These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP directly and secretly gifted SOMER Blink 30 Ishukone Scorpions (~450 billion ISK value)

First post First post First post
Author
Kehro Urgus
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#221 - 2013-10-05 12:01:50 UTC
:popcorn:

Yeeee! 

Doris Dents
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#222 - 2013-10-05 12:05:08 UTC
Johnny Marzetti wrote:
I actually hope this isn't true, and that TheMittani.com got fed a bogus story, because basically it would mean I've paid for and put time into a game that's no different from some teenager's personal game server in which he drops loot for his buddies.

Seriously, it's getting beyond pathetic.
Riyal
invidious Squid
#223 - 2013-10-05 12:07:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Riyal
Wow, CCP needs to rethink its policy on this or control its employees, whichever applies.

The T20 incident didn't already cover why this is a bad idea?

In hindsight my post should have had more psssshhhh

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#224 - 2013-10-05 12:09:43 UTC
Delete the Scorpions, fire the CCP employees involved with this mess and ban everyone from somer blink. Problem solved.

The Tears Must Flow

Ed Tekki
Doomheim
#225 - 2013-10-05 12:34:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Ed Tekki
Hi CCP,

I'm Ed Tekki. Dean at Grief University, DUST's premier metagaming corp. We have contributed about 95% of all player generated content for DUST so far, including the very first DUST AWOX, Kill-resing (which has really taken off now) and other wonderful things that have lit up the DUST community in it's very darkest hours, and I'm deligted to hear that due to your new system of rewarding people who generate ingame content, I'll be recieving loads of free stuff to distribute to my students and fellow proffessors very soon!

I eagerly await your evemail detailing what and when we will be recieving, and my students and proffessors are very excited at the news.

Sincerly

Dean of Grief University
Proffessor Edward Tekki BA(teerz) MA PHd
Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#226 - 2013-10-05 12:39:17 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
This is my personal, initial reaction to this news. I want to emphasize that I do not have any significant non-public information about this, nor has the CSM had time to get any information from CCP.

1) CCP has the right to give away Ishukone Scorpions to anyone they want to, for any reason. They are a promotional item.

2) The choice of who they give them to (or don't give them to) has consequences in the community.

3) The recent SOMER-gate uproar means the consequences of this earlier interaction have magnified significance.

My initial impression is that the problem here is not that SOMER got the ships, but that the reward (and any others that CCP may have given out) were not made public.

"Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman." -- Louis D. Brandeis, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court

You really don't get it....
Public or secret, it changes nothing : if this was public we would still find it unfair, see what has happened with somergate 1.
Your CSM colleague in another thread fail the same way than you to understand this basic fact.
In fact they all failed to answer our main concern.
You CSM have been created after a similar scandal to avoid that it happens again, and now you are as effective and dynamic as a piece of butter and have no wish at all to put in danger your position of CCP's spokespersons.

All what you are able to tell us is :
1) we cannot speak because the NDA
2) even when it's not under the NDA, we don't want to tell you, "for your own good" (words from another of your colleagues).
3) CCP is the boss, they can do what they want and we have nothing to say.

What it shows is that we can't rely on you to defend us players against CCP's skulduggeries.
arabella blood
Keyboard Jihad
#227 - 2013-10-05 13:01:55 UTC  |  Edited by: arabella blood
Just to be clear - CCP already has a program of rewording players!!

Its called "Media account" - and its basiclly playing for free.

VV got it, CSM members got it, and perhaps some more i don't know of.

...so that wasn't enough reward? they had to give them ships???

Troll for hire. Cheap prices.

Iniuria Viget
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#228 - 2013-10-05 13:05:06 UTC
CCP can do what it likes with its promotional internet spaceships, but why give them away in secret? Not much promotion there.
Why did SOMER receive them in secret? The way the leaked Mahm e-mail is written it implies that SOMER were asked to keep their gift low profile.

Are CCP deliberately trying to create scandals to get more publicity?
SKINE DMZ
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#229 - 2013-10-05 13:13:06 UTC
A business is not a community website, otherwise you might as well start donating ships to everyone within the CODE for having done so much for our community!

I can't believe you give these ships to a lottery... a lottery even before ISD, r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d.

I disagree

Entity
X-Factor Industries
Synthetic Existence
#230 - 2013-10-05 13:16:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Entity
Interesting people don't even check facts before posting on a news outlet.

Autumnries Mahm is an impersonator, he has been spamming trade chat with a scam all of last two days.

RollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRollRoll

Woops, my bad, I need glasses :)

╦......║...╔╗.║.║.╔╗.╦║.╔╗╔╦╗╔╗

║.╔╗╔╗╔╣.╔╗╠..╠ ╠╗╠╝.║╠ ╠╝║║║╚╗

╩═╚╝║.╚╝.╚╝║..╚╝║║╚╝.╩╚╝╚╝║.║╚╝

Got Item?

Blanca Meadow
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#231 - 2013-10-05 13:20:29 UTC
It's simple and easy.
Blink causes players to win/loose isk.
Players that lost isk, want to have isk back.
What's easiest way to have isk? Buy PLEX.
More isk lost on gambling=more PLEXes bought=more income for CCP.
It's not any 'CCP favrourite fansite', it's simply their best business partner, bringing income to CCP...
Ursula Thrace
Dreamland Augmented Consortium
#232 - 2013-10-05 13:22:20 UTC
if this pans out to be true, it's very disappointing news.
NenYim
Janitor Corporation
#233 - 2013-10-05 13:23:44 UTC
James Arget wrote:
/me facepalms

This is not what I was looking forward to dealing with tonight.

i understand CCP gifting a few plex... im ok with that but the way they did it and the magnitude..... IDIOTS!

