These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Anyne know the origins of 'ratting' name ?

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#21 - 2013-11-25 16:01:08 UTC
“Ratting” as a term to grind hordes of small and useless NPCs goes way back in the history of computer RPGs.
The whole “pirate” thing sounds more like a backformation to make this old term fit within a new environment where there are no rodents to kill for 10 XP + 1 gold each.
Jythier Smith
BGG Wolves
#22 - 2013-11-25 16:08:07 UTC
Wanted to be the first person to answer this correctly, but many already have!

Rats.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#23 - 2013-11-25 16:08:49 UTC
culo duro wrote:
Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:
I always thought it was a callback to RPG terms. Just like using 'rooms' for complexes. Killing ten rats is a classic RPG quest.

The 'classic' MMOs that i have played never used the expression "rats". They rather called them mobs (for monsters) or creeps. I have never played WoW though.

No one would admit if they did on these forums.

sure I would. But its typical to bad-mouth wow in the same sentence.

Rat in Eve = Mob in any other MMO.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#24 - 2013-11-25 16:18:19 UTC
Batelle wrote:
I don't know…

…wasn't the point of mobs that they could follow you from room to room (hence “mobile”)? EVE rats don't really do that.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#25 - 2013-11-25 16:31:55 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Batelle wrote:
I don't know…

…wasn't the point of mobs that they could follow you from room to room (hence “mobile”)? EVE rats don't really do that.

More likely related to the mobs of them you can form and destroy because of the relative power level of an player character toward NPC.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#26 - 2013-11-25 16:48:50 UTC
Ive heard that players close to going up a level would say "I'm going to go kill some rats to level up" and that quickly became "I'm going ratting."

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#27 - 2013-11-25 16:57:07 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Batelle wrote:
I don't know…

Technically (if I remember my RPG days of yonder), what you describe is a roaming or prowling monster (some really ebil ones even hunt players down).

Mobiles are simply anything that can move around at all.

And in the moo/mud case they are actually objects and not just fancy text in the room description.

But caveat emptor, I haven't played either board RPGs nor moo/mud for like 10-15 years and at my age I'm allowed to both ramble about and forget stuff.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#28 - 2013-11-25 22:21:28 UTC
Apologies, but it reminds me of Haggle:

"Rats everywhere. Everywhere I see rats. Always looking at me with their beady little eyes. I show them. I show them all."

"Rat-kabobs! Get your tasty rat-kabobs! Get them while they're hot!"

"In the trash...always in the trash...that's where the money is!"
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#29 - 2013-11-25 22:33:10 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Technically (if I remember my RPG days of yonder), what you describe is a roaming or prowling monster (some really ebil ones even hunt players down).

Mobiles are simply anything that can move around at all.
Yeah, maybe. I can't say that the lingo is up to snuff 20 years after having last played one of those games. Lol
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-11-25 23:14:08 UTC
When I first heard of eve, I pictured the rats one PCGamer reviewer once complained about having to kill dozens of in his Everquest review.

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-11-26 01:08:21 UTC
In ancient muds killing rats for gold (knowing that the rats were absolutely no danger to the player) was a thing that people would automate.

Eve online PVE being so goddamn boring and impossible to lose harkens back to the days of whacking a rat to get your gold.
Steven Alfrir
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-11-29 03:27:08 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
In ancient muds killing rats for gold (knowing that the rats were absolutely no danger to the player) was a thing that people would automate.

Eve online PVE being so goddamn boring and impossible to lose harkens back to the days of whacking a rat to get your gold.

Impossible to lose? I warped to a Angel Hideaway and got my first Rifter trashed because there just happened to be 10+ rats and 2 x sentry guns and i couldn'y kill them fast enough so my ship got destroyed along with all the fitted modules.

I like crazy plans

Ryhss
#33 - 2013-11-29 03:31:02 UTC
culo duro wrote:
Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:
I always thought it was a callback to RPG terms. Just like using 'rooms' for complexes. Killing ten rats is a classic RPG quest.

The 'classic' MMOs that i have played never used the expression "rats". They rather called them mobs (for monsters) or creeps. I have never played WoW though.

No one would admit if they did on these forums.

I played WoW. Hated every minute of my 42 levels. My roommate at the time played it.

I just turned into an egg, did I level up? I spent an hour trying to salvage a wreck, when in local a guy said "Stop it, this is my Tempest, I was AFK"

Garandras
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2013-11-29 03:47:32 UTC
Yeah ratting is a tearm from Old MMO's..

I know a played a few text based ones back in the day.. where Ratting was a common tearm
Faenir Antollare
For Ever And Ever
#35 - 2013-11-29 07:50:35 UTC
Fairly sure the term "Ratting" predates any computer game as such, as a child in the early 70`s we would use the term to describe "the hunting of...." as in basically anything we got up to in our play.
Football is a very good example of this (where the term is still commonly used) and would be the one word slang description of when chasing and pressing the ball. Stanley Collymore (a presenter on TalkSport radio) can be regularly heard using the term during match commentary.
Just a commonly used phrase with good adaptability that has enjoyed great longevity :)

RiP BooBoo 26/7/1971 - 23/7/2014 My Lady My Love My Life My Wife

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#36 - 2013-11-29 07:56:11 UTC
Fr3akwave wrote:
Pezazz wrote:

back in the 90's 'mobs' was short for mobile creatures in most muds

i always though 'creeps' was an rts and then a moba term ??
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#37 - 2013-11-29 11:34:10 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
NPC Pirates.

Pirates.

Pi-"rat"-es.

Rats.

why not mice? they are both vermin, and anoying things that fly around and hassle humans are vermin!

not talking about legit human pirates though cause they can go yarrrrr, a npc cannot
Jove Death
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2013-11-29 11:40:46 UTC
They should be called TiT

Look guys theres a couple of big TiT's over there aswell as a small pair.

Or in certain missions "omfg were agast with tit's

Quoting "you will die" in EvE is fail Chars dont die in EvE. Unless you have a heart attack eek.

Previous page12