These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

New Player Training Session: PvP Fleet!

First post First post
Author
Mavis Tikalie
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-11-16 19:54:38 UTC
I was at this event and part of the Caldari fleet:

Overall this went quite well. Organization at the beginning and getting everyone into a ship took a while but after that we operated smoothly and got some nice kills. However I don't think they really taught that much in the way of fleet warfare. Either way it was fun and people did learn some things. I'd not take away that part of this event. I believe you should get players who have the skills to operate larger vessels like cruisers and battlecruisers to help add more meat to the fleets. I'd also limit it to a certain number of people and not just let everyone with a big ship join. I really don't know how it would work but I feel like you should teach about how each ship within a fleet has a role and all the roles preformed well when put together really makes a fleet good. Of corse the Eve University teaches this so it may not be what you're going for.

All in all it was fun even for a long time player such as myself.
Dirgeweaver
Kuan.Dai.Shan
The Army of Mango Alliance
#22 - 2013-11-16 20:08:20 UTC
Very fun roam and quite well executed. Eve Voice held up well and worked fine for an event such as this. Thanks to the ISD guys who came out, they were excellent at explaining the basics when required. Please do more of these events in the future Big smile
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#23 - 2013-11-16 20:17:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Attended, helped some guys, laughed at others and ISD Darth Vader (you know who you are) and had a great roam through Amamake (Shocked) and down to meet RvB and Mangala Solaris who was kind enough to throw some people into our fleet to even up the numbers and I believe sacrificed at Myrm with fireworks for ammunition! Hilarity ensued and then we got down to business.

I burned towards Mangala Solaris like a froth mouthed rabid raving dog, got tackled, pointed, webbed, neuted and shot of the field...and then podded! My nice new Golden Pod so that's decorating the KB of RvB but all for a worthwhile cause.

Enjoy these that I managed throughout this NPTS before I saw the lovely station interior from the eyes on my brand spanking new clone Lol

My thanks to:

CCP Eterne for equipping all those ships and the great post. You lost a lot of ships tonight Blink.
CCP Gargant for the laughs, the fleet, the awesome time.
ISD CraftyPoint for the laughs, the fleet, the awesome time.
ISD Rontea for the laughs, the fleet, the awesome time.

Finally and most importantly:

To the guys who participated in fleet and to RvB for not only evening up the numbers but for the good fight. Sorry I couldn't post GF in Local...I was de-shipped and de-podded just too quickly (please don't abuse my body Twisted!).

EDIT:

Kills that I was part of with my fleet (still can't find who was firing fireworks though):

Myrmidon
Tempest
Caracal
CCP Falcon
#24 - 2013-11-16 20:45:52 UTC

Amazing fun Big smile

So glad that the guys in my fleet had fun, and we scored a couple of decent kills including a Domi and Cynabal before we welped Big smile

Great to see things went well and that everyone enjoyed <3<3<3

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Othran
Route One
#25 - 2013-11-16 20:56:03 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

Amazing fun Big smile

So glad that the guys in my fleet had fun, and we scored a couple of decent kills including a Domi and Cynabal before we welped Big smile

Great to see things went well and that everyone enjoyed <3<3<3

Nice tank on the Vultures, hope the ISD guy (Ushuthral?) wasn't the FC as he landed in the middle of us and nobody bothered waiting for Gizz to call it.

Hope they enjoyed it Smile
Drinky McDrunk
Tactical Logistics Operations
#26 - 2013-11-16 22:08:08 UTC
Had an enjoyable evening on the Caldari fleet.

Managed to avoid a disco 'phoon before getting some ewar onto a couple of ships.... a Gallente cruiser and a Cynabal.

Then left station and we engaged a Domi and a few other ships. Got some ewar onto the Domi and I believe it was a thrasher that decided to eat my ship, managed to get away from that with about 1% structure..

1% structure

could be mistaken about the thrasher actually. Got a bit confusing unfortunately!!

About 20 minutes later we reformed and found another frigate fleet in system, we found them at Planet 4 and I proceeded to die pretty swiftly after landing.

