These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#241 - 2011-10-31 19:28:07 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:
I don't think you answered either question.

People answered your questions. You just didn't get the answers you wanted.

I would like an answer that actually responds to the question. Not just a bunch of words typed after the question is quoted. There is a difference.

"Anybody who doesn't agree with my ignorant, narrow-minded views on morality is just typing a bunch of words."

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#242 - 2011-10-31 19:29:06 UTC
Riedle wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:

I would like an answer that actually responds to the question. Not just a bunch of words typed after the question is quoted. There is a difference.

Hey, wouldn't us disagreeing with you and causing you to get angry make us sociopaths as well?

I mean, if your hurt feelings are the only indicator if something done to you was moral or not shouldn't just the fact that we disagree with you be a sign that we are all psychopaths?

It depends if we are in game or out of game.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Riedle
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#243 - 2011-10-31 19:30:07 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Riedle wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Hey, wouldn't us disagreeing with you and causing you to get angry make us sociopaths as well?

I mean, if your hurt feelings are the only indicator if something done to you was moral or not shouldn't just the fact that we disagree with you be a sign that we are all psychopaths?

Why?

We are in the forums. Are you mad?
If so, does that make me a psycopath?
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#244 - 2011-10-31 19:35:30 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:

"Anybody who doesn't agree with my ignorant, narrow-minded views on morality is just typing a bunch of words."

Wow this is really touchy for you isn't it? Now I'm ignorant and narrow-minded. Smile

But anyway I would just like an response that actually responds to the question I put, instead of one that talks about how someone got their "ass kicked" by a best friend in game - whatever that means.

Karl asked me to answer questions he put to me based on my position. I answered them. Now I would like the same from people who agree with his position.

I singled out 2 of the questions several times. Still no answers.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#245 - 2011-10-31 19:39:21 UTC
Riedle wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Why?

Because it just does.

Yes I'm fuming.

Yes making someone mad on an internet forum means you are a psychopath.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#246 - 2011-10-31 19:40:09 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Riedle wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Why?

Because it just does.

Yes I'm fuming.

Oh wow then I'm practically Hannibal Lecter.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#247 - 2011-10-31 19:44:47 UTC
Cearain wrote:

Which makes as much sense as saying someone who blows up a mining ship in-game is a psychopath. This thread is only funny because you are trying so hard...never stop posting.

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#248 - 2011-10-31 19:58:10 UTC  |  Edited by: MatrixSkye Mk2
Zombatar wrote:
My issue is with people that take pleasure in the pain of others, especially on those that did absolutely nothing to warrant such action. One is a competitive game where we all fight for something and another is when you feel good to cause pain. The underling idea is the motivation behind your actions.

Pretty much this. It boils down to people's own personal intentions. If your intention is to hurt people (ie collect tears) make no mistake about it, you are a sadist. The game just happens to be the tool used to propogate malicious intentions.

Eve tends to attract some of the most bottom-of-the-barrel personalities precisely because the game allows for people that would normally get permabanned in other games not only survive but actually thrive in Eve. It's the price Eve pays for being a sandbox game.

But personally, I prefer they use Eve to grief rather than be out there hurting other people in other ways, maybe even hurting themselves. Kind of (but not really) the lesser of two evils.

Edit: In before "But but I'm a preacher and a doctor in real life and I help grannies cross the streets while saving children from orphanages!".

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#249 - 2011-10-31 20:02:16 UTC
Lemme guess, you were one of those kids that when it was time to play cops and robbers, went and sat on the swing and contemplated his navel. "Oh, look, lint!"

All EVE is, is an adult version of cops and robbers. Looking any further into it than that is silly.

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#250 - 2011-10-31 20:05:35 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
If your intention is to hurt people (ie collect tears) make no mistake about it, you are a sadist.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any derpier

Rod Blaine
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#251 - 2011-10-31 20:08:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Rod Blaine
It's not about anonimity afaic, not that i'll give you my name and phone number, but that's not the point is it?
It's because eve is escapism, and a blowshitupwithyourshipfittedMWD-thing at that.

The question should be: why don't you leave your morals at the login screen?

