These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Could CCP be about to repeat Incarna?

First post First post
Author
SpaceSaft
Almost Dangerous
Wolves Amongst Strangers
#61 - 2013-11-17 11:33:55 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Here is the deal... Something might actually change the gaming industry completely very soon.

I very much hope so because right now I'm disappointed of the things the "industry" called circle jerk offers.

I'm also not that worried about the future. I will play as long as the game I currently have is fun. There will always be a grand vision for eve, that's just the nature of the game...

Also I was trying to take part in the event and left because I don't like to wait 3 hours for my dying.
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#62 - 2013-11-17 11:45:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
David Kir wrote:

They announced WIS in 2006, announced Incarna in 2009, started delivering it in 2011.
All of which while overlooking FIS.

You haven't read any of this thread have you? I'm assuming your an alt (post with your main), because a 2013 player couldn't possibly have such a high opinion of their knowledge of things that happened when they weren't actually there.

They announced Incarna in 2008, and the first iteration was the character creator January 2011 in the Incursions expansion. But that's all irrelevant. The time between then was spent making and integrating the CARBON engine. Now, the CARBON engine was integral to their vision of WiS, sure. But if you look at it that way then they first started delivering in Dominion 2009 when they integrated the first part of the CARBON engine, the Trinity Graphics Engine.

The point is, I will believe in their vision when I see results. And frankly, I haven't seen anything special yet.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#63 - 2013-11-17 11:50:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Here is the deal... Something might actually change the gaming industry completely very soon.

CCP knows this and that's why they put 20 engineers on certain project.

And no its not Star CItizen.

Consoles masterrace, nothings gonna change.

Its not the consoles either. Actually, it might even threaten consoles.

Which is why Sony is developing their own.

You know, one of the good things with being an old gamer (22 years on the fray here), is that it gives you perspective.

Virtual Reality is not going to change the fact that most existing games & genres are better played on a PC, with a mouse and a keyboard.

Certain games and certain genres may benefit from VR, but they're a small part of the total, and VR haves its own issues too.

Do you think that it would be cool to play a FPS in VR? Go try to stand up for one hour, holding a weapon mockup controller in your hands for all that hour. You'll learn a few funny things on human physiology.

How about a virtual interface, hovering virtually in the air so you must just raise your hands to use it? Guess how many times you'll be able to raise your arms to reach it before your elbows and shoulders start flashing warnings?

Make this experiment, place your keyboard vertically so you must push the keys rarther than press them down. Now write me an answer as long as this one, and tell me how it would feel after, say, one hour.

Virtual Reality haves its pros and its cons. And to gamers, it will be a toy... a expensive and fascinating toy, but eventually just a toy. At the end of the day, you'll be back to resting your arms on solid surfaces, and will wonder why in your VR game it feels so weird to speed up and slow down... or why it doesn't even haves those functions. (Clue: Valkyrie doens't haves brakes because slowing down is a very tricky issue. When your eyes "see" slowing down, your brain wants to check your feet, which obviously aren't there and the controller won't follow, so your brain, your inner ear and your self-perception tell you that you're looking at your feet but the eyes say "no, you're looking straight ahead" and then everyone goes bananas and you'll get motion sickness sooner than later... and so there's no braking in Valkyrie)

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

JamDunc
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#64 - 2013-11-17 14:50:26 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Which is why Sony is developing their own.

Yes, yes we all know about the VR headsets.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#65 - 2013-11-17 15:58:34 UTC
Princess Bride wrote:
The only thing that makes me nervous about this expansion is its name. Rubicon: the point of no return. It implies changes that cannot be reversed, no matter what, do or die, succeed or close the doors forever. It sounds like an appropriate name for an expansion changing Eve to F2P, or some other major shift.

In PR jargon, the stronger, impressive and bolder the words, the least the actual substance being delivered.
Chinwe Rhei
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#66 - 2013-11-17 16:21:33 UTC
Many people are sick and tired of stagnation, "little things", endless ship rebalance making everything more the same, bug fix updates masquarading as expansions and cowardice in the face of irrelevant and non-representative CSM candidates.

