These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

destroyers - gankers and high sec

First post First post
Author
Shalua Rui
Rui Freelance Mining
#141 - 2013-09-16 13:08:07 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Please don't they will start calling for sticks to be nerfed.

I didn't say pointy sticks... Blink

"ginger forum goddess, space gypsy and stone nibbler extraordinaire!" Shalua Rui - CEO and founder of Rui Freelance Mining (RFLM)

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#142 - 2013-09-16 13:11:50 UTC
Shalua Rui wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Please don't they will start calling for sticks to be nerfed.

I didn't say pointy sticks... Blink

They don't care.
Angeal MacNova
Holefood Inc.
Warriors of the Blood God
#143 - 2013-09-16 13:24:51 UTC
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/eu_realmstats.php

Just going to throw these up wrt server population on both US and EU servers. I really don't care but if somebody that does is will, then they could count up the total population on PvE servers and compare it to the total population on PvP servers. That would give a better indication one way or the other.

All I know is when Aion came out, it went down hill fast and one of the biggest reasons was the ganking. You suicide yourself to lose xp and maintain a certain level, twink yourself out, and go through the portal to ambush unsuspecting victims as they try and fight pve mobs in their homeland.

However, EVE serves a niche crowd and it always has. People know this and they can gauge pretty quickly if the game is for them or not.

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/goodnight-sweet-prince/

http://www.projectvaulderie.com/the-untold-story/

CCP's true, butthurt, colors.

Because those who can't do themselves keep others from doing too.

Shalua Rui
Rui Freelance Mining
#144 - 2013-09-16 13:28:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Shalua Rui
baltec1 wrote:
They don't care.

My my... you really must have had some BAD experiences with miners... Roll

Angeal MacNova wrote:
However, EVE serves a niche crowd and it always has. People know this and they can gauge pretty quickly if the game is for them or not.

Good thing the, very vocal, forum crowd (yea, 3 people already IS a crowd) doesn't make much of a difference, one way or the other then, hu? Blink Not even the fabled New Order is more then a passing nuisance for most players...

"ginger forum goddess, space gypsy and stone nibbler extraordinaire!" Shalua Rui - CEO and founder of Rui Freelance Mining (RFLM)

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#145 - 2013-09-16 13:50:26 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
I don't think that's it at all. Most people play games for fun. And they find fun in doing various things. Industry for example can be fun, but requires a level of semi-afk mining in some cases. As in most games, having your progress smashed because of another player is considerably less fun, so that's why people leave. Personally I just avoid gankers (unless I'm ganking) but I do sometime question if EVE really provides me as much fun as I've had in other games in comparison with the level of input. Next gen consoles are likely to have me reduce my number of accounts.

This just demonstrates that you don't have the proper mind set (or mental capacity) for EVE if it's "not as fun as it could be".

I so get tired of that egalitarain "people have fun in various ways" crap. We know that Einstein, which is why I have fun shooting red boxes and have never once ganked a non-combat ship in high sec (because I don't find it fun).

What matters is what a game is. EVE is supposed to be a cold, dark game that gives the players more freedom of action than your average MMO. little by little that freedom is being stripped away in the name of safety (and theoretically, profit for the game makers, though that remains to be seen). Ironically, that's how it is IRL, people can't handle the uncertainty of freedom and end up "trapped" in a safe but smothering cocoon.

It's just a shame to see EVE going that way. There are more than enough games for people like you (STO comes to mind), yet you refuse to play them while refusing to see the quality provided by a dangerous EVE.

Quote:

Oh, and you only love your "badlands" while there are unwilling participants.

I have said time and time again on these forums (including in threads whereyou have posted) that I am a PVE player. I don't care about unwilling participants. In addtion to being either illiterate or a liar (probably both), your a hypocrite, because of the two of us, you're the only one who has ever ganked anyone in high sec.....

Quote:

The reason that PvP servers are so unpopular when there is a non-pvp option is because the PvP server is stripped of it's easy kills. In the end, without carebears, you'd be quite sad that everyone you engage fights back. Remember, you're not Snake Pliskin, you're a basement geek with a keyboard.

Again, this is the common carebear defense cry. Sorry to tell you, but you aren't talking to a PVPr.

The reason pvp is less popular in gaming than PVE is that PVP comes with a chance to lose. The guy going to a job he hates, coming home to a wife and kids (or parents) that he also hates just wants to WIN at something, even if that something is artificial. Me personally, I "pvp" all day at work, which is why I come home and kill Blood Raiders and Angles all night instead of ganking defenseless folk, see, I actually have a life.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#146 - 2013-09-16 14:30:51 UTC
I love the pro-pvp posing. I doubt there is anyone who pvp's "full time" who doesn't do some form of carebear activity. If they don't that's because they get ships replaced, payed for by members who do pve activities.

Most of that activity occurs either in safe null or high sec. The majority of that in highsec.

You can argue all you like about what I'm going to say next but that activity has to be done in relative safety or its not going to be done at all. No safety, no subscriptions to run the servers, no pvp.

75% of players are in high sec. Don't tell me that they're 3 of the each null seccers alts because that's bs. PvE primarily is what keeps this game afloat.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#147 - 2013-09-16 14:35:54 UTC
... assuming OP removed all text from her post because it was 100% bullonium.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#148 - 2013-09-16 14:38:30 UTC
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:

Or the community here is nasty and made them feel uncomfortable.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#149 - 2013-09-16 14:43:20 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Side note though, in a 0.5 a T1 Cata can take out a hulk with relative ease, and that will set you back ~2m.
Could you please post a fit for this 1000 DPS Catalyst?

