These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#321 - 2011-11-01 14:04:52 UTC
Barbelo Valentinian wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

What you don't seem to understand is there is a difference between taking your internet spaceship stuff too seriously and not thinking its ok to lie to friends in order to get personal gain.

What you constantly seem to fail to grasp the the concept of roleplaying.

You aren't actually able to fly around in spaceships, you are playing that role in a roleplaying game.

The problem with this is that lots of people who behave "badly" in EVE aren't roleplaying a "bad" person in -game (e.g.a pirate), they're being themselves, doing something deliberately to annoy other people in real life, through the medium of a game.

No they're not.

(It's true because I asserted it without offering any proof!)

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#322 - 2011-11-01 14:06:31 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Deviana Sevidon wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

What you don't seem to understand is there is a difference between taking your internet spaceship stuff too seriously and not thinking its ok to lie to friends in order to get personal gain.

You aren't actually able to fly around in spaceships, you are playing that role in a roleplaying game.

Very few people are roleplaying here. A lot of them are playing the person they really are and that person is not the happy smiling face they show to their family, friends or superiors but the ugly bastard they have hidden behind it.

Well you got me. No point pretending any longer - when I'm not at work or playing EVE, I join up with 50 or 60 friends and we drive around looking for other drivers to murder and vehicles to destroy and loot. That's who I really am. There: I said it.

Actually, you've done me a huge favour - it's such a relief to come out into the open and say it out loud.

lol

But I think he has a point in general.

EVE is like the comments section on news sites. Anonymous people show you who they REALLY are when there are no consequences. So the mild mannered wouldn't hurt a fly IT guy who got bullied as a child can be the world class A-hole he really wanted to be in the comments section...or in EVE or any other online game.

This is why I take the smack talking I get in game with a grain of salt. In real life I'm a 6'3 240 pound big guy who has a love of both power lifting and amateur MMA fighting, I know that 99% of the smack talkers/griefers/gankers/GOONS (lol) would not be saying that stuff to my face lol.

I'm much nicer on the forums than I am in RL.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#323 - 2011-11-01 14:06:42 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:

I have more than once trusted the player himself with my account name and password because I had to update my queue and couldn't get to a game client.

protip:

don't admit to bannable offenses on the forums Blink
Barakkus
#324 - 2011-11-01 14:09:24 UTC
It is fun to shoot people.

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc

Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#325 - 2011-11-01 14:19:48 UTC
CCP wants this atmosphere we've got in EvE, where the vicious and sociopathic can do what they please to a large degree. CCP thinks it makes their game hardcore and cool.

Can't say I agree with them, but I play along because it's a cool game otherwise.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#326 - 2011-11-01 14:27:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Now that we've covered the unlikely example of your "RL best friend back stabbing you in EVE", lets go on to a more common situation. The total stranger chatting you up and then betraying you, or the random ganker.

These are usually two different types of players you are likely to meet, so we'lll divide it up.

The Random Ganker:

As a general rule this type of person view's EVE in a very superficial way. They often are not interested in the deeper playstyles or content available. They view it as a big game of Counter Strike and look for targets of opportunity when ever and where ever they can. They don't invest emotionally in the game and could care less if you do, to them the objective is to score as many kills as possible any way they can.

This is a completely valid playstyle, just as it is in any other competetive game involving combat that you could care to mention.

The Corp Thief or Infiltrator:

This type of player is operating on a deeper level than the Random Ganker. He has a goal and the challenge for him is to attain that goal using his intellect by any means possible. To him, EVE is as much a social networking challenge as much as anything else.

His goal is usually either financial (he wants to amass a fortune quickly by taking YOURS) or his goal is political (he wants to take your resources and thereby put you at a disadvantage in other area's of the game).

This too is a valid playstyle, as these goals are encouraged strongly in this game. The victim is equally aware that this is a valid playstyle in the game and his goal is to successfully defend himself from these threats.

Interestingly, we hear no complaints when any of the types of play above are thwarted. Instead there is much excitement and loud boasting. Often, stopping the above players is considered to be the highlight of a persons EVE career.

