These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

We expect CSM members who lack integrity to be removed.

First post First post First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#101 - 2013-11-25 15:47:33 UTC
Because there are never singular positions you find so untenable they negate anything else you might have agreed with.
I didn't agree with him on everything, and for most things that was perfectly fine. That one was a dealbreaker.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#102 - 2013-11-25 15:52:11 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Because there are never singular positions you find so untenable they negate anything else you might have agreed with.

Precisely. I'm glad you understand.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#103 - 2013-11-25 15:54:16 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Pretending you don't recognize sarcasm doesn't get any of us anywhere.

Benny Ohu wrote:
I didn't suggest that. But bringing up Malcanis' position on SOMER has no bearing on the current discussion.

I misinterpreted this thread as an open discussion on his actions in general, not just the recent non-incident. Admittedly this was a mistake. I have a tendency to bring up side issues in discussions that I think are relevant but which really aren't. I'm working on it.

There's not really much that I could say about OP or his crusade that hasn't already been said. Nothing Malcanis said was worth of any response more drastic than an eyeroll emoticon.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#104 - 2013-11-25 16:21:08 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You're all defending someone who took CCP's side in the SOMERgate debacle. Keep that in mind.

Idk about "took their side" so much as told us "regardless of what you might think about it, they had the right to do it". At least that's what I got out of his post on the matter.

Once again, telling it like it is, whether it's what I want to hear or not. Or at least how he sees it.

Whether he's a **** or not is not in question. Unequivocally, he definitely is. But so am I. So are a lot of people, EVE players in particular.

This is why I'm starting the Malcanis CSM4Life Political Action Group. Malcanis, our man in Reykjavik. He promises a State Raven in every hanger!

I`d vote again for Malc because I think he has the right attitude by telling things the way they are.

Jenn aSide wrote:
(paid for by the committee to re-elect Malcanis that is absolutely positively not paid for by Somer Blink or it's affiliates also we did not have sex with that woman depending on what you call "sex", Inc.)

WAT?
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2013-11-25 16:25:00 UTC  |  Edited by: KuroVolt
OP just wants to get a CSM member removed, just so he can say *I was responsible for this, I meant something*

Pathetic.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#106 - 2013-11-25 16:31:01 UTC
There's a difference between kissing his ass and saying "you're dumb for still being mad about this."

Xavier Higdon
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#107 - 2013-11-25 16:36:50 UTC
Let me first apologize for the fact that I couldn't be bothered to read the entirety of this thread. It is a terrible mess of people upset over someone being upset and after the first couple of posts I couldn't continue.

So, on to the point. OP, the person you are "standing up for" is irrelevant. If they cannot stand being made fun of then they should most certainly avoid the internet. I'm going to be made fun of for making this post. The **** storm that will likely arise from my next couple of statements will be epic. That doesn't stop me from voicing my opinions, though I do trend towards having much more informed opinions than the poster you're defending. Their idea was terrible, and they should have done a bit of research before posting such things, but that's still secondary to the fact that they are irrelevant.

Next, Malcanis is irrelevant to everybody except his supporters, friends and followers. If the person you're defending doesn't fall into one of those three categories, why do they care what he says? They can just continue playing EvE Online while hating him, ignoring him or trying to make him miserable. If they were a supporter, friend or follower then I understand that they might be upset at being insulted by someone they like, respect or admire but that still doesn't change the fact that Malcanis is irrelevant.

Third, the Mittani is irrelevant to everybody except his supporters, friends and followers. Which one are you? Which one is the person you're defending? If, again, you don't fall into one of those three categories, then why do you care what he said in Iceland or in this thread?

The reality is that we are all irrelevant to everybody outside of our "cliques." My friends respect me, turn to me for advice and know that I wouldn't insult them. If I was to insult them, they would be understandably upset as it would be quite out of character for me. However, when they hear me insult someone else they do not care. The reason they do not care is because the person I'm insulting is irrelevant to them just as I am irrelevant to the person I am insulting. For someone to become so upset over the opinion of someone that shouldn't matter to them is a sure sign of an individual that feels themselves to be far more important than they truly are.

Honestly, if you do not like or respect Malcanis(which it is quite obvious that you don't) then why would you bother to make this thread except in an attempt to "take him down a notch." That is such a childish endeavor that it behooves me to inform you that you'll fail, as his friends and supporters will jump to his defense in an attempt to "take you down a notch." Sure, this proves that they are just as childish as you, but that only means that your argument with them will never end as you will both stand your ground screaming for mommy because the other one hit you first. Grow up. If you feel such hatred towards someone through a video game, you should probably avoid them at all costs as it will have a very negative impact on your real life. This is unhealthy, and you should immediately stop and reconsider the direction you're heading in.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#108 - 2013-11-25 17:19:08 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD LackOfFaith
Quote:

2. Be respectful toward others at all times.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to be courteous when disagreeing with others.

