These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#221 - 2011-10-31 18:30:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Cearain wrote:
Here is another question that was irrelevant and stupid.
Indeed it was. Irrational hyperbole based on flawed premises usually works that way.
Quote:
Does mittens know you are here posting instead of making him money and fame in null sec? You better get ratting and stop pretending you can think for yourself. You can't.
Wow. You really weren't kidding when you said you were prejudiced, were you? Ugh
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#222 - 2011-10-31 18:32:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
Tippia wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Here is another question that was irrelevant and stupid.
Indeed it was. Irrational hyperbole based on flawed premises usually works that way.

What ever you do don't actually try to think and answer the question. Anything but that. Just post more about how much you dislike my own posts.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#223 - 2011-10-31 18:34:37 UTC
Cearain wrote:
What ever you do don't actually try to think and answer the question. Anything but that.
Why would I answer a question about real life when we're talking about in-game morals?

You do understand that you're asking about real life here, right? Or are you still unable to distinguish the two?
Cambarus
The Baros Syndicate
#224 - 2011-10-31 18:34:47 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Just because something is allowed by the game rules doesn't mean its moral. Lets say CCP said that if you know someone is a certain race in real life then you *must* refer to them by a racial slur everytime you see them in local. CCP would make this a rule so its "part of the game." Yet you know those people of whatever race are really hurt by this. Is it ok?

Why not?

Here is another question that was overlooked.

It's part of the game, simple as that really. There are many, many games out there that cater to people who want to be moral white knights, but eve is not one of them. Eve is not JUST a sandbox, it is often described (by its creators no less) as a harsh, unforgiving universe. Hell one of their recent ads featured a guy who cripples an entire alliance by stealing all of their stuff. It's not just that it's allowed; it's that it's considered one of the fundamental aspects of the game. You don't whine about morality when someone kills off your rook in chess, so don't whine when someone kills off your barge in eve.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#225 - 2011-10-31 18:34:48 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Justin Credulent wrote:
The thing is, whether or not it's "part of the game" or "not against the rules"... the fact is your actions are still 100% your choice.

Players who try to hide behind lines like "nowhere in EVE is safe" or "the GMs allow it" or "it's just part of the game" are moral and intellectual cowards trying to pass off blame for their own actions (and guilt) onto an innocent third party.

Do you believe that Ice Hockey, American football & Rugby players should be charged with assault, robbery with violence, conspiracy to commit assault, and in the case of hockey players, assault with a weapon? The coaches might well be charged with incitement as well as conspiracy, too.

(They cross state lines - even national borders - to commit these crimes, too! That makes it a Federal offence in America!)

What if, during a rugby or (American) football game, the teams would intentionally target individual players and injure them on purpose, and then on their blogs brag about how they wrecked this guys season or put that guy out of a career?

Sure they could not and should not be charged with assault but would they still be allowed to play?

Would they be considered good players?

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#226 - 2011-10-31 18:39:46 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
What if, during a rugby or (American) football game, the teams would intentionally target individual players and injure them on purpose, and then on their blogs brag about how they wrecked this guys season or put that guy out of a career?

Sure they could not and should not be charged with assault but would they still be allowed to play?

Would they be considered good players?
You can make a fairly good career out of that…P
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#227 - 2011-10-31 18:40:46 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Here comes goonswarm with their stampede of stupidity.

Does mittens know you are here posting instead of making him money and fame in null sec? You better get ratting and stop pretending you can think for yourself. You can't.

I have to hand it to you...most people when getting thrashed this bad on the forums would have quietly faded away to lick their wounds and contemplate where they went wrong in life but you are standing firm and not letting little things like logic or the truth get in the way of your badposting. You're an example to us all.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#228 - 2011-10-31 18:42:51 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Cearain wrote:
What ever you do don't actually try to think and answer the question. Anything but that.
Why would I answer a question about real life when we're talking about in-game morals?

You do understand that you're asking about real life here, right? Or are you still unable to distinguish the two?

This game involves allot of metagaming so there is not such a clear line between ingame and out of game.

If there were you would be able to answer the questions I put forth as easilly as I can answer your questions.

But clearly you haven't thought things through enough to answer questions. My pointing that out is upsetting you leading you to take pot shots at me.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#229 - 2011-10-31 18:45:39 UTC
Cambarus wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Just because something is allowed by the game rules doesn't mean its moral. Lets say CCP said that if you know someone is a certain race in real life then you *must* refer to them by a racial slur everytime you see them in local. CCP would make this a rule so its "part of the game." Yet you know those people of whatever race are really hurt by this. Is it ok?

Why not?

Here is another question that was overlooked.

It's part of the game, simple as that really. There are many, many games out there that cater to people who want to be moral white knights, but eve is not one of them. Eve is not JUST a sandbox, it is often described (by its creators no less) as a harsh, unforgiving universe. Hell one of their recent ads featured a guy who cripples an entire alliance by stealing all of their stuff. It's not just that it's allowed; it's that it's considered one of the fundamental aspects of the game. You don't whine about morality when someone kills off your rook in chess, so don't whine when someone kills off your barge in eve.

So you would use the racial slurs and that would be fine?

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#230 - 2011-10-31 18:54:29 UTC
One man's racial slur is another man's term of endearment.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#231 - 2011-10-31 18:55:02 UTC
Cearain wrote:
This game involves allot of metagaming so there is not such a clear line between ingame and out of game.
…but we're talking about in-game morality here.
Quote:
If there were you would be able to answer the questions I put forth as easilly as I can answer your questions.
…and that's why your question is not relevant: because it is not part of the topic — it's out-of-game.

And if it's so easy for you to answer our questions, why aren't you?
Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#232 - 2011-10-31 18:55:26 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Cearain wrote:

But clearly you haven't thought things through enough to answer questions. My pointing that out is upsetting you leading you to take pot shots at me.