Thanks CCP + ISD folks! Thanks to (low se)c folk who appeared as well ;)
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#27 - 2013-11-16 22:36:57 UTC
Drinky McDrunk wrote:

Managed to avoid a disco 'phoon before getting some ewar onto a couple of ships.... a Gallente cruiser and a Cynabal.

Then left station and we engaged a Domi and a few other ships. Got some ewar onto the Domi and I believe it was a thrasher that decided to eat my ship, managed to get away from that with about 1% structure..

1% structure

could be mistaken about the thrasher actually. Got a bit confusing unfortunately!!

About 20 minutes later we reformed and found another frigate fleet in system, we found them at Planet 4 and I proceeded to die pretty swiftly after landing.

Thanks CCP + ISD folks! Thanks to (low se)c folk who appeared as well ;)

Wow that is low low loooooooooooooow structure. Nice exit Smile
Othran
Route One
#28 - 2013-11-16 22:37:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Drinky McDrunk wrote:

1% structure

That was us in the Agony PvP-U fleet - we were having a different fight when we were supposed to be fighting you because you were running late or something. Then you were having a different fight when we arrived. Then we met.

Zero-range frigate brawls are pretty rapid at the start - you can try doing broadcasts if you want but its pretty futile. I dunno about anyone else but all I'm doing at the start is locking up the max number of targets ship can handle sorted by range. Then start taking down the first while the rest lock/die whatever. I've done this before (lots) and you guys haven't.

Frigate fighting is about as close to "twitch gaming" as Eve gets so probably while you guys are still deciding what to lock we were onto the second or third target.

That's just experience and knowing that fastest finger first often wins frigate fights.

I lost two frigates later on, proving my "experience" is very very rusty indeed.

Go on the Agony classes is my advice. I did and so have over 10,000 other pilots in Eve. Even if you decide you hate PvP you'll never say "jump" again unless you're the FC P
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#29 - 2013-11-16 22:45:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Oh and for those that like "EVEOnline Celebrity Spotting":

I flew with or encountered the sharp end of all these people:

CCP Garant
ISD CraftyPoint - ISD STAR
ISD Rontea - ISD Community Communications Liaisons
Mangala Solaris - CSM 8 Member and "Admiral(?) of RvB
Othran
Route One
#30 - 2013-11-16 23:04:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Maximus Aerelius wrote:

Mangala Solaris - CSM 8 Member and "Admiral(?) of RvB

Chief Cat Herder would be a more accurate title Lol

Edit - public fleets are often compared to herding cats in terms of difficulties for the FC.
Othran
Route One
#31 - 2013-11-16 23:20:15 UTC
Oh and if your CCP/ISD instructors didn't tell you...

evemaps.dotlan.net

This site has facilitated more PvP fun than any other site and for PvP peeps like me is the most important Eve website around. I dread to think what his bandwidth charges are.
Felissil
Furry Nomads
#32 - 2013-11-17 09:34:29 UTC
I joined the Minnie fleet, trailed the FC through several systems, joined the group in kicking some other capsuleers (...while they where down...) and died horribly in the end. No T-Shirt.

But seriously - it was a fun and well enjoyed event. First getting some basic lessons in fleet maneuvering - having read all about it in uniwiki and the various handbooks out there just isn't the same - with a fleet that was cozy enough not to be distracting was a good start. Besides knowing that most of the other guys around me are as inexperienced as me, makes it alot easier to ask questions when I simply didn't get it when it was explained the first time around Roll.

Then after the third or fourth system when we aquirred a loving fellowship that just wanted to enrich our starting PvP experience by showing us the light - literally - and our trusty cat herder... ehhhm I mean FC, developed the slightest hitch in his voice ("JUMP JUMP JUMP. NOW.") it got even more interesting.

