These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#661 - 2013-10-06 00:33:45 UTC
Nobani wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:
help help help my purely vanity item is shooting missiles and jamming people help help this isn't meant to be

please be stupid enough to actually pay 20 billion for one and undock from jita saying you will jam every one... please.

Wait, I thought they weren't worth anything because they only refined to 1 trit? Why would anyone pay 20b for one?

because people were under the false assumption that it was a Legacy item which it is not and were paying that much.

though now we know better and its not...

but goons keep yelling 20 billion 520 billion 647 quajillion!

as if saying number means anything.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Nobani
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#662 - 2013-10-06 00:40:00 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Nobani wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:
help help help my purely vanity item is shooting missiles and jamming people help help this isn't meant to be

please be stupid enough to actually pay 20 billion for one and undock from jita saying you will jam every one... please.

Wait, I thought they weren't worth anything because they only refined to 1 trit? Why would anyone pay 20b for one?

because people were under the false assumption that it was a Legacy item which it is not and were paying that much.

Final definitive proof I am not Jonathan Swift.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#663 - 2013-10-06 00:40:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
The owner of the ship will not have any advantage over other players in the game by using the given item

Pretty sure 20billion ISK being handed to you is 'an advantage'

Try again?

Please, read what I said: USING the item... with "using" as a key word.

Don't get me wrong, I am against favoritism and think that CCP should have handled this in a different way: Just like they have community spotlight which can as well be maliciously interpreted as an advantage to the entity being in the official spotlight (which, by the way no one sane has anything against), they could have started a public campaign of giving vanity painted Scorpions to entities described in the community spotlight.

That is the only error I see here - every prominent community member deserves the same treatment in an open manner: EveMon, EFT, Dotlan, EDK leaders, Chribba, EOH, EveHQ guys (if they are still in the game)... etc. and yes, including Somer. You'll note that many of those entities make ISK on what they provide as well, so that is not an issue in one specific case of Somer.

And just in case, no, I don't play or like lotteries for ISK or in RL for money, but I do see content provided to those who do play them.

Edit: just remembered some news sites... Whoever runs EVE News24 and The mittani as two primary news and column feed sources are in the prominent community group as well. How would your story be if website tech guys in Goonswarm got the same reward from CCP for running one of the two most informative news sites in EVE? I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling that you wouldn't react in this way.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#664 - 2013-10-06 00:41:02 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Nobani wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Jesus wept .. you missed that laden-thick sarcasm again.

The entire Eve economy is based on supply and demand, so I honestly struggle to work out how you can't realise that nearly-unique collectables are worth something because of their limited supply.

Also: their current and future ISK value is almost completely irrelevant to the point - one which you are either failing to grasp due to an inability to do so, or are simply trolling.

I would be concerned for you if it turned out to be the former, yet it seems more and more likely with every message where you quote someone and demonstrate you haven't a clue what they're saying.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#665 - 2013-10-06 00:45:19 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
The owner of the ship will not have any advantage over other players in the game by using the given item

Pretty sure 20billion ISK being handed to you is 'an advantage'

Try again?

Please, read what I said: USING the item... with "using" as a key word.

Don't get me wrong, I am against favoritism and think that CCP should have handled this in a different way: Just like they have community spotlight which can as well be maliciously interpreted as an advantage to the entity being in the official spotlight (which, by the way no one sane has anything against), they could have started a public campaign of giving vanity painted Scorpions to entities described in the community spotlight.

That is the only error I see here - every prominent community member deserves the same treatment in an open manner: EveMon, EFT, Dotlan, EDK leaders, Chribba, EOH, EveHQ guys (if they are still in the game)... etc. and yes, including Somer. You'll note that many of those entities make ISK on what they provide as well, so that is not an issue in one specific case of Somer.

And just in case, no, I don't play or like lotteries for ISK or in RL for money, but I do see content provided to those who do play them.

Well, yes, I guess. No-one really cares what was given out but that

1) They were given to one group
2) Privately
3) With the CEO getting the impression he needed to keep it quiet

That they're the self-same items that kickstarted the Summer of rage is a kind of dramatic irony that only CCP are insensitive to, and therefore blunder into on a (now) weekly basis.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

eFart
kiddos corect flight
#666 - 2013-10-06 00:47:42 UTC
cpp and homoblink did it right you guys burned a lotta isk in this shit
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#667 - 2013-10-06 00:48:55 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
2) Privately

That they're the self-same items that kickstarted the Summer of rage is a kind of dramatic irony that only CCP are insensitive to, and therefore blunder into on a (now) weekly basis.