Or would you like to revise your story?
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#150 - 2013-09-16 14:44:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Plastic Psycho
Lucas Kell wrote:
Jim Roebuck wrote:
I did a quick EFT fit for a Catalyst going for 800 DPS, highest I've managed to get was 612, so you sir are wrong about an 800 DPS Catalyst fit.

You need to use T2 guns, have max skills and use implants to get like 740 ish if i remember rightly. That about the best.

Side note though, in a 0.5 a T1 Cata can take out a hulk with relative ease, and that will set you back ~2m.

Just for grins, last night i built myself one of my standard-fit Cheap-Cats in Hek. With Meta-3 Neutrons, it was just under 8.5M ISK, turning 453 DPS (unheated) with no implants (loading 12 volleys of CN AM). That's more than enough to pop a Retriever or even a Covetor (check my KB - I got one. One.) before Concordokken, but an untanked hulk would be an unlikely kill.

A 2M ISK Cat isn't going to do the job even in 0.5 against an untanked Retriever, much less take a Hulk. Hell, the hull itself is close to a million, before you even start adding weapons. You're going to have to spend a mite more than that.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#151 - 2013-09-16 14:50:10 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:

We do that to folks as post unmitigated garbage.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#152 - 2013-09-16 14:54:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Infinity Ziona wrote:
I love the pro-pvp posing. I doubt there is anyone who pvp's "full time" who doesn't do some form of carebear activity. If they don't that's because they get ships replaced, payed for by members who do pve activities.

Most of that activity occurs either in safe null or high sec. The majority of that in highsec.

You can argue all you like about what I'm going to say next but that activity has to be done in relative safety or its not going to be done at all. No safety, no subscriptions to run the servers, no pvp.

75% of players are in high sec. Don't tell me that they're 3 of the each null seccers alts because that's bs. PvE primarily is what keeps this game afloat.

Incorrect (as usual). 75% of CHARACTERS are in high sec, many of them enslaved isk-alts like mine. PvE is useful, it brings isk and items into the game.

But what keeps the game afloat is CONSUMPTION. Nothing anyone in high sec or any PVE player anywhere (myself included) does means jack if pvp players aren't killing that 1.7 million ships per year in null sec. The isk in your wallet and mine is meaningless without them.

This is the difference between PVE players like me and carebears like those present on these forums: I KNOW which side my bread is buttered on. I know that the items I gain from exploration and sell in jita (BPCs, a and X type mods etc) go to other PVE players who are most likely to be gathering isk to fund pvp activities. I know that without the PVP player that I sometimes don't get along with, my own gameplay would be meaningless.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#153 - 2013-09-16 14:55:10 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
...see, I actually have a life.

You were doing great, right up this point. 'Tis a commonly-held but fallacious belief that gankers have no life. We do. Or, at least, most of us do. Just as most EVE players in general have a life.

We just play differently.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#154 - 2013-09-16 14:55:31 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:

In other words this is a grown ups play ground and silly little over-sensitive kids should be somewhere else?

Working as intended.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#155 - 2013-09-16 14:57:28 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
War declared on OP because I can...

Was wondering when I'd get to this post in this thread. Its like finally getting to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#156 - 2013-09-16 15:00:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Jenn aSide wrote:
Incorrect (as usual). 75% of CHARACTERS are in high sec, many of them enslaved isk-alts like mine. PvE is useful, it brings isk and items into the game.
…it's only 65% (trending downwards) actually, last we saw any numbers on it.
So the number of highsec players could easily be some 30% or so (which, incidentally, matches neatly with 73% of players liking nullsec gameplay).
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#157 - 2013-09-16 15:05:11 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

The exact numbers, and even the trend, are kinda before the point. I do PvE in Hi quite a lot. Keeps me close to where the action is, close to where BB fleets form, and is generally a useful place to be. Sure, I could get greater return in Lo or Nul, but my main keeps me in funds, so that's not real important.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#158 - 2013-09-16 15:13:33 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
So the number of highsec players could easily be some 30% or so (which, incidentally, matches neatly with 73% of players liking nullsec gameplay).

You and your articulated facts and critical thinking again! Blah, you should learn to relax and think the high sec way ie "go with whatever feels good, no matter what the actual situation is". You know, the hippie way Big smile .
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#159 - 2013-09-16 15:41:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Varius Xeral
Let's take a hypothetical game, we'll call it "EBE Online". This game has consistently for ten years running been generally unremarkable in every classic metric for measuring mainstream videogames. However, EBE Online has one defining characteristic that distinguishes it from all other mainstream games, we'll call this hypothetical characteristic " emerbent gameplay". Despite being consistently mediocre or worse in all the usual characteristics of videogames, EBE Online manages to consistently survive and generally grow year after year for a decade while almost every other mainstream game dies in flames around it.

Who in their right mind would look at this situation and suggest that dumbing down emerbent gameplay is the key to unlocking greater success for EBE Online?

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#160 - 2013-09-16 15:56:57 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Let's take a hypothetical game, we'll call it "EBE Online". This game has consistently for ten years running been generally unremarkable in every classic metric for measuring mainstream videogames. However, EBE Online has one defining characteristic that distinguishes it from all other mainstream games, we'll call this hypothetical characteristic " emerbent gameplay". Despite being consistently mediocre or worse in all the usual characteristics of videogames, EBE Online manages to consistently survive and generally grow year after year for a decade while almost every other mainstream game dies in flames around it.

Who in their right mind would look at this situation and suggest that dumbing down emerbent gameplay is the key to unlocking greater success for EBE Online?

Ask CCP I guess. Apparently several people there feel just that way.