These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Star Citizen won't kill EVE, the Oculus Rift will.

Author
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#61 - 2013-11-22 20:22:02 UTC
Maurice deSaxe wrote:
[quote=masternerdguy]

How ever SC is the first to Target EVE online in a big way.

Yes, Eve is certainly under assault in the lucrative Space Game Trailer Video market. Roll

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#62 - 2013-11-22 20:23:06 UTC
Maurice deSaxe wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:
Star Citizen will join all the previous EVE killers in the pit.

Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, X Rebirth.

Guess who's next on the chopping block?

Star Trek and Star wars had their sights on WOW not EVE.
I love EVE but let's not flatter ourselves here.
And X Rebirth just came out to soon to make any calls here.

Will EVE die? no never will.
Will it lose some players? Pretty sure it will lose a few here and there.

Very few mmos have actually died many are still around like EQ and UO.

Heard this same argument before, the new game is always "different" than the previous contenders.

Markku Laaksonen wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:

X Rebirth is already in the pit? I just ordered a copy. :(

My sympathies.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#63 - 2013-11-22 20:30:22 UTC
Markku Laaksonen wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:

X Rebirth is already in the pit? I just ordered a copy. :(

X:R is alright. It's not an "Eve Killer" though, and I don't know why anyone would ever think it would be. It's the same art genre, not the same gameplay genre.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Tron 3K
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#64 - 2013-11-22 20:32:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tron 3K
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Batelle wrote:
I don't see the occulus rift competing with Eve very much. The Occulus Rift offers something completely different than Eve, rather than offering a better version of it.

You're being too generous here. The comparison is fundamentally flawed to begin with.

The OR doesn't offer anything whatsoever compared to EVE and there is exactly zero competition between the two since they are not even the same kind of product.

Oculus Rift competes with your monitor (and maybe mouse), not with the things displayed on or controlled by that monitor and mouse. It is a piece of I/O hardware, not game software that sends and receives that I/O.

Well your are wrong on a conceptual level. EVE requires player time to be successful because of player interaction so everything that competes for a players time is in competition with EVE. This includes work, school, consoles, other computer games and of course the Oculus Rift only games.

I didn't expect anyone to understand the situation. Most people don't get disruptive technologies This was more of "I'm putting this here so I can say I told you so" in two years.

As far as media goes.I mean Book Stores and Video Rental stores all went out of business because of Amazon and Netflix. 2d games are non-existant (everything mostly use 3d engines even for 2d-esque games like Terraria). Oh and don't forget music stores that sell CDs. All those chains went out of business because of iTunes. Valve killed off the software store.

The issue is that kids will grow up on the Oculus Rift and in 5 years down the road, a new player comes across EVE and asks "Does it support the rift?" and the answer will be "No." and they will say "Aww. Too bad. It sounds like a nice game."

Trust me. You don't understand the technology, but the kids growing up will and it will be just like texting and facebook to them. You old fogeys will sit around curmudgeonly to you old ways and start to wonder why people no longer like the things you like anymore.

Anyways, I'm not going to beat this dead horse further. You can all continue on posting why things will never change and then gripe in 5 years time that you no longer understand the world you live in.
Tell that to Family Video that actually is thriving with Redbox, netflix and all those other things out there.. I also understand and love technology.. I just don't buy into the ridiculous crap.. Like 3D TV that hype needs to die off soon.. (its not even 3D!)
Maurice deSaxe
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#65 - 2013-11-22 20:32:55 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Maurice deSaxe wrote:
[quote=masternerdguy]

Yes, Eve is certainly under assault in the lucrative Space Game Trailer Video market. Roll

Because every MMO ever developed in history did not try to build hype with trailers.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#66 - 2013-11-22 20:35:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I didn't expect anyone to understand the situation. Most people don't get disruptive technologies This was more of "I'm putting this here so I can say I told you so" in two years.
I understand the situation. The situation is that you're comparing I/O to software. Just because the I/O changes doesn't mean the software dies — that's the beauty of software: it can adjust to the new I/O… and in many different ways to boot.