PS, Somer is a business and is run like one, they make a massive profit and im happy they sponsor some of our content but that doesn't change the fact that they still make a bucket load of isk from there players...
MinnieGirl
Secret Reason Enterprise
#234 - 2013-10-05 13:24:55 UTC
I'm starting to regret buying a year's subscription for this game. What I should have done was develop external software (websites, industry calcs, spreadsheets, market bots, mining bots) in order to not only rake in insane amounts of ISK no paying subscriber will ever be able to match, but also get REWARDED for it for providing "game content".

I've seen more game content from spammers, bots and ISK sellers than these guys. Can I get a refund for the remaining of the 1 year subscription I bought?
Deka Ekato
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#235 - 2013-10-05 13:28:52 UTC
No matter how much of a cash cow Somer is to CCP, this blatant favouritism towards Somer is unfair and digustingly bad. In all fairness to the Eve community, it has to stop.

CCP, why are you doing this? ( Besides thanking Somer for CCP gaining a means of a cash revenue. )

Is Eve now "Pay To Win"? It sure seems that way.SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad
Doris Dents
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#236 - 2013-10-05 13:29:17 UTC
Blanca Meadow wrote:
It's simple and easy.
Blink causes players to win/loose isk.
Players that lost isk, want to have isk back.
What's easiest way to have isk? Buy PLEX.
More isk lost on gambling=more PLEXes bought=more income for CCP.
It's not any 'CCP favrourite fansite', it's simply their best business partner, bringing income to CCP...

That's fine, give them a tour of the CCP offices, send them a megathron model, have them go drinking with their good buddy Navigator, give them actual cash. None of that would effect the integrity of the game we all pay for one way or another. Spawning masses of in-game crap might seem the quick, easy and low cost option but it hurts the EVE brand if the sandbox is a lie and we're actually playing a game with handpicked winners.
Gamer4liff
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#237 - 2013-10-05 13:31:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Gamer4liff
Hey yeah, I'm gonna say it again. If this kind of thing is as disgustingly commonplace as it looks, where the hell is Mitten's Ishukone Watch Scorpion? Goonswarm is responsible for a huge chunk of CCP's revenue after all, and runs the best news service via TM.com. What makes these chuckle-****s running a large lottery scam and a few community events more important to the eve community than the countless hours of gameplay content created by Goonswarm?

Shame CCP, for shame.

A comprehensive proposal for balancing T2 Production: here

Josef Djugashvilis
#238 - 2013-10-05 13:32:37 UTC
Trebor Daehdoow wrote:
This is my personal, initial reaction to this news. I want to emphasize that I do not have any significant non-public information about this, nor has the CSM had time to get any information from CCP.

1) CCP has the right to give away Ishukone Scorpions to anyone they want to, for any reason. They are a promotional item.

2) The choice of who they give them to (or don't give them to) has consequences in the community.

3) The recent SOMER-gate uproar means the consequences of this earlier interaction have magnified significance.

My initial impression is that the problem here is not that SOMER got the ships, but that the reward (and any others that CCP may have given out) were not made public.

"Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman." -- Louis D. Brandeis, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Dear Trebor, do try to keep up.

It is not the secrecy etc that is the main issue, bad as that is.

It is the fact that CCP is favouring a player corp.

As bad as I am at Eve, I like to think that at least we are all playing by the same rules and those who do well, do so by their own efforts, not their own efforts and some help from CCP.

I would suggest that the CSM take this up with CCP, but they seem to ignore you as a group.

This is not a signature.

The Greenmachine Greenmachine
Green's Bicycle Shop
#239 - 2013-10-05 13:33:30 UTC
THIS IS MADNESS
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#240 - 2013-10-05 13:37:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
What's striking about the entire situation involving SOMER is not so much that they're being gifted items, it's the lack of gifted items to people and groups that have been in the game longer and done much much more to actually promote the game by encouraging, teaching, providing tools & education to play the game. They get nothing, and many of them do it as a charity to CCP who is too ******* lazy to do it themselves.

Honestly, if I were one of these people who ran a fansite, I'd shut it down. I would consider this a slap in the face. If major portions of game content, and lets face it, most of the content for the game is meta and player developed, disappeared like the market sites, the online tutorials, the system/corp/alliance information sites the game would lose all but basic playability. I can't play the game without utilizing at least 3 player developed and ran sites a day who do it for zero commercial profit. If they weren't available I seriously don't know how I would play the game.

If I setup PI, off to Eve-uni's site. If I do some market research, off to eve-central or eve-market (my own personal spreadsheets pull from these sites). If I'm tooling around w-space, off to wormnav and siggy is a must have. Or nullsec/losec then its dotlan. If I'm setting up some new ships, over to EFT. Setting up a skill plan, Evemon (though BC does it for profit), but then there's also EveHQ which afaik is non-profit. If I'm running intel on a person a see in space, any of the plethora of kill-boards to get more info of ship fittings, groups, etc, etc, etc.

Seems to me, shooting the monument is just so Incarna, perhaps the players need to protest by asking the creators of the content that makes the game actually playable to coordinate a blackout in protest.

Don't ban me, bro!