Perhaps you should think about that for a moment.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#327 - 2011-11-01 14:31:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Barbelo Valentinian wrote:

They're more pissed off that the ganking is a form of mockery directed at the player, using the game rules as a medium, rather than being a form of player-made content in the role of "evil", directed at the roleplayed character.

Yes, if there's one thing that real evil people are concerned about, it's making sure that they don't hurt anyone's feelings when they going around doing all that evil evilling that they evilly do. Gloating, mocking, laughing cruelly while engaging in wanton destruction for its own sake - these are all signs of someone who's just not really committed to properly portraying evil.

An air of solemn - almost austere - dignity, together with strong focus on teamwork to achieve constructive goals that benefit tjhe whole comminity - that is the mark of the properly played evil character.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#328 - 2011-11-01 14:31:28 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

I do understand roleplaying. If people were really roleplaying than this would be a defense. Call it the "roleplaying defense." But the thing is a conversation where you are discussing the game eve and agreeing that we will not steal the assets of the other person in that game is not role play. "Cearain" would not be talking ot "Lors Dornick" about an eve game. That is the problem.

Now again I do not say that its impossible to justify lying to others with the role play defense. I'm just making a few points.

1) its not so clear that when I talk to someone on vent using our real life names and talking about real life stuff as well as what we will do in "the game eve" that we are roleplaying.

2) There is a difference between talking about a game and what we will do in a game and talking "in game." If I tell a friend that I will not take his stuff in the game eve online I am not pretending I am "cearain" telling him that.

Hence the lines are blurred.

I can't answer for everyone. I can only say think for yourself. Are you lying to people in game because you are role playing a character that is very evil and you are just doing that as best you can? Or are you lying to people online so you can take their stuff and save money on subscriptions and/or personally benefit from not having to run missions.

Take for example a stupid scams that you see in contracts over and over. Someone will list a "Navy raven" and what they actually listed was a plain raven. Or maybe they say the list a set of implants as a full crystal set but the omega implant is a grail implant. Or maybe they list 2 betas instead of an epsilon. Are these people doing this because they are "roleplaying" a bad guy or are they doing this for personal real life gain of not having to grind missions or saving money on subscriptions? Does it matter that they recycle characters to keep putting these contracts up - or is it still roleplay?

I'm not saying this is conduct is horrible. I'm just saying its not clear that the roleplay defense really works here.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Solo Player
#329 - 2011-11-01 14:31:50 UTC
My own feelings on this aside, it is quite fascinating:
- how fervently some gankers seem to need to justfy their actions faced with the moral question why exactly they enjoy other players' tears so much...
- while some carebears suddenly quote the great philosophers to avoid explaining why they suffer such profound loss at the destruction of a purely virtual spaceship in a game they purportedly play for fun!

It makes me wonder: If EVE really is just a game for you, no more, why do any of you care so much at all?

:D
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#330 - 2011-11-01 14:38:08 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Now that we've covered the unlikely example of your "RL best friend back stabbing you in EVE", lets go on to a more common situation.

Why is this going to be unlikely? Is it unlikely that your real life best friend would bluff you in poker?

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#331 - 2011-11-01 14:54:11 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Now that we've covered the unlikely example of your "RL best friend back stabbing you in EVE", lets go on to a more common situation.

Why is this going to be unlikely? Is it unlikely that your real life best friend would bluff you in poker?

Do you think it's a common occurance?

It's perfectly acceptable for this to happen in EVE if that is the type of relationship you have with your best friend, but you have tried to base extensive trolling on this fairly uncommon example.

Back in your box.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Krios Ahzek
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#332 - 2011-11-01 14:58:25 UTC
Honestly if your best friends does a grab and run on you in EVE, he isn't your best friend.
It's not quite like bluffing in poker or cheating at Monopoly, the time invested in a MMORPG is huge. It would be a **** move to ruin many months of your friend's efforts 4 no raisins, no?

Though All Men Do Despise Us

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#333 - 2011-11-01 15:10:24 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

It's perfectly acceptable for this to happen in EVE if that is the type of relationship you have with your best friend, but you have tried to base extensive trolling on this fairly uncommon example.