Bring on some significant new feautres CCP we haven't had anything shaking things up since wormholes.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#67 - 2013-11-17 16:27:05 UTC
Chinwe Rhei wrote:
Many people are sick and tired of stagnation, "little things", endless ship rebalance making everything more the same, bug fix updates masquarading as expansions and cowardice in the face of irrelevant and non-representative CSM candidates.

Bring on some significant new feautres CCP we haven't had anything shaking things up since wormholes.

For years this community BEGGED CCP to fix it's game rather than add more new stuff that would simply be abandoned in short order.

CCP does that, moving away from "Jesus Features" and more towards polishing existing content, rebalancing content (thus creating WAY more content than the game ever provided before, people now actually know what a "scythe" and a "Bellicose" are.....) and fixing bugs, while still adding new but smallish content like Ghost sites.

Result? The same community that begged CCP to to what it's doing now is begging for Jesus features.

YOU people are lucky I'm not CCP. I'd flip a switch and turn off the servers for a week to teach you ungrateful sods a leason, and reply to every petition that resulted from that with 4 letters: HTFU.
M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#68 - 2013-11-17 16:32:02 UTC
JamDunc wrote:
IYou can now be banned for "impersonating" your own alt.

You can't be banned for impersonating your own alt because you ARE your own alt. Roll

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#69 - 2013-11-17 16:45:48 UTC
Evei Shard wrote:
As for the Rubicon expansion, I'm still left wondering if CCP is at a point that they *can't* do anything more with Eve. That they've hit some hard limits on code or technology, and so on, and that they are now in a mode of treading water, just trying to keep the playerbase subscribing until they get WoD out (and perhaps foolishly assuming that it will save them financially).

On the other hand, I imagine that it's possible that the players of Eve are the problem for CCP. They may have some fantastic Sov solutions out there that would transform null-sec completely and make it a very competitive and exciting place to be, but they can't ever implement them because the changes would require a reset of nullsec. This would **** off their primary playerbase, so we're stuck.
Same with POS' stuff. They probably have some great fixes that would be easy to code, but it would require a complete reset.

In the interest of communication, maybe CCP should approach the community about such things, if they exist. Maybe they'll find out that null-sec is actually open to going that far if it means a much better solution (it's a stretch, but I'm feeling optimistic today).

It's just a law of symmetry.

How many times have we read people demanding EvE to forever stick to an early 2000 game play, where you MUST be super-social, super committed, join super corps, basically live EvE (this usually happens in pro null seccers vs everyone else)? Else you are meant to have a miserable life, don't deserve any kind of reward, should possibly die slowly eaten alive by scarabs.

But many know this is not early 2000 any more and the world has changed and with it the playerbase has changed as well. Many MMOs had to adapt to the new players RL induced necessities or died.

In the same fashion, the glorious pre-2000 developers days have gone.

Even CCP employees often blame a lot the elder CCP developers and their "spaghetti, inestricable code" and even design decisions. But then, THOSE were the old school devs with loads and loads of vision.
Yes they coded in a furious and confused way yet THEY brought EvE to life not the SCRUM era employees.

Those early devs would also imagine those "Jesus expansions" and then deliver them - usually with tons of mistakes, incidents a la boot.ini but in the end the stuff was delivered.
Over time natural turnover, promotion etc. made those early devs slowly disappear or lose contact with the playerbase needs. They slowly got replaced by "new gen" devs and designers.

Technically these are more orderly, more adherent to good practices, more... a lot of stuff. Yet there's somehow less "Insanity and genius" about them, the epic taste has gone. Sure, having 2 years of bugfixes is nice and all, but is this all what we can aim to now? It's little creativity at work here. Worse, they are losing contact with the ever running evolution in the rest of the gaming world.
The gaming world don't care for academic achievements like proving a console game could attach into an existing MMO, it cared to get Wormholes. It cared to get playable WiS not a proof of concept engine.

