These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Being conned to join a corp-Alliance with real life ramifications

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#41 - 2013-10-15 12:05:53 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:
A good % of Eve players are borderline sociopaths who justify their actions with "but this is Eve".

sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get better.

Yeah, so many sociopaths in this game
…who jump to conclusions about other people's intentions and motivations without any real indication or knowledge thereof — in particular they presume malice without evidence; who ridiculously assume that their knowledge and perception is universal, rather than just their own post-facto constructions; and who arbitrarily assign deeply binary morals based on all these baseless assumptions.

So here are a few questions:

1. In what way is the OP's medical condition relevant to what did and/or what should have happened to him?
2. To what degree was hos condition recognised and/or referenced by the attackers?
3. How is the OP's state qualitatively different than if he had just been drunk or hopped up on weed?
Druthlen
The Carlisle Group
#42 - 2013-10-15 12:14:05 UTC
Read about 4 posts deep. Skipped the rest. Just wanted to say I am glad to have heard your story.
1st reason: I didnt actually think ppl in eve were that low to betray someone they know. I will be more careful of even my closest ally now. I under stand why POS rights only go to people you know IRL.
2nd reason: May be an ******* but I enjoyed the tears. Can I have your stuff?
3rd reason: Ive been in the hospital. I understand and I hope you pull through.

This post made me wiser, more cautious and made me laugh. Thanks.

Oh BTW you friends are ass hats. But then again I guess so am I.
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#43 - 2013-10-15 12:20:27 UTC
Druthlen wrote:
1st reason: I didnt actually think ppl in eve were that low to betray someone they know. I will be more careful of even my closest ally now. I under stand why POS rights only go to people you know IRL.


Wow, really?

In all seriousness, it is good you found out this way.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#44 - 2013-10-15 12:21:05 UTC
Tippia wrote:
1. In what way is the OP's medical condition relevant to what did and/or what should have happened to him?
2. To what degree was hos condition recognised and/or referenced by the attackers?
3. How is the OP's state qualitatively different than if he had just been drunk or hopped up on weed?

I don't care about those things Tippia. I just want to touch hearts and minds with my honest intentions. Some people just need to be reassured that good people still exist in the world.
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#45 - 2013-10-15 12:24:47 UTC
You can touch something else of mine with your honest intentions.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#46 - 2013-10-15 12:27:57 UTC
I'll touch everyone because I feel humility is an important virtue.
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#47 - 2013-10-15 12:29:47 UTC
Well then you'll soon see why it's so hard for me to stay humble.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

adarma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-10-15 12:34:31 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Riot Girl wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:
A good % of Eve players are borderline sociopaths who justify their actions with "but this is Eve".

sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get better.

Yeah, so many sociopaths in this game
…who jump to conclusions about other people's intentions and motivations without any real indication or knowledge thereof — in particular they presume malice without evidence; who ridiculously assume that their knowledge and perception is universal, rather than just their own post-facto constructions; and who arbitrarily assign deeply binary morals based on all these baseless assumptions.

So here are a few questions:

1. In what way is the OP's medical condition relevant to what did and/or what should have happened to him?
2. To what degree was hos condition recognised and/or referenced by the attackers?
3. How is the OP's state qualitatively different than if he had just been drunk or hopped up on weed?



Nice mechanical analysis and cold interrogation. But you are right, it is too much to expect a simple, symphatetic "sorry" these days, even for someone who is dying.


And yes, there are many sociopaths in this game.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2013-10-15 12:34:58 UTC
Unfortunately there are some real life low lifers that play EvE. I think there is a big difference between playing a low life in game which is what I and many other people do, and actually being a low life in game because you're one out of game.

It sounds like your gankers, who you thought were friends and who knew you had being going through a hard time are simply scum out of game, as well as in it.

There seems to be a trend where these people try to beat the last lot of slimeballs in deliberately upping the antagonism for people out of game. When you cross the boundary between harmful behavior in game and deliberately harming people out of game I think that's when CCP should step in and give out warnings and then bans for repeat behaviour.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#50 - 2013-10-15 12:35:46 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Well then you'll soon see why it's so hard for me to stay humble.

You don't have to worry about that. I'm quite competent at changing a person's outlook on life.
Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#51 - 2013-10-15 12:36:34 UTC
If your situation is as bad as you say then you know how insignificant some fake space ships are. Suck it up and have a laugh about it because things can always be worse....
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2013-10-15 12:43:19 UTC
Minmatar Citizen160812 wrote:
If your situation is as bad as you say then you know how insignificant some fake space ships are. Suck it up and have a laugh about it because things can always be worse....

Sometimes when you have been going through a traumatic experience, and being close to death is certainly one of those times, you desperately want to find something to take your mind of things.

Going back to a game or rereading a book you read when everything was good etc is a good form of self medication, the opposite of alcohol and drugs if you like.

What they did is in my opinion inexcusable, viscous and nasty. If he'd been ganked randomly is one thing but to have people deliberately con you and target you because you're vulnerable given his situation, its downright disturbing.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#53 - 2013-10-15 12:46:33 UTC
Having cancer doesnt make you immune to making bad choices in a videogame.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2013-10-15 12:51:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
KuroVolt wrote:
Having cancer doesnt make you immune to making bad choices in a videogame.

You'll change your mind if you ever get it.

I'm starting a permanent war against NC. I'll pay the war fee and everyone is welcome to join to kill them in Empire. I'll post details shortly. The person that gets the most kills against them each week will get 1 billion isk. I'll arrange the prize with a trusted third party starting with 4 billion for the next month.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Bounty Setter
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2013-10-15 12:56:13 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
but to have people deliberately con you and target you because you're vulnerable given his situation, its downright disturbing.

I suggest you go back and read the thread. It has already been stated that the people involved didn't know about his situation.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2013-10-15 12:59:59 UTC
Bounty Setter wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:
but to have people deliberately con you and target you because you're vulnerable given his situation, its downright disturbing.

I suggest you go back and read the thread. It has already been stated that the people involved didn't know about his situation.

Sure.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#57 - 2013-10-15 13:01:33 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Tippia wrote:
1. In what way is the OP's medical condition relevant to what did and/or what should have happened to him?
2. To what degree was hos condition recognised and/or referenced by the attackers?
3. How is the OP's state qualitatively different than if he had just been drunk or hopped up on weed?

I don't care about those things Tippia. I just want to touch hearts and minds with my honest intentions. Some people just need to be reassured that good people still exist in the world.


Good deeds in a video game =/= good people in the real world. Seriously, at what point did you acquire your hero complex?

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#58 - 2013-10-15 13:06:48 UTC
Are you judging me for showing someone some kindness?
Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#59 - 2013-10-15 13:08:28 UTC
What….?

It just makes me laugh to see so many people struggling to justify their “moral code” and e-honor through an anonymous medium.

Posting on a forum under an assumed name to garner sympathy and acknowledgement because there is no one at home that will give it.

It just screams listen to me!! I am not worth crap in real life so I need to justify my existence through a video game….anonymously.

And these are the same people wailing about sociopaths?

Anyone that has a grain of common sense and some sort of grounded base of reality will recognize the difference between fantasy and reality. However, it seems we have a group of folk that cannot.

“I am not crazy…everyone else is?”
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#60 - 2013-10-15 13:10:13 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Are you judging me for showing someone some kindness?


I have no doubt that you're going to attempt to 'interpret' anything I say as something that you feel the need to defend.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104