These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

[Proposal] Free to Play : Pay to Train

First post
Author
X Gallentius
Quantum Cats Syndicate
Spaceship Bebop
#21 - 2013-10-24 21:27:34 UTC
Locutus ofBorg wrote:
Lykouleon wrote:
No.
Any elaboration or counter argument there?

Somebody has to pay for the game. More paying accounts equals healthier game with more devs, etc...
Lord Zilla Waffer
The Sovereign Forge
#22 - 2013-10-25 18:35:57 UTC
Locutus ofBorg wrote:
Hello all,

I have been playing eve for close to 8 years now and in my time I have grown to love and hate EVE at the same time. I love the free sandbox experience where you make the game your own and decide how you want to play. On the other side of that coin, I hate that I have to pay a monthly subscription for that experience.

The Problem: Many of the old guard are running out of things to train due to their character age. This is resulting in useless skills being trained so that we don't miss out on the SP, though the argument could be made that the very simple solution to this is train skills on your alt.

The Solution: Allow people to play EVE for free, but restrict the training of skills to paid "Premium" accounts which have all the benefits of the current subscriber account. These free accounts could be restricted in some ways, but that restriction would have to hold true to the EVE experience and not tie the hands of the player the way Trial accounts are restricted. Being able to trade, create contracts, and play the game how you choose should not be impacted by this free to play model, only the ability to train skills should be the defining factor here.

[Discuss!]


Currently you can train a secondary character in addition to your main for a plex a month. Without said plex you still have access to that said character. I can see how from a logical perspective your argument holds weight.

HOWEVER, this would lead to a massive increase in gank alts and cyno alts. Furthermore you would risk destabilizing the economy of eve by making Plex an optional thing to buy (and interestingly enough arguments could be made either way on whether we would be facing super inflation or a general decrease in cost, regardless changes to the price of plex directly affect the changes in the price of EVERYTHING in eve. If you don't believe me go take an economics class or two).

On top of that you completely change the fan-base of eve to be mostly a bunch of snot nosed kids that otherwise couldn't have afforded eve and now get to run rampet shouting obscenities and ruining the role playing and political environments of eve. One thing that has always amazed me is that the people who play eve, interesting enough, on average tend to be older more mature players with jobs and responsibilities. Just all around no. I could go on for days about how you would completely ruin everything that is eve. If you don't want to pay for Eve, but still want to be in eve. Go play Dust. A free to play model would completely ruin everything.



Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#23 - 2013-10-27 23:13:04 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
NO

This would be terrible for Eve.

Can you imagine the amount of free accounts doing the following -

Mining
Blob warfare
Ganking
Trading
spamming scams
etc

There is so many things you can do in Eve with only a few months skillpoints. All of these things will be done with free accounts.



This.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#24 - 2013-11-02 19:47:18 UTC
Locutus ofBorg wrote:
Hello all,

I have been playing eve for close to 8 years now and in my time I have grown to love and hate EVE at the same time. I love the free sandbox experience where you make the game your own and decide how you want to play. On the other side of that coin, I hate that I have to pay a monthly subscription for that experience.

The Problem: Many of the old guard are running out of things to train due to their character age. This is resulting in useless skills being trained so that we don't miss out on the SP, though the argument could be made that the very simple solution to this is train skills on your alt.

The Solution: Allow people to play EVE for free, but restrict the training of skills to paid "Premium" accounts which have all the benefits of the current subscriber account. These free accounts could be restricted in some ways, but that restriction would have to hold true to the EVE experience and not tie the hands of the player the way Trial accounts are restricted. Being able to trade, create contracts, and play the game how you choose should not be impacted by this free to play model, only the ability to train skills should be the defining factor here.

[Discuss!]


Making it F2P would break the game.

Simple as that.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Aton Belesar
Doomheim
#25 - 2013-11-12 12:34:23 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:


Making it F2P would break the game.

Simple as that.


Not empty quoting.
Homem na Estrada
#26 - 2013-11-12 18:26:34 UTC
First, you may not run out of things to train even if you started your char when eve started. You may be in lack of core skills, or focused on one faction, one profession, one line of one side. Simply: You can do the math, to have all skills to be reasonably bloating you have only useless skills to train you must have been playing EVE longer than EVE existed.

Neverthless, the idea is crappy. Anything free means no value. If EVE is cheap enough to have people running around as if ISK grow in trees and have no maket respect for people's ingame work, you assume that the only reason you pay is to train skills ?

They still have to have infra structure paid, space and processing allocated and so on, EVEN IF YOU DONT LOG IN BUT IS ENTITLED TO, so there is no logic, there is no reason, and there is no value in making it happen.

There are two powers: Power of Numbers and Power of Leadership They compensate or add to each other, but nothing compensates or add to having neither. Politics: If you dont use it, it will use you.

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-11-13 04:54:14 UTC
No, just no.

I value the game and pay for a subscription to it (except this year).

I have played (and still do) many F2P games and would not want to see that happen here. Ever.

Stop paying, stop caring, watch a community die and make no mistake . . . in my opinion community is what makes this glorified chat program in space special, spreadsheets and all.

No

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Previous page12