It's only because eve online platers are not good enough to accept such things

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#668 - 2013-10-06 00:50:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Well, yes, I guess. No-one really cares what was given out but that

2) Privately

Yes! Exactly... THAT is the real problem that should be rubbed all over CCP's noses, not the item itself or having the reward program. By all means the reward program can and should exist to drive the community and developers forward, but it MUST be public.
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Well, not exactly... the summer of rage was started because of "Pay to win" items.
A Research Alt
Perkone
Caldari State
#669 - 2013-10-06 00:50:35 UTC
The secrecy to which Somer aspired about the whole thing speaks volumes about its legitimacy.
Odaka Narumi
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#670 - 2013-10-06 00:52:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Odaka Narumi
Nobani wrote:

Even if the final value of the Scorpions is 10k ISK it doesn't matter, since they can be sold NOW.

To be exact, many of them will have been sold before collectors/interested parties were aware there were another 30 on the market. With rare items the value drops with the number available by their reduction in rarity. Because of how this was done, with the gift being done in secret, the employees being told not to make it public, those which were sold before now were done so into a market that believed there were 80-90 or so, not 110-120 of them.

So by keeping it all secret, CCP ensured the resale value for Somer blink employees remained high and wasn't reduced by the public knowledge of their 'gifts'.

Fundamentally though, this is the same problem as them giving Somer blink unprecedented 'gifts' for them to auction off. While they could have just sold them, they still made hundreds of billion of isk in profit because of the increased visits to their site. So CCP essentially gave them prizes knowing that the end result would make Somer blink even more piles of isk because of their largesse.
Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#671 - 2013-10-06 00:56:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Antihrist Pripravnik
Odaka Narumi wrote:
Nobani wrote:

Even if the final value of the Scorpions is 10k ISK it doesn't matter, since they can be sold NOW.

To be exact, many of them will have been sold before collectors/interested parties were aware there were another 30 on the market. With rare items the value drops with the number available by their reduction in rarity. Because of how this was done, with the gift being done in secret, the employees being told not to make it public, those which were sold before now were done so into a market that believed there were 80-90 or so, not 110-120 of them.

So by keeping it all secret, CCP ensured the resale value for Somer blink employees remained high and wasn't reduced by the public knowledge of their 'gifts'.

Fundamentally though, this is the same problem as them giving Somer blink unprecedented 'gifts' for them to auction off. While they could have just sold them, they still made hundreds of billion of isk in profit because of the increased visits to their site. So CCP essentially gave them prizes knowing that the end result would make Somer blink even more piles of isk because of their largesse.

My point exactly... It's not the items - it's the way they were given that makes problems.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#672 - 2013-10-06 01:00:10 UTC
A Research Alt wrote:
The secrecy to which Somer aspired about the whole thing speaks volumes about its legitimacy.

Or the inability of eve online players to "deal with it"

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#673 - 2013-10-06 01:09:41 UTC
So....when does every Goon get their Intaki Syndicate Catalyst? Havent they done a lot for this game as well?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Ra Jackson
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#674 - 2013-10-06 01:34:43 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:

See, CCP? This is the customer you will be keeping after the dust settles. People that don't comprehend the simplest ideas of a market.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#675 - 2013-10-06 01:38:28 UTC
Mehrunes666 Dagon wrote:
Imiarr Timshae wrote:
I would like to say that this is a shocking and unprecedented show of CCP acting moronically.

Sadly it isn't true.

To quote myself during the "$1000 jeans" debacle:

"CCP Says : This is our swimming pool. We are going to **** in the pool. You can stay in the pool or you can get out of the pool. But we are still going to **** in the pool."

I would like to say that, that is a horrible way to keep customers.

doesn't matter if the customers are addicts
the dealer can beat up the crackwhore, she'll still keep on coming back for the product
they've got a captive market and they know it
Pretty Maria
Jita 08-15 Trading
#676 - 2013-10-06 01:59:43 UTC
I would like a damnation bpo then. :) just place it in my jita hangar. Also give my alt one please!

Thanks!
Finarfin
Cerulean Void
#677 - 2013-10-06 02:12:37 UTC
This was a VERY questionable move by CCP and implies that little has been learnt from past failures. I really would like to hear an exlanation on this one.
Literally Space Moses
Perkone
Caldari State
#678 - 2013-10-06 02:13:18 UTC
I'll resub if CCP give me a Levi. It cant be reprocessed into anything, so it has no in-game value.

#T2013

Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#679 - 2013-10-06 02:22:15 UTC
I just want to know why thats all. Not to hard right? i`m not mad just want to know it.
Johnny Marzetti
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#680 - 2013-10-06 02:29:46 UTC
MeBiatch wrote:
Nobani wrote:
MeBiatch wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Take a basic economics course when you get to college or at least high school and get back to us.