3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.

4. Personal attacks are prohibited.

Commonly known as flaming, personal attacks are posts that are designed to personally berate or insult another forum user. Posts of this nature are not beneficial to the community spirit that CCP promote and as such they will not be tolerated.

5. Trolling is prohibited.

Trolling is a defined as a post that is deliberately designed for the purpose of angering and insulting other players in an attempt to incite retaliation or an emotional response. Posts of this nature are disruptive, often abusive and do not contribute to the sense of community that CCP promote.

7. Use of profanity is prohibited.

The use of profanity is prohibited on the EVE Online forums. This includes the partial masking of letters using numbers or alternate symbols, and any attempts at bypassing the profanity filter.

12. Spamming is prohibited.

Spam is defined as the repetitive posting of the same topic or nonsensical post that has no substance and is often designed to annoy other forum users. This can include the words “first”, “go back to [insert other game name]” and other such posts that contribute no value to forum discussion. Spamming also includes the posting of ASCII art within a forum post.

22. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

26. Off-topic posting is prohibited.

Off-topic posting is permitted within reason, as sometimes a single comment may color or lighten the tone of discussion. However, excessive posting of off-topic remarks in an attempt to derail a thread may result in the thread being locked, or a forum warning being issued.

28. Please use the correct language when posting on the forums.

The default language for posting on the EVE Online forums is English. Please use English when posting as a courtesy to other forum users, unless the forum channel is specifically created for discussion in another language as part of our localized language specific sub-forums.

Cleaned up the thread according to the above forum rules. Please stay courteous, on-topic, and constructive.

Also, a reminder: the forum rules are not equivalent to the EULA or ToS. While the CSM white-paper does state harsh consequences for overstepping the EULA/ToS, it does not address forum rule adherence. To my knowledge, you can troll and get banned from the forums without breaching EULA/ToS.

Lastly, while taking screenshots of forum posts as "proof" they were not edited is certainly not disallowed, keep in mind that webpages are very easily modified, and because of that, said screenshots are very easy to falsify. Like this, for example.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#109 - 2013-11-25 18:11:18 UTC
I will say this again Malc is like Rob Ford.

you might not like what they have to say or how they act. But that’s not the reason they are in office. they are there to the best of their ability represent their constituents.

and to this i feel Malc has done a great job. Though i have to agree he was harsh for what he wrote though i do not think it crossed any line in the sand.

I will just leave it here. My dad always said that when you leave the house you do not just represent yourself you represent the family and how we are perceived. To that end i think that CSM should be more diplomatic when they respond to silly comments by players.

Remember just because you think an idea is stupid, the person making the suggestion might not understand all the variables and think that’s its entirely reasonable to make such a suggestion.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#110 - 2013-11-25 18:18:17 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:

Thuse icons/buttons beside names/corp/alliance look fun. I want them.
Clementina
University of Caille
#111 - 2013-11-25 18:28:37 UTC
We don't all get what we expect. For instance I expect silly alts who lack integrity to be removed, but alas it is not to be.
BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#112 - 2013-11-25 18:31:23 UTC  |  Edited by: BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
Mara Rinn wrote:
Orravan wrote:
How exactly writing "for the thousandth time", before explaining why the answered statement is wrong, is being agressive ?

Can you give me an example of where you'd be saying, "for the thousandth time…" to someone that it wasn't accompanied by eyerolling or a resigned sigh as you try to explain something to someone you consider to be as thick as two short planks? Is it a phrase that would be used in the normal course of a respectful discussion?

The explanation would have worked much better without that line. Well, unless Malcanis' purpose was to troll, in which case it has worked spectacularly with a bunch of folks taking it hook line and sinker. But then that's more grounds for the post to be removed (no trolling).

He was exasperated by yet another post by someone who doesn't understand how server and game mechanics work. I don't think anyone should blame him for that. Its not particularly nice, but no one asked him to be. However, ripping into someone when they express a distaste for this line was completely unacceptable. He could have easily ignored the comment and gone on his way, or referred the person to numerous other threads on the subject.

Instead he resorted to personal attacks. This should be unacceptable from someone who is in a position of authority within the community. It also served to derail the conversation from his well reasoned original post so instead of discussing alternative ideas for dealing with lage (ccps sucks and should beef up the servers isn't a solution), we're having a discussion on forum etiquette. I hope he'll keep this in mind in the future and keep the trolling in game.

Xavier Higdon wrote:
Stuff

While I don't agree with your conclusion (I hate have a thicker skin arguments, sorry). this was a funny read +1.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#113 - 2013-11-25 18:53:55 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
My lord, we're still mewling over Malcanis being a little bit impolite when dealing with the internet space equivalent of a flat earth society member?

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Asura Vajrarupa
Doomheim
#114 - 2013-11-25 18:57:19 UTC
I wish I could down vote things here.

Ignorance is the cause of suffering.

Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2013-11-25 19:13:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Desivo Delta Visseroff
I have given many likes in this thread. None of which were for the OP. I just read the "offending" thread and don't see the problem. Malcanis genuinely apologized to Ting Mei's sensitivities:

Quote:
I apologise unreservedly for hurting your feelings
and
Quote:
That was wrong of me.

I guess reading comprehension is secondary to thread rage.Cool So, here we are! Another white knight creating another.........thread in the hopes of rescuing a pixelated damsel.

TL:DR

0/10 for the faux outrage/white knight
9/10 for the butt hurt and tears.

Leaving satisfied and to have a smoke.

Edited: missed a "t"

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#116 - 2013-11-25 19:23:56 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
I have given many likes in this thread. None of which were for the OP. I just read the "offending" thread and don't see the problem. Malcanis genuinely apologized to Ting Mei's sensitivities:

Quote:
I apologise unreservedly for hurting your feelings
and
Quote:
That was wrong of me.

I guess reading comprehension is secondary to thread rage.Cool So, here we are! Another white knight creating another.........thread in the hopes of rescuing a pixelated damsel.

TL:DR

0/10 for the faux outrage/white knight
9/10 for the butt hurt and tears.

Leaving satisfied and to have a smoke.

Edited: missed a "t"

But we have every right to tell a CSM member how they can speak, or what opinions they can offer on a public forum. After all, WE PAY THEIR SALARY!!! Big smileBig smileBig smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#117 - 2013-11-25 19:32:58 UTC
As a member of "privileged" class, gender, and race (so I'm told - I've yet to see all this freedom they say I have, and all this money they say I'm supposed to have) I know that I'd go to jail for many of the things that I see other "protected" classes, genders, and races make excuses and get away with.

Therefore, let us take on the privilege of requiring people who get free trips, the developers' ear in the future of the game, and elevated status to adhere to a higher standard of conduct.

Adhering to a higher standard of conduct is not difficult. I have to do it every day, since just about every news article and every essay coming from academia points out how I'm somehow the scourge of the world and why new laws and enforcement are needed to find more ways to stop whatever I'm doing and punish me for it.. just for being so "privileged" of course.

So it would not be that difficult to say, refrain from a personal attack in a forum.

CSM members should be called out on asshattery, but I have also seen a lot of posts get edited by ISDs without the poster getting banned. So on one hand, it's good that the ISD was not afraid to edit the CSM post and nobody should be "above the law" too. On the other hand, while expecting a higher standard of behavior from our "betters" we should not be too eager to demand "extra" judgement on them either.

I say, we should just ask Malcanis to be nice and thank the ISD for showing some bawls.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#118 - 2013-11-25 19:38:25 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

But we have every right to tell a CSM member how they can speak, or what opinions they can offer on a public forum. After all, WE PAY THEIR SALARY!!! Big smileBig smileBig smile

OMG dude. I won't get too real life other than to say that my RL job is one in which I hear that one a LOT. As a professional I have to hold my tongue, but I fear one day before I retire I might blurt out "your taxes do not equal slavery for me nor exemption from the rules for you" or some such lol.
Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#119 - 2013-11-25 19:38:47 UTC
Carebears Countdown 5-4-3-2-1 wrote:
I am fully grown. The person who he said these things to was very, very offended. I am standing up for her, the same way I like when people stand up for me when I'm in similar situations.

That's called being a grown up. Standing up for what's right instead of allowing people to tramp all over whatever they want. Ignoring it because it's inconvenient for me to have to make a 10 minute thread is childish and immature. Selfish attitudes are prevalent among the younger generations, we become more socially aware of each others situations as we progress in life.

"As we progress in life" , "Younger Generations"? Oh please, stop it. Posting on an alt tells me you have not "Progressed in life" because when you get older you start to not give a ****. that starts about 35.

"Younger generations" are being said by 30 somethings, in which case does not qualify for ****.

Being older you should be able to deal or you are so hard up your trotting out your ehonor to get some from your lady friend because outside of the internet you are so socially challenged, the residents at the Sunny acres Nursing home pick on you.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#120 - 2013-11-25 19:40:33 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
As a member of "privileged" class, gender, and race (so I'm told - I've yet to see all this freedom they say I have, and all this money they say I'm supposed to have) I know that I'd go to jail for many of the things that I see other "protected" classes, genders, and races make excuses and get away with.
Yep, replying to this one in the way it deserves would get me banned, let me just say as one of those "protected" folks, the grass isn't greener on the other side. it' isn't even grass, it's astro-turf.