Anyway CCP should try and get back some of those scarce visionary designers.

Imagine what a guy like Chris Taylor or Chris Roberts could do to EvE. People that could single handedly affect the gaming industry just because they thought farter and higher.
EvE should routinely beat itself. EvE should not just have "emergent gameplay" but used to be and should return being "emergent developing".

Example: EvE started with a revolutionary concept - and underlying technology - to allow a one shard universe.
That was emergent developing.

Example of the new course: TiDi. It's a nice concept but it's a "defensive, defeated guy approach" to tackle the issue it tries to fix. Had it been the "real" CCP they'd have concoted something absolutely incredible and bold, like i.e. introducing multi-threaded clusters, sub-grid dynamic players entities management and so on. All of this possibly created in a small room full of smoke, furiously coding 18h a day "a la old times" and possibly with who knows how many issues. But in the end it'd give a new generation of lag-less gameplay.

But as I said above, it's not golden times any more. Players would not accept having a less than 99.95% servers functionality even with such a feature being delivered. And devs would not accept the "18h a day in a small room full of smoke" old way of delivering stuff.

Therefore we are in a post-golden times gaming era, where players are not the ones we could have back in the day, nor developers.
Prince Kobol
#70 - 2013-11-17 16:48:47 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Chinwe Rhei wrote:

For years this community BEGGED CCP to fix it's game rather than add more new stuff that would simply be abandoned in short order.

CCP does that, moving away from "Jesus Features" and more towards polishing existing content, rebalancing content (thus creating WAY more content than the game ever provided before, people now actually know what a "scythe" and a "Bellicose" are.....) and fixing bugs, while still adding new but smallish content like Ghost sites.

Result? The same community that begged CCP to to what it's doing now is begging for Jesus features.

YOU people are lucky I'm not CCP. I'd flip a switch and turn off the servers for a week to teach you ungrateful sods a leason, and reply to every petition that resulted from that with 4 letters: HTFU.

No, what many are saying is as good as it is CCP fixing the many things that were/are wrong, that shouldn't mean they stop introducing new content and fix the major issue's like Sov Mechanics, PoS,s Corp Management, Null Sec industry and Risk v Reward.

Also bug fixes are that, bug fixes, they should not constitute a major part of an expansion.

As nice as these little toys are like the new deployable units, I am pretty sure more people would want a complete overhaul of Corp Management Interface or Null Sec Industry being improved to the point where it is actually worth while to manufacture in null.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#71 - 2013-11-17 16:52:47 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Might sound incredible, but players expect BOTH a functioning game AND nice expansions.

This dicothomy is propaganda spread among us to make us "choose" wether have an half game playing well or an half game with new features.

Does not work like that in the competitive gaming industry. Markets are ruthless, you either deliver - and deliver good - or die.

If CCP is not up to the task, they will eventually decline and close down.

EvE cannot forever live on past glories. EvE has thrived because it's always been two steps ahead. Nobody cares for a perfectly polished corpse.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#72 - 2013-11-17 17:17:29 UTC
Here's the deal in the words of a CSM:

Quote:
Q: "Overall, how optimistic (or pessimistic) are you about the continuing development of EVE?"

A (Ripard Teg): (....). The basic answer to your question is "it depends." If you buy into CCP Seagull's vision of space exploration and capsuleer ownership of space that she laid out at Fanfest and consistently since then, then I think you have good reason to be very excited about developments over the next few years. Think about a movie or TV show or book that you like that had a long slow gradual build-up, laying groundwork as it went for several MAJOR pay-offs at the end -- Babylon 5, say, or Raiders of the Lost Ark. If you buy into the space colonization vision, then I can safely say that you have several HOLY **** moments ahead of you.

