These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#401 - 2011-11-01 21:19:39 UTC
Issler Dainze wrote:
Handsome ******* wrote:
Ana Vyr wrote:
If I spend 20 hours of that time earning the ISK for a Hulk, it gives that Hulk a personal value to me that you can't say doesn't exist.

That makes destroying it all the sweeter..

So just think how awesome it will feel when you smash the windows out of your neighbors house! Be sneaky about it an they will never catch you and it will be just like Eve! Woot!

Issler

but you're not my neighbor, my neighbor isn't a whiny worthless **** so it's less fun

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

Handsome Hussein
#402 - 2011-11-01 21:22:30 UTC
Issler Dainze wrote:
So just think how awesome it will feel when you smash the windows out of your neighbors house! Be sneaky about it an they will never catch you and it will be just like Eve! Woot!

I actually like my neighbors. I don't like you.

Leaves only the fresh scent of pine.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#403 - 2011-11-01 21:24:20 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Because I've got a dark, twisted side of my personality that doesn't get to come out and play in the real world.

I learned when I was young that I was quite good at doing bad things. I was also smart enough to NOT do many of the bad things I'd have liked to do, because prison doesn't sound like the sort of place I want to spend a significant portion of my life. I'm a model citizen with a wife and kids and mortgage and I haven't even had a traffic ticket in years...but there's a part of me that revels in creating chaos and I satiate that part with video games. Eve is the perfect place for a person like me to finally throw off any pretense of morality and let my darker impulses go for a while.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Justin Credulent
Luv You Long Time
#404 - 2011-11-01 21:31:41 UTC
The fact is, you're a real person and your real actions affect other real persons.

All this "I'm not like this in real life, I'm just a douchebag in a game, so it doesn't count cuz it's just a game on the Interwebs" doesn't fly. If you are a douchebag in the game, then you are a douchebag, period.

Null-Sec needs to HTFU and stop crying to CCP. If null-sec wants PvP, they need to stop being carebears and start fighting eachother - after years of bot-mining, they have the ships!

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#405 - 2011-11-01 21:34:11 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:
The fact is, you're a real person and your real actions affect other real persons.

All this "I'm not like this in real life, I'm just a douchebag in a game, so it doesn't count cuz it's just a game on the Interwebs" doesn't fly. If you are a douchebag in the game, then you are a douchebag, period.

this applies to a great deal more than douchebagerry, irrelevant uninteresting peon

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

Handsome Hussein
#406 - 2011-11-01 21:35:52 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:

This is very true. Those other real people either need to HTFU or play another game. The mechanics of EVE do not prevent me from destroying your property. Whether I do so in real life or not makes no difference. I choose when and where to destroy things, and other people can choose to do the same to me in game or IRL.

It's just that IRL the consequences are very real. In EVE, you are really only losing space-cash.

Try to keep some perspective.

Justin Credulent wrote:

Also true. I actively troll while operating a motorized vehicle.

Sebastian N Cain
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#407 - 2011-11-01 21:44:18 UTC
If you want to know why we are doing it, this video is the perfect explanation.
Just look at the reaction, this epic face of dawning comprehension and you are doing the same as the other guy:
laughing your f.cking ass off.

And you will do the very same face when you get back to your keyboard and see that you have been ganked and just imagining it does the same as watching the video, its fun. Twisted fun, but humans are like this - you as well, you can´t deny you laughed when seeing this.

I got lost in thought... it was unfamiliar territory.

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#408 - 2011-11-01 21:51:23 UTC
Sebastian N Cain wrote:
Just look at the reaction, this epic face of dawning comprehension and you are doing the same as the other guy:

And you will do the very same face when you get back to your keyboard and see that you have been ganked and just imagining it does the same as watching the video, its fun. Twisted fun, but humans are like this - you as well, you can´t deny you laughed when seeing this.

lol, sadly my stage electrician instincts would instantly kick in and my buddy would get clubbed across the room with a 2x4 or whatever bulky wooden object was readily at hand.... to save his dumb life of course.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#409 - 2011-11-01 21:52:05 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:

....Who are staring at internet spaceship pixels, just like me. If they are so messed up they can't shrug off bad things happening to them in games, they don't need to be playing multiplayer games. If you want a game where you are in complete control and nothing bad ever happens to you, don't play games with other people. Because I WILL *gasp* try to win. And my win conditions might not be the same as yours.

