These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

sick of plex prices

Author
LacLongQuan
Jitrawa Incorporated
#101 - 2011-10-31 21:12:49 UTC
Hyacinthous wrote:

Who cares, don't like it - don't allow plex to be bought in game for game time. This is like a toddler whining about someone doing something that only that toddler can do.

This is the exact reason why CCP is failing, they are putting Revenue infront of Creative discipline. Money before their product. When a company does a bad job, there are consequences. If the game was designed and setup properly it wouldn't simply be a case of "pay to win" like it is now. It's a matter of fact that anyone with a lot of money can pretty much buy their way through Eve Online and anyone who doesn't want to pay doesn't have to, but is fairly limited (by time) in what they can do with the game. Someone who is willing to buy plex with money can turn it into isk and then sink all that isk into whatever they want, the people who work for it have to mindlessly do boring dull things to make enough isk just to buy one. The greedy soul-less people that have hundreds of plex and fund their accounts with them have stolen them from other people who bought them, probably through ganking and only because CCP won't correct the major fundamental design flaws with their game - and so the problem will continue until they confront the issues.

you mad??
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#102 - 2011-10-31 21:18:24 UTC
Teresa Wisemail wrote:
I would like to throw another variable into this discussion about the "cost of money" of isk.

CCP has made an agreement with Nexon (A MMO operator in Japan) so that Nexon will be providing billing and localization support to Japan-based players. The catch is that all players accessing from Japan will have to access EVE through Nexon's portal, and they will have to pay using "Nexon points" (Nexon's own virtual currency).

The concern I have here is that an entirely separate money supply governed by completely different rules may end up influencing isk's cost of money. One glaring problem is that Nexon points can be exchanged with other virtual commodities, and are not solely backed with cold hard cash. For example, a player in Nexon's other popular MMO "Maple Story" can sell in-game equipment for Nexon Points. I probably don't need to provide much more detail on how certain types of players will be very effective at racking up a lot of Nexon Points and potentially let that capital flow into the isk money supply. Perhaps CCP has already hedged against that risk, but I have not heard anything to that effect. All I am hearing (and official GM responses that have been received by Japanese players) is "don't worry." Famous last words, anyone?

Not only that, Nexon allows (well, they actually sell these rights) other advertisers the right to use Nexon Points as lures for their promotions, such as the common "sign up now and get 300 Nexon Points for free!." In fact, a very dedicated individual can go around a bunch of promotion sites, registering a bunch of throw-away e-mail addresses to create a bank of virtual currency, and convert those Nexon Points to whatever service provided by Nexon (including access to EVE-- I don't think it's confirmed whether people can directly buy PLEX with Nexon points).

Regardless of whether PLEX can or can not be bought with Nexon Points does not matter, because Nexon points can be gained without spending real money and without contributing to any economic activity within the EVE universe. I personally don't think there is any problem with players buying PLEX within EVE as they would have had to make ISK somehow through generating economic activity inside the sandbox. Nexon points, on the other hand, introduces an unknown factor in terms of economic activity that is external to EVE. How does CCP gain the benefit of that sort of external economic activity?

Perhaps someone who's smarter than myself can help me understand the business model here. It seems like CCP will just keep losing money (potentially) and PLEX values can deflate with people being able to play EVE using non-EVE virtual currency.

I doubt the Japanese player base is large enough to cause a substantial impact on the plex market. Not only that I don't believe that Nexon will be issuing plexes or allowed to convert points to Plex. All Nexon is taking over is the billing aspect for Japanese players.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Gealla
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#103 - 2011-10-31 22:35:41 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
I am saying - Stop allowing ingame PLEX to be used to pay for Subs. Those extra, "free" accounts just generate more ISK, way more than the incoming real money spent to buy PLEX. There's your equations Sirs, think it through.

You sub (x) accounts by using ingame ISK to by ingame PLEX.
Those (x) account generate even more ISK
There's your ISK flood, blame that, stop trying to allocate blame on mission runners/incursions etc.
The fact is that ISK should not be able to buy ingame PLEX.
Will that upset people Hell yes it will.
Will accounts "unsubscribe" Hell yes they will - Unpaying accounts.
Most of you who are playing for more than a year do not even pay real cash to play Eve. You think this is cool and it is right - It is not cool nor right, you are undermining CCP, the very company struggling finacially, the company who run this game.

Stop the ISK faucet ? Easy, disallow the subbing of accounts using ingame PLEX. This will force those who want to play, to pay. All those thousands of free accounts that are ingame generating trillions of ISK can go away over time, because they are just using easily-earned ISK to buy ingame PLEX.

PLEX prices should be 10x their current amount in ISK - discourage all those free accounts churning out more ISK.

Wow.....
Just wow.....
Really wow......

