These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Being conned to join a corp-Alliance with real life ramifications

First post
Author
BenDover
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-10-15 09:18:25 UTC  |  Edited by: BenDover
If you wanted people who know you in game to be aware of your situation, you would have either edited your in game description with the relevant information or sent a general private eve mail. What this seems to be, on the other hand, is a poorly handled "life has screwed me over, feel sorry for me!" thread, in which you appeal to your own real life circumstances to incite the righteous wrath of EVE players against the malevolent conglomerate of wannabe bastards that blew up your digital pixels.

Stop trying to emotionally blackmail people into feeling sorry for you, or talking them down by appealing to your unique insight on the value of human life and opportunity. Cancer is awful. Your situation is awful. I'm sure you have been in a lot of pain and have had to sacrifice a lot. But this isn't the place for it.
Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#22 - 2013-10-15 09:20:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Xen Solarus
The unfortunate fact is that EvE is full of scum. Sorry you had the misfortune of meeting some first hand. My only advice would be to try not to let it get to you, move on and find a better group of friends, and continue to enjoy the game you love.

Can't trust those Northern Coalition scumbags.

All the best with getting better!

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#23 - 2013-10-15 09:21:26 UTC

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand I'm sure this stuff happens and it sucks. On the other hand it sounds awfully similar to a 2 year old story on kugutsumen.

Anyway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wish you the best

--Ero

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Azami Nevinyrall
#24 - 2013-10-15 09:32:11 UTC
Cancer sucks, it REALLY DOES...!!!

But, this IS EVE after all!

Being a long time player, you should know not to trust anyone! Trusting people was your first mistake, and I strongly believe it had nothing to do with IRL situations...

This is EVE, cold, dark, ruthless...why did you expect anything more then that?

Dar Saleem
VDD Logistics
#25 - 2013-10-15 09:43:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Dar Saleem
Guess hes talking about these 2 kills

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20016476
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=20016557

and a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7CCZuSWSyk&feature=youtu.be

Notice the 2 cyno's, his cyno that bought in his carriers and the NC one that in thier carriers

Short story, he cynoed outside of docking range and got ganked, he was going on about how he was joining the "alliance"

[05:48:58] Psyrus Baine > STOP im joining the damn corp alliance

[05:50:01] Draben Enforcer > Im joining the fuckin alliance corp

er no you weren't
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-10-15 10:12:32 UTC
A good % of Eve players are borderline sociopaths who justify their actions with "but this is Eve".

sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get better.
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
SpotlessBlade
Burning Napalm
Northern Coalition.
#27 - 2013-10-15 10:13:25 UTC
First of all, I don't believe you. I don't need to believe you, and you don't need me to believe you.
Second, if you have colon cancer, then those two carriers are the least of your problems.
Third, have you ever killed anyone's ship in eve? Did you first check their health status before doing it? If not, you're a horrible hypocrite and a sham.
Fourth, you got invited to a corp? what corp? logs? proof? no, just your whiny pathetic loser story about "Oh no people were mean to me and I have bum cancer"
Fifth, if you are a big bum cancer fraud as I suspect, then there is a special place for you in hell, or TEST, whichever is worse.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#28 - 2013-10-15 10:26:26 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:
A good % of Eve players are borderline sociopaths who justify their actions with "but this is Eve".

Yeah, so many sociopaths in this game, that's why I always try my hardest to make the game as nice as possible for as many people as I can. Doing things to help people out makes me feel good and I like to think I bring some happiness to the people I help too, especially people like OP who are sick and probably need something to cheer them up in life.
Ra Jackson
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-10-15 10:43:00 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:

Yeah, so many sociopaths in this game, that's why I always try my hardest to make the game as nice as possible for as many people as I can. Doing things to help people out makes me feel good and I like to think I bring some happiness to the people I help too, especially people like OP who are sick and probably need something to cheer them up in life.

If they need cheering up, they should probably not play the most unforgiving MMO out there.
btw - the sociopaths are the ones that compare Eve to RL, or bring RL issues into the game. Nobody cares.
Seetesh
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-10-15 10:45:52 UTC
I agree their are many sociopaths in this game with a complete lack of empathy with strongly misguided compasses. Sadly the anonymity allows these people to flourish. Most have little to no social life's and can't grasp for a second how normal people act. I wish I were in a position personally ingame right now to help you out. Maybe some other kind person will help you back on your feet.
Turelus
Utassi Security
#31 - 2013-10-15 10:51:57 UTC
I'm sorry to hear about your RL situation but I don't think it should in any way effect the way people are treated in game.

