These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Too Nasty

First post First post
Author
ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#141 - 2013-08-23 15:07:22 UTC
Moneta Curran wrote:
ChironV wrote:
Conjecture

Seems the only one doing the fapping here is you, oh good samaritan. To brand someone a sociopath or child molester for shooting your internet spaceship is utterly ridiculous.

Could it be that what you are trying to say is that doing such a thing to you in this game is an unspeakable crime?
Isn't that a tad bit narcissistic? Eve is a study in human nature indeed.

No, no fapping here... Although your avatar is kinda cute... Big smile Not a good Samaritan, I just prefer more subtle eve machinations and don't have an uber dark side I need to feed to feel better about myself.

I didn't try to brand him a child molester, in fact you are the first person to accuse him of that. He admitted to his potential to child abuse all on his own. Read the post thread, don't jump to unfounded accusations. Remember Reading is Fundamental Lol

Unspeakable crime... Where the heck did you get that from the posts. Ohh wait that's right (facepalm) you didn't read the thread. In summary, I would prefer he was pew pewing here in Eve so he can feed his dark side and be a good (if false) human on the outside. Getting podded in this game is normal. Cost of doing business in the sandbox.

Oh, OP you still out there

There are good peeps around. They keep a low profile otherwise they get targeted by our resident sociopaths.

This Gal set up The Angel Project. I recommend you give it a read.
http://www.sindelsuniverse.com/?page_id=455
Sort of a Pay it Forward concept.

These corps have some good peeps in them too.
Brave Newbies
RvB
Eve University
Tuskers FFA

Look hard, find some good peeps and then you can have some fun. Make sure you have Teamspeak or Vent.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#142 - 2013-08-23 15:25:06 UTC
Some people just are mentally suited to withstand the realities of EVE Online, yet for some reason they continue to chose to play. EVE being a game means it's a 100% consensual activity unless you somehow find yourself in a Chineses prison. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head and saying "put up with people who do things you don't like, NOW!"
Ankh
Doomheim
#143 - 2013-08-23 15:57:48 UTC
Yes, carebears have become an endangered species. Too much hi-sec ganking going on now, the in-game economics for a casual player just don't add up anymore.

The odds are no longer in my favour.

So yesterday I just decided to quit and put 230 mill SP's in the biomass queue this morning.

10 years of continuous pilots license on my main, without a break. It's been a blast, enjoyed every minute of it, EVE has been a great escape from RL. But the succession of insta-pop ganks I've suddenly exerienced in hi-sec recently have shown me it's time to call it a day. Can't even fly home safely now from a level 4 mission. Sucks.

Credit where it's due to you guys who have made hi-sec ganking work for you, I understand how it pays having lost some very expensive stuff recently... but it's squeezed me out.

I've already sold all my remaining stuff, so no you can't have it. Lol A lot of guys in the trade hubs will have done nicely out of my selling everything off (man some of your buy orders are mean), and I've given all my iskies to players I know who will make good use of it.

Heading back to RL and stuff that matters in life.

Ankh.

Veteran of the _Coalition of Free Stars Alliance **_and **The Big Blue.

**CALDARI MEN ARE BORING!    **Matari girls always give the best pew-pew.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#144 - 2013-08-23 16:04:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Ankh wrote:

10 years of continuous pilots license on my main, without a break. It's been a blast, enjoyed every minute of it, EVE has been a great escape from RL. But the succession of insta-pop ganks I've suddenly exerienced in hi-sec recently have shown me it's time to call it a day. Can't even fly home safely now from a level 4 mission. Sucks.

Heading back to RL and stuff that matters in life.

Ankh.

You have lost all of 3 ships the past year.......and the one you just lost was an Uber-bling Fit Golem that was of course targeted in Caldari Space.

Nope. It's not your fault at all. Roll

edit: (The other 2 were a Shuttle and your pod in Amamake, and you were surprised ?)

Got the give-ups did you ?

