose to it and no popcorn notes at all. Here's the recipe:

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 23.72 l
Post Boil Volume: 21.67 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.00 l
Bottling Volume: 16.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 22.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 1 77.8 %
0.70 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 2 15.6 %
0.30 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 6.7 %
15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 23.9 IBUs
10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 12.2 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.4 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) Yeast 8 -

Graphical QA Analyst | EVE Quality Assurance | Team TriLambda

Herzog Wolfhammer
#215 - 2014-09-07 20:32:59 UTC
CCP Sledgehammer wrote:
Oh man. So drunk. Sign of a drinkable beer. Yeah, for my first attempt at a lager it came out far better than I'd imagined. CCP Anitquarian exclaimed "You've made a beer! A genuine, beer flavoured beer!" Used WLP 810 - San Francisco Lager yeast by WhiteLabs. Has an excellent caramel nose to it and no popcorn notes at all. Here's the recipe:

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 23.72 l
Post Boil Volume: 21.67 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.00 l
Bottling Volume: 16.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 22.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 1 77.8 %
0.70 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 2 15.6 %
0.30 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 6.7 %
15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 23.9 IBUs
10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 12.2 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.4 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) Yeast 8 -

Ah that moment cracking open the first bottle and wondering if all went well or if you're stuck with a few dozen bottles of liquid ass.

Glad it went well for you and thanks for sharing that.

I be heading to the brew store today for "Project Pumpkin". Twisted

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

CyBorn
Chevauchee Sojourn
#216 - 2014-09-07 22:24:01 UTC
Greg Valanti wrote:
Highly advise anyone in the NJ/NY/PA area of the US to check out anything by Carton Brewing if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm in NYC, why the recommendation?? Lol
CyBorn
Chevauchee Sojourn
#217 - 2014-09-07 22:26:55 UTC
Pumpkin Ale brew day is tomorrow all! I will let you know how she goes. I'm using organic caned pumpkin, real ones aren't in season just yet, but its still all natural.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#218 - 2014-09-08 23:29:07 UTC
Zwickelbier best beer.

Also some random observation. Only the first 4-6 beers have to be of high quality, after that it does not really matter anymore and you can as well drink the cheap stuff Big smile
Herzog Wolfhammer
#219 - 2014-09-17 08:31:03 UTC
CyBorn wrote:
Pumpkin Ale brew day is tomorrow all! I will let you know how she goes. I'm using organic caned pumpkin, real ones aren't in season just yet, but its still all natural.

Couple of days ago I managed to find some pie pumpkins, earliest I ever seen them though Washington has had a specially warm summer. When I raised pumpkins I remember them not being ready so early in September but there's a lot of micro climates around here.

Now I have everything I need.... Twisted

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Herzog Wolfhammer
#220 - 2014-09-23 16:45:17 UTC
Black Pumpkin brew engaged. Thanks for the advice.

We have fermentation.... All other signs nominal.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!