I mean, why exactly should you be offended by anything that is by definition not a personal thing, since the person doing it to you doesn't know who or what you are? What makes that his/her problem and not yours?
Rocky Deadshot
In The Goo
EVE Trade Alliance
#252 - 2011-10-31 20:12:30 UTC
Huehuehue wrote:
I know this is going to be a controversial topic (mostly everyone vs. me I think...) but please read trough. This is not a troll attempt of kind, but this is an attempt to generate discussion on this topic.

It seems to me that most of EVE player community seems to think , even if they don't do this themselves, that it's okay to shoot down a lone miner or missioner in low sec, steal ore, threaten someone for money etc. "It's part of the game, deal with it" is what I hear most of the time. The question I want to ask you is this: Why do you leave your morality at login screen? Don't get me wrong, pvp and such is obviously okay when both parties do it for fun and enjoyment, which is the case with most pvp in EVE. Sure, no one likes to lose but that's part of the fun too. But when you kill a lone miner who's not even in a player corp that's just evil. You don't see people saying "well he shouldn't whine it's part of the life" if a guy wanders in bad part of the town and gets beat up do you? How would like it if I came up to you and beat you up, afterwards saying "hey don't get mad, god (aka the lead dev of life ;) ) made this possible so it's cool!". You don't see theist go around saying **** like that do you?

It's so easy to be an ******* to people when you both are anonymous and it's never going to get back you. What marks a real good and moral person is his ability sympathize with others regardless of the fact who and where the other person is. "It's part of the game" is just really really bad excuse for behaving like an ******* and makes me wonder if these people are just as bad irl, or do express their inner ******* online because they don't have the balls to do it irl? I know I'd much rather just say hi to that lonely miner than blow him to pieces just because.

Some individuals will tell you that morality is a social institution. And that in an environment where the social stucture doesn't exist due to the anonymity of the internet, it is logical that individuals would act like their "true" self.

Personally, I feel the mask we were for society is our true self... and that being a **** on the internet is just a bunch of people that have issues with themselves and have to let it out with complete anonymity.
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#253 - 2011-10-31 20:12:50 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
If your intention is to hurt people (ie collect tears) make no mistake about it, you are a sadist.

I don't expect this to make sense to you and a few others. You can feel free to ignore my post above :).

Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#254 - 2011-10-31 20:18:40 UTC
I have answered these, but lets have another go at it, I've got some spare time I suppose.

Cearain wrote:

Just because something is allowed by the game rules doesn't mean its moral. Lets say CCP said that if you know someone is a certain race in real life then you *must* refer to them by a racial slur every time you see them in local. CCP would make this a rule so its "part of the game." Yet you know those people of whatever race are really hurt by this. Is it ok?

Why not?

You are arguing that the game in itself perpetuates an immoral activity, in this case is lying which, btw, is a stretch to be immoral in the first place. I said initially we could easily apply to this dog fighting. Its a sport. Its a game. Most consider it immoral.

Russian roulette is a game. Everyone agrees to the rules and know that they might die during the game. Again, many would say that this is game is immoral.

Lets throwing lying to people and blowing up internet spaceships into the same boat. At best what you can argue is intentional deception in an effort to acquire in game items that may or may not have out of game value (this tie is EXTREMELY tentative at best, so don't ride the "acquire items to pay for game time" argument into the sun). So, you are saying then that the act of deceit being allowed and supported in a game makes the game immoral. Well, since most board games rely on this as a strategic option, you are going to argue most games in existence. The very fact that they are so commonly played shows that those who are upset (really really upset) are misinterpreting the game or are simply bad sports.

The racial slur argument is completely out of context, because the game does not do this. If it did, it would be promoting a hate crime and probably would not survive the lawsuit. Have you ever played a *** game? Didn't think so. Stop applying these extreme examples to something that goes beyond the scope of the argument.

Cearain wrote:
Take a friend or family member that you would trust with all the things you listed. Take your best friend. And lets say you invited them to play eve. They constantly told you they would never take your stuff in eve that you could trust them. You had a corp together and kept both your stuff in the corp hangar lets say about 50 billion worth. Then one day you were out doing a mission with him/her and he/she ganks your ship. You go back and see that all your stuff in the corporate hangars are gone. He/she tells you he did this so that he/she wouldn't have to pay for the subscription anymore.

