These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can we expect a look at torpedoes and missiles battleships post odyssey?

First post
Author
hellcane
Never Back Down
#61 - 2013-09-01 16:17:38 UTC  |  Edited by: hellcane
#1 if looking into torps is to give us back the old explosion visuals.

Also, would be nice to see bomber range on the golem. It will be interesting to see how things work out but a mjd golem with torps just doesn't seem practical with the ranges.
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#62 - 2013-09-01 19:18:13 UTC
Panhead4411 wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

...Blah stuff....

As you can see, you get better max potential damage from the turrets, but the torps give you a lot more range flexibility.

Now, take that comparison and put some real testing on it. Take all three ships and physically SHOOT a large offline POS Tower with them. (or something else large and not moving)

One thing you guys at CCP seem to like to do is look at 'paper' dps only. Occasionally you'll say something about tracking, but that doesn't actually fix the inherent problem with turrets.

If you take those 3 afore mentioned ships (maybe switch hyper to laser boat) and shoot a very large, non-moving target, you will likely see that the turrets will be on par with the cruises, or lower. This is because of the stupid 'dice roll' that they do for dmg, no matter how big or not-moving the target is, the turret will still only average about 60-70% of it's paper DPS(even after factoring in resists). Where as the missiles will do 100% of their dmg, 100% of the time on said target.

This is from a fair amount of practical use, though i could be wrong.

Yes but in a PvP situation good piloting can nullify the tracking lost, whereas missiles dont give a **** about pilot skill, they will never hit for maximum damage. Turrets will.
LiKuei
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#63 - 2013-09-02 00:36:55 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
I appreciate the well constructed post. I can't give you an equally thorough response but I can say a few things on the subject.

First - torps simply perform better than you make it seem using your example. A mega has a tracking bonus for one, so its a weird thing to use for comparison, and theres a lot of other factors which aren't really accounted for. I picked out an example of my own to sort of demonstrate what I mean. This represents a 3bcu cruise raven, a 3bcu torp raven, and a 2mfs hyperion all shooting the same shield extended cruiser that is webbed: http://imgur.com/sP8JJZ6

As you can see, you get better max potential damage from the turrets, but the torps give you a lot more range flexibility. Both weapons are probably better than cruise until you get outside of effective range for them and then cruise takes over. This seems fairly healthy and I'm sure you can give examples where it isn't true, but there's an awful lot where it is true.

Second - and maybe more interesting to you - there's some work being done which will impact this situation. Some of it I can't talk about now but the most important piece is that we're looking seriously at more mod interactions with missiles. A missile equivalent to tracking enhancers, for instance, would allow you the flexibility to gain more damage application and/or range. If we are able to get something like this in before too long, we would likely be re-evaluating the state of all missile systems in relation to the change and some tweaks may happen as a result.

Thanks for the post o/

So what your saying is, missiles are getting a third way (in modules) to offset its CONS. Any idea when the other weapon systems get theirs?
Mournful Conciousness
Embers Children
TOHA Conglomerate
#64 - 2013-09-02 00:41:05 UTC
Icarus Able wrote:
Panhead4411 wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

...Blah stuff....

As you can see, you get better max potential damage from the turrets, but the torps give you a lot more range flexibility.

Now, take that comparison and put some real testing on it. Take all three ships and physically SHOOT a large offline POS Tower with them. (or something else large and not moving)

One thing you guys at CCP seem to like to do is look at 'paper' dps only. Occasionally you'll say something about tracking, but that doesn't actually fix the inherent problem with turrets.

If you take those 3 afore mentioned ships (maybe switch hyper to laser boat) and shoot a very large, non-moving target, you will likely see that the turrets will be on par with the cruises, or lower. This is because of the stupid 'dice roll' that they do for dmg, no matter how big or not-moving the target is, the turret will still only average about 60-70% of it's paper DPS(even after factoring in resists). Where as the missiles will do 100% of their dmg, 100% of the time on said target.

This is from a fair amount of practical use, though i could be wrong.

Yes but in a PvP situation good piloting can nullify the tracking lost, whereas missiles dont give a **** about pilot skill, they will never hit for maximum damage. Turrets will.

But neither will they ever completely miss. Turrets will.

Turrets' damage delivery is volatile, being based in probabilities. Missiles are formulaic and predictable.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".