These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

GM clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service

First post First post First post
Author
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1261 - 2013-09-13 11:20:28 UTC
If "FC A" contacts "FC B" and convinces him that he isn't "FC A" but rather "FC C"; a friend, and convinces "FC B" to move his fleet to 'System X' for a goodfight, only to drop his fleet on them and kill them can "FC B" now petition this?

If yes, please fix.
Ominaeon
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1262 - 2013-09-13 11:27:46 UTC
I for one applaud this move. EVE has been a cold, dark place for a long time, and it's nice to see the GMs and devs beginning to understand that protecting their playerbase from "griefers" is in their best interests. Nullsec isn't relevant in this game anymore (thanks to the CFC) and so the focus must shift to those in high sec that earn an honest living through mining and mission running. "Scamming" and "multiboxing" hurt the online playerbase and the economy and must be rigidly policed to avoid driving the high-sec core of EVE away from the game and into the arms of an (admittedly) superior game like FFXIV.

These safeguards will allow CCP to begin the transition that all major MMOs of the last decade have taken towards a friendlier, less dangerous atmosphere that fosters good will and FUN (read:PvE) for all. Personally, I might actually consider deactivating my WoW account (lvl 90 Pandaren XD) and coming here to run missions in high sec full time just for the social aspect of it!

Truly a good move by CCP. Scamming wasn't fun for anyone, and protecting the playerbase is what EVE is all about.
Lady Areola Fappington
#1263 - 2013-09-13 11:27:49 UTC
Sol Kal'orr wrote:
If "FC A" contacts "FC B" and convinces him that he isn't "FC A" but rather "FC C"; a friend, and convinces "FC B" to move his fleet to 'System X' for a goodfight, only to drop his fleet on them and kill them can "FC B" now petition this?

If yes, please fix.

Yes, FC A will be FC BANNED.

It's always been this way, everyone knows that. You can't pretend to be anyone. They made it real obvious in the ToS and errything!

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1264 - 2013-09-13 11:28:58 UTC
Ominaeon wrote:
I for one applaud this move. EVE has been a cold, dark place for a long time, and it's nice to see the GMs and devs beginning to understand that protecting their playerbase from "griefers" is in their best interests. Nullsec isn't relevant in this game anymore (thanks to the CFC) and so the focus must shift to those in high sec that earn an honest living through mining and mission running. "Scamming" and "multiboxing" hurt the online playerbase and the economy and must be rigidly policed to avoid driving the high-sec core of EVE away from the game and into the arms of an (admittedly) superior game like FFXIV.

These safeguards will allow CCP to begin the transition that all major MMOs of the last decade have taken towards a friendlier, less dangerous atmosphere that fosters good will and FUN (read:PvE) for all. Personally, I might actually consider deactivating my WoW account (lvl 90 Pandaren XD) and coming here to run missions in high sec full time just for the social aspect of it!

Truly a good move by CCP. Scamming wasn't fun for anyone, and protecting the playerbase is what EVE is all about.

9/10 nicely executed

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Arimathea Anthalas
Doomheim
#1265 - 2013-09-13 11:30:56 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
First brutally honest feedback. I'll word it as politely as possible without sacrificing honesty.

This is the biggest knife in the heart of EVE's gameplay and culture of 'spies and deception are everywhere' since the Incarna debacle. I have no confidence in the ability of the people behind this change to understand EVE, let alone implement reasonable policies or rules.

It appears that any deceptive behaviour at all that involves a declaration that "X is my alt" or "I am working in conjunction with X" is against the rules, and by extension, and outsourcing of core activities of a corporation, alliance or 'entity' now has CCP enforcing the honesty of such dealings.

For instance, under the new rules Goonswarm Federation retain the CCP endorsed right to scam people interested in renting space from them. However, in the unlikely situation that Goonswarm were to appoint me (a non-member of the alliance) as a third party to act on their behalf in rental deals, I would not be allowed to scam and and deliberate scamming by me of renters would be an account-ban offence. (A similar situation would occur if I were to collude with a 'renter' that intended to not pay but instead use their 'rented space' as a staging ground to attack GSF interests).

Particularly relevant to sovereign nullsec is that one of the major vectors for inserting spies into hostile entities, applying to multiple corps saying "I am XYZ's alt", fishing for one that is not vigilant enough to API verify this information, is no longer legal.

