These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Chribba presents another awesome piece of art.

First post
Author
SKINE DMZ
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2013-08-25 12:25:27 UTC
I am sad it is not hand made and I am not in it. Sad

I disagree

Maliandra
Doomheim
#102 - 2013-08-25 15:26:32 UTC
Umm, okay, I don't mean to **** on anyones work but... this is NOT what it seems.

If you zoom in you will notice the only reason it looks like that ship is because of all the effects place on top of the pictures. You could make each of those faces a log of **** and it would still come out looking similar enough.

This kind of artwork is most impressive when the original images being used are not altered or having macro sized effects and layers placed on top of it.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#103 - 2013-08-25 15:28:22 UTC
Chribba wrote:
For those searching for the coordinates the pilots used can be found here, with their pixel location - http://eve-online.in/faces/talwar/pilots.txt

/c

Brilliant!
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#104 - 2013-08-25 15:52:07 UTC
Maliandra wrote:
Umm, okay, I don't mean to **** on anyones work but... this is NOT what it seems.

If you zoom in you will notice the only reason it looks like that ship is because of all the effects place on top of the pictures. You could make each of those faces a log of **** and it would still come out looking similar enough.

This kind of artwork is most impressive when the original images being used are not altered or having macro sized effects and layers placed on top of it.

Not sure what you are talking about? There's no "transparent" image placed on top of it, if so feel free to explain why some of the images are mirrored compared to their originals, surely that would not be needed if there's just a transparent image overlay.

The avatars are indeed allowed to be slightly altered in terms of colors (up to a certain %), as well as being mirrored. Beyond that I'm not sure what macro effects are.

But if you have an easier way to to create stuff like this I'm all ears to learn Smile

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Trudeaux Margaret
University of Caille
#105 - 2013-08-25 16:08:03 UTC
Maliandra wrote:

Look, if you're going to make allegations, then don't sit there behind an NPC corp alt being vague.

Be specific, be downright scientific, run tests, show exactly what's going on. Post results. Use not only your main but also your real name.

If you can't do that, STFU and go away.

> anyone willing to give me like a 5 min politics crash course?

> grr goons, lowsec is full of elitist sh*s, all roads lead to the bittervet pl

Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#106 - 2013-08-25 16:19:21 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
When looking at it on my mobile, i thought "hu ?"

Looking at it on my notebook ...
"Hey, what's with the dots ... *zooms* WOAH!"

Awesome ! :D

When I first looked I was thinking, oh he did a screen shot then [filter[[canvas] tweek, adjust, tweek, adjust, save.

Then I accidentally used the mouse wheel and realized you could zoom in and out and could see the faces when zoomed way in.
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2013-08-25 16:42:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Inokuma Yawara
Maliandra wrote:

You're just sour 'cause your pic wasn't in it....

(... just kidding)

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Darth Espectro
Doomheim
#108 - 2013-08-25 16:47:22 UTC
There are a lot of Sith in that Talwar.

Impressive, Chribba. Most impressive.
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2013-08-25 16:51:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Caviar Liberta
SegaPhoenix wrote:
Chribba wrote:
For those searching for the coordinates the pilots used can be found here, with their pixel location - http://eve-online.in/faces/talwar/pilots.txt

/c

Is it possible to put this in a searchable list?

Go to the find function in your browser. Firefox for example is the the [Firefox] pull down menu upper left corner [Find]
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#110 - 2013-08-25 17:27:40 UTC
For those that think some graphics manipulation of some kind was used to make the picture other than the actual player images check this out.

This is Rozeta Cristofer. First row, 25th image over.

I found the image using Eve Faces

Saved the image and cropped it to size. I assume the images size and quality was reduced in the Talwar to keep the size of the finished image within a reasonable size. Though the Armageddon mosaic weighed in at 46.9MB(file size) 1.5GB(in memory) compared to the 1.4MB(file size) 18.6MB(in memory) for the Talwar.

jpg vs .png makes a big difference I see.

Lady Naween
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#111 - 2013-08-25 20:32:29 UTC
fantastic work even if I didnt make it :(
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#112 - 2013-08-26 03:21:41 UTC
Must not starting looking for familiar faces...

I will not..