Justin Credulent wrote:

Who I am in real life is of no concern to you, but I can tell you that no one who knows me (except those few who know how I play Eve) would agree with you. They'd probably tell you about...oh it doesn't matter. Nothing I could tell you about my real life would sway your opinion that someone who chooses to play the bad guy in a video game is a bad guy in real life.

Jita Alt666
#410 - 2011-11-01 21:52:35 UTC
Issler Dainze wrote:
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
This is an aspect of Eve that I find fascinating! Eve turns most folks into real asshats.

In life all we have is our time. If I am serious about spending 40 hours a week building up something in a game and some asshat comes over and 'spodes it becuase "its fun" that person has harmed me in exactly the same manner as if they had destroyed something I might have spent 40 hous in RL working to buy, like a car.

But most folks in Eve aren't smart enough to understand that so the lack of immediate consequence lets them sleep at night as though the didn't do something really evil.

So I would encourage all you Eve griefers to step up your game! Start giving RL crime a try! The rush should be even bigger and if you are even half way smart the lack of consequence should be identical. If you take away my 40 hours of life work product it hurts me the same either way.

I anxiously await inane rebutals from immoral Eve griefers that haven't figured out what life really is, just a fixed amount of time in the 'verse to spend how you choose, being moral or an asshat.

Issler

Taking the bait. Eve Online is a game. The time you spend on the game is not an investment for virtual goods. It is entertainment. If some one destroys the virtual goods you have built up, they are not destroying the product of your time. They are not damaging you in real life.

Your second sentence is says a lot.
Quote:
Eve turns people into real asshats.
Eve has been intentionally designed that way. It is a mechanic of the game.

I agree that Eve is designed to bring out the worst in folks. I find it fascinating that it works so well. And you will never find me saying that has to change.

But tell me this, OK, so if you blow up my POS that's OK becuse its "not real" even though I may have hundreds of hours spent it doesn't matter. But vandalizing my car is bad because it exists in "RL" and is somehow worth more? Even if they take the same amount of my pool of time away? What if I had a hobby of building elaborate replicas of Eve space ships with popcicle sticks? Would it be OK to smash those? I don't "need" them and they aren't worth anything in RL.

You need to take a few philosophy classes and then spend a few years pondering life and what we percieve as reality (some physics classes related to quantum realities would be good too) then come back and tell me in a reality were all we have is finite time why they are any different.

Of course doing that might take away from time gate camping or sucide ganking miners.

Issler

Please don't attempt to engage in personal attacks based on assumptions. I do not need to do anything. The use and value of time is an economic concept, a philosophical concept and as you point out a physics concept. The example you gave in your original post was an economic example:
The value of a real life item vs an imaginary item based on the input of time, is a specific real-life argument that is repeatedly discussed when it comes to the rights obligations and values of intellectual property rights.

Accusing me of gate camping or suicide ganking miners is so off the mark it is amusing. The only things I have logged into the spaceship MMO: Eve online for over the last 18 days, is to check market orders and to cycle my PI Factories on a low input alt.
Handsome Hussein
#411 - 2011-11-01 21:53:37 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Sebastian N Cain wrote:

lol, sadly my stage electrician instincts would instantly kick in and my buddy would get clubbed across the room with a 2x4 or whatever bulky wooden object was readily at hand.... to save his dumb life of course.

Thus making the video even funnier.

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#412 - 2011-11-01 21:53:41 UTC
Morganta wrote:

An electrician should know that's not what electrocution looks like :p

Justin Credulent
Luv You Long Time
#413 - 2011-11-01 22:01:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Justin Credulent
Quote:

Sorry, but if you're a douchebag in the game, then you're a douchebag, period.

Operative words in bold.

And as for "perspective": It's not just "space cash" you're losing. Subscriptions aren't free, and CCP does not just give ISK away - you have to work for it, which requires real time and effort.

Saying "it's just a game" grossly misses the point, and in most cases, on purpose to alleviate abuser guilt.

Quote:
Who I am in real life is of no concern to you, but I can tell you that no one who knows me (except those few who know how I play Eve) would agree with you. They'd probably tell you about...oh it doesn't matter. Nothing I could tell you about my real life would sway your opinion that someone who chooses to play the bad guy in a video game is a bad guy in real life.

