These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Subscriber Cash Down the Drain

First post First post
Author
Josef Djugashvilis
#101 - 2013-11-08 09:13:22 UTC
Zions Child wrote:
Quiet, baddie.

Corporations spend their money on new projects because they want more money.

It's called business.

Shaddup.

So, how much profit do CCP make from DUST?

This is not a signature.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#102 - 2013-11-08 09:59:12 UTC
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Given your inability to address or answer the main point of the OP
An inability to read on your part does not constitute an inability address or answer on my part.

I've done both; you've failed to respond. I can only ask you to read again and hope that you actually try to come up with some kind of answer this time rather than try to deflect the question away from your own failures.
adarma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#103 - 2013-11-08 09:59:18 UTC
OP, you are right and I think alike. But your point is missing. CCP didn't only waste the revenue, but also the energy, time and focus on some silly projects that we don't care about. And yes, EVE would have been different now if they had not.

But others have points as well. This is cold business, stripped from idealism, focused on more money alone. There you have it!
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#104 - 2013-11-08 10:04:25 UTC
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

Eve is a game we all love.

That said many problems do exist and will continue to do so.

As an eve subscriber that has channelled my hard earned rl isk into playing i can only but ask how eve might have been better today if CCP had not chanelled so much into speculative projects.

I ask the communtity for their opinions.

How better might todays eve have been if CCP had not over streched.

Bad ps3 game / emo vampire game vs better servers - you decide.

Both have yet to prove they will ever be anything other than eve subscriber cash down the drain.

Does your boss threaten to fire you when you spend your wages on things he doesn't approve of?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#105 - 2013-11-08 10:05:42 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

As an eve subscriber that has channelled my hard earned rl isk into playing i can only but ask how eve might have been better today if CCP had not chanelled so much into speculative projects.

Both have yet to prove they will ever be anything other than eve subscriber cash down the drain.

Does your boss threaten to fire you when you spend your wages on things he doesn't approve of?

Yep. One of my alts got fired from The Scope for blowing all his money on Quafe and strippers. Now he's turned to the lonely world of suicide ganking.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Pew Terror
All of it
#106 - 2013-11-08 12:07:35 UTC
Confirming OP is a highly successful business person and knows his stuff!
IDGAD
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2013-11-08 15:43:28 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
They could stick this **** on the hottest servers on the planet, until they fix the stupid multithreading thing it's still going to run like **** if you slap enough people in a system.

Yes and no. The Jita node is what they called the reinforced nodes. If I remember right they have two other reinforced nodes available besides Jita. Since 2000 + fights are uncommon, the technology does exist to support most of the giant super fights. CCP just does not want to invest more into the EVE infrastructure.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#108 - 2013-11-08 16:47:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
I want to know what Burger King is doing with the money I paid for my #4 Meal. They ought to use it to make that crap taste better.
RomeStar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#109 - 2013-11-08 16:49:41 UTC
They should make Dust a sub based game and see how many people actually play it then. hmmmmmm my guess would be less than 100.

Signatured removed, CCP Phantom

Zions Child
Higashikata Industries
#110 - 2013-11-08 19:54:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Zions Child
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Zions Child wrote:
Quiet, baddie.

Corporations spend their money on new projects because they want more money.

It's called business.

Shaddup.

So, how much profit do CCP make from DUST?

Depends.

How do you define profit?

Are you talking about profit during the development cycle of DUST 514? Because CCP Games made ~ $4.5 M in 2012. Are you talking about direct profit from DUST 514 Sales? Because then you have to get into the discussion of how they determine that profit, and how much those sales "cost."

Why? Because profit and loss are not easy to understand terms in corporate finance. Because the entire purpose of a company is to squeeze as much profit out of something as possible, and this includes artificially "increasing" costs on paper so as to pay less taxes; e.g. depreciation on property purchases.

All in all, CCPGames has not lost money since at least 2009. Their profits declined in 2012, from around $9M to $5M, but they also significantly increased their R&D costs and various other costs. Similarly, R&D costs have greatly increased in 2013. However, sales increased in 2012 compared to 2011, and sales in the first half of 2013 increased significantly from sales in 2012. Costs have gone up.

Long story short: CCP profited off of DUST, because CCP is currently a profitable company. Without internal sales figures and accounting, it's impossible to tell how much profit came from DUST and how much came from EVE.

EDIT: As for sources, there are these things called financial statements which you can read on your own.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#111 - 2013-11-08 20:29:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Posting in another thread that is confused about the difference between an investor and a customer.

For the record, there are plenty of companies around the world, particularly car companies, that will profit off one product, but lose money on another, but the profit from the first outweighs the loss enough that you have a net profit at the end of the day, and the product taking a loss is still viable for mass production due to that net profit.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Frying Doom
#112 - 2013-11-08 20:33:19 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

That depends on whether or not it makes the papers and whether the community is after my blood over itLol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Solhild
Doomheim
#113 - 2013-11-08 20:51:24 UTC
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

Good on you for playing Devil's advocate. In my opinion, If EVE online was it and all cash was invested there, we'd probably be in a better place now. I would expect EVE to include FPS avatar combat and twitch space shooting options, within the client and with the same character. Would this be better than what we have now? Not sure??
Desivo Delta Visseroff
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#114 - 2013-11-08 21:03:18 UTC
Also in before lock... ISD Please Lock now Big smile

I was hunting for sick loot, but all I could get my hands on were 50 corpses[:|]..............[:=d]

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#115 - 2013-11-08 21:54:53 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

That depends on whether or not it makes the papers and whether the community is after my blood over itLol

The community, eh?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#116 - 2013-11-08 22:10:55 UTC
I like Cake

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!

Frying Doom
#117 - 2013-11-08 22:15:49 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

The community, eh?

Strangely I live in a town, now those people who live in the town are what is called a 'community'. Not sure where you live that you don't know what a community is.Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#118 - 2013-11-08 22:35:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
So, is DUST earning the money for CCP already? Or do they just "siphon" the $$$ from EVE subscribers? Lol
Praise the Yeti
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#119 - 2013-11-09 01:25:40 UTC
My original point stands firm.

Like the post before this.

+1 for paying for other games and getting less in return eve wise for the same buck.

Rekon X
Doomheim
#120 - 2013-11-09 02:06:04 UTC
Praise the Yeti wrote:
Hai.

But, hey, we have a really bada$$ expansion on the way.

Oh, wait, that is a total fail job also.

Definition of goon - a stupid person Those who can do, those who can't spew