These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve is not a sandbox

Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#61 - 2013-10-25 20:18:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
sand·box
/ˈsan(d)ˌbäks/
noun
noun: sandbox; plural noun: sandboxes; noun: sandbox tree; plural noun: sandbox trees1. a shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.
•historical
a perforated container for sprinkling sand onto wet ink in order to dry it.•Computinga virtual space in which new or untested software can be run securely.2. a tropical American tree whose seed cases were formerly used to hold sand for blotting ink.

…so what you're saying is that once again, I'm right since as your quote shows, being a sandbox has little to nothing to do with the presence of rules.

Weeze88 Roman wrote:
I said i was yellow in couster
…which is a bad thing since it means you're effectively baiting noobs who aren't familiar with the rule set. Put another way: you're ganking n00bs.

You did a bad thing. The GM's slapped you for breaking the rules. Now you're complaining about this correct ruling by trying to hide behind something completely unrelated and irrelevant. How about, instead, you stay out of the rookie systems and stop abusing the aggression mechanics to gank noobs, hmmm…?
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#62 - 2013-10-25 20:20:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:

As luck would have it I are once again wrong. please see below.

"Definition - What does Sandbox mean?
A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.

A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

.....In spite of their name, various sandbox games continue to impose restrictions at some stages of the game environment. This can be due the game's design limitations, or can be a short-run, in-game limitations, such as some locked areas in games that will be unlocked once certain milestones are achieved."

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox-gaming

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

BoBoZoBo
MGroup9
#63 - 2013-10-25 20:29:25 UTC  |  Edited by: BoBoZoBo
Sand that is in a box - a box has limits and boundaries.
Within those boundaries you can do what you want with the sand.

Seems legit.

Primary Test Subject • SmackTalker Elite

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#64 - 2013-10-25 20:34:34 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
There are many other things to do in couster, Not just perving which you seem to have a handle on there. We were in a war, targets went there, I was yellow outside station, a noob attacked me I shot at him and he went boom in like a second. I wasn't there to f with noobs. Some of you can't get over that couster is not just a starter system. War targets go there and hide. There are agents there also not all of us start out doing missions etc, there are many things to do in couster. Just make it so only noob players can go there. dont allow the mechanic, don't threaten paying players over rules that are confusing. Didn't they add the blue green red button things?

CCP's stance about this is pretty clear. And you're long enough in the game to know the rules that apply to rookies.

If you don't, here's a discussion from last year:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1198726#post1198726

Don't do anything silly in starter systems. Don't mess with rookies in career agent systems. If you need to access the station in a system like Couster, go there, dock, buy your skillbook or put your goods on the market and gtfo. Do not hang around on the undock.

If a wartarget flees to Couster, you better ignore him. If you shoot something and mess up, CCP may decide it's your fault since you've been warned.

Remove standings and insurance.

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2013-10-25 20:39:57 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
Yes, i have.

It is completely broken that CCP believes new players have to be protected,
instead of being taught how to survive and protect themselves.

the rules regarding newbies only apply to the starter systems and tutorials, where they're still learning how to control the spaceship and identify important information. that's the only place they need to be protected and it's the only place they are protected.
Thanks for pointing that out. I must have a false memory,
because i think that CCP actually monitors them outside of starter systems too.

My bad.

I thought I had seen where new players aren't just protected in starter systems but also includes a set period of time also.
Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#66 - 2013-10-25 20:42:25 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Point #1 They will lock this thread so no one else can put their 2 cents about it in.

Theyre sorta slow it seems.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2013-10-25 20:43:54 UTC
star citizen should be out soon, maybe this will be the Sandbox game I was hoping EVE would be.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#68 - 2013-10-25 20:44:29 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
star citizen should be out soon, maybe this will be the Sandbox game I was hoping EVE would be.

Cool

Your stuff

I can has?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#69 - 2013-10-25 20:45:56 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:

It will be as sandbox as WoW (lol pvp slider)

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Weeze88 Roman
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2013-10-25 20:49:57 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
Weeze88 Roman wrote:

Well thats not what I hear.
Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#71 - 2013-10-25 20:51:26 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
Weeze88 Roman wrote:

Well thats not what I hear.

Thats what the devs say

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#72 - 2013-10-25 21:01:55 UTC
Oh ya, SC is gonna be all about noob ganking.

:rolleyeyesmileydude:

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#73 - 2013-10-25 21:04:37 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:

You mean the kind where you can turn on and off your PvP flag when you encounter weaker/stronger opponents, respectively? Yup. Should be right up your alley
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#74 - 2013-10-25 21:07:17 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:
If anyone says this game is a sandbox then they don't know what sandbox means. If rules apply (especially rules that they make so vague that know one actually knows what the rule covers) Then it's not a sandbox. Point #1 They will lock this thread so no one else can put their 2 cents about it in. Point #2 Try to figure out what tricking a noob into pvp is. Because there is no straight answer. They make it up as they go along. Some more points people.

OP must have got in trouble for baiting new players in starter systems. Anyway, if there weren't at least some rules, there would be no sandbox to play in because there would be arseholes out there bent on destroying EVE itself.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#75 - 2013-10-25 21:32:37 UTC
I fail to see the problem. While not hardcoded into the game the rules about baiting noobs adress the spirit in which the game should be played (hence they are not hardcoded, a point for Eve being a sandbox), they do not even limit you mechanically. It's not about the act of baiting as literally, but what you bait someone into. I don't know if it was in a starter area but I've let newbies take shots at me in hisec while flashy, but not actually firing back at them. Just a little interaction, I believe I linked a warp core stab in local with a smiley next to it. I've never ran into trouble with GM's or anything.
Snakebyte Jack
AcT Legion
#76 - 2013-10-25 21:33:17 UTC
Eve online is a Sci Fi MMORPG.
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2013-10-25 21:50:48 UTC
You're not a sandbox...
Shizuka Mena
Bloodfriends
#78 - 2013-10-25 22:11:03 UTC
This definition of a sandbox game has already been made above but I'll repeat it so you can see how what the OP said make no sense. Italics for emphasis my own.

Definition - What does Sandbox mean?
A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.

A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

Right, so you see how it says Minimal, well minimal means not very many. It does not mean none. OP broke one of the few rules. The existance of that rule does not stop EvE being a sandbox game.
Adunh Slavy
#79 - 2013-10-25 22:13:11 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:

Where in my post does it say I gank noobs,lol so obtuse.

So you just spend half your argument whining about your point number 2 for no reason, and want to cite me as being obtuse?

Yeah, whatever.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Xavier Higdon
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#80 - 2013-10-26 00:13:18 UTC
Weeze88 Roman wrote:

Thank you for your donations to the future of EVE. I'm sorry you won't be here for it, but your subscription fees will help to improve this game and will help to bring in new subscribers. Since star citizen is so far off, I hope you will continue to fund this game I love. $20 a month is a small price for you to pay so that I and thousands of others can have fun.