Or realized you can't replace that 4.7 Bill ISK Golem loss ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Bruce Kemp
Best Kept Dunked
#145 - 2013-08-23 16:05:07 UTC
EVE is a player Vs player game, its nearly impossible to avoid. Twisted
Pap Uhotih
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#146 - 2013-08-23 16:34:49 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
I have been ganked and pod killed for no reason.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

I think you are simply discovering some of the areas where the game is weak.
At the core of Eve is the idea of three tiers of security which is a fundamental of the design that CCP has failed to maintain. Low and null don’t really need any ongoing attention but the players have had time to explore and learn to exploit the mechanics that have been put in place in high sec. That should really trigger a re-evaluation of the implementation against the design, is the tedious and formulaic game play of Eve intentional or an inevitable by-product of not keeping up with the players. That is not to say that ganking shouldn’t happen but it shouldn’t be so boring.

The war system is completely ridiculous. It could easily be described as game breaking as it undoes a lower level rule; whilst it may only allow a single corporation to target you that is sufficient to have the effect of placing the player in null sec. One psychopath hell bent on killing you camped on your doorstep is not mitigated by a street full of neighbours who are not. The duration, frequency and price of them is also quite odd, especially when null and low already provide for combat and things to actually fight about. There should the ability to fight in high sec but there should be some sense to it. Counting victory in isk is another oddity; you can win every battle, destroy all the enemy assets and lose.
Unfortunately the vocal part of the community would have a complete hissy fit if CCP even broke wind in the direction of this much disliked system so it seems as if everyone’s stuck with it and the endless joy it brings.

Eve shouldn’t be nice; it wouldn’t be interesting trying to achieve your goals if it was completely straight forward. However that shouldn’t mean that the game (in high sec) need be hinged on the exploitation of oversights or a desperate desire to cling to bad ideas. The game should feel as though it is moving forward and is being developed but it seems to have stagnated with effort only put into tweaking the interface or ship variables rather than addressing any larger issue.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#147 - 2013-08-23 16:41:16 UTC
Djini wrote:
"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Thucydides

Might makes Right.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#148 - 2013-08-23 16:50:59 UTC
Pap Uhotih wrote:

I think you are simply discovering some of the areas where the game is weak.
At the core of Eve is the idea of three tiers of security which is a fundamental of the design that CCP has failed to maintain. Low and null don’t really need any ongoing attention but the players have had time to explore and learn to exploit the mechanics that have been put in place in high sec. That should really trigger a re-evaluation of the implementation against the design, is the tedious and formulaic game play of Eve intentional or an inevitable by-product of not keeping up with the players. That is not to say that ganking shouldn’t happen but it shouldn’t be so boring.

Everything is in place in High Sec for exactly how EVE was designed and it's biggest marketing point:

EVE is all about its Community and Community Generated Content. Period and final.

If one finds it lacking or boring, that is simply the fault of the player(s).

And you wanna see formulaic gameplay, you know where the other MMO's are, and in which direction.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#149 - 2013-08-23 16:52:44 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
Djini wrote:
"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Thucydides

Might makes Right.

Sorta. Right (The Moral High Ground) is just tremendously expensive Real Estate. Smile

Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#150 - 2013-08-23 16:52:55 UTC
Jose Black wrote:
If you get a war declared on your corp you can:

• leave the corp and stay in a npc corp while it lasts
  • completely ignore them and stay out of their way; do not talk to them at all and especially do not post about it on forums; better only log in to change skills and to check if the war still lasts
  • tease them with a shuttle or cloaky ship; make them feel as if you were hunting them without giving them a chance to shoot you; if they actually catch you congratulate them because they deserve the kill; see it as some sports event
  • move to a low sec area and go explore in a cheap setup / ship; if you are in insecure space you expect to get shot anyways and thus won't be surprised or sad about it; the war targets won't follow you there because they can't calculate their risk as they can with your corp; their big and fancy ships are good at blowing yours up but would at the same time make juicy targets for gangs of pirates in low sec space

Xavier Perez wrote:
[..] in the 0.2 space [..] I could easily kill them with a single bomb[..]
Bombs do not work in space with 0.2 security rating.

good catch. sorry i meant -.2

Also for the OP - http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv13/poopbunz/BAWWW1.jpg?t=1281422836
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#151 - 2013-08-23 17:39:42 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:

I know you are right and its only a game. But it just seems that the wrong aspects of the real world out there, seem to be coming through more and more in the game.

