These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Marmite Collective Wardeccing... for a good cause ? Really ?

First post First post
Author
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#161 - 2013-11-27 18:57:15 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

If, however, people don't follow through on their word with this and the proceeds don't go to PLEX for GOOD as promised, then there'll be issues, because it's regarded as a scam.

This strikes me as the key issue. Is Marmite collecting the ransom directly and then contributing towards PLEX FOR GOOD, or are they asking for their targets to do so in leiu of ransom?

I feel like in either case the possibility for a scam exists. Marmite could use the issue as a way to encourage ransoms, meaning they get an advantage by using the issue. That would make not following through a 'scam.' If the ransom is paid in ISK and marmite has to convert isk to PLEX first, then the issues of price variations in the market come up.

On the other hand, if as the defender in a war, if i trick Marmite into thinking I've made a donation, suddenly is CCP the guarantor of their ransom and responsible for enforcing that I haven't lied? Generally if lying gets your wartargets to leave you alone, then thats okay. But does this mean suddenly i've scammed marmite out of their ransom because I've deprived the philipenes of one more PLEX?

If I just go around falsely claiming that I donated to PLEX for good, does that in and of itself constitute a scam? What If I'm separately isk-begging, but at no point do I claim that donated isk will go towards PLEX for good?

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#162 - 2013-11-27 19:10:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Batelle wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:

If, however, people don't follow through on their word with this and the proceeds don't go to PLEX for GOOD as promised, then there'll be issues, because it's regarded as a scam.

This strikes me as the key issue. Is Marmite collecting the ransom directly and then contributing towards PLEX FOR GOOD, or are they asking for their targets to do so in leiu of ransom?

I feel like in either case the possibility for a scam exists. Marmite could use the issue as a way to encourage ransoms, meaning they get an advantage by using the issue. That would make not following through a 'scam.' If the ransom is paid in ISK and marmite has to convert isk to PLEX first, then the issues of price variations in the market come up.

On the other hand, if as the defender in a war, if i trick Marmite into thinking I've made a donation, suddenly is CCP the guarantor of their ransom and responsible for enforcing that I haven't lied? Generally if lying gets your wartargets to leave you alone, then thats okay. But does this mean suddenly i've scammed marmite out of their ransom because I've deprived the philipenes of one more PLEX?

If I just go around falsely claiming that I donated to PLEX for good, does that in and of itself constitute a scam? What If I'm separately isk-begging, but at no point do I claim that donated isk will go towards PLEX for good?

That's an awful lot of extremely bizarre what it's for such a little fella. Smile

As stated before in most cases the ransom payer will simply buy a PLEX with ISK and donate it via contract to the PLEX for Good character created for this purpose by CCP. All Marmite has to do to confirm this is to check their contract history.

Simple as can be.

If they collect a smaller amount directly (for those that could not afford a whole PLEX) as they said they were willing to do they simply accumulate the ISK and buy a PLEX or send it through one of the various 3rd party services doing the same thing. All of which is easily checked by CCP.

In your last question, if you are simply ISK begging and make no mention of PLEX for Good... quite frankly no one cares.

Far fetched what if scenarios can be addictive... and also tend to be a silly and annoying waste of everyone's time.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#163 - 2013-11-27 19:18:45 UTC
Not really seeing the problem here. Since scamming in relation to P4G is verboten, for just about the first time ever ransom payers can be assured that the deal will be honored.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#164 - 2013-11-27 19:20:06 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

As stated before in most cases the ransom payer will simply buy a PLEX with ISK and donate it via contract to the PLEX for Good character created for this purpose by CCP. All Marmite has to do to confirm this is to check their contract history.

Simple as can be.

If they collect a smaller amount directly (for those that could not afford a whole PLEX) as they said they were willing to do they simply accumulate the ISK and buy a PLEX or send it through one of the various 3rd party services doing the same thing. All of which is easily checked by CCP.

In your last question, if you are simply ISK begging and make no mention of PLEX for Good... quite frankly no one cares.

Silly what if scenarios can be addictive... and also tend to be a silly and annoying waste of everyone's time.

You are suggesting an ideal world that Eve isn't.

This applies to anyone/corp/alliance that extorts in the name of P4G and not just Marmite (who might do the right thing). The potential for easy scamming is so obvious I am surprised that you can not see it, did you come straight from the bonus room?
Alliria Seedspawn
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#165 - 2013-11-27 19:24:25 UTC
I do not understand why we have 9 pages on this nonsense. It seems quite simple to me. High sec wars are acceptable, as are ransoms. That's all this is - a predetermined ransom to a war.

