These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Sh0plifter
Underworld Property Accounting Partnership
#301 - 2011-11-01 11:39:43 UTC
Morals are based on religion, a set of beliefs and emotions. Things non-existent in Eve. Eve has the mentality of fend for yourself, Fend for your corp mates or both. In order for a well-rounded corp you must do both. That is the only thing really. Make isk, help your corp make isk and shoot pixel spaceships (or crunch rocks with lasers) that float around in space on your computer screen(s)/television(s).
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#302 - 2011-11-01 11:52:35 UTC
Hows this for a perfect example. I have this friend in real life who plays eve. In game, I don't trust him with more than a frigate, just not gonna give him the chance to screw me because thats what he does. He did it once, so I know he will.

I have more than once trusted the player himself with my account name and password because I had to update my queue and couldn't get to a game client.

That is the difference between in game and out of game. In game my friend will rob anyone he gets so much as the slightest bit of access to, and if I had given him access to my account in game, I would have nothing anymore. Out of game, he is a friend and I can trust him to behave as a friend because thats who he is in real life.

I'm sorry you people have no good friends, and are have such poor imaginations you can't understand what role playing is, but it is truly offensive to refer to those who do as evil people because you don't understand them due to your own limitations.

You have my sincerest sympathy as well for your obviously sad, sad lives.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#303 - 2011-11-01 11:59:58 UTC
What I think is creating the main division of opinions here (ignoring the plain trolling) is the the difference between ordinary boardgame like chess, Risk, Thud or Hnefatafl is that people seldom see them as roleplaying games.

When I play Risk I rarely play it in the role of Stalin, Gandhi or Mother Theresa.

I play it with my friends as me.

But when I play a roleplaying game, I'm supposed to play my role, no matter what role I've selected (or been asked) to play. No matter if it's online or IRL with friends.

And when playing a roleplaying game you are always playing a role, even those who claim that they don't (lol)RP.

You're playing the role of someone who pretends not to play a role.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#304 - 2011-11-01 12:27:59 UTC
Huehuehue wrote:
John Caesse wrote:
Huehuehue wrote:

I play EVE to "escape" from real life just as much as the next guy, but I know I bring my real life morality with me to the game, I mean how could you not? That's not something you just turn off.

Yes, it is something you just turn off.

I would never indiscriminately slaughter everyone I see in a given area in real life, but I do it all the time in Call of Duty - would you say that me killing people in an FPS makes me an immoral person?

I think you misunderstand me. It's 100% okay to kill people in cod and it does not make you immoral person. That is because every player plays for fun, and the game is no fun if there's no risk of death. Yeah there are kids who fly off the handle if you dominate them but most people are good sport about it. It's not the act itself (killing, destroying) that makes the person immoral, it's the consenquense of that act. You kill a enemy in war? He expected that, he'd be bored if you'd just lay down and not fight back. You kill a guy doing lvl4 in lowsec in a faction bs just because you want a killmail? He most likely did not want to engage in combat with anyone and felt bad for losing the things he worked hard for.

I highlighted the important bits in your own argument.

In EVE, you should expect the same things to happen.

It's a roleplaying game. Play your role, others will play theirs. Get on with it.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#305 - 2011-11-01 12:32:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
Karl Planck wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Seriously you may want to tell some of your coworkers that you pretend to make friends on teamspeak or vent with people in order to take their stuff. Tell them that way you don't have to pay a subscription fee or grind missions to pay for your pvp. They may *say* things like oh yeah thats interesting or even how cool that is. But I can tell you I would not be the only one who would think you are not trustworthy.

can't resist. I have. Had a huge heist a while ago. Told me boss, my wife, friends (got a few into the game from the story), even my mom. You know what every person I have ever told response to it was?

Laughter. Everyone thought it was funny. They also thought it was funny that people got so heated about this. You can label it immoral all you want but you would just be again reaffirming my point. The RPG community might take sympathy on this, everyone else is just laughing at how serious you are taking it.

What you don't seem to understand is there is a difference between taking your internet spaceship stuff too seriously and not thinking its ok to lie to friends in order to get personal gain.

Yes everyone I talk to laughs when I describe people who take internet spaceships too seriously.

But you seem to assume that people who will lie to friends in order to get there stuff in this game, care less about the internet spaceships than those who won't. I'm not so sure about that.

When I explain how people lie to friends etc in order to get their internet spaceship stuff, I get a different reaction. It's more of a its amusingly pathetic that people will take this so seriously that they would do that. It may be a different explanations, or different friends and family.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Daemeon Fyral
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#306 - 2011-11-01 12:34:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Daemeon Fyral
Huehuehue wrote:
You don't see people saying "well he shouldn't whine it's part of the life" if a guy wanders in bad part of the town and gets beat up do you?