You seem to missing the one unchangaeable fundamental flaw in your argument(s) EVERY PLEX in the the game, and I MEAN EVERY plex in the game has been paid for, in RL cash to CCP by a player at some stage. Full stop. the end. game over. dumbshit

There is NO such thing as a FREE plex in the game, at all, ever
Dalloway Jones
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#104 - 2011-10-31 23:54:52 UTC
Thorn Galen definitely wins moron of the day award. His posts made me so angry I think i burst a blood vessel in my eye just reading them.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#105 - 2011-10-31 23:57:46 UTC
Dalloway Jones wrote:
Thorn Galen definitely wins moron of the day award. His posts made me so angry I think i burst a blood vessel in my eye just reading them.

Thats generally the desired reaction from a troll post.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Shian Yang
#106 - 2011-11-01 00:26:19 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
PLEX for gametime is negatively affecting CCP's cashflow.

Here's a simplistic scenario :-

I Spend $10 for a PLEX on the site.
You who have billions of ISK buy the PLEX for 400Million ISK
You buy more.
And more.
You use a PLEX to fund an account, however many you may have, 1 or 20, does not matter.
You do not pay $20 to sub for a couple of months, not ever.
Say 50,000 accounts on the system.
10,000 are paying hard cash for subs
5,000 are paying hard cash for PLEX
There's a defecit of real money, real money not going to CCP.
Funding an account by buying and using ingame PLEX is a loss for CCP.

CCP is bleeding badly because of PLEX for subs.

Greetings capsuleer,

If you have 50,000 registered capsuleers in New Eden and 10,000 are paying directly for their licenses, the remaining 40,000 are paid for by the 5,000 purchasing PLEX.

There is no escaping it. Each and every PLEX represents income to Concord. And no matter what use it is put to, a capsuleer must purchase a PLEX from Concord or a designated authority before it can be used.

The cost of PLEX is translated to a cost of $19.95 in old-earth terms. If you consider the most popular is $104.97 for 6; you are looking at an equivalent licensing fee of $71.70 for six months. There is a $33.27 difference.

Thus, purchases of PLEX actually increases Concord revenue over traditional licensing fees.

Can you explain a scenario where this does not hold true?

KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#107 - 2011-11-01 00:29:29 UTC

I'm part of the problem. I'm a financially (IRL) stable player. I'd buy a couple of GTC/yr on top of my sub to sell off for isk. But the last 12 months or so I've stopped buying them. I don't play much, thus don't need the isk.

Players like me leaving the game are no longer injecting PLEX into the game. And, as stated many times it's the purchase of GTC/PLEX that puts money into CCPs pocket.

I'm taking PLEX off the market and cash out of CCPs pocket if/when I leave.

Dum Spiro Spero

Shian Yang
#108 - 2011-11-01 00:35:45 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:
Players like me leaving the game are no longer injecting PLEX into the game. And, as stated many times it's the purchase of GTC/PLEX that puts money into CCPs pocket.

Greetings capsuleer,

What you must keep in mind are the pilots new to New Eden. Whilst you are spending more time in station; they are out hauling cargo, running tedious tasks for agents or out to filch a quick buck off the wreckage of another pilot. For those new pilots, the resale of a PLEX represent a direct injection to their wallet.

Where one pilots' career ends; another will begin.

Now granted, the current trend is downwards as the rising PLEX prices suggest. But this is because of the heavy-handed approach Concord has taken. Once this stabilises, if it does, you should see greater supply. Of course, I am not convinced the prices will go down to match. But it will certainly be something to keep an eye on.
Twisted Alice
Doomheim
#109 - 2011-11-01 00:36:08 UTC
KaarBaak wrote:

I'm part of the problem. I'm a financially (IRL) stable player. I'd buy a couple of GTC/yr on top of my sub to sell off for isk. But the last 12 months or so I've stopped buying them. I don't play much, thus don't need the isk.

I'm taking PLEX off the market and cash out of CCPs pocket if/when I leave.

Taking PLEX off of the market will have no effect on CCP that's negative. They've already been paid, if anything you would be doing them a favour as they would not need to honour the PLEX.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#110 - 2011-11-01 02:28:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
Thorn Galen wrote:
PLEX for gametime is negatively affecting CCP's cashflow.

Here's a simplistic scenario :-

I Spend $10 for a PLEX on the site.
You who have billions of ISK buy the PLEX for 400Million ISK
You buy more.
And more.
You use a PLEX to fund an account, however many you may have, 1 or 20, does not matter.
You do not pay $20 to sub for a couple of months, not ever.
Say 50,000 accounts on the system.
10,000 are paying hard cash for subs
5,000 are paying hard cash for PLEX
There's a defecit of real money, real money not going to CCP.
Funding an account by buying and using ingame PLEX is a loss for CCP.

CCP is bleeding badly because of PLEX for subs.

You're very very wrong. 1 month sub or 1 plex, the plex is always a better option for CCP when you purchase it. The fact that it's used to sub someone's account just means there is a virtual unlimited demand for it which of course keeps people buying plex with rl cash.

Plex doesn't decrease CCP's income. On the contrary, it greatly increases their income.