Back in your box.

Yes I bet best friends bluff eachother in poker all the time.

Oh, I guess, you want to know if its common for people backstab real life friends in eve allot.

Well thats different isn't it?

Why is it different?

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#334 - 2011-11-01 15:11:17 UTC
Krios Ahzek wrote:
Honestly if your best friends does a grab and run on you in EVE, he isn't your best friend.
It's not quite like bluffing in poker or cheating at Monopoly, the time invested in a MMORPG is huge. It would be a **** move to ruin many months of your friend's efforts 4 no raisins, no?

That would depend entirely on your relationship with your best friend and how competetive it is. For many guys, who have been buddies for years, it would be the source of much amusement (once the yelling stopped).

Also, losing all of your assets in EVE ruins absolutely nothing unless you place a disproportionate value on non-existant items that don't belong to you to begin with.

Most people play this game for fun.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#335 - 2011-11-01 15:13:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Cearain wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Back in your box.

Yes I bet best friends bluff eachother in poker all the time.

Oh, I guess, you want to know if its common for people backstab real life friends in eve allot.

Well thats different isn't it?

Why is it different?

It isn't any different, I never said it was. It's simply less common, primarily because it takes longer to set up. Big smile

Nice try though. I particularly like the way you avoided commenting on any of the actual points made in either post you referenced. Big smile

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#336 - 2011-11-01 15:20:51 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Krios Ahzek wrote:

That would depend entirely on your relationship with your best friend and how competetive it is. For many guys, who have been buddies for years, it would be the source of much amusement (once the yelling stopped).

Also, losing all of your assets in EVE ruins absolutely nothing unless you place a disproportionate value on non-existant items that don't belong to you to begin with.

There is a difference between placing a disproportionate value on something and saying the value is completely non-existant. You value your internet spaceship assets. If you didn't you likely wouldn't play at all. If you didn't value the assets, to some extent, then there would be no excitment in the game.

I value my internet spaceship assets at somewhat less then the cost to buy them with plexes. So yeah when I lose something expensive I feel it. I don't go crazy and rage at everyone like an idiot. But yes there is some value of what was lost.

You keep wanting things to be black and white but they aren't. You want to claim the internet spaceships have absolutely no value. You also want to claim that anything you do remotely relating to eve couldn't possibly mean you are a ____ in real life.

Your mind seems unable to grasp certain subtle distinctions that blur these lines.

Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#337 - 2011-11-01 15:21:14 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Actually, you've done me a huge favour - it's such a relief to come out into the open and say it out loud.

Now if we can get you to come out into the open and address that other issue of yours. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Krios Ahzek
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#338 - 2011-11-01 15:21:21 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Krios Ahzek wrote:

I distinctly remember Diablo 2 item scamming ruining a few friendships in my social circle back when we were 12 years old.

Stealing all the stuff I've spent two year accumulating by playing with my best friend creates true grief, in that ruins the fun that I can have in Eve. After the yelling stopped, it would be hard to trust that guy just as much as BEFORE the **** move. Friend or not, trustless abusive relationships suck. Why would your ''friend'' do this except to **** you off? (Assuming he already has access to the corp hangar). I don't have time to waste with idiots who can't see how pissing off your best friend for no reason is a bad idea.

Though All Men Do Despise Us

Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#339 - 2011-11-01 15:22:58 UTC
Barakkus wrote:
It is fun to shoot people.

As long as its not the chairman of the CSM, right Barakkus?

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Nunda Kamachupa
Doomheim
#340 - 2011-11-01 15:27:07 UTC
Huehuehue wrote:
I think you misunderstand me. It's 100% okay to kill people in cod and it does not make you immoral person.

You answered your own question!

The people that don't play 'fairly' aren't immoral - they just have a different perception of EVE than you. They see it like an elaborate version of COD, but you see it as some sort of fluffy game where the only bad guys are the NPCs.

EVE is about PVP, in many different ways. It's not players being immoral - it's you not realising what kind've game you're playing.