These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Predicts 1 Hour Downtime?

First post First post
Author
Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
New Eden Tech Support
#181 - 2013-11-19 14:20:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Jamwara DelCalicoe Ashley
CCP Falcon wrote:
I bet all you guys a beer at Fanfest 2014 that we get this done within an hour!

Quote this poast and X up if you want to take the wager!

Big smile

That's a lot of beer to drink and/or buy :D Best of luck

X'ing Up: Activated
DNSBLACK
Dirt Nap Squad
#182 - 2013-11-19 14:23:41 UTC  |  Edited by: DNSBLACK
Higgs Foton wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
So, have counted up all the people who quoted my post and x'd up as instructed.

Seems like I owe 27 beers to the following people at Fanfest:

DNSBLACK

You realise you have a problem now, right? :D

"Seems like I owe 27 beers to the following people at FanFest". Falcon you said it I will enjoy drinking all 27 beer s I won on this bet. EvE dev the giving never ends.

Now I just have to fund the last 2 days of my bar tab at fanfest and Iam all set.
Glasgow Dunlop
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#183 - 2013-11-19 15:43:43 UTC
mmmm free beer . . . .

@glasgowdunlop #tweetfleet

TDSIN Director : Join 'TDSIN pub' for more info, Join today!

Glasgow EVE Meets Organiser

Jimtom
Fancypants Inc
Pandemic Horde
#184 - 2013-11-19 16:06:22 UTC
Best beer is free beer Lol

see you in may Blink
DNSBLACK
Dirt Nap Squad
#185 - 2013-11-19 17:10:53 UTC  |  Edited by: DNSBLACK
Best beer? Beers. Falcon said he owes 27 beers to each person is the way i see it
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#186 - 2013-11-19 22:14:07 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Explorer
Inquisitor Ageri wrote:
Glasgow Dunlop wrote:
for patch day? or are they laying background data in for the patch?

Patch day. 11:00 - 12:00 EVE time. It'll probably run over but not by a lot. Oh we of little faith!

*Edit - *expansion* day, not patch day! But that depends on how you perceive CCP's bug-fixing timeline.
Actual was 11:00 - 12:20 EVE time. Pretty good I thought.

Now, my initial goal was to deploy in 24 minutes. The deployment of Trinity in 2007 was scheduled for 24 hours, actual was closer to 20 hours, then boot.ini happened Sad Would have been symbolic 6 years later to schedule the deployment for 24 minutes and deploy in 20 minutes.

But then as we looked at the DB updates we had to add 25 minutes. Finally the teams asked for 5 minute VIP time for verification. A total of 54 minutes and we scheduled 55. During the deployment we encountered issues with the CDN we use and it took 25 minutes to resolve that with the technicians.

A grand total of 80 minutes. Still faaaar away from 20-24 hours Big smile

Since the summer of 2011 we have gotten much better at deploying expansions. Since then expansion deployments have taken:

• Crucible: 470 minutes = 7.83 hours
  • Inferno: 250 minutes = 4.17 hours
  • Retribution: 200 minutes = 3.33 hours
  • Odyssey: 340 minutes = 5.67 hours (most of the time spent on Destroyer and Battlecruiser skill changes)
  • Rubicon: 80 minutes = 1.33 hours

Tyrannis, on 26 May 2010, was the last one to take more than 1,000 minutes. Red Moon Rising, on 16 December 2005, was the longest deployment, at more than 1,440 minutes or more than 24 hours; total downtime that week was close to 3,000 minutes or 50 hours.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#187 - 2013-11-20 09:45:09 UTC
We have also been working on reducing the actual usage of the daily 30 minute scheduled downtime. If you look at this graph that shows the daily downtimes from July through end of October this year then we were using between 15 and 20 minutes daily even when there were no deployments. We have reduced that to 8 to 10 minutes, and with the new Cluster Load Balancer (devblog from CCP Prism X pending) then the cluster is taking 2 minutes less starting up so I'm hoping to reduce the target for non-deployment downtimes to 6-8 minutes. Will we be able to formally reduce the scheduled downtime from the current 30 minutes? I hope so, but I'm not committing to that right now.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Zions Child
Higashikata Industries
#188 - 2013-11-20 09:59:48 UTC
You guys are fantastic, and it really is amazing that you deployed a content update (large or not, there were a large variety of changes) in 80 minutes.