Don't ban me, bro!

bongpacks
Rules of Acquisition
#111 - 2011-11-01 04:22:31 UTC
If PLEX hits half a bil I'll probably have to stop playing, it's just not worth it to spend most of my time grinding just to buy a PLEX and be broke then start grinding again. I love this game but I'm also unemployed and even though I have more free time than most people I simply cannot invest the kind of time into the game that grinding half a billion isk would require. Grinding isn't fun to most players and if PLEX prices go much higher I would simply be grinding so I can re-sub so I can grind some more, instead of having any fun. 350m-375m is my magic number, hell when I started playing two years ago PLEX was at 275m and it seemed impossible for a regular player to obtain that kind of isk each month from the perspective of a new palyer, so for today's new players the current prices must seem absurd.
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#112 - 2011-11-01 04:23:54 UTC
I've never done this before, so bear with me...

10/10 best troll evah!

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#113 - 2011-11-01 04:25:46 UTC  |  Edited by: non judgement
... and I think here also:

I'm surprised that so many people seem to be that low on money, that the only way they can play eve, is if they manage to make enough isk in game to buy a plex. I hope they have enough spare cash to buy food as well.

How many of you guys are getting free internet from some store while sleeping in a gutter somewhere with your laptop? It's amazing how easy it is for bums to get computers these days.

I'm a bit surprised that more people aren't taking advantage of the high price of plex by buying gtc and converting them to plex. It's getting close to the best time to do it. Don't think it'd stay this way for long. Even when they were up to 350m each before they went right back down to 250m, and less. This bubble will pop sooner or later.
Lord Wiggin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#114 - 2011-11-01 04:27:41 UTC
So OP never understood the underlying message from CCP? I'll decode it for you....

"WE NEED MORE PAYING CUSTOMERS! FREELOADERS ONLY ALLOWED AMONG THE BIG BOYS" Lol

Lord Wiggin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2011-11-01 04:29:07 UTC
non judgement wrote:

I'm surprised that so many people seem to be that low on money, that the only way they can play eve, is if they manage to make enough isk in game to buy a plex. I hope they have enough spare cash to buy food as well.

How many of you guys are getting free internet from some store while sleeping in a gutter somewhere with your laptop? It's amazing how easy it is for bums to get computer these days.

I'm a bit surprised that more people aren't taking advantage of the high price of plex by buying gtc and convreting them to plex. It's getting close to the best time to do it. Don't think it'd stay this way for long. Even when they were up to 350m each before they went right back down to 250m, and less. This bubble will pop sooner or later.

Keep telling yourself that....a couple of years ago 90 day eve codes were 440 mil.....Shocked

non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#116 - 2011-11-01 04:33:23 UTC  |  Edited by: non judgement
Lord Wiggin wrote:
non judgement wrote:

How many of you guys are getting free internet from some store while sleeping in a gutter somewhere with your laptop? It's amazing how easy it is for bums to get computer these days.

I'm a bit surprised that more people aren't taking advantage of the high price of plex by buying gtc and convreting them to plex. It's getting close to the best time to do it. Don't think it'd stay this way for long. Even when they were up to 350m each before they went right back down to 250m, and less. This bubble will pop sooner or later.

Keep telling yourself that....a couple of years ago 90 day eve codes were 440 mil.....Shocked

Obviously back then, things were a bit different. Not as much of a demand for them as there is now (or there was an over supply, which I doubt).
Demon View
Doomheim
#117 - 2011-11-01 04:52:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Demon View
bongpacks wrote:
If PLEX hits half a bil I'll probably have to stop playing, it's just not worth it to spend most of my time grinding just to buy a PLEX and be broke then start grinding again. I love this game but I'm also unemployed and even though I have more free time than most people I simply cannot invest the kind of time into the game that grinding half a billion isk would require. Grinding isn't fun to most players and if PLEX prices go much higher I would simply be grinding so I can re-sub so I can grind some more, instead of having any fun. 350m-375m is my magic number, hell when I started playing two years ago PLEX was at 275m and it seemed impossible for a regular player to obtain that kind of isk each month from the perspective of a new palyer, so for today's new players the current prices must seem absurd.

Pride and self-respect are barriers for many people, but I feel that this will work for you: put on your worst clothing, hang your head low, find a busy intersection, and hold out your hand for thirty minutes to an hour. Buy two PLEX, and be free to waste your time having fun instead of working a virtual job.
Krios Ahzek
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#118 - 2011-11-01 06:10:22 UTC
bongpacks wrote:

Perhaps you are unemployed because you spend too much of your time grinding for the space equivalent of 15$.
If you're grinding 10 hours to save 15$, you're working at 1/10 of minimum wage.

Though All Men Do Despise Us

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#119 - 2011-11-01 06:45:41 UTC
Working as intended. Keep posting.
Levija Saplina
Ken Interplanetary Communication
#120 - 2011-11-01 07:46:30 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
Working as intended. Keep posting.

Thank you for making this better than I had intended.