No.. That would take all night

NO /o\

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

KingKongBon
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#113 - 2013-08-26 05:09:28 UTC
Talwar done all in feces :)
lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#114 - 2013-08-26 08:40:57 UTC
Damn!!

That's pretty cool, spent a long time looking (all weekend actually lol), then browsed ahead in the forums and found the list of names Oops

I hate you for basing the images off 'likes' Evil

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#115 - 2013-08-26 09:07:02 UTC
lollerwaffle wrote:
Damn!!

That's pretty cool, spent a long time looking (all weekend actually lol), then browsed ahead in the forums and found the list of names Oops

I hate you for basing the images off 'likes' Evil

I didn't based it off "likes", I said colors and the likes, perhaps I should have said colors and such. My apologies. It had absolutely nothing to do with the forums or popularity in any way.

/c

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Tyrton
Imbecile MIiss Managment and Disasters
Intergalactic Interstellar Interns
#116 - 2013-08-26 10:02:03 UTC
Awesome work Chirbs .... I made the last one you did but your faulty (it must be) software did not pick me.Lol
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#117 - 2013-08-26 10:36:47 UTC
20000 faces and im nor my alts any of them.

awww

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Maru Sha
The Department of Justice
#118 - 2013-08-26 11:36:08 UTC
Chribba wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about? There's no "transparent" image placed on top of it, if so feel free to explain why some of the images are mirrored compared to their originals, surely that would not be needed if there's just a transparent image overlay.

The avatars are indeed allowed to be slightly altered in terms of colors (up to a certain %), as well as being mirrored. Beyond that I'm not sure what macro effects are.

But if you have an easier way to to create stuff like this I'm all ears to learn Smile

/c

I'm not Maliandra, but I had the same thought though. There is plenty of software available on the Internet which does exactly what you did. I tested a few of them (tried to generate a face out of many face pictures) and then worked with one of it. The programs would offer you a folder where you save a lot of pictures. Then it will ask you if you allow rotation, flipping, change of saturation, change of brightness etc. of the input file. Then you tell which is the "original picture" which it should assemble and you can later tell the amount of overlay, meaning the amount it should merge the original picture into the mosaic.
Since the mosaic parts are very small, one can't really tell how much, if at all, overlay you had activated. I read you used 20k input picture. Not sure how many pixels your output picture has, but from there you can tell how many pixels per input picture are shown, if you look at it in full size. At that ratio it is hard to tell if how much overlay went into it, and actually it doesn't really matter. The effect that it was made from portraits is also lost in that resolution.
True art comes (from my understanding) when you can achieve the same effect by using considerably less pictures. Let's assume you used 160 x 120 portraits, which is 19,200 portraits in total. Now decrease that to 40 x 30 portraits, which is 1,200 portraits in total.
If you look at one of the launcher points of the Talwar, you can see that it it made from roughly 5 x 7 = portraits. You could try to reduce that to 4 portraits, so that the dark part of it is the black hair or a person, and the bright part of it is the face (just as an idea).
Anyway, I appreciate your effort and artwork and I hope that you take my lines as "constructive criticism". As I already mentioned, I also work on such projects once in a while (though not EVE related), and if you are interested we can learn from each others experience and ideas.

Regards, Maru Sha.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#119 - 2013-08-26 11:50:52 UTC
@Maru Sha
Was probably me misunderstanding the term of overlay there then as I understood it as making a grid of avatars, then simply putting the image on top of it and changing opacity etc which is now how it was done.

It was made with the assistance of software like you described. And ofc the less avatars you could use the cooler,except it would probably look worse (and one of my keys was to get in as many avatars as possible). Input image is 1920x1200, and the output 20000x12500

There's no modification of the original input, merely the amount of tiles are analyzed and avatars closest matching said location on the original image is being used.

In the end it probably was just me misunderstanding the "overlay" part of the previous comment.

/c

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Maru Sha
The Department of Justice
#120 - 2013-08-26 12:16:03 UTC
Ok, then I can understand the message you want to promote here. :-)

It would be unfortunate if some people miss it (as already mentioned here) and not zoom in. When I first looked at it, I thought "okay a Talwar picture with an artificial moiré pattern" until I found the (+) and (-) at the bottom.