Ohh and let me tell you about my personal enlightenment when we turned around and kicked our pursuers butts and I finally understood people telling me that in Eve every ship is valuable - even a cheap fitted frigate. Sure we lost some of ours in that fight but in the end we went on... and our adversaries didn't. Counts, doesn't it? Lol

And then there was the final part. After someone nicely sacrificing their Myrmidon so we can have a little target practice - and the fireworks was a nice touch there - RvB showed up, which ended the event for me in a series of hectic and highly hilarious moments ("cool - target rich environment! lets sort this overview list. now where's this Mangala ship we're supposed to fire on... there. not in target range? mwd on! not good - red on the hp bar so i'm getting fired on... wait it's gone? uhh... whoa you're an ugly corpse, but what do you want to tell me... wait, that's me? drek! i didn't even get to fire on someone! gaahhhhh").

As said before, it was a most enjoyable event and truly. So a big thanks from me to organizers and everyone who participated, but especially CCP Eterne for starting this shinding, CCP Gargant for herding us through the systems and being allaround patient, ISD CraftyPoint for leading us into glorious battle (and throwing in the funny reference to the other space related product we're not gonna name here), RvB for giving us a good fight, and last but not least my fellow minnies who I was proud to have died alongside - may we all rest in pieces!
Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#33 - 2013-11-17 10:52:20 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
...and had a great roam through Amamake (Shocked) ...

Relevant AT XI advertisement.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#34 - 2013-11-17 12:58:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Anna Karhunen wrote:
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
...and had a great roam through Amamake (Shocked) ...

Relevant AT XI advertisement.

I remember seeing this and laughed so much, great advertisement for Amamake. I used to live down that way way before it became the hot spot it is today. Was based out of Gulmorogod running missions in my youth. I may have cause to revisit.
T0adwart
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-11-17 18:13:31 UTC  |  Edited by: T0adwart
This was great fun. Caldari fleet was the best fleet Blink. Sadly I had to leave early so couldn't get myself on one of the CCP kill mails... ahh well.. maybe next time Twisted.
Can't wait to have enough SP to join a PVP corp.

Thanks CCP and our glorious FC .. CCP Falcon
Xatinni
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-11-17 22:13:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Xatinni
Up at 3am for this one (AEST time), fleet chatter about what everyone was drinking...Beer, Tequila etc.. I made myself a nice hot cup of tea....Big smile, settled back and enjoyed how our FC @CCP Gargant managed to organise a rag tag of noob capsulers (self included) into a semi sufficient war machine

This was my first combat fleet ops and my first assisted kill - hoorah...was defiantly worth the early start. Thanks for organising. had a ball

Question: When we warped away from the Tempest (I thing it was the tempest, before we killed it).. how did it manage to track us down so quickly...we warped to a gate and it seemed to be only seconds behind us...would he have just dscanned each gate at 5 degrees - he just seemed to track us down super fast.

Can someone also post some of the FC terms we used in the OP with their meaning, e.g. gate is red, the one for not de-cloaking, mods on etc

Thanks again for organising
Cheers
Othran
Route One
#37 - 2013-11-18 18:33:24 UTC
For those of you who had the fight at P4 then the other FC (Gizznitt) has his after-action report up here of our roam :

http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/21537-nov-16th-alumni-roam-aar-feedback-thread/

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#38 - 2013-11-18 22:08:00 UTC
Othran wrote:
For those of you who had the fight at P4 then the other FC (Gizznitt) has his after-action report up here of our roam :

http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/21537-nov-16th-alumni-roam-aar-feedback-thread/

Our fighting group consisted of Alumni from our PvP courses.

If you were part of the caldari fleet we slaughtered, post "I was there" in the feedback thread and I'll have you scholarshipped into a future PvP-Basic class.
Xatinni
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2013-11-18 22:59:27 UTC
Xatinni wrote:

Can someone also post some of the FC terms we used in the OP with their meaning, e.g. gate is red, the one for not de-cloaking, mods on etc

Found this
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Fleet_Terminology
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#40 - 2013-11-18 23:09:02 UTC
Xatinni wrote:
Xatinni wrote:

Found this
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Fleet_Terminology

This should be posted up and used in future classes. E-UNI have fantastic resources and CCP should (if they don't already) tap into that knowledge.
Previous page12