There is nothing saying that you have to pay it, and there is nothing stopping you from fighting. If you don't want to fight, then don't. You can drop corp, create a new corp, move to a new corp, go NPC. It's no secret that all corporations / alliances are subject to a declaration of war at any time. The only way to avoid war is NPC - again, no secret.

Even if Marmite collected the isk and didn't donate to the plex campaign, I don't see why that's an issue. So you were scammed...big deal. Scams happen everyday. They're not claiming to be someone their not, and it's up to you to decide whether or not to trust them.

Why is this such a hot topic? It's a simple ransom...
Karrl Tian
Doomheim
#166 - 2013-11-27 19:27:08 UTC
Uh-oh, somebody's out there decing people for fun and profit. CCP better raise the costs/nerf aggression again for the sake of the new players.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#167 - 2013-11-27 19:28:06 UTC
Pap Uhotih wrote:

This applies to anyone/corp/alliance that extorts in the name of P4G and not just Marmite (who might do the right thing). The potential for easy scamming is so obvious I am surprised that you can not see it, did you come straight from the bonus room?

The very tiny minority that will try to scam using this will be dealt with.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#168 - 2013-11-27 19:30:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Pap Uhotih wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Simple as can be.

Silly what if scenarios can be addictive... and also tend to be a silly and annoying waste of everyone's time.

/facepalm.

Seriously, think about it.

If someone runs a scam on you, or imitates Marmites creative extortion, in the name of PLEX for GOOD you'll make an inquiry to CCP via petition or make a thread here about it to raise attention.

A few people try to scam for personal gain every time one of the PLEX for good events happens, and subsequently get reported, investigated, and banned. In fact, a few days ago someone created a PLEX for GOOD character in an NPC corp and was reported immediately.

Direct ISK transfers and convo logs are extremely easy for CCP to investigate when they have a reporting party giving them all the details of time/characters involved/etc. necessary to quickly locate the event in question.

Anyone trying to actually scam one of these events is a rank amateur, because everyone else is aware of how ridiculously easy it would be to get caught and banned.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#169 - 2013-11-27 19:33:52 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Pap Uhotih wrote:

Yes, they will add '&P4G' to the end of the standard 'all incidents of extortion in Eve' query and magically find them. Where do you guys buy you foil hats?

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#170 - 2013-11-27 19:34:38 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

Corporate extortion via demand for payment to cease hostilities is a valid game mechanic.

If this valid game mechanic is being used as a method of raising ISK for a good cause, then CCP will not intervene.

Pretty much what I said a few pages ago.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#171 - 2013-11-27 19:38:20 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

That's an awful lot of extremely bizarre what it's for such a little fella. Smile

Simple as can be.

Far fetched what if scenarios can be addictive... and also tend to be a silly and annoying waste of everyone's time.

Good point on contract linking. But no need to be dismissive, the post was intended to be about thought-provoking what-ifs and the other implications of CCP's prohibition of PLEX for good related scamming. Once you get beyond the model of "give me isk and I will donate it." type of scam and into a situation where people treat you differently because you've donated, then you can gain value by claiming to have donated without actually scamming people for money. I thought the whole notion was interesting.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#172 - 2013-11-27 19:45:17 UTC
Batelle wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Simple as can be.

Good point on contract linking. But no need to be dismissive, the post was intended to be about thought-provoking what-ifs and the other implications of CCP's prohibition of PLEX for good related scamming. Once you get beyond the model of "give me isk and I will donate it." type of scam and into a situation where people treat you differently because you've donated, then you can gain value by claiming to have donated without actually scamming people for money. I thought the whole notion was interesting.

I see where you are coming from, but frankly if it doesn't involve a money/isk/or goods transfer that is directly linked with the PLEX for Good effort I think it's all fair game.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#173 - 2013-11-27 19:49:46 UTC
Pap Uhotih wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Pap Uhotih wrote:

Yes, they will add '&P4G' to the end of the standard 'all incidents of extortion in Eve' query and magically find them. Where do you guys buy you foil hats?

Or go to the exact interaction that the "Scam" victims petition points them to.

As a side note, I find your "Reality Blinders" quite fashionable. Smile

Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#174 - 2013-11-27 20:42:08 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

Or go to the exact interaction that the "Scam" victims petition points them to.

A trust based scam has the advantage that a victim does not realise that they are a victim, they never complain. If someone trusts the third party enough to 'not shoot' and hands over the cash then there will never be a petition but there will be a scam if the cash is not passed on to the good cause.
The victim will never know if the cash is passed on or not but trusts that it has been because they weren't shot, the scammer demonstrated that they are a 'man' of their word. That requires CCP to be proactive in hunting the scam rather than reactive by expecting petitions.