I know most of you will think I'm a pathetic wimp. But its almost like the worst aspect of human nature is coming through. I don't like that. There should be a balance.

The thing is, it's just like real life. The solution is not to make eye contact with the nutter. In a war situation, that means either not logging in or not undocking, unless you want to PvP of course. If you give people easy kills, they'll keep coming back for more.

You're right about the worst of Human nature. But Eve has always been like that.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#152 - 2013-08-23 19:29:32 UTC
Ruskarn Andedare wrote:
Mag's wrote:
I love how some cannot differentiate between a sandbox game and RL. To suggest someone would slap their child, if not for podding someone a few times, is utterly ridiculous. Much like suggesting if people didn't play chess, they would murder their heads of state. Roll

Excepting that that is exactly what he said he would do:

Xavier Perez wrote:
Also some previous posters are right. In the real world I'm a college educated generally nice guy with a family. In eve, I get to have a vent for my darker side, which would probably at least vent in some ways in my real life without that safety valve, so Eve is doing its part to make the world a brighter place on its own. I have a harmless vent that doesn't hurt anyone in the real world.

I do my part to spread misery and watch New Eden burn, but in the real world I give to charity and help rebuild houses damaged by storms on my free time.

Far better to slap your Vexor than to slap my child after a sour day at work.

You didn't actually read the related posts before posting your words of wisdom did you?
Get a sarcasm detector that actually works, then come back with some words of wisdom regarding whether Xavier Perez was being serious or not. Blink

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#153 - 2013-08-23 22:40:37 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
Djini wrote:

Thucydides

Might makes Right.

Sorta. Right (The Moral High Ground) is just tremendously expensive Real Estate. Smile

thus why being amoral (don't confuse with immoral btw) is, sometimes, the better approach.

not that is a good approach tho, just better, as in avoiding the moral traps that exist at the same time you're still... well.. somewhat not a bastard.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#154 - 2013-08-23 22:46:55 UTC
I have no sympathy for the op, New Eden was never meant to be a nice place. The op should slip over the border to low and wait out the wardec whilst getting used to life in low. High sec griefer corps need the protection of high sec to function, that's why they wont follow you in to low, it's too even for them.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Neuronia deBuissy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#155 - 2013-08-23 23:39:40 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:

I know you are right and its only a game. But it just seems that the wrong aspects of the real world out there, seem to be coming through more and more in the game.

I know most of you will think I'm a pathetic wimp. But its almost like the worst aspect of human nature is coming through. I don't like that. There should be a balance.

I hear ya but you too can avoid the interlopers on your corp. Bring up the Corp in your EVE Mon and flag their members at red rating. Keep your eyes on local chat or your display for red signals and hightail it out of there. Or...go to Nullsec and see what you find. In my limited time here I've noticed that HighSec wardecs usually don't tail us into NullSec. We got wardeced a few weeks ago, made some alliances and lost 0 ISK in ships to their 50,000,000 (?) for War Declaration.

If you can't outshoot them outsmart them. You can do it!

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#156 - 2013-08-24 04:22:42 UTC
THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO BECOME BATMAN OR POSSIBLY GREEN LANTERN AND SAVE THE UNIVERSE. MAYBE AQUAMAN HE CAN TALK TO WHALES AND THERE ARE A LOT OF FAT PEOPLE IN EVE.
DSpite Culhach
#157 - 2013-08-24 05:37:45 UTC
TL;DR

I somewhat agree with the OP, but this happens somewhat everywhere. A mate bought me a 60 day for WoW once cause he had time off and wanted to co-op, and the "kiddies" there camped my corpse a lot while making references to my mom; At least in EVE so far they just killed me and moved on :)

To the OP: It's not that bad. EVE players just take this game more seriously, cause lost assets hurt playtime.

---

I have mostly found that when games/social hangouts/chatrooms/etc allow people to be faceless, those people become "worse" then what they would be face to face, even if only a little bit, it's just something that happens when you can't see the other person and see their reactions and know they can't be touched physically.

On that note, EVE is a lot better then most other games in this respect. Most of the players in EVE have to show a lot more dedication then other games you can just "grind" to high levels and gear, or be level rushed there, so if a 5 year "vet" in EVE ganks my ass in high sec, well, I guess I have to admire that someone has stuck around for 5 damn years of SP grind just so he can shoot me in the face to break the monotony.

