These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Genuine question : are the protection rackets legit ?

First post
Author
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-11-10 10:34:34 UTC
like a 9-bob note.
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#22 - 2013-11-10 10:36:26 UTC
btw there's no benefit at all to having a player corp for mining. for whatever reason the NPC corp stations do a better job of refining than a starbase and you don't pay any taxes.

however, expressing dissatisfaction and then dropping corp was probably a bad idea.

forums.  serious business.

Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#23 - 2013-11-10 10:38:34 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:

I know that EvE is a harsh place, but I thought that paying my subscription allowed me to play the game ...

It allows you to play the game not to mine in peace. Wardecs are a game mechanic and how this is used is up to the players. There are a gazilion ways to defend yourself in such situations.

It saddens me to see that you just run away from what could be a great opportunity to experience another part of the game that is far more exciting than mining. Did it ever come to your mind to actually try and defend your corp?

Just don't use anything expensive you will probably loose them as you gain experience about how the game works. Cheap frigate fleets are a good way to get your feet wet in EVE PvP. With the recent buffs you may even stand a chance.
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#24 - 2013-11-10 10:40:07 UTC
Alphea Abbra wrote:
Kery Nysell wrote:
Also, 1 vs 40 is a sure way to get myself spanked, even if I had the inclination to fight ...

Now, if someone wants to teach me the ropes of PvP, I'm willing to learn.
You mentioned some guys in the OP who might teach you?
If not then Noir., Rooks n Kings and other groups have PvP instruction videos up on Youtube.

I like how a few of the first answers disregarded the "is this griefing" and took the "was their protection racket genuine" approach. EVE never disappoints.Big smile

Well to be fair, the borderlines of acceptable behavior in EVE fall well beyond what is acceptable in most other online games. If the standards other MMO's held towards player activity were ever brought into play here Jita would be a dead zone in hours, and there would be a wall around null/lowsec. Ugh

On the other hand if the EVE mentality were allowed on other MMO's for even a day... well the cumulative years of therapy that would result would be almost worth it.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#25 - 2013-11-10 10:45:46 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
My actual definition of fun is logging on for a couple of hours and either do a couple of missions or mine a bit. I find that relaxing, and I have a stressfull enough Real Life to really need it. The added stress of PvP does nothing good for my ulcers and blood pressure.

So why didn't you just pay. It seams you only play to "relax" and don't use that mined ISK anyway?
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-11-10 10:50:01 UTC
paying people 'protection' money is utterly pointless when they're not going to protect you.

culo duro
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-11-10 11:12:09 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:

Also, 1 vs 40 is a sure way to get myself spanked, even if I had the inclination to fight ...

You should totally join us, and get a good feeling of how to handle yourself in combat situations.

I've starting blogging http://www.epvpc.blogspot.com 

Kery Nysell
#28 - 2013-11-10 11:13:12 UTC
Karak Terrel wrote:

It saddens me to see that you just run away from what could be a great opportunity to experience another part of the game that is far more exciting than mining. Did it ever come to your mind to actually try and defend your corp?

I already tried the PvP side of eVe, that's how I know I don't like it.

And I indeed thought about defending my corp, then did a "show info" on the Alliance that wardecced me, saw that they had 40 pilots against me alone, and realized that I didn't stand a chance.

As to why I didn't pay : they asked for more ISKs than I can make with my limited game time available, basically I would have had to inject ISKies by buying PLEXes with Real Cash to meet their demands, on top of my subscription fees, and without a guarantee of not being ganked by them or others.

My "false views" of the game were already challenged years ago, it's just that I don't enjoy being hunted and bullied ... and no, they're not totally "false", there is indeed a PvE element in this game, or else how would the hardcore PvPers pay for the ships they will inevitably lose.

I could say that your very narrow view of the game is also false ... there is more than "yaaarrr PvP", "grrr Goons" and scamming/bullying to do in EvE.

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#29 - 2013-11-10 11:19:29 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
I could say that your very narrow view of the game is also false ... there is more than "yaaarrr PvP", "grrr Goons" and scamming/bullying to do in EvE.

unfortunately everyone in highsec these days imagines them to be a villain of high finance or an elite space pirate!

you should move. i doubt they ever will. Blink

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#30 - 2013-11-10 11:21:02 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Kery Nysell wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
As it stands you'll never know. If you had paid them and they had in fact protected you from outside interference then I would say yes, it is completely legit. If you had and then they had not bothered to protect you then they were just strong arming you for iskies. Fuzziness here... did they contact you before the wardec and offer you their services for this fee, or did they open with the war? Lots of unknowns here, and as such it's hard to tell if they were on the level. Either way... protection racket, or strongarm extortion, both are acceptable playstyles in the dirty back alley universe of EVE.

Not a single word from them, they just opened the war, when I contacted them I heard some excuse that WE had killed a Noctis and a pod from them, when in fact that was the other way around, *I* was ganked ...

Well, I got the answer to my question, I've closed the corp I made 8 years ago, lost a POS and a pod with a full head of implants, and my bitter-meter was raised a notch ...

Lesson learned for the small time casual players : be silent and invisible.

After having a look at your eveboard link, I have only one thing to say.

Shame on you!

130M SP with more than enough in PVP combat skills that you should have been able to meet them on the field of battle without fear and had some actual fun.

This is either some kind of troll or you're just really weird.

Mr Epeen Cool

I can fix that.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Sidrat Flush
KarmaFleet
#31 - 2013-11-10 11:31:22 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:

I'll go with the reeaaaally wierd option ... I have lots of skills, yes, but absolutely NO experince in PvP, and no interest in it either ... direct player vs player combat bores me to tears. My actual definition of fun is logging on for a couple of hours and either do a couple of missions or mine a bit. I find that relaxing, and I have a stressfull enough Real Life to really need it. The added stress of PvP does nothing good for my ulcers and blood pressure.

