These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Someone has a 'little' Napoleon complex..

First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#181 - 2013-08-30 06:16:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Taking some space pixels away by means of 1400mm Howitzer Artillery turrets is like taking a life.

Stealing some space pixels is like ravaging a, well you know.

When you shoot a non-blue, it's like, well you also know, ~profiling~ or something

Don't forget, invading someone else's space makes you literally a tinpot failed house painter with a funny 'tache and a dodgy haircut.

You're violently violating their ...

reinforcement timer.


I mean, they might be kicking and screaming as you rip apart the last structural hitpoints on those stations. The betrayal as the station flips to you, the loss of a TCU.

TEST, can you comment as to these very real and painful experiences?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#182 - 2013-08-30 06:23:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Let's all remember that noted EVEO poster had this to say about gankers, scammers, and other lowlifes etc etc in internet spaceships:
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
no more noble or defensible than "She deserved it." or "Blacks/Jews/women/etc. aren't our equals." or "It was a war."

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#183 - 2013-08-30 06:27:01 UTC
I'm wondering how long that part of his post will remain visible? I'm fairly certain that others will find it as offensive as I did and, unlike myself, report it as such.

IB4ISD

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#184 - 2013-08-30 06:29:03 UTC
You know what, since you're so much better than me I will sacrifice myself to

actually I can't be bothered to find the post to report it.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#185 - 2013-08-30 06:38:47 UTC
Why don't you just come out and say it?

"I enjoy harming others, even just emotionally. It gives me pleasure. But, if I do it in the real world directly, I may suffer harm in return, so I just do it through this video game."

Maybe you don't realize that many people who do "bad" things in the real world also have a moral code. Sometimes that code allows them to do their bad deeds outright. Sometimes they circumvent that moral code with clever little word games like by saying, "It's just a game." and "I deserve this." and "This is the last time.". I even know that some people like to "help" other people to circumvent their moral code or completely rewrite it altogether. Do you see anything analagous to that in EVE Online?

Alavaria Fera wrote:
Taking some space pixels away by means of 1400mm Howitzer Artillery turrets is like taking a life.


Is pulling a trigger that much harder than clicking a mouse? Wouldn't you think the real difficulty was in justifying that action? My question, which you can't seem to answer is: How is the decision to do the first action different from the decision to do the second one?
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#186 - 2013-08-30 06:42:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Enhanced interrogation is perfectly legal

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#187 - 2013-08-30 06:47:16 UTC
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:

Is pulling a trigger that much harder than clicking a mouse? Wouldn't you think the real difficulty was in justifying that action? My question, which you can't seem to answer is: How is the decision to do the first action different from the decision to do the second one?
Ahh trivialisation of a life changing decision, true to form.

In answer to your question, impact, one deprives someone of their life, the other deprives someone of a few pixels. The impact of the decision actually makes a difference to the way you make the decision, unless of course you have no respect for human life.

As I said earlier, you appear to have problems with the whole fantasy vs reality thing.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#188 - 2013-08-30 06:48:50 UTC
No it isn't different. Feel bad, criminal scum.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#189 - 2013-08-30 06:51:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:

Is pulling a trigger that much harder than clicking a mouse? Wouldn't you think the real difficulty was in justifying that action? My question, which you can't seem to answer is: How is the decision to do the first action different from the decision to do the second one?
Ahh trivialisation of a life changing decision, true to form.

In answer to your question, impact, one deprives someone of their life, the other deprives someone of a few pixels. The impact of the decision actually makes a difference to the way you make the decision, unless of course you have no respect for human life.

As I said earlier, you appear to have problems with the whole fantasy vs reality thing.

He's slipping.

Compare it to the launching of strategic theatre level weaponry with counter-value objectives. Press butan, ????


(Play Defcon)

(I think you score "higher" by inflicting higher "losses" on the enemy)

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#190 - 2013-08-30 06:55:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Addendum to my previous post.

If I pull the trigger in real life, you don't respawn, you're physically dead.

If I click the mouse and pop your ship, you're not dead, you can come back and try to return the favour, alternatively you can cry in local and refill my tear tank. Even if I pod you, you respawn in a clone vat, you're not dead, just mildly inconvenienced.

I have no problems shooting people in the face in a computer game, I do have a problem with shooting someone in the face in real life, it's one of the reasons I mustered out of the military.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#191 - 2013-08-30 06:56:02 UTC
Maybe he believes in reincarnation

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#192 - 2013-08-30 06:56:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Actually wow, does Defcon reward you for successfully launching against population centers? That's a really immoral game.

Quote:
You play a General hidden deep within an underground bunker. Your mission is to successfully exterminate your enemy's civilian population whilst saving your own. Points are awarded or lost depending on both the efficacy and thoroughness of your nuclear vendetta and the number of your own civilian deaths. In order to win you must wipe out the enemy population and simultaneously disable the enemy's ability to retaliate against you.


That's actually rather harsh. Though no one is every sure is terms like "actually" and "literally" mean anything like actually and literally anymore on the internet.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#193 - 2013-08-30 06:58:07 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Actually wow, does Defcon reward you for successfully launching against population centers? That's a really immoral game.

Rise of Nations rewards you for launching a nuclear strike at opponents that are still using the bow and arrow Shocked

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#194 - 2013-08-30 07:06:22 UTC
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
words


People of sound mind don't compare interactions in a video game to murder.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#195 - 2013-08-30 07:08:02 UTC
It was just a simulation.

It was just an experiment.

Click your heels together three times and repeat these words, "It's just a game . . . It's just a game . . . It's just a game."
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#196 - 2013-08-30 07:40:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
It was just a simulation.

It was just an experiment.

Click your heels together three times and repeat these words, "It's just a game . . . It's just a game . . . It's just a game."

Irrelevant, again.
Neither of your examples deal with computer games, both were experiments designed to see how people act under duress and in potential REAL LIFE situations. I believe there was considerable debate about the ethics of such experiments at the time, they were deemed unethical.

When we're actually immortal, living in another universe, and can fly spaceships with our brains, then you can use real life experiments such as those to illustrate a point about morality.

Try harder.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#197 - 2013-08-30 11:03:31 UTC
There are bad people. -> Some bad people play EVE Online. -> Do they do good in the game?

Some of you seem to me to be "pathological liars". Would you say that lying about the game is "bad", or in some sense immoral?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#198 - 2013-08-30 11:12:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
More grandiose prattle to feed his sense of self importance

The only bad thing about Eve is that people like you are allowed to play it.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#199 - 2013-08-30 11:42:39 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
It was just a simulation.

It was just an experiment.

Click your heels together three times and repeat these words, "It's just a game . . . It's just a game . . . It's just a game."

Irrelevant, again.
Neither of your examples deal with computer games, both were experiments designed to see how people act under duress and in potential REAL LIFE situations. I believe there was considerable debate about the ethics of such experiments at the time, they were deemed unethical.

When we're actually immortal, living in another universe, and can fly spaceships with our brains, then you can use real life experiments such as those to illustrate a point about morality.

Try harder.

He's already a tryhard, no point.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Zappity
Kurved Trading
#200 - 2013-08-30 11:43:32 UTC
This is all far too metaphysical for me. It's simple, really:

Actions in game are not real. A person's response to those actions IS real.

Your in-game actions can make someone happy. You actions can make someone sad.

Whether their emotional response to what happens in a game is appropriate or not (well, it's not) is immaterial. They still have a negative experience. And you choose to cause it.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.