Now what would your reaction be?
A) as though they bluffed you in poker? "yeah nice one haha its part of the game"
or
B) would you perhaps not trust them quite so much anymore?

A) Lets take your direct example. Have I been bluffed by a friend in poker for over $100? Yes. Was I angry when it happened? Yes. Did I call him immoral for the play? Of course not.

Lets put this in EVE now. A friend just robbed me of 50bil. Would I be pissed. OH HELL YES. Would I show up at his place screaming bloody murder about what how evil I thought he was. Of course not. Would I trust him with my in game assets anymore. Of course not, I would have already begun plotting my vengeance (and it would be sweet).

Would I hit the bars with them? Check on how things are with his family? Shoot the sh*t from time to time? Talk about EVE? Of course I would, cause there has been some REAL F*CKING things we have gone through that extend BEYOND A GAME. You know...REALITY.

B) Trust them how? In game. LOL. No. I wouldn't loan them an ibis. Trust them to come over and house sit? Yes I would. They made a great play. Just because you have and adversary doesn't mean they can't be your friend. My dad has kicked my ass in chess for years, we get along great.

BTW I am still surprised you don't see the point of my earlier example. Why would you think you can't trust someone on game form their trespasses, but you wouldn't trust them out of game if you trusted them with all your assets in game? Unless you don't trust people at all. Or, you couldn't trust someone in a game without trusting them as a person, in which case make sure never play poker together.

I has all the eve inactivity

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#255 - 2011-10-31 20:22:27 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Which makes as much sense as saying someone who blows up a mining ship in-game is a psychopath. This thread is only funny because you are trying so hard...never stop posting.

Yes, right, there was no irony in anything I said in that post.

I think you're the one trying too hard.

We know you have nothing to offer on this topic other than trying to insult others. Get some rest.

Neve Talie-Ko
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#256 - 2011-10-31 20:23:38 UTC
Like football (American or otherwise) play is an opportunity to exercise the parts of our psyche that go unused in this modern regulated society we inhabit. We all need to be ready to protect our genetic interest in the next generation, but we have little opportunity to practice the combat skills that might be necessary if the modern world were to go to hell.
Paragon Renegade
Sebiestor Tribe
#257 - 2011-10-31 20:24:35 UTC
As evidenced by the thread.........

You need Villains before you can have heroes

:3

The pie is a tautology

Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#258 - 2011-10-31 20:25:00 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

I don't expect this to make sense to you and a few others. You can feel free to ignore my post above :).

Games in themselves encourage players to be sadistic and masochistic. Typically we call it a challenge. We enjoy the experience as a whole. Simply calling ppl sadists is just trolling, because there is a huge gap between splodering someones internet pixels and whipping someone while you jerk it.

*Edit: what a quote to start page 15 lol

I has all the eve inactivity

Velicitia
XS Tech
#259 - 2011-10-31 20:25:29 UTC
Xien Anh wrote:
I have a space ship with laser guns and I'm gonna shoot stuff with it. Ain't nothing gonna stop me except someone with bigger guns.

or a gang of people with similar sized and/or smaller guns... Twisted

or CONCORD.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#260 - 2011-10-31 20:38:52 UTC  |  Edited by: MatrixSkye Mk2
Karl Planck wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:

Games in themselves encourage players to be sadistic and masochistic. Typically we call it a challenge. We enjoy the experience as a whole. Simply calling ppl sadists is just trolling, because there is a huge gap between splodering someones internet pixels and whipping someone while you jerk it.

*Edit: what a quote to start page 15 lol

I am sure there are rogue games out there forged to encourage sadism and cruel intentions. But that is not what games generally are for. And I don't think Eve is meant to be a game played to bring out the worst in people either. Just like most games it is meant to instill discipline, team spirit, and a healthy dose of entertainment.

And for the record, playing the bad guy in Eve doesn't necessarily make you bad in real life. But playing a sadistic a-hole out to collect tears for your own amusement, as a few idiots proudly profess, well, that's no longer playing at all. Those are actually *real* malicious feelings that you have and project to others using the game as the tool to deliver rather than a simple entertainment venue.

If you get enjoyment from causing misery to others you can pretend all you want that it's just in-game, but the fact is that your enjoyment is very real. And that is the very definition of sadism.