As a long time non-pvp player with 111M skill points and virtually nill pvp experience I can sympathise.

However, in null with the right ship and fitting each anom you do even solo can grant you 20+M Isk every twenty minutes.

The increased heart rate, the sweaty palms and the bladder issues will still be there - forever according to some capital pvp human beings I've spoken to, apparently that's why they keep doing it.

You have the skills to pvp, all you need is the will and it will become (like missions) second nature. Join a null corp that offers a Ship Replacement Programme and your pvp training will be heavily subsided or free.

Thankfully CCP has reduced the cost of our clone levels to something more reasonable (for null dwellers, not those still doing level 4 missions in empire), so pvp with no or cheap implants.

It really comes down to your will though. I've stopped playing Eve in the past, because I couldn't face another level 4 mission, nor could I face refuelling the damn pos that was mostly silent.

Play in a group with group activities - the anom income almost but not quite doubles, the pvp is actually fun when you get over the first hurdle of shopping and you're around people that can and for the main, will help those willing to help themselves.

Good luck - if you don't want to pvp that's fine, just protect yourself from encountering it.

Its time to stand up against the bad empire based CEO telling falsehoods about what new characters can accomplish and pushing them towards an in game experience of drudgery and loneliness keeping them in the shadow of ignorance for at nest their own profit at worse apathy towards all the experiences that Eve has to offer.

Dyvim Slorm
Coven of the Morrigan
#32 - 2013-11-10 11:35:27 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:

My question is this : is this kind of "griefing" legit ?

I know that EvE is a harsh place, but I thought that paying my subscription allowed me to play the game ...

Wardecs and extortion have always been part of Eve since the beginning and I wouldn't define them as "griefing" per se.

Get some cheap frigs and harass them back, hire some mercs, play something else for a week or two until they get bored or just drop corp.

All your subscription does is buy you a place in the Eve universe nothing more than that
Frying Doom
#33 - 2013-11-10 11:40:01 UTC
Dyvim Slorm wrote:
Kery Nysell wrote:

My question is this : is this kind of "griefing" legit ?

Wardecs and extortion have always been part of Eve since the beginning and I wouldn't define them as "griefing" per se.

Get some cheap frigs and harass them back, hire some mercs, play something else for a week or two until they get bored or just drop corp.

All your subscription does is buy you a place in the Eve universe nothing more than that

Go after them hammer and tongs.

Hunt them, harass them, do not give them a moments piece.

You may die some but people normally do not reup a war dec on carebears when the carebears hunt them.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#34 - 2013-11-10 11:45:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Omar Alharazaad
Think the damage has already been done and this isn't an option anymore. I hope the OP isn't too discouraged by this event. I'm not going to badger for a change in playstyle because I'm pretty much a chronic bear as well. Between all the snark, however, there has been some good advice thrown in as well. If OP does want to learn pvp I have heard many good things about culo duro's group when it comes to teaching pvp noobs the ropes. You may wish to take him up on his offer.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Alduin666 Shikkoken
Doomheim
#35 - 2013-11-10 11:48:01 UTC
Waaaaaaaaaaait . . . . you've played the game for over 8 years and you are STILL wondering if this is legal?

Freaking high sec carebears man.

Honor is a fools prize. [I]Glory is of no use to the dead.[/I]

Be a man! Post with your main! ~Vas'Avi Community Manager

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2013-11-10 15:26:34 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
As it stands you'll never know. If you had paid them and they had in fact protected you from outside interference then I would say yes, it is completely legit. If you had and then they had not bothered to protect you then they were just strong arming you for iskies. Fuzziness here... did they contact you before the wardec and offer you their services for this fee, or did they open with the war? Lots of unknowns here, and as such it's hard to tell if they were on the level. Either way... protection racket, or strongarm extortion, both are acceptable playstyles in the dirty back alley universe of EVE.

Not a single word from them, they just opened the war, when I contacted them I heard some excuse that WE had killed a Noctis and a pod from them, when in fact that was the other way around, *I* was ganked ...

Well, I got the answer to my question, I've closed the corp I made 8 years ago, lost a POS and a pod with a full head of implants, and my bitter-meter was raised a notch ...

Lesson learned for the small time casual players : be silent and invisible.
If you played for eight years and still have to run from wardecs,
then we'll all just monitor you and keep deccing you,
every time you make a new one.

You are one very bright light.
Kery Nysell
#37 - 2013-11-10 15:49:08 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

Another good reason to stay in an NPC corp then.

Thanks for the veiled insult too.

culo duro
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2013-11-10 15:59:34 UTC
Kery Nysell wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:

Another good reason to stay in an NPC corp then.

Thanks for the veiled insult too.

No, that's a good reason to learn how to pvp, and kill those that try to kill you. Big smile

I've starting blogging http://www.epvpc.blogspot.com 

Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-11-10 17:50:16 UTC
You have no right to run a corporation. Nor a need to. Just because you created your own 'guild' in some other game does not make you fit to run a 'space-guild' in eve. Opening or running a corporation? Well, you're going to have to take responsibility for that, not just pick and choose what parts you want. This is an example of EVE's 'true philosophy', which I'm not surprised new players are unfamiliar with, since CCP has been stomping all through the sandbox lately.

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Serptimis
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2013-11-10 17:55:04 UTC
Sorry, but a character with a birth date in 2004 asking a 'genuine' question about the legitimacy of a high sec war dec. Yeah, ok.