Quote:
2d games are non-existant (everything mostly use 3d engines even for 2d-esque games like Terraria).
…and that is what disproves your entire notion: because you're once again confusing the software and the I/O. The games are the same they've always been, only now they use different output functions to benefit from the hardware innovations that have come along.

It turns out that not every game type works in free-camera or first-person 3D. The disruption here is often the exact opposite of what you're suggesting: everyone jumping on the new bandwagon and failing miserably because it turns out that, hey, it is really unsuited for the game play you're after (see the famous polygon ceiling). Instead, the disruption lay in daring to keep doing what they were doing, only with a different rendering pipeline.

Quote:
The issue is that kids will grow up on the Oculus Rift and in 5 years down the road, a new player comes across EVE and asks "Does it support the rift?" and the answer will be
“It's not that kind of game”, same as with the vast majority of other game types that are not suited for a VR experience. VR Civ would be horrible. VR cinematic storytelling means you're failing to deliver the cinematic narrative.

Your fundamental fallacy here is your assumption that all applications suit a specific platform. They don't. There's a reason why different platforms offer different game ecologies. OR is another platform that will have its own ecology — it will be great for some applications; meaningless for some; and absolutely the wrong choice for some.
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#67 - 2013-11-22 20:37:00 UTC
Maurice deSaxe wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Maurice deSaxe wrote:
[quote=masternerdguy]

Because every MMO ever developed in history did not try to build hype with trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzC1Dgh17A

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2013-11-22 21:03:02 UTC
PvP in this game is a bunch of purple boxes pewpewing at orange or red boxes. I don't expect the Oculus Rift to change that at all.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#69 - 2013-11-22 21:07:32 UTC
Oculus Rift is incompatible with my eyes. Cool

Can you guess how much money is going to get from me anyone selling it or any products who rely exclusively on it?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#70 - 2013-11-22 21:44:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
A few points.

EVE has always had difficulty with 3D, even the glasses that Nvidia puts out advise against using the tech with EVE as it really isn't laid out in a way that works will with 3D. It has to do with how the different elements are layered, causing issues with things like text standing out, ships standing out against the background properly, etc.

That being said, with so many innovations coming our way with EVE graphics, including Tessellation, it is certainly conceivable that an effort will be made to make EVE graphics 3D friendly at the same time.

3D graphics currently are associated with games that rely on intense action (like Valkyrie), which is not really EVE's strong point.

The counter point is I believe that there are opportunities for a system like Rift to really show off the pure beauty of the EVE setting. From the planets and nebulae all the way down to the weapons effects in massive fleet battles. Indeed, Tippia may have nailed the biggest payoff possible in this regard, that being to use these headsets with a battle recorder system (which has long been sorely needed by EVE). The ability to go INSIDE a fleet battle, to examine it from any point of view you wish, as many times as you wanted to... it would be phenomenal. Especially if it had some specifically cinematic play back options (choosing a primary focus, secondary focus, fly by, fixed point in space, follow along, first person, missile view, drone view, random mix).

Of course we need a battle recorder anyway, but one designed to work with a Rift headset would be outstanding.

Point being, EVE doesn't need the Rift headset to continue being successful... but it could take advantage of it's availability if it chooses to.

Personally I think we are going to have to see what level of interaction there is between Valkyrie and EVE (if any) before we can speculate too accurately on what CCP's stance is going to be on this whole issue.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#71 - 2013-11-22 21:49:15 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Oculus Rift is incompatible with my eyes. Cool

Can you guess how much money is going to get from me anyone selling it or any products who rely exclusively on it?

Older systems used to have a fair amount of problems with disorientation and motion sickness, mostly due to processor/graphical lag between what your head was doing and what the world around you appeared to be doing.

You would turn your head to look at something, but the actual view in game had a slight (but noticeable) delay before your point of view in game changed to match your heads motion.

That appears to be largely resolved, with your view in game perfectly synced with the motion of your head/eyes... making for a very natural feeling experience.

I haven't seen much (or any really) press or reviews out there that indicate people are having issues with motion sickness using the latest versions of the tech. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't happening on occasion, it's just that I personally haven't noticed any reviews that would indicate that it is.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Toriessian
Helion Production Labs
Independent Operators Consortium
#72 - 2013-11-22 22:59:02 UTC
CCP said in one of their interviews about Valkyrie that they took steps to reduce the motion sickness issues. They ran into it :)

Rift won't kill EVE. Lack of an EVE client wrapper that will let me choose which account I'm currently working on by turning my head will. :)

A full VR client would be nice too of course.... maybe thats what they are implying in the latest trailers.

Every day I'm wafflin!

Bizzaro Stormy MurphDog
B.L.U.E L.A.S.E.R.
#73 - 2013-11-22 22:59:04 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I don't care about having an immersive game experience. I care about having an interactive game experience. That's something that EVE does better than any other game.

I agree with a lot of what you say on the forums, but . . . you just called a game with one second server ticks and interactive game experience. A game where you spend hours just reloading your guns as you shoot a structure, hours picketing a wormhole, hours updating market orders by .01 isk, hours just traveling from gate to gate moving ships/inventory to someplace actually useful, hours sitting on a gate waiting to click one button and (hopefully) kill whoever comes through . . .

. . . buddy, that's not an interactive game. Simply loading up a game of Solitaire and then jumping on your corp's teamspeak/mumble server is more interactive than EVE.

I am not an alt of Chribba.

Bizzaro Stormy MurphDog
B.L.U.E L.A.S.E.R.
#74 - 2013-11-22 23:09:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Bizzaro Stormy MurphDog
Tippia wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I understand the situation. The situation is that you're comparing I/O to software. Just because the I/O changes doesn't mean the software dies — that's the beauty of software: it can adjust to the new I/O… and in many different ways to boot.

Quote:
2d games are non-existant (everything mostly use 3d engines even for 2d-esque games like Terraria).
…and that is what disproves your entire notion: because you're once again confusing the software and the I/O. The games are the same they've always been, only now they use different output functions to benefit from the hardware innovations that have come along.

It turns out that not every game type works in free-camera or first-person 3D. The disruption here is often the exact opposite of what you're suggesting: everyone jumping on the new bandwagon and failing miserably because it turns out that, hey, it is really unsuited for the game play you're after (see the famous polygon ceiling). Instead, the disruption lay in daring to keep doing what they were doing, only with a different rendering pipeline.

Quote:
The issue is that kids will grow up on the Oculus Rift and in 5 years down the road, a new player comes across EVE and asks "Does it support the rift?" and the answer will be
“It's not that kind of game”, same as with the vast majority of other game types that are not suited for a VR experience. VR Civ would be horrible. VR cinematic storytelling means you're failing to deliver the cinematic narrative.

Your fundamental fallacy here is your assumption that all applications suit a specific platform. They don't. There's a reason why different platforms offer different game ecologies. OR is another platform that will have its own ecology — it will be great for some applications; meaningless for some; and absolutely the wrong choice for some.

The thing is, this type of I/O paradigm shift could very easily make all others seem terrible by comparison.

A better comparison would be between board games and video games. Board games used to be a lot more prominent prior to the introduction of video games, and now they're very niche. They still have their place, but nobody would ever pay a monthly subscription fee to have access to a board game when video games are much more entertaining.

VR could easily go the same way, and the smart games (yes, even Civ) would do well to adjust their GUI to account for it. Starcraft II matches in a VR environment would be pretty damn awesome. Similarly, if someone made another space sim in an MMO environment that was fully optimized for VR, I'd drop EVE in a heartbeat, and lord knows I'm not the only one. That's not only a loss of current subscribers but also reduced amount of new subscribers incoming.

You few will still be playing Monopoly while we're playing Command & Conquer. Now, this all depends on how reliable the VR equipment works out, how expensive it is, and how quickly software developers jump on board, but with those caveats in mind . . . this is the type of technology people have wanted for DECADES, and shrugging it off as though it's no different then the introduction of the Wii remote or XBox Kinect is going to prove very shortsighted.

I am not an alt of Chribba.

hellcane
Never Back Down
#75 - 2013-11-22 23:58:25 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
The Oculus is going to be awesome, but only for specific games. Sure it'll be great for action games, flying a spitfire or running around shooting stuff, but i'd hardly put EvE on the list it would be great for. You might as well argue that WoW is going to be ruined by it, which it clearly isn't as it just wouldn't work. Oh, and that it's going down the pan all by itself. Lol

I mean, what could it really bring to EvE. Instead of panning you view around manually, you look with your head? Big deal.

It'll bring risk to ship spinning games.
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#76 - 2013-11-23 00:34:46 UTC
I'm going to spend a lot of time with this but that doesn't mean i can ever neglect my skill queue for a measly fiscal saving.

forums.  serious business.

Bel Tika
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2013-11-23 00:46:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Bel Tika
didnt they say PC would die because of consoles?

anyhow, OR aint my thing never liked that sort of gadget tbh, its fan base will grow ofc and ppl will like it an devs will develop for it but i will still just sit here on my pc an enjoy playing it thnxz

as to SC killing EvE, is there any reason both cant live along side each other? when i see an think SC i see Freelancer, an FReelancer was never no eve just like eve was never no freelancer, but i can certainly sit an play both and enjoy both for different reasons
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#78 - 2013-11-23 00:52:02 UTC
So what's the skinny on this?

These things programmable?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2013-11-23 01:59:09 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

As far as media goes.I mean Book Stores and Video Rental stores all went out of business because of Amazon and Netflix.

This is a joke, right? There are no bookstores anywhere and you can only get movies from Netflix? Take off your Oculus Rift and go outside.
Tabra Penken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#80 - 2013-11-23 02:28:11 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Batelle wrote:
I don't see the occulus rift competing with Eve very much. The Occulus Rift offers something completely different than Eve, rather than offering a better version of it.

You're being too generous here. The comparison is fundamentally flawed to begin with.

The OR doesn't offer anything whatsoever compared to EVE and there is exactly zero competition between the two since they are not even the same kind of product.

Oculus Rift competes with your monitor (and maybe mouse), not with the things displayed on or controlled by that monitor and mouse. It is a piece of I/O hardware, not game software that sends and receives that I/O.

Well your are wrong on a conceptual level. EVE requires player time to be successful because of player interaction so everything that competes for a players time is in competition with EVE. This includes work, school, consoles, other computer games and of course the Oculus Rift only games.

As far as media goes.I mean Book Stores and Video Rental stores all went out of business because of Amazon and Netflix. 2d games are non-existant (everything mostly use 3d engines even for 2d-esque games like Terraria). Oh and don't forget music stores that sell CDs. All those chains went out of business because of iTunes. Valve killed off the software store.

The issue is that kids will grow up on the Oculus Rift and in 5 years down the road, a new player comes across EVE and asks "Does it support the rift?" and the answer will be "No." and they will say "Aww. Too bad. It sounds like a nice game."

Trust me. You don't understand the technology, but the kids growing up will and it will be just like texting and facebook to them. You old fogeys will sit around curmudgeonly to you old ways and start to wonder why people no longer like the things you like anymore.

Anyways, I'm not going to beat this dead horse further. You can all continue on posting why things will never change and then gripe in 5 years time that you no longer understand the world you live in.

WOW all the book stores went out of business!!! I best run out and tell the half dozen or so in my town so they can follow suit

LOL...seriously that's the dumbest thing I've seen claimed in LONG time