What you should be doing is the following:

- Ban names that are deceptively close to existing character, corporation or alliance names. GM discretion applies when it's unclear (Currln Trading is clearly deceptively close to Currin Trading; while 'Avengers of the South' would not be deceptively close to 'Southern Avengers')
- Ban deceptive conduct carried out on CCP hosted websites other than the official EVE forums
- Change the font so that capital 'o' and 'zero' look more different ingame than the presently do. Likewise for capital 'i' and lower case 'l'.
- Remove all reference to 'entities'. The game client recognises corporations and alliances. It doesn't recognise coalitions, the New Order or other such 'entities'.
- Explicitly allow players to lie about their affiliation to in-game corporations and alliances and to other characters, as long as they do not do so in ways that 'trick' the in-game methods for checking this information. Disallowed would be misuse of CCP websites and any form of API falsification. (Providing information and saying 'this is what my API says' should be fine; altering what the API actually says should be a banhammer).

Hi. I don't log in to this game much these days. However, hearing about this absolutely asinine set of changes has compelled me to make my first forum post in a long, long time.

You guys need to get your heads examined. I think what Sabriz said above is pretty much what you should do, but I don't think the name banning in #1 makes sense. Since I started playing this game, which was a long time ago, it has been an obvious piece of advice to new players that EVE is a wretched hive of scum and villainy and as a result, you had better triple check the facts before you do a business deal. I have the sneaking suspicion this is your first volley in making EVE friendlier to the new player and eliminating scams altogether. I'm sorry, but that is not what EVE is about, and in a lot of ways I think that the EVE scamming environment attracts more people than it turns off.

I know that GMs deal with an inordinate amount of complaints from people who have been scammed, and with the increasing prevalence of PLEX transactions in today's EVE a scam represents real money, sometimes quite a lot of it. If your goal is to reduce complaints, put a fat disclaimer somewhere and remind people of the way the world operates. While you're at it, you may want to tell them they might get mugged at night if they walk into a dark alleyway, and the police might not be standing outside to save them. You might want to mention to them that they shouldn't invest their life savings in that hedge fund, and that those advertised products on TV don't always make your wife happy. Point them to the disclaimer when they file a GM ticket. Hell, use my language verbatim, I don't care.

EVE has come a long way towards improving player confidence and making a lot of exceptionally positive changes to the game over the past few years. Please don't turn around and go the other way.

If you really want to increase veracity in transactions, how about you implement some kind of quick "certificate auth" system, allowing people to do that the right way and validate a user based on something they know? Allow CEOs to generate "corporate certificates" and hand them out to players, then view that through the system, and allow players to send certificates to their alts etc via email. The best part about this, it preserves scamming and opens up a whole new avenue to do so while still fulfilling your goals (think of the in-game hilarity when someone's alt with Director rights gets the ability to generate a certificate and wreak even more havoc). You don't even have to write new code for this, just put a fancy wrapper around OpenSSL, which you already have in both client and server, and you can reuse the existing code for the slightly useless Player Certificates system for learning skills, which has a fairly similar interface to what i'm describing.

Or, y'know, just don't do this, because it's stupid.
Madlof Chev
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1266 - 2013-09-13 11:33:09 UTC
here's a novel idea

instead of dealing with whiny petitions by changing the rules to placate them, maybe you could tell them to go and stick their petitions up their buttes
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1267 - 2013-09-13 11:33:29 UTC
I feel this is a good change and I hope CCP continues to improve the experiences of both new and older players by continuing along this line.

I think scammers represent a very small % of the player base, the majority of them are absolutely annoying (just go to Jita for a minute or two) but I imagine they have a significant impact on both old and new players retention rate, especially the new players scammed out of ISK and deciding to leave rather than stay around.

Just go watch Star Citizen advert on Youtube and its easy to imagine that new subscribers would choose that over EvE if they heard about the things rich veteran players get away with doing to newer players here in EvE. I wouldn't come here if I had to start again and had to risk everything being scammed, blown up in a suicide attack or the many other ways that veteran players discourage new players from continuing to subscribe.

I say bad freak luck to the veteran whiners in this thread, if you want to hurt people in game, put some guns on a ship and attack them (not safely by suiciding) but go out to null sec, low sec or wh space and attack them.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

arabella blood
Keyboard Jihad
#1268 - 2013-09-13 11:35:53 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Ominaeon wrote:

9/10 nicely executed

Except that TOS change isn't how you achive that...But still nice idea :)

Troll for hire. Cheap prices.

Lady Areola Fappington
#1269 - 2013-09-13 11:37:17 UTC
Ominaeon and Infinity Ziona get the "Best satire on page 64" award. Everyone cheer!