On the other hand, if you do not buy into the vision, then with one exception I think you may find the next few expansions to be not your cup of tea. A few scraps will fall from the table onto everyone's plate, but EVE is definitely on a journey for the next three years and you're either part of it or you're not. As I mentioned though, there is one sizeable exception that doesn't necessarily follow the space colonization vision that CCP is nevertheless going to do that I personally am quite excited about but which is quite NDA. But I suspect CCP will start letting details about this one out soon(tm).

So far, I've encountered 3 persons in the first group (2 of them are CSM members), 5 in the second and many more who don't even know WTF it's the Hallelujah Plan.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#73 - 2013-11-17 17:41:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Sura Sadiva
Jenn aSide wrote:

This was only the excuse used by CCP to justify their focusing on other developments rather than on EVE.

I think doesn't exist a single game comunity on this planet begging the company to NOT keep developing and working hard on great things for their favourite game.

This image is simply surreal :)
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#74 - 2013-11-17 17:46:18 UTC
/signed.

WTF are you doing, CCP?

I know my posts (like this OP) are 'alarmist' but they are written that way for a reason. We are seriously alarmed at the apparent direction your company has taken, which is directly away from the transparency, communication, and community involvement promised after incarna-gate. It's almost smacks of politics, with many politicians promising accountability, responsibility to their constituents, then doing nothing of the sort, even the exact opposite once in power.

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#75 - 2013-11-17 18:16:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
You know, one of the good things with being an old gamer (22 years on the fray here), is that it gives you perspective.

Virtual Reality is not going to change the fact that most existing games & genres are better played on a PC, with a mouse and a keyboard.

Certain games and certain genres may benefit from VR, but they're a small part of the total, and VR haves its own issues too.

Do you think that it would be cool to play a FPS in VR? Go try to stand up for one hour, holding a weapon mockup controller in your hands for all that hour. You'll learn a few funny things on human physiology.

How about a virtual interface, hovering virtually in the air so you must just raise your hands to use it? Guess how many times you'll be able to raise your arms to reach it before your elbows and shoulders start flashing warnings?

Make this experiment, place your keyboard vertically so you must push the keys rarther than press them down. Now write me an answer as long as this one, and tell me how it would feel after, say, one hour.

Virtual Reality haves its pros and its cons. And to gamers, it will be a toy... a expensive and fascinating toy, but eventually just a toy. At the end of the day, you'll be back to resting your arms on solid surfaces, and will wonder why in your VR game it feels so weird to speed up and slow down... or why it doesn't even haves those functions. (Clue: Valkyrie doens't haves brakes because slowing down is a very tricky issue. When your eyes "see" slowing down, your brain wants to check your feet, which obviously aren't there and the controller won't follow, so your brain, your inner ear and your self-perception tell you that you're looking at your feet but the eyes say "no, you're looking straight ahead" and then everyone goes bananas and you'll get motion sickness sooner than later... and so there's no braking in Valkyrie)

Hrm... The CEO of EVE (Hilmar) was quoted to believe that he does believe that everyone will buy one:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/01/hilmar-petursson-interview-oculus-rift-vr/

Quote:
The question is whether significant numbers of gamers will choose to spend an estimated $300 on a pair of Oculus goggles. For a number of reasons -- some immediate, some futuristic and others downright outlandish -- Pétursson believes they'll come up with the money. They won't be able to stop themselves.

Either he knows something we don't or he's overly optimistic about the Oculus Rift.

Secondly you have a weird misconception about playing the Occulus Rift. If I was going to buy something that I had to stand up all day I would not be interested because I'm a fat lazy ****, but there are plenty of videos of people playing FPS games with mouse and keyboard. Certainly there are those enthusiasts who are playing with the Hydra because they have the device and want to look cool on Youtube.

The games that really shine are cockpit games I think as well which mostly will be using a mouse and keyboard or joystick.

The Hydra is weird and has been discontinued anyways.

The truth is this is mostly speculation on my part because I have not tried the rift. The thing is though is that everyone who has tried the Rift and posted on youtube has declared it amazing and game changing except for those who get nausea (which seems to affect 1 out of 10 people). And these are people who are using the low res developers kit not the HD version that has not been released yet. They say they can fix the VR sickness in the HD version.

