These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ishukone Ships and Surrounding issues... Coming SOON (TM)

First post First post First post
Author
Shai 'Hulud
#161 - 2013-10-09 15:54:07 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
CCP Manifest wrote:
Gilbaron wrote:
next time you take half the company on vacation, please communicate that

There are security reasons why that's a bad idea that I can't really argue with.

However you could have said something like "the relevant devs are currently absent, we are going to look into the problem as soon as theyre back", it doesnt state how many are away, why they are and how long they are away, but its a sign of life and thats all we were asking for.

Further, there are certain jobs that require a little bit of your time outside regular hours (even on vacation). I have had many such jobs. I suspect most that accept this excuse have not.

Either the responsibilities of those absent should have been delegated to others during this time, or the people on vacation should have been "on call." It's not 1952... I think he probably had phone and internet access. The first post in this thread would have taken a whole 15 minutes out of his vacation. It is CCP's responsibility to maintain sufficient staff levels at all times. They admittedly failed in this regard here.

The most useful slaves are those that believe themselves to be free

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#162 - 2013-10-09 15:55:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Jenn aSide wrote:
But the underlined part is something i think is a big deal for some of you, while being something I think is dumb.

I don't play EVE online so someone will care about me.
…and that's not what he said, which is probably why you think it's dumb: because most strawmen are. CCP keeps trotting out this notion that they care about the community. After all, that's the rationalisation for this give-away. They should care about the community because it's what has kept this game going for such a long time, and which has provided them with numerous rewards and media opportunities. All previous instances of them deviating from that has led to some disaster or other, so they have all the experience needed to realise what a bad idea it is to not care about what is probably the most precious part of their IP.

Quote:
The idea that they are supposed to "care" is one of those
…logical conclusions that one draws from their own statements and from the nature of their game: one where the community creates a large part of the game and keeps it all together.

Oh and…
Quote:
That's beyond silly. I'm not on welfare lol.
…it's no more silly than the nonsensical generalisations you keep trotting out.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#163 - 2013-10-09 16:00:49 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
But the underlined part is something i think is a big deal for some of you, while being something I think is dumb.

I don't play EVE online so someone will care about me.
…and that's not what he said, which is probably why you think it's dumb: because most strawmen are. CCP keeps trotting out this notion that they care about the community. After all, that's the rationalisation for this give-away. They should care about the community because it's what has kept this game going for such a long time, and which has provided them with numerous rewards and media opportunities. All previous instances of them deviating from that has led to some disaster or other, so they have all the experience needed to realise what a bad idea it is to not care about what is probably the most precious part of their IP.

Quote:
The idea that they are supposed to "care" is one of those
…logical conclusions that one draws from their statements and from the nature of their game: one where the community creates a large part of the game and keeps it all together.

Oh and…
Quote:
That's beyond silly. I'm not on welfare lol.
…it's no more silly than the nonsensical generalisations you keep trotting out.

What they say doesn't matter. Reality matters. The Reality is that CCP owes no one anything more than what they promise when you sub. Access to the game. The rest is just fluff.

If you fall for all that "I care about you" stuff from any business (not just CCP), well, that's no different than believing in the generosity of Nigerian Princes or the availability of Beach Front property in Montana.
Shai 'Hulud
#164 - 2013-10-09 16:05:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Shai 'Hulud
Jenn aSide wrote:
What they say doesn't matter. Reality matters. The Reality is that CCP owes no one anything more than what they promise when you sub. Access to the game. The rest is just fluff.

If you fall for all that "I care about you" stuff from any business (not just CCP), well, that's no different than believing in the generosity of Nigerian Princes or the availability of Beach Front property in Montana.

You're right. CCP shouldn't "care" about any one of us more than another. That's why this favoritism breaks the sandbox.

edit: shortened qoute

The most useful slaves are those that believe themselves to be free

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#165 - 2013-10-09 16:10:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Jenn aSide wrote:
What they say doesn't matter.
Sure it does, because it means you are being very silly and dumb for calling people silly and dumb when they repeat the official CCP stance.

The reality of the matter is that if CCP starts showing favouritism, contrary to their official stance, then the very foundation of their business will rapidly be lost. You may not care about them handing out BPOs or ISK, or switching sov for their favourite of the day, but when those actions rob you of your pass-time, you can feign indifference all you like but we both know it's not true.