All that being said, plans never survive contact with the real world, so we all expected it to take longer than 60 minutes.

I really just wanted that free beer at Fanfest.

Also looking forward to the day when EVE can be run 24/7 :D
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#189 - 2013-11-20 10:01:44 UTC
Zions Child wrote:

And will dynamically update the load stats of solar systems, shuffle them around nodes while the server is live without ever disconnecting anybody, and is capable of running a single solar system on more than one node with properly distributed load between them!

What?! I CAN DREAM TOO!! Evil
Lair Osen
#190 - 2013-11-20 11:04:36 UTC
Well until then, any chance of ever making downtime only every second day?
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#191 - 2013-11-20 11:19:14 UTC
We probably could do that by now, but that means that we only reshuffle systems between nodes, based on newly learned load behaviour, every two days. I don't think anybody would be happy about having to endure extreme lag in recently popular mission running systems, for example, for up to 48 hours.

This could of course happen if the load of different subsystems was adjusted while the server was live and the cluster capable of reacting to these changes with minimal impact for our customers.
Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#192 - 2013-11-20 11:53:05 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Zions Child wrote:

And will dynamically update the load stats of solar systems, shuffle them around nodes while the server is live without ever disconnecting anybody, and is capable of running a single solar system on more than one node with properly distributed load between them!

Please make it so.
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#193 - 2013-11-20 12:42:54 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:
Zions Child wrote:

Please make it so.

Gimmie a year and I'll give you a better estimate. Blink
Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#194 - 2013-11-20 12:45:46 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:
Zions Child wrote:

Please make it so.

Gimmie a year and I'll give you a better estimate. Blink

Fine, I have been here almost eight years now so another year or three is no problem. Bear
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#195 - 2013-11-20 13:15:12 UTC
Falcon is gonna be broke at fanfest. Can you CCP guys do a "PLEX for BEER" drive for him?
indiana bones
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#196 - 2013-11-20 13:31:17 UTC
CCP Prism X wrote:
Zions Child wrote:

I set up a VMware datacentre a few years ago that did this with vMotion. It’s quite mad watching live database servers and Citrix farms swapping hardware depending on load, all with active users on!

IIRC, only drops 1 ping at the moment of switchover and therefore keeps all the client sessions happy.
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#197 - 2013-11-20 13:34:08 UTC
indiana bones wrote:
CCP Prism X wrote:
Zions Child wrote:

I set up a VMware datacentre a few years ago that did this with vMotion. It’s quite mad watching live database servers and Citrix farms swapping hardware depending on load, all with active users on!

IIRC, only drops 1 ping at the moment of switchover and therefore keeps all the client sessions happy.

Yeah it's a bit different when working with non-eucledian legacy code ancient horror monester Blink
Still a non-eucledian legacy code ancient horror monester that I care for a whole lot.
Louis Robichaud
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#198 - 2013-11-20 13:51:48 UTC
All in all though, this went reasonably smoothly. Thanks CCP

I blog a bit http://hspew.blogspot.ca

Nicen Jehr
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#199 - 2013-11-20 14:19:50 UTC
Thanks for the numbers CCP Prism X and CCP Explorer! lookin forward to the devblog!

Can you tell us what is different about your dev/ops nowadays, compared to the early expansions, that makes deployments so much faster?
CCP Prism X
C C P
C C P Alliance
#200 - 2013-11-20 14:26:50 UTC
Nicen Jehr wrote:
Thanks for the numbers CCP Prism X and CCP Explorer! lookin forward to the devblog!

Can you tell us what is different about your dev/ops nowadays, compared to the early expansions, that makes deployments so much faster?

We don't get any deployment candy now until AFTER the deployment! Evil