There are many people who suffer real life issues from minor illness to battling terminal illness, all of these people play EVE knowing what it is. Being scammed and killed by others sucks, but it's someone any player no matter their RL state should have to consider when logging in, any kind of special treatment from CCP would go against what the game is built on.
That's not to say there wont be players who have a kind heart and will take RL considerations into account, maybe you yourself could form a corporation where the focus is a place for people with problems in their RL can come and break away for a while in EVE.

obligatory can I have you stuff message.

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

adarma
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-10-15 10:52:49 UTC
Ra Jackson wrote:
Riot Girl wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:

If they need cheering up, they should probably not play the most unforgiving MMO out there.
btw - the sociopaths are the ones that compare Eve to RL, or bring RL issues into the game. Nobody cares.

You have a point! One other concern however is the possibility that some ruthless, heartless and evil people in the game are not "just" RP''ing. Now... that is scary...
Kaar
Rionnag Alba
#33 - 2013-10-15 10:59:35 UTC
Nobody conned you. You jumped to a cyno that wasnt even part of the corp you were joining, you're an idiot.
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#34 - 2013-10-15 11:04:10 UTC
Psyrus Baine wrote:
You know I haven't played eve in over 2 years because I been in the hospital fighting colon cancer and going through chemo treatments, I been in remission for the last 4 weeks and decided to join a active corp and play some eve while feeling partially human before having to go back in a couple weeks for more tests in hope it stays gone. .

I hope the people that decided it would be fun to Conn me into joining them so they could gank both my characters carriers with all my stuff loaded for moving into a new corp I hope your proud of yourself for taking the opportunity of someone being drugged up with not as much caution as I would normally take. Due to not really thinking about much except trying to get my mind off of having to go through chemo treatments again for a cheap kill. God help you for that.

There is plenty of old eve players that know me and can confirm my being in and out the hospital for the last 4 years. I hope killing my carriers and blowing up my stuff was worth the thrill. To those of you who know and or knew me I wish I could of played just a little longer before ending up back in the hospital but I don't have the drive to fight being conned in a game and deal with reality. To my friends that still do play and remember me I hope you fly safe and maybe if god is on my side I might be back to play again someday.

Why should everybody all of a sudden be expected to know you have this condition? Dude, good work on the guilt trip, but you have no sympathy from me. You knew exactly what kind of game you were getting yourself into when you logged in.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

GreGh Rakrot
Higher Than Everest
Fraternity.
#35 - 2013-10-15 11:26:21 UTC
I guess I should shed some light on this situation since it came this far.

Psyrus Baine was member of Rionnag Alba in 2008-09. Was fairly active but then started playing less and less and eventually quit EVE due to being in hospital all the time receiving cancer treatment.
He came back to the game recently and inquired if he could rejoin. I knew him so I told him he can. We talked ingame in R A public channel where Aussie Willy (CEO of Ever Flow and member of NCdot) was present as well. Important to know is we recently left NCdot on good terms after being there for 3 years since the formation of the alliance. We also always had good relationship with Aussie Willy and Ever Flow.

Today Psyrus Baine logged in to move his stuff to low sec and then apply to our corp as agreed. Aussie Willy used the fact that previously with me present we all chatted in very friendly terms and convinced Psyrus that he will sort him a cyno which Psyrus accepted. Aussie Willy of course couldnt have known about Psyrus' medical condition so he cant be condemned for that, but he did abuse our friendship in convincing Psyrus to trust him. Never the less, Psyrus should have known better not to trust random people in public channel but I guess he wasnt in best state of mind due to anticancer drugs and was misguided by the friendly way Aussie Willy and myself chatted and joked in said public channel.

EVE is harsh game and people cant usually know what is happening to other players in RL when they blow up their spaceship pixels, so calling them sociopaths for that is unnecessary. Abusing long term friendship even if its only ingame is another thing but that is partially my fault in allowing Aussie Willy to abuse that in the first place.

Psyrus I wish you good luck with your treatment and recovery. You also shouldnt try to get some sort of recognition on forums as they are universally not trusted and in general not really the best place to vent your feelings. Dont let some imaginary spaceship pixels get you down. After all life is so much more then this hobby we call EVE.
Magnolya
Mariolas
#36 - 2013-10-15 11:29:24 UTC
This is the same reason why when I drink a lot, I dont play EVE. If you are playing the game without being 100% of your gaming abilities, face the consequences of your actions, and dont be a coward hiding behind the "Oh I wont play anymore, I am so sick and dieing".

For the rest, its a harsh sandbox, they **** your spaceships if you dont play it right
Sable Moran
Moran Light Industries
#37 - 2013-10-15 11:47:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Sable Moran
Psyrus Baine wrote:
I was not posting for you but to the people that actually remember me.