Actually... yes, yes I do say that, and I think that as well... if you wander into a bad part of town (its fairly well known which those are) then you are agreeing to certain risks. when you play eve which is well known to be a HTFU kind of game then you are agreeing to those same risks.

Same as when you enter a nightclub you inherently agree to the possibility of a patdown if that particular club has them in effect. If such behavior is par for the course in a particular environment then by entering said environment you are accepting the possibility of said behavior.

EDIT: also... as a predominantly high sec carebear... I would like to say... THANK ******* GOD FOR GANKERS AND PVPERS. if it wasn't for you blowing up ships I would never make any ISK
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#307 - 2011-11-01 12:37:02 UTC
Who said I left them at the door? Still flying around with my bible in my pod, and 10 commandments poster on my CQ wall.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#308 - 2011-11-01 12:45:40 UTC
Cearain wrote:

What you don't seem to understand is there is a difference between taking your internet spaceship stuff too seriously and not thinking its ok to lie to friends in order to get personal gain.

What you constantly seem to fail to grasp the the concept of roleplaying.

You aren't actually able to fly around in spaceships, you are playing that role in a roleplaying game.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#309 - 2011-11-01 13:19:50 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Ranger 1 why don't you answer some of the questions I asked?

Karl did and the discussion actually made *some* headway. He made some good and interesting points. You, however, seem incapable of moving past posting platitudes.

1: I have already answered your question directly. To repeat myself...

No, I would be at most slightly irritated if a friend in real life put one over on me and zapped my assets. Just as I would not take it overly seriously if he broke a non-aggression pact in RISK, or successfully bluffed me in Poker. It is the nature of the GAME, and has zero reflection on his behavior in reality.

You have pointedly ignored that response for the last several pages of this thread, even when it was directly pointed out that I had answered you. Which brings me to my second point....

You did not say that. Instead you quoted my question and then volunteered that your best friend and your wife and son "kicked your ass in this game." So I asked what you meant because it was unclear if that statment really addressed the question I put to you. That scenario is one where they specifically tell you, you can trust them and they then take all your assets - about 50 billion worth so that they do not need to pay a subscription any more.

If you are now indicating that in fact happened to you (and that is how your best friend "kicked your ass") I am sorry for you. Not because of billions of eve assets but because your "best" friend is not a very good friend at all. Just my opinion.

Responding only to point out that I was not referring to that post, I was referring to the one after that.

The one you keep ignoring.

And it's apparent you've never actually had a friend. Big smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Deviana Sevidon
Jades Falcon Guards
#310 - 2011-11-01 13:20:37 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

You aren't actually able to fly around in spaceships, you are playing that role in a roleplaying game.

Very few people are roleplaying here. A lot of them are playing the person they really are and that person is not the happy smiling face they show to their family, friends or superiors but the ugly bastard they have hidden behind it.

....as if 10,058 Goon voices cried out and were suddenly silenced.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#311 - 2011-11-01 13:23:11 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Karl Planck wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Seriously you may want to tell some of your coworkers that you pretend to make friends on teamspeak or vent with people in order to take their stuff. Tell them that way you don't have to pay a subscription fee or grind missions to pay for your pvp. They may *say* things like oh yeah thats interesting or even how cool that is. But I can tell you I would not be the only one who would think you are not trustworthy.

can't resist. I have. Had a huge heist a while ago. Told me boss, my wife, friends (got a few into the game from the story), even my mom. You know what every person I have ever told response to it was?

Laughter. Everyone thought it was funny. They also thought it was funny that people got so heated about this. You can label it immoral all you want but you would just be again reaffirming my point. The RPG community might take sympathy on this, everyone else is just laughing at how serious you are taking it.

Many competitive games involve an element of trickery and deception to a greater or lesser degree. Why should anyone be more upset about this happening in EVE than in a game of Poker or Risk? If you played a game of Risk with your friends and lost because 2 of them made a secret deal to combine against you whilst both pretending to ally with you, would you stop being friends with them? It sounds like you would.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#312 - 2011-11-01 13:24:16 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Why do people keep trying to associate game play with real life?
THIS IS A GAME. If you are playing the game within the rules, then what is the issue?

If you are having trouble disassociating real life actions with in-game ones, then it's time to re-evaluate your own mental condition.

Either turn off the PC and take some time off, or accept it's a game and being played as designed.

I think the problem begins with the people that don't actually have a real life.

EVE is all they have, so they try to bring the rest of their baggage on board with them.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#313 - 2011-11-01 13:25:26 UTC
Deviana Sevidon wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Very few people are roleplaying here. A lot of them are playing the person they really are and that person is not the happy smiling face they show to their family, friends or superiors but the ugly bastard they have hidden behind it.

Well you got me. No point pretending any longer - when I'm not at work or playing EVE, I join up with 50 or 60 friends and we drive around looking for other drivers to murder and vehicles to destroy and loot. That's who I really am. There: I said it.