I'm hardly playing EVE atm for similar reasons to the OP (and a heart-rate that wont drop below 110), and I have a ton of other games I like as well, but the good thing about EVE is that unlike other MMO's I have seen so far (and for the record, I play games to mess with "fun mechanics", so I'm also keeping an eye out in 2014 for Everquest Next and Skyrim Online) EVE Online has put out some decent expansion in the last year, so to me, just skilling up for a few months just to spend a few weeks on expansion content is quite acceptable.

EVE is the only game so far I have played where assets are lost permanently - I don't think Minecraft counts :) - so It's not surprising people get so upset when you blow up a ship worth "the last 3 weeks of running anomalies in nullsec", then again, why were they flying a ship worth 3 weeks of playtime if they could not afford losing it?

I apparently have no idea what I'm doing.

Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#158 - 2013-08-24 20:47:49 UTC
ChironV wrote:
Moneta Curran wrote:
Seems the only one doing the fapping here is you, oh good samaritan. To brand someone a sociopath or child molester for shooting your internet spaceship is utterly ridiculous..

Where the heck did you get that from the posts. (..bla..)

There are good peeps around. They keep a low profile otherwise they get targeted by our resident sociopaths.

Heh. I put those words right into your mouth right?

Maliandra
Doomheim
#159 - 2013-08-25 15:35:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Maliandra
Osileon Yoshimeru wrote:
If you feel that way then its time to play another game. Nobody wants to hear your sob story “this is what I think eve should be like” moans.

Go watch the simpsons or something
Why are you being such a jerk? I really don't understand people like you. What exactly happened in your life to make you so inconsiderate and disrespectful as an adult?

Anyways...

The problem in EVE is not the violence and potential for death in any situation; it's the flawed personalities that tend to be drawn towards this game. Unfortunately the system that was put in place to create PvP fun is mostly used as a means of griefing, trolling, and having fun at the expense of others.

If the community had some dignity they would recognize which players are just there for casual, PvE fun and would not endlessly harass them as a means of enjoyment through their frustrations. Yet they choose to do that. Many, many of them. Why? Probably failed upbringings, but who really knows.

The community is just sick, and CCP more or less supports it. The amount of posts I see on this forum alone that should result in an in-game ban of the character. CCP supports griefing and cyberbullying, they need to grow up.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#160 - 2013-08-25 17:38:45 UTC
Maliandra wrote:
Osileon Yoshimeru wrote:
If you feel that way then its time to play another game. Nobody wants to hear your sob story “this is what I think eve should be like” moans.

Go watch the simpsons or something
Why are you being such a jerk? I really don't understand people like you. What exactly happened in your life to make you so inconsiderate and disrespectful as an adult?

Anyways...

The problem in EVE is not the violence and potential for death in any situation; it's the flawed personalities that tend to be to wardsowards this game. Unfortunately the system that was put in place to create PvP fun is mostly used as a means of griefing, trolling, and having fun at the expense of others.

If the community had some dignity they would recognize which players are just there for casual, PvE fun and would not endlessly harass them as a means of enjoyment through their frustrations. Yet they choose to do that. Many, many of them. Why? Probably failed upbringings, but who really knows.

The community is just sick, and CCP more or less supports it. The amount of posts I see on this forum alone that should result in an in-game ban of the character. CCP supports griefing and cyberbullying, they need to grow up.

If you think all of this, why are you still here? No one forces you to play or interact with the community here.

There is immaturity involved, but it's not with the people playing the game in an interesting way.

No, the immaturity comes from people like you. People who refuse to understand that EVE was created by Icelandic psychos for the express purpose of giving the player maximum freedom (regardless of where that leads). The immaturity comes from those people who think they are somehow being "freedom fighters" against "the griefers" by opposing them on an internet game forum lol.

The immaturity (or rather, insanity) comes from people playing a game they don't like with a community they dispise while thinking it's everyone else that's screwed up in the head..... I'll bet the same people play Grand Theft Auto Online with the express purpose of NOT killing and robbing the prostitutes....