When I try it I'll let you know, but if all the reviewers are to believed it might be a forgone conclusion. (Watch me have VR sickness though)

One of the things that reviewers have discussed is the immersion factor. It literally tricks you brain into believe you are really there and you start to feel things like extreme fear and vertigo. They describe the objects feel like there are literately 3 to 5 feet in front of you where you can.

Here listen to this guy for 16 minutes to listen to his description of the rift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUZaE52hAo

People on the Oculus Rift forums have actually complained that it has spoiled all the games that were not Oculus Rift supported and they only want to play Oculus Rift games.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5068 (the CCP url warning butchers this url. in order to see it copy and paste it into a url field directly in your broswer with the text. Be warned I could be a bad guy after your stuff. Or you could just google "The Oculus has spoilt my gaming experience")

Maybe I am just believing the hype, but it seems even the CEO of CCP believes everyone will buy one.

And if everyone buys one that means most games will be designed around them.

But anyways I'm just speculating. I'll let everyone know on Thursday if the people on youtube were right.

And you. Don't dismiss it until you've tried it for 10+ hours.

Hell... Look at the reactions of these people playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDKNA7kXoo

Can a regular monitor cause people to react like that?

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#76 - 2013-11-17 18:27:54 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Might sound incredible, but players expect BOTH a functioning game AND nice expansions.

This dicothomy is propaganda spread among us to make us "choose" wether have an half game playing well or an half game with new features.

Does not work like that in the competitive gaming industry. Markets are ruthless, you either deliver - and deliver good - or die.

If CCP is not up to the task, they will eventually decline and close down.

EvE cannot forever live on past glories. EvE has thrived because it's always been two steps ahead. Nobody cares for a perfectly polished corpse.

Translation: EVE will die if it doesn't give me what I want.

It's nonsense, and it demonstrates than many establish players are too close to the game to see things clearly. Rubicon might not seem like a big deal to some established players, but that's just shortsightedness.

People said the same thing about teircide. They were like "how is changing around stats on Frigs and cruisers no one uses going to help". Turns out the things like tiercide create WAY more actual content (in a gmae where the players make the content) than any number of incursions or wormholes or cosmos or whatever CCP could add that would be new.

Rubicon is about to change everything, and i'd actually bet real money that Rubicon will have more impact on the game than most previous expansions. A couple hundered thousand human beings about about to be handed a bunch of new tools in a game that is notorious for it's players screwing with each other. I'm goin g to boommark this post and link it over the next few months every time some wild and unexpectedly cool things happen in rubicon.
Ghost Phius
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2013-11-17 18:41:58 UTC
I think CCP is looking for Rubicon to = a reset button after the blue screen that was the door in Incarna.

I am in agreement with OP since it is just a factual recount of what happened. I am going to give CCP a chance to take their collective heads out of their bums and get it redirected starting with the yet to be revealed "vison"(tm).

ok CCP Seagull do your thing......Shocked
Noddy Comet
Lysdexic Agnostics - Thier is no Dog
#78 - 2013-11-17 18:45:33 UTC
Arduemont wrote:

they removed ship spinning

Dunno what game you log into but I can still spin my ship just fine in the hangar and even have a nice counter to stare at and watch it add +1 every time I go 'round after spinning 10+ times.

[i]"The biggest problem with quotes on the Internet, is that just because it's on the Internet too many believe them to be real" -[/i]Abraham Lincoln's "Berlin Wall" speech at the 1984 Winter Olympics.

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#79 - 2013-11-17 18:47:31 UTC
Noddy Comet wrote:
Arduemont wrote:

they removed ship spinning

Dunno what game you log into but I can still spin my ship just fine in the hangar and even have a nice counter to stare at and watch it add +1 every time I go 'round after spinning 10+ times.

The outrage that followed the removal prompted CCP to restore it. It was removed.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Shakira Khalessi
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2013-11-17 19:12:56 UTC
OP is right.