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Xaan Trenk
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1270 - 2013-09-13 11:38:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Xaan Trenk
Player clarification on rewording of the Terms of Service : this is bollocks

Seriously CCP, WTF is wrong with you ?

The whole game is meant to be harsh. "EvE is hard, are you up to it"

You were the ones trumpeting this on your website !

This is what eve is about : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I

Lie, steal, be ruthless.

I am a casual empire player, and I don't want the game to soften a bit ! That's what makes it special. If I wanna be able to go whine at friendly carebear GM then I would play wow or some other noob theme park game.
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#1271 - 2013-09-13 11:40:28 UTC
Posting in a thread that wont change anything as the CCP GM and Legal team have already made their mind up and I haven't seen them listen to the players once yet.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Kari Juptris
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1272 - 2013-09-13 11:42:43 UTC
Karidor please pass the pipe because I need whatever it is you're smoking. Have you actually played EVE?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#1273 - 2013-09-13 11:45:41 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
I feel this is a good change and I hope CCP continues to improve the experiences of both new and older players by continuing along this line.

I think scammers represent a very small % of the player base, the majority of them are absolutely annoying (just go to Jita for a minute or two) but I imagine they have a significant impact on both old and new players retention rate, especially the new players scammed out of ISK and deciding to leave rather than stay around.

Just go watch Star Citizen advert on Youtube and its easy to imagine that new subscribers would choose that over EvE if they heard about the things rich veteran players get away with doing to newer players here in EvE. I wouldn't come here if I had to start again and had to risk everything being scammed, blown up in a suicide attack or the many other ways that veteran players discourage new players from continuing to subscribe.

I say bad freak luck to the veteran whiners in this thread, if you want to hurt people in game, put some guns on a ship and attack them (not safely by suiciding) but go out to null sec, low sec or wh space and attack them.

Scamming is actually one of the great levellers between old and new players; few scams require much in the way of skillpoints, and many don't take much ISK either.

Like most such attempts to obtain special treatment by arbitrary interdiction of player interaction, this change favours the rich players at the expense of the poor.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Sirane Elrek
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1274 - 2013-09-13 11:49:04 UTC
Kari Juptris wrote:
Have you actually played EVE?

pretty sure he hasn't because otherwise "you can't verify somebody claiming to be an alt by ingame means" is just sad instead of misguided
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1275 - 2013-09-13 11:49:30 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
Ominaeon and Infinity Ziona get the "Best satire on page 64" award. Everyone cheer!

I would thumbs up if I thought Ziona was kidding. But, I have seen her say some really dumb stuff, so I am not sure she isn't serious.

The other guy? That was classic. I was just about to jump down his throat when I noticed Malcanis' reply and gave it a more thorough look. But then, it might have been that I have been awake all night.

Oh, and to stay on topic, this is a bad change. Revert immediately until more clear language can be arranged for at the local community college.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1276 - 2013-09-13 11:54:03 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:

Fun fact: The scammers that advertise in Jita local are unaffected by this change.
Lady Areola Fappington
#1277 - 2013-09-13 11:54:23 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:

I would thumbs up if I thought Ziona was kidding. But, I have seen her say some really dumb stuff, so I am not sure she isn't serious.

The other guy? That was classic. I was just about to jump down his throat when I noticed Malcanis' reply and gave it a more thorough look. But then, it might have been that I have been awake all night.

Oh, and to stay on topic, this is a bad change. Revert immediately until more clear language can be arranged for at the local community college.

Poe's law, man, it's a helluva thing,

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#1278 - 2013-09-13 11:57:32 UTC
I think that maybe the word 'clarification' means something else in Iceland....

Either that or this thread is miss-representing itself.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ominaeon
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#1279 - 2013-09-13 12:00:26 UTC
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Alexander_Noir

TL;DR - Impersonation is an integral part of the Gallente/Caldari conflict in game. I guess they'll have to kiss and make up now, though, as it's against the rules.
MissyDark
Carsultyal
#1280 - 2013-09-13 12:01:06 UTC
I didn't feel like reading through the entire thread but did you (CCP) explain why are you making this stupid policy change? Didn't you get the message when you tried to force micro-transactions and other carebear MMO features on your player base? EVE is the go-to MMO for non-fluffy experience. Why are you trying to take away part of the sandbox player-generated content that is scamming? I'm a carebear nowadays and I want to get scammed if I make a mistake. I want to scam other people when I have the occasion. What is the point of this policy. To make game less fun? To make players feel safer? Players do not play EVE to feel safer! Stop micromanaging and limiting player interactions!