If CCP had said that no one (with noted exceptions) may act as a third party for P4G then everyone knows what to report, it is simple and straight forward, an obvious line not to cross. That would not stop a corp/alliance from having an operation or campaign that donated its proceeds to a good cause but it would stop 'give me x and I'll pass it on, honest'.

Given CCP's recent history of scam spotting the 'throw caution to the wind' approach to charitable donations is a little odd. Allowing people to obtain isk/Plex in the name of Plex for good on the basis that they can be trusted to pass it on is an entirely unnecessary risk.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#175 - 2013-11-27 20:47:46 UTC
Pap Uhotih wrote:
That requires CCP to be proactive in hunting the scam rather than reactive by expecting petitions.

I find it cute how you just automatically jump to the conclusion that they're not.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Shadow Love
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#176 - 2013-11-27 21:09:56 UTC
So... you're getting a discount to end a war, and the proceeds goto a worthy irl cause.

win/win?

I think this is what the forums refer to as "Emergent Gameplay".

If you want to roleplay it, just pretend the Marmite Collective is trying to offset some of the SOE's costs in their efforts helping those displaced by Sansha's Incursions. There, now everyones happy.
Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#177 - 2013-11-27 21:34:44 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Pap Uhotih wrote:
That requires CCP to be proactive in hunting the scam rather than reactive by expecting petitions.

I find it cute how you just automatically jump to the conclusion that they're not.

I guess it can look that way if you pluck it from its context. I hadn't actually described all of Eve online and had assumed you would realise the limitations of the scenario that I was attempting to operate within.

In broader terms CCP would/should be able to find the greedy, everything is a pattern and so long as you fit or deviate from one you'll stand out in some way. Unless you aren't greedy or are statistically insignificant. CCP don't suddenly have additional resources to police the game due to a bad happening somewhere in the world.
Alternatively you can save a shed load on your power bill if you give people a clear Boolean type definition of right and wrong to work with and let them do the hard work instead. As far as I am aware it was people and not CCP using obvious queries that first spotted the alternative spelling donation chars, the clear right/wrong let that be detected and dealt with. The players posses far greater resources than CCP to detect scams in this area and all CCP need to do is obey K.I.S.S. and yet they have chosen not to.
Danalee
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#178 - 2013-11-27 21:59:20 UTC
Pap Uhotih wrote:

I guess it can look that way if you pluck it from its context. I hadn't actually described all of Eve online and had assumed you would realise the limitations of the scenario that I was attempting to operate within.

In broader terms CCP would/should be able to find the greedy, everything is a pattern and so long as you fit or deviate from one you'll stand out in some way. Unless you aren't greedy or are statistically insignificant. CCP don't suddenly have additional resources to police the game due to a bad happening somewhere in the world.
Alternatively you can save a shed load on your power bill if you give people a clear Boolean type definition of right and wrong to work with and let them do the hard work instead. As far as I am aware it was people and not CCP using obvious queries that first spotted the alternative spelling donation chars, the clear right/wrong let that be detected and dealt with. The players posses far greater resources than CCP to detect scams in this area and all CCP need to do is obey K.I.S.S. and yet they have chosen not to.

Methinks you are the one reading to much in things, really.
Step back and read what you wrote.

CCP Falcon:
Quote:

I've spoken with the GM Team regarding this, and the decision is quite simple.
Corporate extortion via demand for payment to cease hostilities is a valid game mechanic.
If this valid game mechanic is being used as a method of raising ISK for a good cause, then CCP will not intervene.

Real World:
Quote:

You can't steal from people. If we catch you stealing, you'll be banned from the communicty.

Seems legit, no?

D.

Bear

Proud member of the Somalian Coast Guard Authority

Member and Juror of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#179 - 2013-11-27 22:00:34 UTC
Not much to add here, as most things have been said. Remember this is not a Marmite post. try to forget Marmite for now and do what is right, even if you are a bad-ass in game. We wont tell anyone.... your soft side will be safe with us. The offer to end a war (not being a paid dec) also counts for all other war decs we have (could be a cheap way for you to get out Blink). Consult me first before you donate that plex to good to end a war.

CCP, you better donate for PFG....... we are coming after you..... [insert evil laughter].... Twisted

We have raised billions so far from our own members, which will also be used for PFG. So you see, even war decs can help make a better world. Group hug anyone ? \o/

Keep up the good work BKM !

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#180 - 2013-11-27 22:07:45 UTC
Good to see Marimite is learning what we in the New Order have learned. You can gank someone for lolz and maybe get tears. But gank them for a reason and its Katy bar the door on the tear tsunami. The pilots who just gank "for fun" are really missing out. So now Marimite wardecs with a purpose and glorious tears are the immediate result. Take note scallywags of New Eden.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."