Actually, you've done me a huge favour - it's such a relief to come out into the open and say it out loud.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#314 - 2011-11-01 13:28:05 UTC
Deviana Sevidon wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Wrong, everyone is roleplaying here.

Unless you are delusional enough to think that you can actually do the stuff you can do in the game.

Everyone is playing the role of a pilot (or several) able to fly spaceships.

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#315 - 2011-11-01 13:33:25 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

The problem with this is that lots of people who behave "badly" in EVE aren't roleplaying a "bad" person in -game (e.g.a pirate), they're being themselves, doing something deliberately to annoy other people in real life, through the medium of a game.

i.e. they're griefing. EVE is, notoriously, a "griefer's paradise".

Look at it this way, supposing there was a way in which you could guarantee that every gank, every kill, in EVE was done IC - that everyone at least made some attempt at playing a role in the game. Not asking for "serious" RP, but just some attempt to get into the spirit of the game as a s-f virtual world that you pretend is real for fun.

Would there be a problem?

I doubt anybody would see a problem - then it really would be a roleplaying game.

And indeed for many people who play EVE, that's what it's like, for both "good" roleplayers and "bad".

But the trouble is, the very same mechanism that allows people to play the role of "bad" pirate or whatever, also allows people to come into the game without any concern for roleplaying, to do things solely to annoy other players for laughs. They may feel they're playing a game (and of course functionally they are) but they're not really playing a roleplaying game, they're just griefing. You even see comments in this thread - many people don't take the roleplaying seriously at all, and are amazed that others take it seriously, and laugh at it. (Or do they? Perhaps they're just covering their asses - they're too embarrassed to admit that they enjoy roleplaying spaceship pilots, so they have to pretend, all macho-like, that they don't take it seriously Lol )

Anyway, I reckon that many people who are pissed off about being ganked in EVE are NOT pissed off about being ganked by people who are playing a "bad" role - THAT would be ok, THAT would be in the spirit of the game.

They're more pissed off that the ganking is a form of mockery directed at the player, using the game rules as a medium, rather than being a form of player-made content in the role of "evil", directed at the roleplayed character.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#316 - 2011-11-01 13:34:18 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Deviana Sevidon wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Well you got me. No point pretending any longer - when I'm not at work or playing EVE, I join up with 50 or 60 friends and we drive around looking for other drivers to murder and vehicles to destroy and loot. That's who I really am. There: I said it.

Actually, you've done me a huge favour - it's such a relief to come out into the open and say it out loud.

lol

But I think he has a point in general.

EVE is like the comments section on news sites. Anonymous people show you who they REALLY are when there are no consequences. So the mild mannered wouldn't hurt a fly IT guy who got bullied as a child can be the world class A-hole he really wanted to be in the comments section...or in EVE or any other online game.

This is why I take the smack talking I get in game with a grain of salt. In real life I'm a 6'3 240 pound big guy who has a love of both power lifting and amateur MMA fighting, I know that 99% of the smack talkers/griefers/gankers/GOONS (lol) would not be saying that stuff to my face lol.

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#317 - 2011-11-01 13:37:57 UTC
Jenn, that is not what you whispered in my ear last night.
I feel hurt now.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#318 - 2011-11-01 13:47:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
I do find it clever that the example most often cited is "but what if your best friend in real life back stabbed you".

How did that become the normal situation to discuss?

Is this the deepest fear of someone that emotionally invests too heavily in EVE?

Lets clear this up.

Many people have best friends or family members that they would literally trust with their lives, however they are ultra competetive with each other and always have been. They have a common understanding that once the game has started, it's ON!!! Dont' let your guard down, don't puss out, don't get stupid or I'll eat you for lunch. I'll use every advantage possible to stomp you into the dust, so that later tonight YOU will have to be the one buying the drinks while our wives go out shopping.

See, that's very common, but some people have never had a friend like that. They've only had friends that you have to be on your best behaviour with to keep... and that's fine... but that's a limitation of your social experience, not mine.

I'm not casting stones at anyone here, but really people, you need to lighten up.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#319 - 2011-11-01 13:54:54 UTC
Barbelo Valentinian wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Cearain wrote:

The problem with this is that lots of people who behave "badly" in EVE aren't roleplaying a "bad" person in -game (e.g.a pirate), they're being themselves, doing something deliberately to annoy other people in real life, through the medium of a game.

Excuse me, but how are you able to divine that j.random annoying asshat isn't roleplaying a j.random annoying asshat?

Just how do you divine that the j.random annoying asshat isn't a very friendly person?

Or for the reverse, how can you now if the nice and helpful character in EvE isn't a scamming annoying asshat in RL?

Cunane Jeran
#320 - 2011-11-01 13:56:20 UTC
Being morally grey is very profitable in Eve.