Symbolism has a very nasty tendency to become reality faster than people imagine any time they choose to ignore it and/or (incorrectly) believe it to be unimportant.
Miasmos
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#166 - 2013-10-09 16:21:31 UTC
Tippia weighing in with a slippery slope ?-)

On subject, actions that stain the purity of the sandbox economically or thematically are not good for the longevity of the game. Off subject, CCP is lately steering towards this worse direction with things like pay-to-inject-equipment Dust514 economy looking to infest the sandbox. What's next, purchaseable AURUM battleships for your "casual friendly" nullsec fleet warfare?
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#167 - 2013-10-09 16:28:43 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

It has been proven many times before that CCP are willing to change their decisions based on community feedback. We don't fall for anything, we don't feel entitled to anything, we just hope that this generosity will be repeated again.
raven666wings
Cyber Chaos Crew
#168 - 2013-10-09 16:32:03 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

Even CCP people must be getting embarassed as they read your posts, pulling their pants up and running away from so much ass kissing.
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#169 - 2013-10-09 16:36:48 UTC
CCP Manifest wrote:
Gilbaron wrote:

There are security reasons why that's a bad idea that I can't really argue with.

So... who was appointed designated survivor? Twisted

NickSuccorso
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#170 - 2013-10-09 16:40:20 UTC
#1. I very much enjoy Eve

#2. CCP has made a massive effort to work more directly with the player base

Thank you CCP for the game we all enjoy. Ignore the trolls that think Jita is burning because of this. It was a minor but well intentioned PR mistake.
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#171 - 2013-10-09 16:43:43 UTC
Better late than never.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Careby
#172 - 2013-10-09 16:46:49 UTC
The Warfish wrote:
...Also CCP, a lesson to the wise.....transparency works wonders.

Well, to be fair, transparency only works if what you're being transparent about is acceptable to whomever you are showing it to. Otherwise, secrecy may be a better option, provided the secrets can be kept secret.
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#173 - 2013-10-09 16:50:23 UTC
Thank you CCP :)
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#174 - 2013-10-09 16:50:44 UTC
...and whine started second round

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#175 - 2013-10-09 16:54:52 UTC
The tears after the devblog are going to be glorious!
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#176 - 2013-10-09 17:00:52 UTC
CCP Manifest wrote:
On a personal note, I wish I had carved more time out of my vacation to lend to communication on this, and I apologize for that. I spent several hours researching and answering media requests (TheMittani.com, Gameskinny and as the "CCP spokesperson" for Kotaku) and getting as caught up as I could remotely, but I should have at least blueposted that we were listening here and elsewhere and discussing things internally.

My job duties suggest that I'm the guy that responds to media when requested, but I should have made that a second stop in this case. We have since dissected things more and hope the newer update will put many a capsuleer heart that bleeds for the sanctity of New Eden at ease.

Thank you for that.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#177 - 2013-10-09 17:01:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Miasmos wrote:
Tippia weighing in with a slippery slope ?-)
With CCP having slipped down this particular slope on a couple occasions already, and with the MMO business being what it is — community-reliant — thereby providing numerous other examples, the continuum is fairly well known…
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#178 - 2013-10-09 17:07:13 UTC
CCP Manifest wrote:
Gilbaron wrote:

This. Don't ever let anyone know you are doing anything other than business as usual.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#179 - 2013-10-09 17:08:26 UTC
Cameron Freerunner wrote:
You'd be a fool to give up vacation time and "real" time with your loved ones to deal with game related issues. I hope you had a wonderful time and created memories that your family will remember for many years.

[and now back to the meta game]

No good will come of this. All you've done is expand the meta game and stoke resentment.

To be fair, most salary and high importance related staff don't treat their job as "9-5" when they enjoy their job.

We ain't flippin burgers here!

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#180 - 2013-10-09 17:17:04 UTC
I Love Boobies wrote:
I sense more butthurt after the blog comes out. People will be upset because they will realize they won't be getting shinies too. CCP could always give everyone one of those Scorpions... kinda like they gave away the Gnosis. That way, everyone will have one, and the ones that people did get in the past won't be special any longer. Twisted

It would encourage more people to be the source of player driven events and community efforts as opposed to being just a pricey reward to a business...

+1