People thought Jeffry Dahmer was a sweet lad, too. But he turned out to be a closet homosexual psychopath who enjoyed the taste of human flesh. *shrug* Point being: It doesn't matter what your (biased) friends think. What matters is what you do.

If you do douchebag things, then you're a douchebag.

Period.

Have a good one guys. I've read enough bad arguments for one day.

Null-Sec needs to HTFU and stop crying to CCP. If null-sec wants PvP, they need to stop being carebears and start fighting eachother - after years of bot-mining, they have the ships!

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#414 - 2011-11-01 22:02:07 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
No matter how you put it, if someone tells me how they like to grief and scam in game and relishes in the response, I could not force myself to trust someone like that.

How about if I tell you that I don't "grief and scam", but I very much enjoy playing a game where the level of freedom is such that it's possible?

For me, having real people play the villains, along with the freedom to play a villain myself should I so wish, adds a depth to this game that makes it far more 'real' to me. That's why I defend that freedom so passionately. If nothing else, if we have no choice to be bad, then the choice to be good is meaningless.

I won't disagree with you because NPC are boring and griefers are like drones but just a few percentage points smarter.

But(tmonkey!)..

If I go into some yarrage to fund a lowsec lifestyle or something of that matter, I can say "hey, this is how I play" and not "oohhhh! Your tears fuel me!!! Moar!!!".

I can say "Got you there - see you new to this" instead of "lolnubs gobacktoWOW. Headshot! ***!!"

I once beat all of my friends in poker. They anted up, with money they could afford to lose. I was a better player.

What would I have done if I insulted them after beating them? What kind of person would I be?

Someone with no friends - at the least not getting invited back to the poker game next time.

But I know my friends, and enough smacktalk would have gotten my ass kicked. Yes, even over a poker game because a certain level of prickishness can transcend what the setting or activity was.

Again, if someone wants to be an internet weenie, they should at least say "Hey, I'm an internet weenie and I do it because I can get away with it" - meaning that they can enrage people and not get slapped around for it. They need to admit that they do it because they can avoid the consequences. If I beat someone bad enough in poker or a race, and then if I see them upset for the loss, even if they are personally disappointed with themselves, and I go into "yessss! MOar tears!! Looooser!!!!" mode, I might get punched in the nose. My only competition involves shooting sports so we REFRAIN from that, and I have beaten people and been beaten so horribly that I have seen rifles tossed into backs of trucks in pieces and once nearly took up golf myself.

You see, we are polite in THAT "game" and some of the best shooters in the world have given me advice after spanking my sorry butt at the range and sending me back to the truck practically dragging my rifle by the sling.

You see, I don't want people to change, I want them to be honest and spare me the tired old dialogs of "that's how I play", "it's a sandbox", "it's all about blowing things up", etc. I want to admit that they are simply using a game as a medium to bother people and in such manner as they won't suffer consequences for Douchebaggery.

My theory is that these are people who lack the power to do things to others in RL and get away with it. The sorry state of the world is such that there are people getting away with a lot these days, and as a result, all those angry people out there, their lives wrecked, have no other recourse than to go into a game and grief someone.

Again, they can do that, just don't lie about it as if fooling me is part of their little power trip.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Handsome Hussein
#415 - 2011-11-01 22:04:28 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, but if you're a douchebag in the game, then you're a douchebag, period.

Operative words in bold.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was agreeing with you? Obviously this is too heated of a discussion for you. You should really relax and mine some blue ice. It'll help.

Nimrod Nemesis
Doomheim
#416 - 2011-11-01 22:04:41 UTC
I too, am gay.
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#417 - 2011-11-01 22:22:52 UTC
FloppieTheBanjoClown wrote:
Morganta wrote:

An electrician should know that's not what electrocution looks like :p

with 3 phase its more smoke and flame than jittering Shocked
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#418 - 2011-11-01 22:39:32 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:
And as for "perspective": It's not just "space cash" you're losing. Subscriptions aren't free, and CCP does not just give ISK away - you have to work for it, which requires real time and effort.

As I said in my previous post, and which you selectively ignored:

You're playing a game WITH OTHER PEOPLE. They might do things to you which negatively impact your gameplay in order to win. That's part of competitive games, beating the other guy. And in Eve, there is no set win condition, meaning that winning for me might be blowing up your stuff.