Dude, at this point people have stopped trying to REASON with you, which doesn't mean they have succeeded to your arguments. I answered the question you laid out before, which is that games that require lying you are argue are immoral by nature. However this is usually disregarded as most people forgo the typically immoral behaviour as immoral simply because all of the parties agree to it.

While EVE is a far more complicated game than other examples that can be produced, it does not remove the fundamental similarities it shares with other games such as risk or poker. The failure to realize that you are accepting these "codes of conduct" simply means you are making the game harder for yourself.

Your not the first by any means. CVA holding themselves to a NRDS policy, or PIE Inc only flying on amarr hulls is them playing the game in their own way, separate from the base rules.

This is the same as you EXPECTING people to bring the IRL morals into the GAME. Yes, you are holding yourself to a different standard but it is silly to think that everyone else ought to play by your adjusted rule set.

This goes back to my last question to you about allowing people REAL trust from the VIRTUAL trust they have built with you. The fact that there is a difference between them should exemplify what I am talking about. IRL behavior goes out the window based upon original agreement you submit to by simply playing a game.

I has all the eve inactivity

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#233 - 2011-10-31 18:57:47 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Here comes goonswarm with their stampede of stupidity.

I have to hand it to you...most people when getting thrashed this bad on the forums would have quietly faded away to lick their wounds and contemplate where they went wrong in life but you are standing firm and not letting little things like logic or the truth get in the way of your badposting. You're an example to us all.

I doubt you even know what logic is. Logic is not just crying "your making bad posts" every time you can't give an intelligent response to problems with your position.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#234 - 2011-10-31 19:00:32 UTC
Let's suppose...

A windstorm blows a tree down and it hits your car. The car is wrecked.

How would that feel?

You are wanting to challenge a group of punks for local control of the block, you do them wrong, or tresspass on their turf, or mess with their activities. They vandalize and wreck your car.

How would that feel?

You mind your own business and the punks on the block who you never met before vandalize your car for the fun of it. The car is wrecked.

How would that feel?

(now imagine in the third case they set up a billboard with your picture and the wrecked car and some snarky comments - how would that feel?)

Now let's imagine:

You want to really ruin somebody's day. The world must pay because it condemned you to such a sorry neckbearded existence.
Which target would least interest you:

- another neckbeard who probably deserves your wrath.
- someone who you paint as beneath you, using derogatory terms (carebear) and somehow needing to be taken down a notch somehow for not being a neckbeard, and will really not take lightly to the treatment?

As far as "doing it because you can" goes, and the old yarn of "don't compare real life to a game", take a good look at the state of the economy and warfare in the world today and you will see that the application of "do it because I can" is just as alive and well in the real world as in any game.

The difference is that SOME people can get away with anything, and if you are not one of them, you won't get away with anything.

Makes me wonder though. Perhaps the high rate of "doing it because I can" are on the part of those many people who have been on the receiving end of "doing it because I can" and therefore must come to a game and do it to someone else. That is, since you can't do anything about the people who wronged you, select someone in a game and do likewise?

Maybe there is a deep dark motive to MMOs? Would the world be a better place if every asshat who deserved revenge upon them got it instead of their victims running off and giving grief in some virtual existence that matters little?

hmmmmmmmmm

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#235 - 2011-10-31 19:04:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
Karl Planck wrote:

. I answered the question you laid out before, .....

Here is one question I would like to hear answered by people taking a position similar to yours:

Cearain wrote:

Why not?

Here is the other:

Cearain wrote:
Take a friend or family member that you would trust with all the things you listed. Take your best friend. And lets say you invited them to play eve. They constantly told you they would never take your stuff in eve that you could trust them. You had a corp together and kept both your stuff in the corp hangar lets say about 50 billion worth. Then one day you were out doing a mission with him/her and he/she ganks your ship. You go back and see that all your stuff in the corporate hangars are gone. He/she tells you he did this so that he/she wouldn't have to pay for the subscription anymore.

Now what would your reaction be?
A) as though they bluffed you in poker? "yeah nice one haha its part of the game"
or
B) would you perhaps not trust them quite so much anymore?

I don't think you answered either question.

Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#236 - 2011-10-31 19:07:34 UTC
Cearain wrote:

People answered your questions. You just didn't get the answers you wanted.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#237 - 2011-10-31 19:10:39 UTC
I dont leave my morality "at the door" even though I enjoy being a bad guy.
Yes, I usually choose to kill the lone miner as well as many other things. That doesnt mean I dont meet new people.
I always try to stay away from personal insults unless I'm offended first.
The way I act in eve could be a lot worse than it is now.

Killing, stealing, scamming and all that stuff is alright in my books. Eve is not as black and white as most games, which makes all the good-and-evil kind of decisions mean something to the player. I'm just one of those people who enjoy playing as a baddy. And you know, the pod goo of an unsuspecting victim just tastes the best.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#238 - 2011-10-31 19:13:45 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:

I would like an answer that actually responds to the question. Not just a bunch of words typed after the question is quoted. There is a difference.

Xien Anh
Xezan Federation
#239 - 2011-10-31 19:16:41 UTC
I have a space ship with laser guns and I'm gonna shoot stuff with it. Ain't nothing gonna stop me except someone with bigger guns.

Only a ginger can call a ginger a ginger!

Riedle
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#240 - 2011-10-31 19:25:19 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:
Cearain wrote:

I would like an answer that actually responds to the question. Not just a bunch of words typed after the question is quoted. There is a difference.

Hey, wouldn't us disagreeing with you and causing you to get angry make us sociopaths as well?

I mean, if your hurt feelings are the only indicator if something done to you was moral or not shouldn't just the fact that we disagree with you be a sign that we are all psychopaths?