If that is indeed the case (which I very much doubt) then your OP was a failure on another level. There would have been many much better media to contact your old buddies. Their corp forums, in-games channels, direct in-game mails or if you really wanted to do a eve-o forum post then at least you could have chosen the OOPE section.

But no.

You had to choose GD, the second largest cesspool of the whole of eve-o forums.

Fail... just.. fail.

Other than that, good luck with your RL issues.

Edit: Read the thread through and GreGh Rakrot's post perfectly validates my doubts. There really was no need to make a post on GD you already had other channels to contact your buddies.

So, wrong section of the forums, ranting, troll fodder, reason enough for a lock.

Sable's Ammo Shop at Alentene V - Moon 4 - Duvolle Labs Factory. Hybrid charges, Projectile ammo, Missiles, Drones, Ships, Need'em? We have'em, at affordable prices. Pop in at our Ammo Shop in sunny Alentene.

Yuix Grislin
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2013-10-15 11:52:31 UTC
Welcome back to EVE.
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#39 - 2013-10-15 11:54:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
GreGh Rakrot wrote:
I guess I should shed some light on this situation since it came this far.

Psyrus Baine was member of Rionnag Alba in 2008-09. Was fairly active but then started playing less and less and eventually quit EVE due to being in hospital all the time receiving cancer treatment.
He came back to the game recently and inquired if he could rejoin. I knew him so I told him he can. We talked ingame in R A public channel where Aussie Willy (CEO of Ever Flow and member of NCdot) was present as well. Important to know is we recently left NCdot on good terms after being there for 3 years since the formation of the alliance. We also always had good relationship with Aussie Willy and Ever Flow.

Today Psyrus Baine logged in to move his stuff to low sec and then apply to our corp as agreed. Aussie Willy used the fact that previously with me present we all chatted in very friendly terms and convinced Psyrus that he will sort him a cyno which Psyrus accepted. Aussie Willy of course couldnt have known about Psyrus' medical condition so he cant be condemned for that, but he did abuse our friendship in convincing Psyrus to trust him. Never the less, Psyrus should have known better not to trust random people in public channel but I guess he wasnt in best state of mind due to anticancer drugs and was misguided by the friendly way Aussie Willy and myself chatted and joked in said public channel.

EVE is harsh game and people cant usually know what is happening to other players in RL when they blow up their spaceship pixels, so calling them sociopaths for that is unnecessary. Abusing long term friendship even if its only ingame is another thing but that is partially my fault in allowing Aussie Willy to abuse that in the first place.

Psyrus I wish you good luck with your treatment and recovery. You also shouldnt try to get some sort of recognition on forums as they are universally not trusted and in general not really the best place to vent your feelings. Dont let some imaginary spaceship pixels get you down. After all life is so much more then this hobby we call EVE.

Sure, this shines a lot of light on the situation. It reveals the fact that the situation in no way called for a public forum post condemning almost everyone in the game when a PM to the person responsible would have been sufficient. It's easy to call people sociopaths when you're angry that they don't conform to your own standards of morality, but everyone is different, people don't like people that are different to them, and more importantly, we're playing a video game here. There are no sociopaths because you don't know a damn thing about a single player to make that diagnosis, nor do I expect anyone here possesses the necessary qualifications to diagnose sociopathy.

Secondly, as a diagnosed ACTUAL sociopath myself, a comorbid condition that is commonly associated with the developmental disorder autism, I don't appreciate the negative connotations that are associated with the word. Not that there's much I can do about it, but one thing people need to realise is that one is not a bad person just by virtue of being sociopathic. In fact, there are many sociopaths living perfectly normal lives all around us, in real life, on a daily basis. I take no offence being called a sociopath because I am one, I take offence because it's intended as an insult as a result of nothing but anger.

Finally, having cancer is not an excuse for mercy in this game. As I stated above, you know what you're getting yourself into the moment you log in to this game. Every time you undock, you've already signed a contract saying that you agree to lose the ship you have undocked in. It should be the expectation on everyone's mind for the duration of their time in that ship, whether they lose it or not. If he wanted a game to help him take his mind off things, he could have chosen something a little more forgiving.

But at the end of the day, there is absolutely no excuse and no reason to post the way he did in the OP. It makes him the bad guy at the end of the day. Believe it or not, guilt trips are actually a form of bullying. Just like '**** shaming', it's an attempt to make people feel guilty for something they have no reason to feel guilty for. It's ridiculously childish and he SHOULD feel ashamed for it. As an aside, and associated but only slightly analogous, it always amuses me when people post those anti-bullying posters all over the internet that accuse you of being part of the problem if you don't share them, which as a guilt trip is in and of itself, ironically, a form of bullying.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#40 - 2013-10-15 12:02:58 UTC
This was definitely threadworthy.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal