These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Star Citizen won't kill EVE, the Oculus Rift will.

Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#41 - 2013-11-22 15:13:58 UTC
Ambo wrote:
Well Video games killed cinema and cinema definitely killed books. So yeah, I guess Oculus will kill video games because we can see historically that the entire population of earth can only possibly enjoy one entertainment medium.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

I lul'd. Have a like while I go read a book the movie industry doesn't want me to know about Big smile
Chandaris
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#42 - 2013-11-22 15:26:47 UTC
Posting in stealth Star Citizen Hype/Fanboy/Will kill EVE thread.

It's vaporware at the moment. Until they release some compelling gameplay, this is not a discussion worth having.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#43 - 2013-11-22 15:28:35 UTC
I don't see the occulus rift competing with Eve very much. The Occulus Rift offers something completely different than Eve, rather than offering a better version of it.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#44 - 2013-11-22 15:48:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Batelle wrote:
I don't see the occulus rift competing with Eve very much. The Occulus Rift offers something completely different than Eve, rather than offering a better version of it.

You're being too generous here. The comparison is fundamentally flawed to begin with.

The OR doesn't offer anything whatsoever compared to EVE and there is exactly zero competition between the two since they are not even the same kind of product.

Oculus Rift competes with your monitor (and maybe mouse), not with the things displayed on or controlled by that monitor and mouse. It is a piece of I/O hardware, not game software that sends and receives that I/O.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-11-22 15:56:51 UTC
Karen Avioras wrote:
The only thing Star Citizen has showed off is walking in a hangar. That's like bethesda making a massive hype over skyrim being a massive rpg and then only showing the inside of the Whiterun house.

Star Citizen is also the industry leader in making blog posts about hitting the latest crowdfunding milestone.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Chandaris
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#46 - 2013-11-22 16:05:01 UTC
Confirming CCP made a hangar module with a closed door and nothing to do inside before it was cool.
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-11-22 16:59:46 UTC
Occulus Rift will literally be a mind numbing and disorienting product. I predict many stomachs will be forcibly emptied and many seizures will be danced.

Also, Star Citizen is a LIE. ALL YOUR MONIES belong to Chris RobertsTwisted May he live long and bathe in the tears of the backers.

EVE is now and forever because Eve is realCool

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#48 - 2013-11-22 17:02:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
If you want to look at the immersion factor only, real life (sometimes referred to as RL) should have destroyed video games decades ago. The amount of things you can do in real life is simply amazing.

Besides, take a look at Minecraft. What version of Cry engine was available at the time of Minecraft's release? 2? But yet, a meaningful gameplay completely overshadowed graphics engine. If you assume that the general population will always tend to use the latest and greatest of technology for gaming, then Minecraft should have been dead before it was even created. Smile
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#49 - 2013-11-22 17:07:15 UTC
Desivo Delta Visseroff wrote:
Occulus Rift will literally be a mind numbing and disorienting product.

This is a great point. I've tried Occulus Rift at a gaming convention and it rocks if you like that kind of thing. But me personally, I'm just not trying to escape all sensation of real life when I play a video game.

EVE (and games like it) is a perfect beer and pretzel video game experience for me, and I can see my kids out of the corner of my eye while playing. Captain Tardbar thinks that everyone who plays games wants to be immersed , but there are lots of us who really really don't want or need that. This is why EVE and games like it will never die completely, in the same way that physical games of chess and checkers and monopoly didn't die even though you can play them on a computer now.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#50 - 2013-11-22 19:48:16 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Batelle wrote:

You're being too generous here. The comparison is fundamentally flawed to begin with.

The OR doesn't offer anything whatsoever compared to EVE and there is exactly zero competition between the two since they are not even the same kind of product.

Oculus Rift competes with your monitor (and maybe mouse), not with the things displayed on or controlled by that monitor and mouse. It is a piece of I/O hardware, not game software that sends and receives that I/O.

Well your are wrong on a conceptual level. EVE requires player time to be successful because of player interaction so everything that competes for a players time is in competition with EVE. This includes work, school, consoles, other computer games and of course the Oculus Rift only games.

I didn't expect anyone to understand the situation. Most people don't get disruptive technologies This was more of "I'm putting this here so I can say I told you so" in two years.

As far as media goes.I mean Book Stores and Video Rental stores all went out of business because of Amazon and Netflix. 2d games are non-existant (everything mostly use 3d engines even for 2d-esque games like Terraria). Oh and don't forget music stores that sell CDs. All those chains went out of business because of iTunes. Valve killed off the software store.

The issue is that kids will grow up on the Oculus Rift and in 5 years down the road, a new player comes across EVE and asks "Does it support the rift?" and the answer will be "No." and they will say "Aww. Too bad. It sounds like a nice game."

Trust me. You don't understand the technology, but the kids growing up will and it will be just like texting and facebook to them. You old fogeys will sit around curmudgeonly to you old ways and start to wonder why people no longer like the things you like anymore.

Anyways, I'm not going to beat this dead horse further. You can all continue on posting why things will never change and then gripe in 5 years time that you no longer understand the world you live in.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

TheMercenaryKing
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#51 - 2013-11-22 19:53:55 UTC
Incarna + oculus. DO IT CCP, DO IT. THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN MAKE EVERYONE LOVE INCARNA!
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2013-11-22 19:58:20 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
[
Trust me. You don't understand the technology, but the kids growing up will and it will be just like texting and facebook to them. You old fogeys will sit around curmudgeonly to you old ways and start to wonder why people no longer like the things you like anymore.

Anyways, I'm not going to beat this dead horse further. You can all continue on posting why things will never change and then gripe in 5 years time that you no longer understand the world you live in.

Confirming I am a bitter noob that will turn into the bitterest of vets. That aside, I do like new technology. If I can play EVE with this tech, I'll be the first to fist/chest bump a new era.

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#53 - 2013-11-22 20:03:01 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
EVE requires player time to be successful

No.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#54 - 2013-11-22 20:05:03 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

I didn't expect anyone to understand the situation.

Because you is the am smarter than all o'youse put togetha

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Za'afiel
Imperceptible Bedevilment
#55 - 2013-11-22 20:09:55 UTC
I know of one thing that can kill EVE quite quickly...greed.

Shoot them all! Be polite.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#56 - 2013-11-22 20:11:32 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Batelle wrote:

Well your are wrong on a conceptual level. EVE requires player time to be successful because of player interaction so everything that competes for a players time is in competition with EVE. This includes work, school, consoles, other computer games and of course the Oculus Rift only games.

I didn't expect anyone to understand the situation. Most people don't get disruptive technologies This was more of "I'm putting this here so I can say I told you so" in two years.

As far as media goes.I mean Book Stores and Video Rental stores all went out of business because of Amazon and Netflix. 2d games are non-existant (everything mostly use 3d engines even for 2d-esque games like Terraria). Oh and don't forget music stores that sell CDs. All those chains went out of business because of iTunes. Valve killed off the software store.

The issue is that kids will grow up on the Oculus Rift and in 5 years down the road, a new player comes across EVE and asks "Does it support the rift?" and the answer will be "No." and they will say "Aww. Too bad. It sounds like a nice game."

Translation: "Only I am visionary enough to understand what is going on unlike you rubes who think EVE is something".

If you know so much, why are you wasting time on a video game, shouldn't you be out pwning Warren Buffet and Bill Gates at industry lol?

This part here underlines one of the points you miss (and there are lots of them):
Quote:

The kind of "kids" who would ask the question aren't the kinds of people who would want to play EVE in the 1st place. On a planet of 6 billion people, you can't say with certainty what people will or won't do. Hell, there are people who still play MUDs for cripes sake :) .

Quote:

Bookmarked for 11/22/2015. It's a date. Are you man enough to come back here and admit you were wrong on that date if people are still playing EVE?

Again, what you "don't get" is that no one is you but you.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#57 - 2013-11-22 20:13:07 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

I didn't expect anyone to understand the situation.

Because you is the am smarter than all o'youse put togetha

That wall he can't climb over to see the rest of the world is called narcissism Twisted
Markku Laaksonen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#58 - 2013-11-22 20:13:55 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Star Citizen will join all the previous EVE killers in the pit.

Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, X Rebirth.

Guess who's next on the chopping block?

X Rebirth is already in the pit? I just ordered a copy. :(

DUST 514 Recruit Code - https://dust514.com/recruit/zluCyb/

EVE Buddy Invite - https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=047203f1-4124-42a1-b36f-39ca8ae5d6e2&action=buddy

Dangirdas Bachir
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2013-11-22 20:14:15 UTC
Niqqa please, it will just bring more people to EVE when they get tired of eye sickness and star citizen..

EVE EVE STARGALACTIC CITY B I T C H

Maurice deSaxe
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-11-22 20:19:29 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Star Citizen will join all the previous EVE killers in the pit.

Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, X Rebirth.

Guess who's next on the chopping block?

Star Trek and Star wars had their sights on WOW not EVE.
I love EVE but let's not flatter ourselves here.
And X Rebirth just came out to soon to make any calls here.

How ever SC is the first to Target EVE online in a big way.
Will EVE die? no never will.
Will it lose some players? Pretty sure it will lose a few here and there.

Very few mmos have actually died many are still around like EQ and UO.