If you want to grind for years and build stuff without risk of it being messed up, Eve isn't the game for you. If you accept that risk, you need to grow up and stop calling people names just because we choose to play a game in a different way than you do. Honestly, you're being childish.

Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#419 - 2011-11-01 22:40:31 UTC
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
Jita Alt666 wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
This is an aspect of Eve that I find fascinating! Eve turns most folks into real asshats.

In life all we have is our time. If I am serious about spending 40 hours a week building up something in a game and some asshat comes over and 'spodes it becuase "its fun" that person has harmed me in exactly the same manner as if they had destroyed something I might have spent 40 hous in RL working to buy, like a car.

But most folks in Eve aren't smart enough to understand that so the lack of immediate consequence lets them sleep at night as though the didn't do something really evil.

So I would encourage all you Eve griefers to step up your game! Start giving RL crime a try! The rush should be even bigger and if you are even half way smart the lack of consequence should be identical. If you take away my 40 hours of life work product it hurts me the same either way.

I anxiously await inane rebutals from immoral Eve griefers that haven't figured out what life really is, just a fixed amount of time in the 'verse to spend how you choose, being moral or an asshat.

Issler

Taking the bait. Eve Online is a game. The time you spend on the game is not an investment for virtual goods. It is entertainment. If some one destroys the virtual goods you have built up, they are not destroying the product of your time. They are not damaging you in real life.

Your second sentence is says a lot.
Quote:
Eve turns people into real asshats.
Eve has been intentionally designed that way. It is a mechanic of the game.

I agree that Eve is designed to bring out the worst in folks. I find it fascinating that it works so well. And you will never find me saying that has to change.

But tell me this, OK, so if you blow up my POS that's OK becuse its "not real" even though I may have hundreds of hours spent it doesn't matter. But vandalizing my car is bad because it exists in "RL" and is somehow worth more? Even if they take the same amount of my pool of time away? What if I had a hobby of building elaborate replicas of Eve space ships with popcicle sticks? Would it be OK to smash those? I don't "need" them and they aren't worth anything in RL.

You need to take a few philosophy classes and then spend a few years pondering life and what we percieve as reality (some physics classes related to quantum realities would be good too) then come back and tell me in a reality were all we have is finite time why they are any different.

Of course doing that might take away from time gate camping or sucide ganking miners.

Issler

Please don't attempt to engage in personal attacks based on assumptions. I do not need to do anything. The use and value of time is an economic concept, a philosophical concept and as you point out a physics concept. The example you gave in your original post was an economic example:
The value of a real life item vs an imaginary item based on the input of time, is a specific real-life argument that is repeatedly discussed when it comes to the rights obligations and values of intellectual property rights.

Accusing me of gate camping or suicide ganking miners is so off the mark it is amusing. The only things I have logged into the spaceship MMO: Eve online for over the last 18 days, is to check market orders and to cycle my PI Factories on a low input alt.

Appologies, please consider my reference to some of the most common forms of Eve asshattery as directed at the folks here defending their ganking in Eve as different from vandalism in the real world.

My stuff in space is my property and I derive enjoyment from owning and using it just the same as if it were in RL. Your "entertainment" red herring is simply false. Eve space goods have a value, even in RL $ since I can use RL $ to buy them indirectly. If someone destroys my space goods they are destroying the product of my time. I would have to trade time once again to restore them so I might continue to enjoy them.

You clearly understand enough about the "all you have is time" argument to see 'sploding stuff in Eve for the fun of the destruction is no different than kids vandalizing the cars on their street. So I am puzzled as you seem to be inconsistent in your interpretation of morality.

You enjoy "the markets" apparently. What if a mechanism was introduced to let folks break into your hangar and destroy all your goods without your consent? No reward for them, just tears for you is their reward. Would that be a good thing for you? That would seem to be consistent with how some folks think Eve should work. If someone did that to you would you just shrug it off and still think of them as a moral person? That is pretty much how FiS works, maybe the markets would be better if we introduce "vandalism" as a station skill.

Issler
Thomas Orca
Broski is ded
#420 - 2011-11-01 22:45:23 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

But I know my friends, and enough smacktalk would have gotten my ass kicked. Yes, even over a poker game because a certain level of prickishness can transcend what the setting or activity was.

Get better friends then.